In-depth Review: Apple's iPad 2 running iOS 4.3

Comments

• Reply 181 of 221
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

Rational thoughts now turn instead to what will iOS 5 add to the iPad 2 consumer experience later this year. if the sched is the same as last year, the iPhone version will come in the Spring, and then be adapted for the iPad in the Fall. first, some likely stuff:

- various improvements to Safari. browser tabs via page images in a pull-up pane would be very Apple-ish. Private browsing also, given Apple's strong interest in user privacy.

- some adjustments to notifications, as they seem to bother quite a few now.

- an easy file transfer mechanism between iOS devices, like directly "sharing" files between same/compatible apps.

- a powerful but easy to use iPhoto app, completing the iOS iLife suite.

- some package to take advantage of the revamped MobileMe services that is obviously coming very soon.

then some "maybe" stuff:

- some kind of widgets to aggregate useful info/notifications. probably limited in scope.

- the much-rumored iTunes cloud service. altho this might wait until the Fall as part of Apple's annual big iPod hype. it would be good buzz for bringing iOS 5 to the iPad then too.

and finally, any wildcards such as:

- some new features coming with OS X Lion that are integrated with iOS too. that would be exciting. OS X Lion is going to be fully unveiled at the WWDC no doubt, so the timing makes sense.

others?

That would all be very exciting as a free update.
  • Reply 182 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I didn't read your post close enough... we're both on the same side -- I thought I was responding to Ireland. ;

... I'll get back to you....

Hmmm... now that might be a mistake...
  • Reply 183 of 221
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Har-har.
  • Reply 184 of 221
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

That's the weird thing. All the sites like Engadget are continually writing about tablet after tablet that in reality not many people give a hoot about. What the heck is going on???

I suppose it's just tech sites reviewing whatever tech is out there. I see them reviewing desktop computer cases as well, etc.

Tech sites don't actually reflect the market at large. They're aimed at a particular segment and that's about it.

Apple's numbers, the proliferation of Apple gear, and the direction the industry at large moves (i.e., Apple's direction) will tell the real story. I like to look at the big picture, and in that big picture, it's all about Apple. It's a startling change from 5-6 years ago, and every month it appears that Apple continues to extend their reach and influence in nearly all aspects of consumer tech. It's pretty exciting.
  • Reply 185 of 221
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    The iPad doesn't really need another computer to function. They'll happily set it up for you when you purchase it in the store, and even do updates for you when new firmware is released. Other than that, it's possible, though less convenient and dangerous for your data, to operate it completely on its own. Another computer makes it all go much more smoothly and provides backups, but it can't legitimately be a negative point.
  • Reply 186 of 221
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You are wrong. The only exception is if you get Apple to set it up before you leave the Apple Store, something that is an impossibility in my country.

Yep, so I guess Apple will never sell that iPad. There will be that one single iPad sitting on store shelves forever.
  • Reply 187 of 221
    Quote:

The only exception is if you get Apple to set it up before you leave the Apple Store, something that is an impossibility in my country.

Couldn't you purchase the iPad from the Apple Online Store as a gift and have it sent directly to your aunt? Wouldn't Apple pre-configure it to work right out of the box then? Or does it not work that way? I've never gifted from the Online Store.
  • Reply 188 of 221
    Quote:

Hey... don't get me wrong... I don't give a rat's ass about adding devices... but, if you've read any threads on AI in the last while (and I know you have), then you'll know that any mention of an added anything brings up the incessant whining about how Apple should have added this or that or the other thing...

(on edit... Actually, I think the little Reinstall drive is cool and a good idea...)

Quote:

I didn't read your post close enough... we're both on the same side -- I thought I was responding to Ireland. ;

... I'll get back to you....

Quote:

Quote:

Har-har.

OK, Guys... You asked for it... Here it is...

The iPad 2 MegaPort -- the ultimate in dongleless iPad accessory interconnection...

• Reply 189 of 221
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Yep, scalping is why the iPad2 is in such short supply. And there's nothing wrong with that. Every scalper buys the iPad and sells that single iPad to a single user out there who is willing to pay more for his iPad than you are for yours. And he has every right to find a willing seller to sell it to him.

