Apple kills fall iPad 3 rumors by calling 2011 "Year of iPad 2"

Comments

• Reply 41 of 131
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

source?

Aside from saying it's the year of the iPad 2, there's nothing to substantiate this. Any reason this excludes an iPad 2.5, iPad 2 hd, or just changing their mind and making it the year of the iPad by releasing two versions?

The tone is definitive but it's not substantiated enough for me

He could put it down in writing, and you could still doubt it. There is no reason to think Apple would have one later this year. It's just Gruber's speculation. I read his blog on it, and it didn't seem convincing.

It's much better for Apple to spread out their product releases over the year. It gives them more sales consistency, for one, and it makes it easier for their OEMs to schedule production time.

While having a new model in the fall will increase sales then, it would shrink sales this quarter. There wouldn't be much gain. Apple also likes to have well defined introductions without too many products, so that attention can be focussed on one big thing. I believe that's one reason they stopped going to the Macworlds and other shows.
  • Reply 42 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Agree with this and the similar thoughts being expressed. What's Steve gonna say, anyway? It's "the six-or-so-months-of-iPad 2-until-we-pop-out-a-new-model'? Geez. They just released a new, redesigned, updated product. Naturally, the focus is on that product right now! Why not? Now's now, and the fall is the fall. Meantime, they'll sell a zillion of these things. Even if an iPad 3, or 2 and a half, or whatever, is released this fall, the majority of this year's sales will be of iPad 2 devices. So no matter how you overanalyze this, it's the year of the iPad 2.

I don't see a single one of you guys giving even one really good reason why Apple SHOULD come out with a new model in September. All you're doing is saying that you don't see why they couldn't, which is a waste of time. A double negative is not a positive.
  • Reply 43 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Gruber tends to not just simply say things like this. Even if he says he's just saying them, there's usually more to it than that. Yes, he says it's a guess, but his guesses are practically always informed ones.

Not this time. Even he says that.
  • Reply 44 of 131
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

He could put it down in writing, and you could still doubt it.

actually Jobs did put it down in writing - big white block letters on the theater's projection screen at least 5 feet tall. the last slide of the show! with him standing directly in front of it!!
  • Reply 45 of 131
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Good to see this thread totally useless after one post. Its like grade school around here.

Yeah, you came in to post.
  • Reply 46 of 131
    Quote:

He could put it down in writing, and you could still doubt it. There is no reason to think Apple would have one later this year. It's just Gruber's speculation. I read his blog on it, and it didn't seem convincing.

It's much better for Apple to spread out their product releases over the year. It gives them more sales consistency, for one, and it makes it easier for their OEMs to schedule production time.

While having a new model in the fall will increase sales then, it would shrink sales this quarter. There wouldn't be much gain. Apple also likes to have well defined introductions without too many products, so that attention can be focussed on one big thing. I believe that's one reason they stopped going to the Macworlds and other shows.

It's not that I doubt it. I think it's very unlikely theyll release another this year, in fact.

However, nothing that was said today precludes the release of another. The article did a poor job of proving that it did. It stated in no uncertain terms that the statement that "2011: Year of the iPad 2" "kills" any rumors. And it offers no proof besides saying "Jobs wouldn't have said that were he planning to introduce another iPad model this summer," a statement that was not substantiated in any way. It's simply the authors opinion presented as indisputable fact.

Despite the fact that I agree with him, it's still a poor piece of writing. Journalists are welcome to opine, but only when presented as such.
  • Reply 47 of 131
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

just watched the event video. the two things that impressed the most were: (1) simply seeing Jobs look so vigorous and apparently in decent health, and (2) Garage Band

Couldn't agree more.
  • Reply 48 of 131
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    That's unfortunate. I don't think there is enough in the iPad2 to make me upgrade.

Maybe I'll buy a second one and move the original iPad to the kitchen or something.
  • Reply 49 of 131
    They can easily add an iPad 2 Pro in the Year of the iPad 2.
  • Reply 50 of 131
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:

"In March we told you 2011 would be the year of iPad 2, and it is, but we're starting 2012 early." - September 2011

I can so see Steve saying that.

That does sound about right.
  • Reply 51 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

The ridiculous thing is that before the "Retina Display" rumour came along - and we still have absolutely no evidence that there's a single grain of truth to it - everybody wanted an iPad 2 much like the one that Apple delivered today. Thinner, lighter, front and back cameras, more powerful CPU (it remains to be seen how much RAM it has). We got all that in addition to two great new apps from Apple. But now there are people who are disappointed because Apple didn't deliver on a promise it never made. We really have no idea when Apple will deliver an Retina Display, whether it's even remotely cost effective to do so, or even if they actually have one planned at all. It should be obvious by now that many (most?) of these rumours are complete fabrications.

I think today's announcement was great and I am not the least bit disappointed.

However, I'd bet that Apple would have loved to deliver a Retina Display iPad today. People would take one look at it compared to everything else and snatched it up. And Apple would probably have the supply of such displays tied up for at least 9 months, if not longer.
  • Reply 52 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheGreatBug View Post

They can easily add an iPad 2 Pro in the Year of the iPad 2.

because the next major bump in iPad capabilities will come with iOS 5! the software, not the hardware!! with improved notifications and widgets and other convenience stuff like that where Android is most competitive. in the Fall probably, same as last year's iPad bump to iOS 4 with multitasking, cut and paste, folders, etc.

and in between will come the iTunes/MobileMe enhancements that the iPad can also use to good advantage. Maybe something useful in OS X Lion too.

it's a bad misperception that only hardware upgrades are significant (the spec fixation), and a mistake not to realize there will be upcoming significant software/services improvements to the iPad this year beyond those coming next week.
  • Reply 53 of 131
    Quote:

It would not appreciably shrink sales this quarter if it is not announced beforehand.
  • Reply 54 of 131
    Quote:

I don't see a single one of you guys giving even one really good reason why Apple SHOULD come out with a new model in September. All you're doing is saying that you don't see why they couldn't, which is a waste of time. A double negative is not a positive.

