If 'App Store' trademark is generic, so is Microsoft's 'Windows,' Apple argues

Comments

• Reply 61 of 151
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Nobody ever even used the term "App" until Apple popularized it ...

i strongly suspect you forgot the term killer app in the context it was used several decades ago.

anyways, the real issue is the trademark filing of 'App Store' as it pertains to a service from which people can purchase software products.
  • Reply 62 of 151
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

No, it's designed around a SCREENED system, with different screens for different functions.

The whole point of picking "Windows" as a name was that it was like opening a window to a new experience with each screen. As I said before, even today many people still refer to each window as a screen (mainly the old guys I work with who have been in IT for many many years.)

As far as I know the first use of graphical user interface utilizing the word window to describe the windowing environment was Smalltalk - 1972.
  • Reply 63 of 151
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

No, it's designed around a SCREENED system, with different screens for different functions.

The whole point of picking "Windows" as a name was that it was like opening a window to a new experience with each screen. As I said before, even today many people still refer to each window as a screen (mainly the old guys I work with who have been in IT for many many years.)

So "Windows" is a creative term used to differentiate a specific operating system.

If apple called their store the "iOS app store" and Microsoft called it the same, then obviously this would all make sense

There's nothing creative about the term window. It was already in use when Windows was first introduced. Your argument holds as much water as me saying "computers don't run apps, they run programs and apps and application are creative terms". As an example, the w and x window systems were introduced before Windows 1 and a long time before Windows 3.1 when it went mainstream.

Microsoft may have popularized the term, but they didn't invent it. If they can trademark Microsoft Windows, Apple can probably trademark App Store too.

Edit: mstone has an even earlier example than mine. I just found mine through wiki searching.
  • Reply 64 of 151
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member
    Quote:

Why don't clueless Apple fanboys understand the success of other companies is good for everyone!?

this, by far, is the most sensible post i will ever see in this thread.
  • Reply 65 of 151
    kovacmkovacm Posts: 59member
    if anyone remember, program on Atari ST (GEM) first have extension .prg, later in 90ties usual extension was .app
  • Reply 66 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Microsoft may have popularized the term, bu they didn't invent it. If they can trademark Microsoft Windows, Apple can probably trademark App Store too.

I agree with this, except that we?re not talking terms that sprouted up around the same time. MS is, IMO, refuting this usage within a decent time frame while I don?t think Apple ever refuted the generalization of the term Windows, but if we?re going to go down that route we have to through in Word and Pages which neither company seems to have a problem with.
  • Reply 67 of 151
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fergiej View Post

MS has not ever trademarked the word windows. It HAS, however, trademarked "Microsoft Windows".

Absolutely, 100% wrong.

Microsoft has trademarked 'Windows" in the class of goods 'computer software'. Look at Microsoft's own page:

http://www.microsoft.com/About/Legal...e/Windows.aspx

They do NOT use "Microsoft Windows" on this page, but rather use 'Windows", "windows 95", "Windows XP" and so on.

In fact, the site specifically says:

"Windows is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and other countries."

Please stop spreading lies.
  • Reply 68 of 151
    _hawkeye__hawkeye_ Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

Ha ha! Pretty funny. Well, you're all right, to some degree, and all wrong, to another. You're all just too young, apparently, to know the history of the word "App" and how it came into common usage.

Apple did indeed coin the term "application," or "app" for short. But it wasn't for the iPhone. It was in the early 1980's for the Lisa computer, and subsequently used it for the Macintosh too. At that time most people in the industry used the term "program," or other terms which are now completely archaic, to describe what we know today as an "App." I know, because i was writing software before Apple was even founded.

But we are not arguing about App, but the term "App Store"

But the people to whom i was responding were.

Quote:

and? As noted previously, only clueless people would think that the term, "Application" is new. It is the new term "App Store" and the right of Apple to trademark the aforementioned term that is being contested here.

No, some were suggesting that App is too generic to be trademarked. But in fact, Apple coined the term, so they would have a right to argue that it isn't a generic term. Please try to follow the discussion.

Quote:

If you are aware of any publication that used the term, "App Store" before Apple did, please enlighten us.

WTF? Apple coined the term App. If anybody has a right to trademark App Store, it's Apple.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Apple may have pioneered a concept, but it is so broad as to be un-trademarkable.

Apple's point - indeed the whole point of this article - is that the same logic applies to the term Windows.

Remember Apple popularized the term Windows with respect to UI long ago, before M$ ever developed their "Windows" OS.
  • Reply 69 of 151
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:

Meh. Doesn't hold water. If I were the judge, I'd tell them to come up with something better.

Prior to Windows, and even still today, people refer to the "windows" as screens. Windows was obviously a different take on this, like each screen was a window into something new and exciting (yeah, really gay.)

An "app store" is all that is: A store to buy apps from. Apple fails to realize that people have been calling software "Apps" or "Appz" for AGES.

If Microsoft called their software "Screens" then Apple's argument would make sense. The use of "Windows" was creative, while "App store" is not, plain and simple.

Apple fails.

Nah, actually this is a fail on your part. It's not your fault that your wrong, but it is your fault that you didn't even bother to take a second to look it up before you spouted off.

You argue that windows is a generic term for a computer window, but fail to realise that Apple came out with such a system before Microsoft.

