In-depth Review: Apple's iPad 2 running iOS 4.3

Comments

• Reply 141 of 221
    I suppose the trolls have a Faux Noise-type list of Talking Points? to worm into the stinkbombs they explode on every Applecentric forum, but still, the double standard they expect us to use when evaluating Apple's performance and motivations is gob-smacking. (Not as gob-smacking as the number of people who eat their crap with a spoon, but nevertheless gob-smacking.)

Hard drive manufacturers start quoting their drive sizes in decimal. Apple calls the drives by their manufacturer's designations. Your 160 GB HD formats out at 149. Crime!! Conspiracy!!

Apple rewrites Snow Leopard to have a smaller footprint, and tells people to expect a little more drive space. Meanwhile they've been "fatigued into compliance" and start formatting in decimal. There's a huge jump when installing SL. "They started formatting your drives differently to decieve you!" Crime!! Conspiracy!!

Apple has a product that's so popular that their manufacturers and distribution channels can't meet the demand. Crime!! Conspiracy!!

Last time (on the iPad 1) Apple wouldn't accept cash to prevent scalping. "What about people who don't have credit cards?" Crime!! Conspiracy!!

This time they accept cash and scalping is rampant. Crime!! Conspiracy!!

They allowed online preorders of the Verizon iPhone, and there were no lines worth mentioning. "Lol! The launch was a failure! Apple is Doooomed!!!!"

They don't allow online preorders of the iPad 2. "It's just a plot to make the lines longer and get news coverage!" Crime!! Conspiracy!!

Meanwhile, Microsoft always, always, quotes "units shipped" as if they were actually sold, not sitting in warehouses all over the world, and the tech press breathlessly reports their wild success! Silence!

Samsung does the same thing and even uses that number to divide into the number of returns to get a seemingly low rate. Silence!

Samsung tries to spin a statement by one of their executives that "Sales were quite small" by replacing the word "small" with "smooth", a word which makes absolutely no sense in context, "Oh well then, that's different!" Can you even imagine if Steve Jobs tried such a lame-ass "correction"? They'd laugh their spleens out!

Now it's hard to get an iPad 2. Suppose Apple did what they want, manufactured and distributed tens of millions of units before even announcing them, thus avoiding all "hype", somehow stored them in space-warps in each store (same technology as the Reality Distortion Field? I guess) and had them all ready to hand out on launch day. Can you imagine the outcry if this became known beforehand? Apple "Keeping iPads from customers who want one"? It would be the crime of the century!

What I really want is for one, just one, of these people to actually suggest something (and not insane crap like Pseudonym did earlier) that would make them happy, that would mean?to them?that Apple was doing something right. They can't. because in their universe, Apple can do no right!
  • Reply 142 of 221
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Besides, I'm tech support for enough relations already. You just don't get it. You need a PC to set it up and that's a con.

No, you just don't get it. It's simply the state of things at this point in time.
  • Reply 143 of 221
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    As has been noted, Post-PC here is a term that refers to point-of-use. In the Post-PC era, PCs still exist but their role is changed. They act more as hubs than as the direct interface. So, your PC is at your desk, your iPad is used on your bed or sofa or somewhat mobile (Ie., remote but mobile) and your phone is used when you're completely mobile.

My interest has been piqued by this wireless Library sharing...Kind of overcomes the capacity issues because I don't need to sync it all. Plus I kinda figure that I don't actually need to put my media on an iPad, because my iPhone will always be there when I'm out and about.

So I'm toying with the idea of getting a 32GB iPad 2 in the summer.
  • Reply 144 of 221
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

How does grandma set it up without a PC?

Using his?
  • Reply 145 of 221
    [QUOTE=solipsism;1831837]The posting style tells me it?s a guy. The name Sue obviously comes from the pronunciation of pseudonym. I think it?s likely it one of the previous trolls under an alias they made last year. It does sound a lot like iGenius, though not as braindead as Teckstud and less rancorous than DaHarder. Regardless, I?d bet money it?s a guy.

Sue Denim - Used Mine ??
  • Reply 146 of 221
    samwellsamwell Posts: 78member
    Hi, I'm banned. Why won't somebody love me?
  • Reply 147 of 221
    sipadansipadan Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

I suppose the trolls have a Faux Noise-type list of Talking Points™ to worm into the stinkbombs they explode on every Applecentric forum, but still, the double standard they expect us to use when evaluating Apple's performance and motivations is gob-smacking. (Not as gob-smacking as the number of people who eat their crap with a spoon, but nevertheless gob-smacking.)

Hard drive manufacturers start quoting their drive sizes in decimal. Apple calls the drives by their manufacturer's designations. Your 160 GB HD formats out at 149. Crime!! Conspiracy!!

Apple rewrites Snow Leopard to have a smaller footprint, and tells people to expect a little more drive space. Meanwhile they've been "fatigued into compliance" and start formatting in decimal. There's a huge jump when installing SL. "They started formatting your drives differently to decieve you!" Crime!! Conspiracy!!

Apple has a product that's so popular that their manufacturers and distribution channels can't meet the demand. Crime!! Conspiracy!!

Last time (on the iPad 1) Apple wouldn't accept cash to prevent scalping. "What about people who don't have credit cards?" Crime!! Conspiracy!!

