Apple's iPad 2 unveiling viewed as 'crucial' to stay ahead of competition

Comments

• Reply 101 of 143
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

Well, yes and no, Honeycomb is _supposed_ to fix the 'scaled up phone apps' problem, and even though the way by which it should do this remains conspicuously non-apparant to me, I suppose it probably has everything needed to write applications that are at least as good as on iOS. But that's not enough, someone first has to do it. Personally, I'm a really big fan of almost all Apple hardware and software, and as a developer I absolutely love the tools I have at my disposal to create great applications with. But I'm not narrow-minded enough to refuse to refocus on other platforms if they attract my attention. The WebOS slate for example might turn out to be a very interesting platform. Honeycomb on the other hand, to me is just a whole lot of hot air for now. I don't like how it looks, I don't know what it has that makes it so great, and I don't see the strategy, determination and vision behind it that I see with the iPad or the WebOS slate. It all seems too much like a tool to serve Googles interest, which is conveniently adopted by 100% hardware manufacturers like Samsung and LG, who don't have the resources or intent to develop or maintain a platform themselves. HP invested (I think) $2 billion dollars buying Palm, which to me lends them some credibility (and the funny thing is that I absolutely hated everything else coming from HP the last few years). Samsung, LG, Motorola, MSI, on the other hand, they have nothing but hardware an buoys marketing clearly directed at the wrong audience (people who like technology for more than just how well it works in practice).

I think everything is there for Honeycomb tablets to be serious iPad contenders, but I'm still extremely skeptical if someone will be able to get all the pieces together and actually grab that opportunity. Right now, I predict the various Android tablets will mainly compete against each other, the hardware manufacturers will be fast to abandon their products in favor of releasing new ones, rush unfinished products to the market and alienate customers while doing it. Someone needs to step in an steer Android in one direction instead of mindlessly repeating the 'choice is good, Android is open, anything is possible' mantra. In terms of building a platform that can reach critical mass, you need direction, vision, long term strategy, and execution. Since Google doesn't make its own hardware, and the manufacturers that do are only interested in selling volume, not in building the platform, I don't know where any of this should come from.

So summarizing, I don't think Apple has a lot to worry from Android tablets for now, no matter how good the Android tablet hardware is, and no matter how much potential Honeycomb has.

Not trying to rag on you here, but if you would add a little "white space" in your posts they would be a lot easier to read .... especially on "tired eyes" like mine.

I suspect you have a lot of interesting points of view ..... problem is, I get about 2 sentences in and find it difficult to "stay interested" as it seems like "work" to stay focussed. I will appreciate what ever you can do to make your posts more "readable". TIA ....
  • Reply 102 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Which stinks of a product that was rushed to market, unfinished, in an attempt to get some traction in the tablet race.

Well to be 100% fair it took a little time for many of the apps I use to be optimized for the iPad I see the same thing with the Xoom. That situation could ramp up quickly.

The biggest issue I see is everyone being in bed with the networks and not having a wifi only version at a better price point. I see that as killing sales.
  • Reply 103 of 143
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Well to be 100% fair it took a little time for many of the apps I use to be optimized for the iPad I see the same thing with the Xoom. That situation could ramp up quickly.

The biggest issue I see is everyone being in bed with the networks and not having a wifi only version at a better price point. I see that as killing sales.

You make a good point, but what I've seen and read about the Xoom, it still feels rushed to me. Even the latest commercial seems odd because the screen on the tablet appears to be composited in.
  • Reply 104 of 143
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Partial quote:

A ton of guys will be passing iPad -1s to their kids and wives and buying version 2. Just watch.

Not only that, all Apple products hold their value extraordinarily well. It's trivial to sell your iPad1 online and essentially get a huge discount on your brand new iPad2.

Can't do that with an Android product since they have no real value on the used market. Lot's of folks will be upgrading just for FaceTime capability.
  • Reply 105 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

iOS 5 is more crucial than the iPad2 device. There are many lacking features and annoyances in that OS.

I doubt Apple will release iOS 5 tomorrow -- the developers are still testing 4.3 beta 3 which hasn't been updated since Feb 1.

So, those hoping for things like home-screen widgets, better notifications, more robust multitasking, etc. -- will be disappointed.

However, Apple could preview/demo new iOS enhancements at tomorrow's event.

If the iPad hardware is upgraded as expected (Dual Duallys), Apple could exploit it by adding OpenCL and GCD to iOS. This would allow developers to more easily exploit the hardware -- new potential apps made practical, faster graphics, lower power requirements, etc.