The most amazing part of that video was the idiot reporter sounding so surprised about the fact that, despite all the security guards and police and cameras, the scalpers were still doing their business openly.

THATS BECAUSE IT IS NOT ILLEGAL

That's not necessarily true. People get in trouble for scalping tickets all the time.
  • Reply 190 of 221
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

Actually, it's proof that 15 Million ipads were sold in 2010. Nothing more and nothing less.

Logic fail on so many levels. For a start, there's a ton of apps shovelling ads your way on iOS as well. I guess that makes iOS users cheapskates too. It's obviously a model that works universally.

What goes in its place? You know, for video or heavily interactive content? As it happens I disable flash too, primarily for the same reasons you do. Right now, there is no viable alternative. The fact that it's rubbish on mobile devices says nothing about how equally rubbish html5 + js is, and can be, in the same context. Complex content requires resources. There's no getting around that.

flash isn't that important to people who want Theo ad that is the bottom line. If flash is a priority for you then you simply don't purchase iOS products and keep it movin'.
  • Reply 191 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by REC View Post

Probably not, but I also think there were a couple factors to consider.

1. I don't think anybody, Apple or anyone, expected this kind of turnout for the launch. I live in Plano TX. This is no NYC or LA, but understand that it is higher tech and higher wage earning than the vast majority of the country. I went to the mall that evening to see how the Apple store was doing and see if they might have any iPad 2's on display. I figured, maybe... just maybe, 30, 40 people waiting in line- tops. Like I said this is no NYC flagship store, just some random Apple store. There were easily 500 people waiting in line, probably alot more than that, in a line that stretched all through the mall. It was insane for a v2 product launch. Security was out making sure things went smoothly. Something was up, something beyond and outside normal expectations.

2. Apple is a secretive company. It is their business to have secrecy to foster and build hype for consumer products. You want them to open things up, actually so did I. I wish I could've gone online and seen a list per store of inventory. It makes sense to do right? Except that it is not Apple's business to be open about every detail of its business, and I realize that. Frustrating as it is, you have to acknowledge that it is the right of a business to run itself as it sees fit, provided it is done within current laws. We have a choice.

So yeah, while I do think they could've done better, I don't think they 1. anticipated this kind of demand, it was insane and 2. it is not in Apple's DNA to be open about every detail, and we shouldn't expect them to be.

Consider for just a moment if the opposite had occurred, which is entirely probable (alternate universe time): Nobody wants the iPad2. It's not a real PC, doesn't have enough ports, doesn't run flash and its just a big expensive toy. Ok, Apple posts per-store inventory on their website for the launch to help people find iPad2's, except it turns out nobody wants them. Now its nothing but bad PR for the company: Any schmo reporter can look up online all the overstock iPad2's Apple has in the channel, how they totally misjudged things. Look at all the wasted silicon and glass they have sitting on their shelves. APPL would take a huuuuuuge tumble, the future of the company would come into question. If nobody wants the iPad, and the company was betting its future on this device, what kind of growth can they really expect?

If you were an APPL investor in this scenario, I think you'd be mighty pissed. What the hell was Apple thinking? Why would they be so public about their actual inventory numbers? In this respect posting that info publicly comes with risk, and is a big gamble to shareholders. Especially for a new product category only 1 year old, especially for something that has had unpredictable success and growth in just 9 months when most people, companies and analysts still don't fully understand what is going on.

But to summarize, no. I don't think it is the best Apple can do. I also don't think any of your suggestions quite work.

But look, the bottom line is there is simply way more demand for this product than Apple can produce. I'll get mine in a month or 2 whenever it actually becomes possible. Everyone just needs to take a chill pill and someday (probably around the iPad 5 =) Apple will be able to normalize the supply/demand chain... maybe.

" ...that it is the right of a business to run itself as it sees fit, provided it is done within current laws."

Well said; companies exist to generate profits for their owners and stockholders. If they do one (or both) they succeed and prosper; if not the marketplace exerts its will and the business fails.

How we as consumers would run a business is of no consequence, it's not our "store"; we are there but to consume a product...or not.
  • Reply 192 of 221
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

That's not necessarily true. People get in trouble for scalping tickets all the time.

Yeah, it's necessarily true.