The reason would be to completely knock the wind out of the competition. The only point in doing it would be to deliver a Retina Display - something so profoundly obvious that its absence in competitors products would make an iPad "the only choice".

I don't necessarily see this as aligning the iPad announcement with iPods. Instead, I see them delivering a premium device with a hi-def display this fall which gets pushed down to other models during the next spring refresh.

Since you've been in manufacturing, you can understand the advantage of having an extra few months to get yields up in a standard production run where demand could be tempered by a higher selling price.
  • Reply 55 of 131
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:

Bullshit.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - look at what Apple does, don't listen to what they say.

"In March we told you 2011 would be the year of iPad 2, and it is, but we're starting 2012 early." - September 2011

I can so see Steve saying that.

As you say, look at what Apple does, and what they do is launch a new version ONCE a year. I don't see what the perceived rush is for Apple to launch an new iPad in September 2011. Plus with the 10th anniversary of 9/11 going on, it won't be a particularly happy time. They can just as easily launch a retina display in March 2012. Gives them something to crow about throughout the year.
  • Reply 56 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

As you say, look at what Apple does, and what they do is launch a new version ONCE a year. I don't see what the perceived rush is for Apple to launch an new iPad in September 2011. Plus with the 10th anniversary of 9/11 going on, it won't be a particularly happy time. They can just as easily launch a retina display in March 2012. Gives them something to crow about throughout the year.

yeah, when in the last ten years has Apple launched two important hardware updates in a single calendar year for any single major hardware product? not the iPhone. not the iPod. no MacBook or iMac i can remember. the only variance from annual update cycles is when Apple has waited even longer than a year for one (like the Mac Mini and Apple TV).

and as you note, a retina display and even lighter carbon fiber shell would be a powerful new hardware attraction that would enable the iPad to continue to dominate the market throughout 2012, when Android tabs and their apps will sort-of catch up with iPad 2 otherwise (not to Garage Band tho).

the one hardware upgrade we might see out of cycle this Fall would be 4G for the Verizon iPad only. Verizon might be on its own sched this way, as part of its deal with Apple, having launched last October and wanting its own special annual market hype moment. it was notable that the iOS 4.3 update is not coming to the Verizon iPhone next week. we will have to see what that means if anything more than a brief delay for some minor reason.
  • Reply 57 of 131
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,034member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I agree. I don't think the retina display for iPad can be economically and mass productionally ready for us before a year from now at the soonest. I love the new iPad 2. I'm ready to order mine next Friday as soon as MacConnection starts taking them. Getting the HDMI dongle too. Have the VGA dongle already. Just watched the keynote on my iPad playing on my HDTV via the VGA dongle. So mirroring is already working to some extent even on the old model.

But the speed of the new model is incredible. And speed is definitely an issue on the first one. So I'm thrilled by that improvement alone. Saturday will be my ten month anniversary since I got my 3G last May 5th. That was long enough with the limitations of last years design. It's definitely long in the tooth. But I am sticking with black. In a dark room the white border could be a distraction reflecting unwanted light from the movie etc.

Not sure about the screen cover though. I'd still rather have a case like I have from Apple on the first one. But I could adapt this case to the iPad 2 by punching a hole for the camera with a paper punch and then cutting a square out of the other corner to make a clear opening for the new enhanced speaker grill. But cutting a hole on the center of the top for the mic is a larger challenge. Maybe I'll buy a second iPad 1 case for my new iPad 2 and then do all the cuts on a new one. The height and width are identical between the two models. So the iPad 2 will fit properly in the Apple iPad case.
  • Reply 58 of 131
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Quote:

just watched the event video. the two things that impressed the most were: (1) simply seeing Jobs look so vigorous and apparently in decent health, and (2) Garage Band.

Garage Band really is a true Wow!! app. for the ridiculously insignificant price of $5 (on top of the iPad purchase price, which you would buy anyway for dozens of other good reasons) you get an entire easiest-to-use-ever orchestra of sophisticated musical instrument synthesizers combined with an easiest-to-use-ever 8 track recording studio. i mean, just five years ago if this software existed - which it didn't and couldn't - you would have had to pay $10,000 for it. or much more. the kids and teenagers of the world (of all ages) are going to go bonkers when they get their hands on it.

Jobs btw has to realize he may not have much time left - tho you never know, he might live to 100 with today's medical technology (i'm sure he gets the latest and most advanced there is). so one thing you can be sure of: he is not going to leave anything new and outstanding he can envision and that Apple can execute undone. and it's absolutely undeniable that today Apple can execute better than any consumer technology company in the world, period - it's not even close. and you know that initial development for 2012 hardware and software is already underway, even while they finish the 2011 models, like an A6 chip and so on ... and conceptual development work for 2013 products has already begun too.

I totally agree with you.
  • Reply 59 of 131
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Quote:

just watched the event video. the two things that impressed the most were: (1) simply seeing Jobs look so vigorous and apparently in decent health, and (2) Garage Band.

Point well taken. Jobs looks good and his enthusiasm seems good. Hopefully his condition isn't deteriorating. His appearance put to rest all the rumors, stories and gossip.

Most likely Apple has more surprises to come in 2011. IOS 4.3 is the start.

Lets remember Apple has some of the best talent in the business working for it.
  • Reply 60 of 131
    Also don't get why 2011 being "Year of iPad 2" means there won't be a premium version of iPad 2 in 2011. \