This all takes time -- there are APIs in 4.3 that are yet to be exploited by developer apps (or Apple).

I am just not sure how these would be made available to developers -- a new 4.3 beta or a iOS 5 pre-release.
  • Reply 106 of 143
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    The fud-ometer broke with the remark about Apple needing to convince iPad 1 owners to upgrade to the iPad 2. The iPad isn't a disposable computer and Apple doesn't need to do that. In fact, it could bite Apple in the long run if iPad 1 owners feel horribly outclassed tomorrow. The iPad 2 isn't the end of the line for the platform--there's plenty of time for Apple to produce an iPad at an appropriate time for iPad 1 owners to upgrade.
  • Reply 107 of 143
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Not trying to rag on you here, but if you would add a little "white space" in your posts they would be a lot easier to read .... especially on "tired eyes" like mine.

I suspect you have a lot of interesting points of view ..... problem is, I get about 2 sentences in and find it difficult to "stay interested" as it seems like "work" to stay focussed. I will appreciate what ever you can do to make your posts more "readable". TIA ....

No offense taken, I'll keep that in mind.

I've edited my post and paragraphed a little more if you still want to read it,
  • Reply 108 of 143
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

You make a good point, but what I've seen and read about the Xoom, it still feels rushed to me. Even the latest commercial seems odd because the screen on the tablet appears to be composited in.

I'm not sure what the deal is with no Wifi only version of these tablets. A friend of mine has one it also feels heavy too me compared to my iPad. So the back is made out of an odd rubber which also feels odd.
  • Reply 109 of 143
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crift2012 View Post

Can you find any evidence that andriod has even put a dent in AAPLs iOS profit? Andriod can gobble all the marketshare they want on the race to bottom with zero sum profit margins. The tablet game is different than the cell phone game. If the competition can only get their tablets priced competitively with a 2-year contract then game over.

I hope you're right as I'm an Apple fan. Time will tell.
  • Reply 110 of 143
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Ireland is (as usual) so slow to listen and so quick to find fault that he tries to condemn BOTH the writer of this column and myself in one blow, which is pretty awkward. This column's writer is, in fact, not wrong, but misdirected. I have attempted to point out the needed adjustment (rather than just trash the guy, as Ireland sadly is bent on doing).

I love you too. Ouch! Untwist those knickers. In this case I believe the analyst is making a valid point, in terms of all the new tablets we know are coming this year. Apple needs to do something nice to stay ahead, which they probably will. But like we all are saying in this thread, the analyst is adding nothing we don't already know. That's all I'm saying. I think it's a valid point. And you're going for the jugular.
  • Reply 111 of 143
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

I have 1469 apps installed on my iPad occupying 45 GB of space. So the 59.2 GB (net) model seems inadequate to me.

You may want to put in for a Guinness World Record. How do you remember all of the apps you have, much less make use of them all? That's more apps than there are minutes in a day! As much as we all love our iPads, you might be ready for a little rebalancing in your life!
  • Reply 112 of 143
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

The fact that there are going to be a 100 Android tablet releases this year only makes Apple's life easier. Real competition will not come from 100 different tablets, none of which will ever get any significant marketshare individually, real competition will come from a single tablet that offers real and recognizable advantages over the iPad. Right now, none of the Android tablets seem to have anything going against the iPad except a spec sheet, and even that gap will probably be closed far enough to be irrelevant tomorrow.

If anything, 100 Android tablets hitting the market will fragment Honeycomb just like it fragmented Android on smartphones, up to the point that no single, stabilized hardware/software spec will ever gain critical mass to make it interesting to AAA developers to invest millions into something like the Rage or Unreal engine. There will be expensive high-end Android tablets like the Xoom or the Samsung thing, there will be cheap low-quality Android tablets from the likes of Archos or MSI, there will be dual-core ARM based ones, Rockchip x86 based ones, Oak Trail based x86 ones, some with a single-core PowerVR GPU, some with a dual-core one, some with Nvidia Tegra2 graphics, some with Intel Integrated graphics, some will get updated beyond 3.0, some wont, some will have better resolution than the iPad, some will have worse, 7", 8", 9", 10", and so on, and so forth. Just because there will be so much variation, the people buying these Android tablets will again not be able to enjoy any kind of application that really needs to get the most out of the hardware it is running, since every application will again be programmed to the lowest common denominator. Not really a problem for many applications, but definitely a problem for high-performance games, anything graphics related or anything that requires huge investments to develop.

