Apple announces iPad 2 with new design, faster A5 processor

Comments

• Reply 161 of 417
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

The xoom is missing 65000 apps.

Frankly the xoom hasn't a hope.

60,000 of which all do the same damn thing.

How many apps does one REALLY need? Personally, anytime I think of a way to use my phone, there's been an app in the market place to help me accomplish my goal.

After a while, it just gets redundant, and Android's market place is healthy enough that your argument is invalid
  • Reply 162 of 417
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

That's a cute video for the smart cover.

But what are we supposed to do with it when holding the iPad during use?

You fold it around the back.
  • Reply 163 of 417
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    The summer won't go to Android. Apple will have an iPad 3 someday and reduce the entry point of iPad 2. Most of these copycats can compete. And iOS is a much better OS than Android's latest first attempt at a tablet OS. Let's see if any Android manufacturer can do iMovie or GarageBand. They can't because the API set is nowhere near as good.
  • Reply 164 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Why is the RAM size important to you? Are there programs today that you can't run in the current iPad's RAM space?

It's not about what can't be run NOW, it's about what COULD potentially run later with larger ram sizes...
  • Reply 165 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Mirrored image HDMI FOR THE FUCKING WIN

Here is the best part: the HDMI cable works with iPhone, iPod touch and iPad 1, as well as the new iPad. With iOS 4.3 I am assuming that those that don't want to buy iPad 2 can still get to take advantage of this new capability simply by upgrading their OS and buying the cable.

Am I right about this?
  • Reply 166 of 417
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

... Especially RIM who will soon deliver a competing product that will be slower, heavier, thicker, more expensive and have no apps.

i wouldn't go that far into derisive commentary. here's a quick look at that hardware specifications among a few tablets. http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/02/i...erry-playbook/ each tablet will serve their markets; who comes out on top is meaningless so long as whichever tablet satisfies the user requirements.
  • Reply 167 of 417
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I had hoped for a Thunderbolt port as I think it would make a good tech demo, and the timing was right for it. Oh well. Sad that they're making me wait longer to see iOS 5

iPad 2 looks really good though and I'm glad HDMI finally made an appearance (I wonder if they used the unused pins in the dock connector for it since digital video out wasn't available before), it should be coming to the rest of the iOS devices now.

I'm guessing they may have used one or two unused pins in the connector, but as with other video technologies, you can put digital and analog signals on some of the same wires, and get a different result with the adapter you use. I imagine Apple doing something similar here in a bid to keep as many pins unused as possible for future things.
  • Reply 168 of 417
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

60,000 of which all do the same damn thing.

How many apps does one REALLY need? Personally, anytime I think of a way to use my phone, there's been an app in the market place to help me accomplish my goal.

After a while, it just gets redundant, and Android's market place is healthy enough that your argument is invalid

Actually your last sentence contradicts your first. I am dealing with this Summer - buy an iPad with 65k apps or an overpriced xoom, with a new untested OS and nothing like FaceTime, iMovies or GarageBand.

Apple has won. All it needs now is to release the ipad 3 this year, reduce price points on the iPad 2 and the rest ses dust.
  • Reply 169 of 417
    I'm on the fence, too. Ultimately, though, I never even use the data up to my limit on my iPhone, and I use it liberally when not in a Wi-Fi network or I just don't feel like typing in a password. And most of what I would do outside of a Wi-Fi network I can just do on my iPhone for the rare times that I need to. I already pay for data that I don't use; I guess I don't think it's a good idea to pay for yet more data that I likely won't use. That way, it helps me justify getting a higher-capacity iPad (32GB) for almost the same amount of money for the 16GB model with 3G.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kube View Post

I have an AT&T iphone 4. I'm planning on getting an iPad2. I'm wondering if I should save some bucks and get the iPad2 without 3G, and use the wifi hotspot from the iphone when I'm traveling and want the ipad to access the net.

I don't think I'll go that route, but its worth considering. Anybody have any thoughts?

• Reply 170 of 417
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So do I because November seems a long time to wait for it's release.

P.S. in our date format it's 11/3

So you refer to the World Trade Center attacks as "11/9"? Not quite as catchy, is it?
  • Reply 171 of 417
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archos View Post

Thunderbolt is proprietary to Intel and uses PCI Express. Why would the iPad use this? To support multiple displays far larger than 1080p? Ha! To access huge files on RAID? Ha!

I'm very happy to see HDMI out AND video mirroring. Thunderbolt is a PC interface.