You say people used the term "app" before the app store without knowing that it comes from "application bundle" on Steve Jobs' other computer system NeXT step where the executables (which was what everyone mostly called apps in those days), ended with a *.app extension.

I'm not going to bother going on. Suffice to say you are pretty much wrong across the board here. Apple basically invented the term and was the first to use it. They also invented the term "App Store" and trademarked it. This is as close to a black and white, open and shut case as these things generally get.
  • Reply 70 of 151
    eswinsoneswinson Posts: 99member
    Quote:

So I could create and sell an OS called "______ Windows" as long as I didn't fill in the blank with Microsoft? I kind of doubt that.

Oddly enough Microsoft was unable to trademark "Windows" because it was just too generic and commonly used so they had to trademark "Microsoft Windows" and "MS Windows" And the "win" prefix on many names as well. Becuse of their use of windows and how closely it was associated with them they were able to win a claim against Lindows for dilution and confusion of their brand. So in essence they have enforceable sole use of the word "Windows" in the computer software arena without actually being able to register it as a trademark.
  • Reply 71 of 151
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

There's nothing creative about the term window. It was already in use when Windows was first introduced. Your argument holds as much water as me saying "computers don't run apps, they run programs and apps and application are creative terms". As an example, the w and x window systems were introduced before Windows 1 and a long time before Windows 3.1 when it went mainstream.

Microsoft may have popularized the term, but they didn't invent it. If they can trademark Microsoft Windows, Apple can probably trademark App Store too.

Edit: mstone has an even earlier example than mine. I just found mine through wiki searching.

Microsoft applied for the trademark for 'Windows' in 1990. By then, Mac OS had been using the term for 6 years and Amiga for a similar amount of time. So even if you ignore Unix, Smalltalk, and lots of other operating systems that used the term 'windows', the term had clearly been popularized - even before Microsoft came out with MicrosoftWindows.
  • Reply 72 of 151
    quantzquantz Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

You mean their Application Stores.

Typo :

Their applicrashion store.
  • Reply 73 of 151
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

MS has not ever trademarked the word windows. It HAS, however, trademarked "Microsoft Windows". Apple's argument is specious at best. If they want to TM "Apple App Store" or "iOS App Sore" and "Mac App Store" I can't imagine that this would be too problematic. They just want MS and Google to stop using the phrase App Store for their, well, app stores. Nonsense.

That is a good point.
  • Reply 74 of 151
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

this, by far, is the most sensible post i will ever see in this thread.

Not if you're not only an Apple consumer, but a shareholder too......
  • Reply 75 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

i strongly suspect you forgot the term killer app in the context it was used several decades ago.

scotty321 was incorrect in thinking the term App originated with the iPhone. It is from the early 1980s, and "killer app" descended from that usage.
  • Reply 76 of 151
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,007member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Apple may have pioneered a concept, but it is so broad as to be un-trademarkable. App Stores are clearly the model that others will use. I do not think Apple can trademark this linguistic concept, even if they did originally develop it. An app store is a conceptual thing that can easily refer to any company. Similar, indeed, to a "window." Apple is trying to trademark a generic noun.

Well, we are going in circles here, but I'll put one in...

I'm not sure what you mean by a "linguistic concept" but nobody is arguing that Apple owns the term "app" or the term "store." It is in putting the two together for a place to buy programs for mobile devices that (as far as I can tell) nobody has any evidence of being used before Apple started doing it.

If this is indeed a unique usage of those two common terms, then it is trademarkable. The fact that the term seems obvious in hindsight (mostly because Apple's own use of it has been massively popular) does not mean that Apple cannot trademark the combined term.

BTW, I do not know why you think this term is "broad." Does anyone use the term "App store" for anything other than a place to buy mobile programs?
  • Reply 77 of 151
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

Microsoft has trademarked Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows Mobile, Windows 7 Phone, etc without Microsoft in it.

For more info:

http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal...e/Windows.aspx

I think it still makes difference.

App Store X, for example, does sound a bit more distinctive than just App Store.

The way I see it, "app store" is more of description than name. What is that? An app store. What is the name of that app store? Er... App Store?
  • Reply 78 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

You say people used the term "app" before the app store without knowing that it comes from "application bundle" on Steve Jobs' other computer system NeXT step where the executables (which was what everyone mostly called apps in those days), ended with a *.app extension.

App and Application predate NeXT. They came from Apple Lisa and, subsequently, Macintosh.
  • Reply 79 of 151
    eswinsoneswinson Posts: 99member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post

App and Application predate NeXT. They came from Apple Lisa and, subsequently, Macintosh.

The Windows and PC world always called them Programs, Program Files and Executables while Apple and Mac users called them Apps and Applications. 'Nix users called them Binaries
  • Reply 80 of 151
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:

MS has not ever trademarked the word windows. It HAS, however, trademarked "Microsoft Windows". Apple's argument is specious at best. If they want to TM "Apple App Store" or "iOS App Sore" and "Mac App Store" I can't imagine that this would be too problematic. They just want MS and Google to stop using the phrase App Store for their, well, app stores. Nonsense.

Try releasing a brand-new OS called Windows. See what happens.

Try releasing a word processing app called Word, or an office suite called Office.

I can't imagine that this wouldn't be problematic.