Couldn't stop myself

to continue .. 4"( I guess when some one doesn't like to listen and put a phone OS into a tablet then who will stop him from doing the other way), 5", 6", 7", 8", 9", 10", 11", 13", 15", 17", 20", 27", 30".

Imagine carrying the 30" cinematic tablet around.
  • Reply 113 of 143
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crift2012 View Post

Can you find any evidence that andriod has even put a dent in AAPLs iOS profit? Andriod can gobble all the marketshare they want on the race to bottom with zero sum profit margins. The tablet game is different than the cell phone game. If the competition can only get their tablets priced competitively with a 2-year contract then game over.

I think this is really the crux of the issue. If you have to pay as much or more for an Android tablet, which may be only 7", plus commit to a 2-year data contract, very few people besides hard core Android geeks and a handful of people who have conceived an irrational dislike for Apple are going to buy one and commit to paying at least the price of their tablet again over two years. Even with the 3G version of the iPad, you are not committed to pay for service every month, only when you need it.

And why would they with few available Android tablet optimized apps, and a lower cost option that's actually better? It's just not a smart choice and most consumers aren't that dumb.
  • Reply 114 of 143
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I doubt Apple will release iOS 5 tomorrow -- the developers are still testing 4.3 beta 3 which hasn't been updated since Feb 1.

So, those hoping for things like home-screen widgets, better notifications, more robust multitasking, etc. -- will be disappointed.

However, Apple could preview/demo new iOS enhancements at tomorrow's event.

If the iPad hardware is upgraded as expected (Dual Duallys), Apple could exploit it by adding OpenCL and GCD to iOS. This would allow developers to more easily exploit the hardware -- new potential apps made practical, faster graphics, lower power requirements, etc.

This all takes time -- there are APIs in 4.3 that are yet to be exploited by developer apps (or Apple).

I am just not sure how these would be made available to developers -- a new 4.3 beta or a iOS 5 pre-release.

GCD is already there check session 206 WWDC 10. I agree it's not running on SMP right now.
  • Reply 115 of 143
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samban View Post

GCD is already there check session 206 WWDC 10. I agree it's not running on SMP right now.

Yeah, I am hoping the iPad 2 has enough hardware to do a reasonable job of stand-alone video editing with a touch interface on a large (enough) screen -- iMovie for starters.

I'd love to see an iMovie demo at tomorrow's event.

Further, I would like to use an iPad 2 as a control surface/graphics tablet to interface the coming Pro apps like FCP, Motion -- and maybe even some sort of node-based touch interface.

Maybe have to wait to see these demoed, though!
  • Reply 116 of 143
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Apple doesn't lag behind on specs with their iOS devices. They are always better than or at least equal to anything else on the market at the time of launch, unless you're talking about HDMI ports or SD slots or something. CPU, graphics and battery are always top notch.

Well explain the Apole TV 2 and it's lack of 1080p....
  • Reply 117 of 143
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Some analyst claimed that iPad market share would drop to 60% in 2011, leaving 40% to all the iPad competitors. If so, and if there will in fact be 100 iPad competitors, then each of those competitors will get an average of 1/100th of 40% market share.

That's 0.4% market share per competitor. Slim pickings.
  • Reply 118 of 143
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Well explain the Apole TV 2 and it's lack of 1080p....

Bandwidth. The US lags behind many other countries in terms of data-to-consumer speeds.

If you were forced to wait for 1080p content (roughly 2x the size of 720p) you'd be complaining about that. Take your pick.
  • Reply 119 of 143
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Some analyst claimed that iPad market share would drop to 60% in 2011, leaving 40% to all the iPad competitors. If so, and if there will in fact be 100 iPad competitors, then each of those competitors will get an average of 1/100th of 40% market share.

That's 0.4% market share per competitor. Slim pickings.

That's 0.4% per device. Since Samsung, LG, HTC and others are likely to release multiple devices, they would have a higher share as a competitor.
  • Reply 120 of 143
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

This is Steve Jobs' baby--he's going to be there to give the keynote.

He will be there sure. But the form now is to have a bunch of different folks involved to dispel the notion that Jobs does everything

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Regarding tomorrow's announcement, I have a funny feeling they may pull a Mac Mini on us, and up the floor price by $100.

Agreed. By way of dumping the wifi models

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

analysts will look to see how well Apple handles the debut of its second-generation iPad with Chief Executive Steve Jobs on a medical leave of absence.

Unlike last time, there has been no major stock drop etc. I don't think this is that important

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

iPad 1 users are not likely to upgrade to iPad 2.

Outside of businesses and schools, a good half of users will upgrade. Simply because it is Apple and new