To be able to plug it into the docks that will/should inevitably appear. With one TB connector you could connect the iPad to keyboard, external monitor, external speakers, and even external storage. Yes, laptops are designed for that, but it'd be cool for the iOS devices to be able to do it, too. And there will be other devices with TB on them - like probably sound mixing consoles, maybe video cameras. It's a small, fast connector. Yes, it's bus level (whatever that means), but I hope we see it popping up in interesting, unexpected places.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 172 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TalkingNewMedia View Post

Here is the best part: the HDMI cable works with iPhone, iPod touch and iPad 1, as well as the new iPad. With iOS 4.3 I am assuming that those that don't want to buy iPad 2 can still get to take advantage of this new capability simply by upgrading their OS and buying the cable.

Am I right about this?

Now I'm jealous as SHIT rofl

The idea of loading up a bunch of 700mb movie files and bringing them to a friend's house has always been appealing to me. I'm real curious about how Apple implements this. Will DRM play a role? What about simultaneous charging while outputting to the tv? :/
  • Reply 173 of 417
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    OK, I really want one of these. When the iPad1 came out, I said to myself that I would wait until v2. Now, v2 is out, and I don't think I have the money to get one right away.

So, who here wants to buy one for me?

This seems like a very impressive upgrade, really. A5, much better graphics, HDMI out, thinner, etc. I'm really excited about this. I'm even excited about the Garage Band app, and I have the musical talent of a turtle.

I have to say, I don't get a lot of the criticisms I've seen so far.
  • Reply 174 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

Apple gave us the HDMI output we've been wanting.

i'm more interested to know if multichannel audio (lossy or otherwise) will be bitstreamed across the cable for media that has 5.1 AAC audio. from the specs i've read, it looks like MP4 container support, for audio, is limited to stereo. does anyone have a reliable source to clarify this point? thanks.
  • Reply 175 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Actually your last sentence contradicts your first. I am dealing with this Summer - buy an iPad with 65k apps or an overpriced xoom, with a new untested OS and nothing like FaceTime, iMovies or GarageBand.

Apple has won. All it needs now is to release the ipad 3 this year, reduce price points on the iPad 2 and the rest ses dust.

Wait a second, release ipad 3 this year? you really think they will?

As far as nothing like the apps, you mentioned; imovies and garageband perhaps, but there are alternatives to facetime.

And how long do you think it will take for someone to make a knockoff of imove or garageband for android tablets?
  • Reply 176 of 417
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Looks nice, but no capacity bump and price cut, plus no retina display, mean I will be waiting till the next revision.
  • Reply 177 of 417
    markbmarkb Posts: 153member
    Quote:

Why is the RAM size important to you? Are there programs today that you can't run in the current iPad's RAM space?

More memory wI'll be very important. I woud like more on my current ipad for the browser. I hate when i switch pages it has to reload every time. I know this is a way of keeping the memory footprint more manageable. Bigger buffers will help with app switching as well.

I am interested that they mentioned 9x graphics speedup. This means that it could drive a Retina-type density display at iPad size twice as fast as the current iPad runs it's current 1024x768 display. Obviously was just a cost/manufacturability issue as to why they didn't bump the display, not a performance issue.
  • Reply 178 of 417
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Charging and syncing is done over a 4 pin USB connection. 19+4 < 30

But, there are only 2 free pinouts out of 30...

Assume the 4 pin USB is passed through, then

19 > 2 out of 30
  • Reply 179 of 417
    Quote:

Will DRM play a role?

HDCP is supported by the HDMI specification (versions 1.0 and above). if the media mandates the use of HDCP, then whatever is connected to the iPad 2 via HDMI will have to accept and properly handle the handshake to permit video and audio transfer.
  • Reply 180 of 417
    The problem with the XOOM is that its supporters are saying that there are all those Android apps, just as Steve Jobs said last year that the iPad could run all those iPhone apps.

iPad owners quickly learned, however, that they didn't like running non-optimized apps on their tablet.

When I tested out the XOOM I loaded both the NYT and MLB apps and they were pathetic compared to their iPad equivalents. At best, they were iPhone versions on a nice display.

The problem is that developers may not mind developing for multiple platforms, but they certainly don't like having to do multiple versions of the same app for the same platform. Until there are millions of Android tablets out there in the market, in the hands of consumers, all running the same version of Android, those optimized apps will only trickle out.

Give it at least another six months, then the XOOM might get interesting.