Apple announces iPad 2 with new design, faster A5 processor

Comments

• Reply 81 of 417
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post

... Can it properly run Keynote through a VGA adapter on an LCD projector? Can it handle Aperture or indeed any kind of raw photo file through an Aperture-compatible module? Can I compute on it adequately or will I need at least an 11 inch Macbook Air? ....

the answers are:

-yes (iPad 1.0 could do this)

-no (MacBook Air could technically handle Aperture files but only a fool would bother trying)

- depends on whatever subjective thing you mean by "adequate"
  • Reply 82 of 417
    Is this game by apple for apple fanboys so they keep spending money for some smaller updates???

RAM is only 512MB compared to 1GB for Xoom.(This may limit/control future iOS upgrade for sure)

No 4G support (Need new iPad3 for that,spend more money on i*!!!, LOL)

No USB

No Flash(Expected),but really need for pc/tablet experience

No SD Slot

Display resolution inferior to Xoom

No Widgets which are much more usable for tablets.

Extra money for HDMI adapter while is is part of Xoom

Display resolution is still same as iPad1!!

All features like Duel processor, front/rear camera, Gyro, HDMI, USB, Flash support,

Widget support, 1GB RAM,SD Card slot to expand memory,4G support, better resolution display are already part of Xoom.

No wonder it is $79 chceaper then Xoom, add all cost up and Xoom will come out cheaper and better then iPad2($39 just for hdmi adapter, LOL)
  • Reply 83 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

At the same price points? Get real.

No one else can match the iPad 1 a year later or have 128GB yet he claims, in his allknowingness, that this is what the original iPad should have been in for 2010. Love to hear the crazies back up that logic.
  • Reply 84 of 417
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    Same old apple......

Beautiful hardware.... Shame about the ios software. Still just a glorified app launcher. Still you can't blame them for playing to their strengths
  • Reply 85 of 417
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Yikes. I sure hope iOS 5 has some major improvements to keep people happy until iPad 3 comes out.

Also, HDMI with a special $39 connector? How is that slick, convenient, or a good user experience. I hate carrying bags of connectors cables and dongles, and even more so with an ultra-portable.

Sure, but what is the alternative? You want HDMI, but someone else will want VGA to connect to their office projector. Add in a SD slot to make the photographers happy. But then we still need USB for those of use with cameras that take compact flash or to connect the keyboard. I'd love to not have to deal with adaptors, but which set of ports would they include without upsetting some portion of customers? The dock connector seems the best compromise. The only drawback is there is only one. So you can't, for example, charge the iPad while your downloading photos from your camera. Separate charing port would be nice...but there we go again adding more ports to it.
  • Reply 86 of 417
    kubekube Posts: 40member
    I have an AT&T iphone 4. I'm planning on getting an iPad2. I'm wondering if I should save some bucks and get the iPad2 without 3G, and use the wifi hotspot from the iphone when I'm traveling and want the ipad to access the net.

I don't think I'll go that route, but its worth considering. Anybody have any thoughts?
  • Reply 87 of 417
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Who else do you see offering these specs at $499?

Motorola, but you need to send them back the device for them to add it for undisclosed amount

Xoom just landed in moon.
  • Reply 88 of 417
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

According to Ars, the new iPad has 512MB RAM

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...resolution.ars

Where did it say that? I didn't see it.
  • Reply 89 of 417
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Did you find the introduction of the Playbook or Xoom to be more whelming? ...

No. I don't think the Playbook will ever even ship in any kind of numbers before the inevitable collapse of RIM, and the Xoom is a niche product IMO.

Even if the Xoom "suceeds" it's not something that regular consumers are even interested in. The iPad has huge appeal amongst techies but also across the board. Everyone from your Mum to a Unix tech wants one. Xoom might sell well among the male, angry, 20 something geek market but that's pretty much it.
  • Reply 90 of 417
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CIM View Post

iPad 2 spells doom for the Xoom (and all other tablets shipping this year).

boom.
  • Reply 91 of 417
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    Same old apple......

Beautiful hardware.... Shame about the ios software. Still just a glorified app launcher. Still you can't blame them for playing to their strengths.

Oh and I expect you still have to plug it into itunes all the bloody time and to even activate it. Can someone explain the logic behind buying a tablet to replace your laptop (as both my parents did and many others) yet you still can't even start using it until you have plugged it into a boring old conventional computer?!
  • Reply 92 of 417
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IKnowThat2 View Post

Is this game by apple for apple fanboys so they keep spending money for some smaller updates???

RAM is only 512MB compared to 1GB for Xoom.(This may limit/control future iOS upgrade for sure)

No 4G support (Need new iPad3 for that,spend more money on i*!!!, LOL)

No USB

No Flash(Expected),but really need for pc/tablet experience

No SD Slot

Display resolution inferior to Xoom

No Widgets which are much more usable for tablets.

Extra money for HDMI adapter while is is part of Xoom

Display resolution is still same as iPad1!!

All features like Duel processor, front/rear camera, Gyro, HDMI, USB, Flash support,

Widget support, 1GB RAM,SD Card slot to expand memory,4G support, better resolution display are already part of Xoom.

