Apple designer Jony Ive rumored to be considering move back to UK

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple's lead designer Jony Ive is said to be on the cusp of cashing in some $30 million in stock options, and eyeing a move back to his home country of the U.K.

According to the Times of London (behind a paywall, via TUAW), Ive, the senior vice president of industrial design at Apple, was given a "golden handcuffs" option grant in 2008. Since then, the amount has grown so much that Ive's profits could amount to $30 million in U.S. dollars.

In all, Ive is said to be worth about $128 million, and he owns a house in Somerset, U.K., reportedly worth about $4 million. It's the distance from his home to Apple's Cupertino, Calif., campus that's said to have caused him and Apple's board to be "at loggerheads."

The report said that Ive and his wife Heather are considering a move back to England with their twin sons for their education. But an anonymous friend of the family reportedly said that Apple would not be able to keep his current position with the company if he leaves its California headquarters.

Ive is Apple's lead designer and often heralded as an important component of the company's success, crafting icon products like the iPod, iphone and iPad. Last July, Fortune magazine named Ive the smartest designer in the technology industry.

An Apple spokesperson told the Times that the company would have no comment on the claimed $30 million option grant. Ive's alleged interest in moving back to England was called "speculation."

Questions of Ive's future with Apple come just over a month after the company's chief executive, Steve Jobs, announced he would take a leave of absence for health reasons. Though he has not participated in his day-to-day duties at Apple, leaving them to Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook, he did appear at a meeting of Silicon Valley luminaries with President Obama. He turned 56 last Thursday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 146
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Would not the new HD FaceTime camera and a high speed internet connection make it like he is there even when he's not?

I suppose there might security concerns etc with information and or prototypes being ferried back and forth across the pond (physically or electronically) - but in this day and age for a technology company not to have remote office workers seems kinda silly.
  • Reply 2 of 146
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Everything in the natural world obeys this law

Birth

rising

shining

decay

death

Apple is beginning it decay stage

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's lead designer Jony Ive is said to be on the cusp of cashing in some $30 million in stock options, and eyeing a move back to his home country of the U.K.

According to the Times of London (behind a paywall, via TUAW), Ive, the senior vice president of industrial design at Apple, was given a "golden handcuffs" option grant in 2008. Since then, the amount has grown so much that Ive's profits could amount to $30 million in U.S. dollars.

In all, Ive is said to be worth about $128 million, and he owns a house in Somerset, U.K., reportedly worth about $4 million. It's the distance from his home to Apple's Cupertino, Calif., campus that's said to have caused he and Apple's board to be "at loggerheads."

The report said that Ive and his wife Heather are considering a move back to England with their twin sons for their education. But an anonymous friend of the family reportedly said that Apple would not be able to keep his current position with the company if he leaves its California headquarters.

Ive is Apple's lead designer and often heralded as an important component of the company's success, crafting icon products like the iPod, iphone and iPad. Last July, Fortune magazine named Ive the smartest designer in the technology industry.

An Apple spokesperson told the Tiems that the company would have no comment on the claimed $30 million option grant. Ive's alleged interest in moving back to England was called "speculation."

Questions of Ive's future with Apple come soon just over a month after the company's chief executive, Steve Jobs, announced he would take a leave of absence for health reasons. Though he has not participated in his day-to-day duties at Apple, leaving them to Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook, he did appear at a meeting of Silicon Valley luminaries with President Obama. He turned 56 last Thursday.

• Reply 3 of 146
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Would not the new HD FaceTime camera and a high speed internet connection make it like he is there even when he's not?

No. Technology has come such a long, long way... but there is no such thing as a replacement for actually being there.
  • Reply 4 of 146
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Birth

rising

shining

decay

death

I agree with all but the last line. It's still too soon to tell..

Things do seem like they are changing, but we could just be witnessing a "changing of the guards," and who knows where the next shift will take the company.
  • Reply 5 of 146
    Quote:

Birth

rising

shining

decay

death

I guess your knowledge about business is so incredible! I bet that your success is amazing! after reading your incredible statement, I am sure business leaders all over the world would love to hear more from you..

George
  • Reply 6 of 146
    Lol, maybe you are already beyond decay and thus not thinking straight?

They are definately past rising, but have not yet past shining. Where would you put Microsoft and Nokia then?

Quote:

Birth

rising

shining

decay

death

• Reply 7 of 146
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:

Well, from the early 90's until a year or so after Jobs return everyone had pretty much pronounced Apple as being dead. There were daily news stories pronouncing Apple's imminent death. And yet, here we are..... Never mind that some analysts view Apple as being undervalued.

You're in the wrong decade. Let's not start this again.
  • Reply 8 of 146
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

I suppose there might security concerns etc with information and or prototypes being ferried back and forth across the pond (physically or electronically) - but in this day and age for a technology company not to have remote office workers seems kinda silly.

I doubt Jony's job would be easy to do remotely from the UK. I don't care how good today's technology is, seeing, physically feeling and holding products can't be duplicated electronicaly. Having key design personnel in different locations could easily become a logistics and security nightmare.

I'd hate to see Jony leave Apple so IMO having a remote or part-time Jony Ive, a proven design genius, would be better than having him leave.
  • Reply 9 of 146
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Why can't they just agree on a remote office?
  • Reply 10 of 146
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Whilst I can work from home as a generic office worker, I am not sure that an engineer whose job involves designing/testing/prototyping physical objects would get away with it...
  • Reply 11 of 146
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    PS, Apple is Doomed! (TM)
  • Reply 12 of 146
    Sorry to say this, but the standard of that article was very poor. The prose did not flow, there were fragmented sentences and there were several typos, as well as poor overall structure.
  • Reply 13 of 146
    Quote:

Apple talks a lot of talk about security etc, telling every other company how great it is. Wouldn't look good for them to show a lack of faith

Plus once they got to the prototype stages, who says they would ship them to Ive rather than him coming back for a few weeks
  • Reply 14 of 146
    The whole story seems a little weird.
  • Reply 15 of 146
    I'm a US citizen and I've been spending two weeks a year in the UK for the last few years. I'd move there in a heartbeat if I could find a reasonable job there (I'm a PhD type). Given his design aesthetic, and our walmart culture here in the USA, that doesn't surprise me a bit.

Sheldon
  • Reply 16 of 146
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    If the guy wants to leave, then he's going to leave. He's already made a lot of money, I doubt anything can stop him if that's what he's decided upon.
  • Reply 17 of 146
    I have mentioned in several posts my concern about Ive leaving Apple, mostly in the context of him leaving if Jobs was not there. But knowing that he bought the house in England a while back, I have suspected that he wanted to return. It is easy to understand that he would prefer to have his kids receive a British education.

I hope they can work out some arrangement to keep Ive on-board at Apple but it will be difficult - Apple's design process is likely very organic and the ability for the quick back-and-forth would be negated with the design lead in England.
  • Reply 18 of 146
    modemode Posts: 163member
    What does it say about the American educational system (even private) - when one of the most brilliant industrial designers of our time wants to leave so his kids can have a decent education?

When all the intellectuals and great minds start leaving the country... watch out.
  • Reply 19 of 146
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

Birth

rising

shining

decay

death

How can you possibly think this? Mac, iPhone, iPad and ATV product sales are still on the upswing without a dud product in years. What evidence are you basing your decay theory on?
  • Reply 20 of 146
    Maybe he is out of ideas. So much perfection can only be obtained once.