We aren't talking about scalping tickets. We're talking about what we're talking about. Scalping iPads. 100% legal.
  • Reply 193 of 221
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

You have a serious reading comprehension problem.

I said nothing about solving the availability problem. I was talking about solving the scalping problem.

Simultaneous launch will have a net zero effect on availability. It will, however, have a positive effect on discouraging scalping.

It will cut cross-border scalping, but I can't help but think that would move to local scalping because the demand still outstrips supply.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Just curiuos, how do you know they are adobe IPs?

There is a reverse IP look-up in the forum software, and a couple posts reversed to an IP block owned by Adobe.
  • Reply 194 of 221
    veblenveblen Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

flash isn't that important to people who want Theo ad that is the bottom line. If flash is a priority for you then you simply don't purchase iOS products and keep it movin'.

If I need to use flash on my iPad I just use skyfire web browser or iSwifter.

If people want ports, flash and a keyboard they should just get the 11 inch MacBook air. No one is putting a gun to their head to buy an iOS product.
  • Reply 195 of 221
    Quote:

OK, Guys... You asked for it... Here it is...

The iPad 2 MegaPort -- the ultimate in dongleless iPad accessory interconnection..

Sign me up!!
  • Reply 196 of 221
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

I get that. But it's a con.

Considering there is no reliable alternative at present, and that post-pc does not mean sans-pc, it's not a con.
  • Reply 197 of 221
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    A very good idea!

Quote:

You are wrong!

Apple could introduce an OS Reinstall drive similar to the one provided with the new AirBook.

This would act as a restore drive and a substitute for iTunes setup. When/if MobileMe is enhanced it could be used for the sync and backup functions.

Once this comes together, the iPad will not require a PC, but, unlike the competition, the iPad can take advantage of an available PC to gain speed and reliability.

That would qualify the iPad as a "Post PC Device" -- by anybody's measure.

• Reply 198 of 221
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

You are wrong!

Apple could introduce an OS Reinstall drive similar to the one provided with the new AirBook.

This would act as a restore drive and a substitute for iTunes setup. When/if MobileMe is enhanced it could be used for the sync and backup functions.

Once this comes together, the iPad will not require a PC, but, unlike the competition, the iPad can take advantage of an available PC to gain speed and reliability.

That would qualify the iPad as a "Post PC Device" -- by anybody's measure.

1) If they did that I?d think it would be a 30-pin connector at that end (or whatever future connector they use), not USB.

2) I?d think if they were going to do that they?d skip the external backup drive altogether and just make a secret partition that you can enter whilst doing the DFU mode sequence.

While 600MB for a hidden partition might seem like a lot now when the iPad moves to 25nm NAND, likely next year, making 32GB, 64GB and 128GB the standard capacities at the current price points, I doubt it will matter. I never hear people complaint that they only have 14GB on their 16GB iPad for use do to the OS size and base-10 counting.
  • Reply 199 of 221
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

There is a reverse IP look-up in the forum software, and a couple posts reversed to an IP block owned by Adobe.

Isn't this big news? Regardless whether he's doing this on his own or at the company's bidding, this seems to be a front-page story.

Would be if I were running the paper, but I admit I have a weakness for conspiracy. I'm back to thinking that these SODs (Sowers of Discord, whom Dante placed in the lowest circle of his Inferno) are paid to troll.

On the other hand, the fact that he retreated as soon as he was called out suggests he was doing it on his own.
  • Reply 200 of 221
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Isn't this big news? Regardless whether he's doing this on his own or at the company's bidding, this seems to be a front-page story.

Would be if I were running the paper, but I admit I have a weakness for conspiracy. I'm back to thinking that these SODs (Sowers of Discord, whom Dante placed in the lowest circle of his Inferno) are paid to troll.

On the other hand, the fact that he retreated as soon as he was called out suggests he was doing it on his own.

I don't think anyone here was using "shill" by its literal meaning, but I thought it was amusing that he made a few posts while at the company that makes the product he's defending. Maybe it's paid, maybe just an enthusiastic employee doing unpaid cheerleading, maybe it's Stockholm syndrome, the result is at least interesting.

I think it is a bit sad for that person to hide behind an (IMO) uninteresting and kitschy alias.

People really weren't fooled last time around either, and I happened to confirm the truth of their suspicions some time afterward.