No wonder it is $79 chceaper then Xoom, add all cost up and Xoom will come out cheaper and better then iPad2($39 just for hdmi adapter, LOL)

Totally awesome dude. Widgets are much, much cooler than actual applications. You can recite the specs out loud to yourself while staring raptly at your home-screen while I'm editing videos and mixing down music. And designing and showing Keynote presentations. And..... well, never mind, you've got a weather widget to love.
  • Reply 93 of 417
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

That's a cute video for the smart cover.

But what are we supposed to do with it when holding the iPad during use?

Yeah. Really well done video.

In (possible) answer; Simply tear it off and leave it lie there, throw it in your shoulder bag, fold it up and slide it in your back pocket (?)

I presume it folds back around like you would fold back a magazine (?) Does it hold back there in-place magnetically (?)

Guess we'll find out soon enough.
  • Reply 94 of 417
    modemode Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

No. I don't think the Playbook will ever even ship in any kind of numbers before the inevitable collapse of RIM, and the Xoom is a niche product IMO.

Even if the Xoom "suceeds" it's not something that regular consumers are even interested in. The iPad has huge appeal amongst techies but also across the board. Everyone from your Mum to a Unix tech wants one. Xoom might sell well among the male, angry, 20 something geek market but that's pretty much it.

Anyone else notice that Prof. Peabody never comments when Steve Jobs is on stage...

• Reply 95 of 417
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kube View Post

I have an AT&T iphone 4. I'm planning on getting an iPad2. I'm wondering if I should save some bucks and get the iPad2 without 3G, and use the wifi hotspot from the iphone when I'm traveling and want the ipad to access the net.

I don't think I'll go that route, but its worth considering. Anybody have any thoughts?

I'm buying the 3G model just in case you need cellular data. There's no contract, you can let it expire at any time (which is what I did after the first month with my original iPad 3G -- I was curious to see how well it worked out). Of course, if you can live with tethering, maybe you really don't need it.

However, the 3G model also has assisted GPS so you can use your iPad for GPS navi, even if you don't have cellular data. Navfree is one GPS navigation app that has a preloaded map. Others (like MotionX) can precache itineraries.
  • Reply 96 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Yeah. Really well done video.

In (possible) answer; Simply tear it off and leave it lie there, throw it in your shoulder bag, fold it up and slide it in your back pocket (?)

I presume it folds back around like you would fold back a magazine (?) Does it hold back there in-place magnetically (?)

Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Take a look at: http://www.apple.com/ipad/smart-cover/

Under "great looks, and even better moves"...

If you prefer to hold iPad, the Smart Cover flips back and out of the way like a page in a magazine.
  • Reply 97 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

In the computing world, faster processing is indeed incremental improvement. Arguably, it is expected improvement, since many other tablets will have two-core processing.

Having said this, this is a very nice increment.

Apple engineers are no smarter than those from RIM or Motorola. How is it they can squeeze similar guts into a smaller package? At the end of the day, electronic miniaturization is about all about SOC (system-on-a-chip) innovation. Apple does not have magic in this technology inaccessible to others. What they have is a CEO who pays attention to design. When Jobs talks about the liberal arts DNA at Apple, he is referring to his own. RIM, Motorola, HTC and HP don't have this DNA at the top, because the likes of Sanjay Jha, Mike Lazaridis, Jim Balsillie are either traditional engineers or business execs. Steve is neither - just a renaissance man not tied down by his roots.

So yeah, a nice increment. Can't wait to hold one!

"Apple engineers are no smarter than those from RIM or Motorola."

What? are you fkn kidding?!

Yeah... everybody on the whole planet is actually just as smart as everybody else. There are no more-talented people than non-talented people. Talent, intelligence, creativity... Everybody has it in absolute equal amounts.
  • Reply 98 of 417
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post

Same old apple......

Beautiful hardware.... Shame about the ios software. Still just a glorified app launcher. Still you can't blame them for playing to their strengths.

Oh and I expect you still have to plug it into itunes all the bloody time and to even activate it. Can someone explain the logic behind buying a tablet to replace your laptop (as both my parents did and many others) yet you still can't even start using it until you have plugged it into a boring old conventional computer?!

The Logic? Sure, they don't expect a tablet to replace the laptop. It's a different device..
  • Reply 99 of 417
    lukeskymaclukeskymac Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poohlp View Post

This update is impressive. They are clearly aiming to have everyone have a tablet that they carry with them at all times. It isn't quite there, but for most casual users, this almost has the potential to completely replace a traditional laptop/desktop. All it needs is a 128GB option and better Office compatibility, and I'd be tempted to buy one of these instead of the fancy 15' macbook pro my next chuck of change is going to be doled out for as soon as I determine how much of my life savings I am willing to part with.

If only my old macbook weren't yelling at me about lack of memory every night, I might buy one of these instead and limp along with what I have...

T,FTFY

Flash? Really? You do know the non-Apple tablet with the best battery life (by far) is the one that doesn't ship with flash?
  • Reply 100 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Sure, but what is the alternative? You want HDMI, but someone else will want VGA to connect to their office projector. Add in a SD slot to make the photographers happy. But then we still need USB for those of use with cameras that take compact flash or to connect the keyboard. I'd love to not have to deal with adaptors, but which set of ports would they include without upsetting some portion of customers? The dock connector seems the best compromise. The only drawback is there is only one. So you can't, for example, charge the iPad while your downloading photos from your camera. Separate charing port would be nice...but there we go again adding more ports to it.

Stop talking logic. It doesn't fly here.