This time they accept cash and scalping is rampant. Crime!! Conspiracy!!

They allowed online preorders of the Verizon iPhone, and there were no lines worth mentioning. "Lol! The launch was a failure! Apple is Doooomed!!!!"

They don't allow online preorders of the iPad 2. "It's just a plot to make the lines longer and get news coverage!" Crime!! Conspiracy!!

Meanwhile, Microsoft always, always, quotes "units shipped" as if they were actually sold, not sitting in warehouses all over the world, and the tech press breathlessly reports their wild success! Silence!

Samsung does the same thing and even uses that number to divide into the number of returns to get a seemingly low rate. Silence!

Samsung tries to spin a statement by one of their executives that "Sales were quite small" by replacing the word "small" with "smooth", a word which makes absolutely no sense in context, "Oh well then, that's different!" Can you even imagine if Steve Jobs tried such a lame-ass "correction"? They'd laugh their spleens out!

Now it's hard to get an iPad 2. Suppose Apple did what they want, manufactured and distributed tens of millions of units before even announcing them, thus avoiding all "hype", somehow stored them in space-warps in each store (same technology as the Reality Distortion Field™ I guess) and had them all ready to hand out on launch day. Can you imagine the outcry if this became known beforehand? Apple "Keeping iPads from customers who want one"? It would be the crime of the century!

What I really want is for one, just one, of these people to actually suggest something (and not insane crap like Pseudonym did earlier) that would make them happy, that would mean—to them—that Apple was doing something right. They can't. because in their universe, Apple can do no right!

Sad thing is, and your examples are spot-on, I bet there's about a hundred times more of them, on practically everything Apple manufactures, reports, says or do. Being anti Apple is a religion, and while some Apple enthusiasts also exhibit the same sort of reality distorted reasoning, nothing can be gained by arguing with them.

If only the Apple haters could stay away from AI. I mean I don't go post on Android forums to flame their products,first I can't care less about trying to force my opinion on others and second I care even less about what "most" people use. I have my opinion and as long as I'm satisfied with the products I use I will stay a loyal customer, no matter what some trolls objects to it. But if only they could stay away from here and let others be different...
  • Reply 148 of 221
    Quote:

What the hell are you talking about? She lives on the other side of the country. Besides, I'm tech support for enough relations already. You just don't get it. You need a PC to set it up and that's a con.

I hear you on the relatives (add in friends and neighbors) support thing

On the 'con' thing ... it would only be a con if Apple hid that fact. On the up side, as pointed out, it is a hell of a lot safer than a cloud based system at this juncture in time. Also there are millions (billions) of old PCs out there that can run iTunes and have USB. They are so numerous Good Will have signs saying they don't want any more around here. So for now at least there is no shortage of free 'base stations' for iPads. Just think, if you wipe an old PC, install XP and only ran iTunes they might actually work! There is a business opportunity there. "Save our land fills from PCs, turn one into an iPad base station"
  • Reply 149 of 221
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    So is anyone having a hard time buying a xoom or tab?
  • Reply 150 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

So is anyone having a hard time buying a xoom or tab?

You'd have to want one to know I guess hence the sparsity of info on that!

http://www.crunchgear.com/2011/03/11...lling-so-well/
  • Reply 151 of 221
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The posting style tells me it?s a guy. The name Sue obviously comes from the pronunciation of pseudonym. I think it?s likely it one of the previous trolls under an alias they made last year. It does sound a lot like iGenius, though not as braindead as Teckstud and less rancorous than DaHarder. Regardless, I?d bet money it?s a guy. ...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

If I recall correctly, there was another SueDenim/Sue Denim/Sue_Denim that trolled several months ago, very pro-Flash/Adobe.

Yes, exactly, "Sue" is an Adobe shill who was previously banned.

I particularly found the comment about how you should always have the same number of pros and cons for the purpose of "objectivity" ridiculously amusing. Under this theory of reviewing a product, not only should a great product have the same number of cons pointed out as a crappy product, but a crappy product should have the same number of pros pointed out as a great product. According to this logic, you either have to ignore some of the pros of great products, or the cons of crappy products, or your review isn't "objective". This is the sort of total inversion of logic that dishonest shilling leads to, especially when you work for a company like Adobe and are trying to promote Flash.
  • Reply 152 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I particularly found the comment about how you should always have the same number of pros and cons for the purpose of "objectivity" ridiculously amusing. Under this theory of reviewing a product, not only should a great product have the same number of cons pointed out as a crappy product, but a crappy product should have the same number of pros pointed out as a great product. According to this logic, you either have to ignore some of the pros of great products, or the cons of crappy products, or your review isn't "objective". This is the sort of total inversion of logic that dishonest shilling leads to, especially when you work for a company like Adobe and are trying to promote Flash.

Kind of like ... On the one hand I agree on the other I don't
  • Reply 153 of 221
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Exactly, "Sue" has made some posts from Adobe IPs.
  • Reply 154 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Oh, yes. Launching the iPad in 100 countries at the same time is definitely going to provide better availability than launching in a few countries at a time.

You have a serious reading comprehension problem.

I said nothing about solving the availability problem. I was talking about solving the scalping problem.

Simultaneous launch will have a net zero effect on availability. It will, however, have a positive effect on discouraging scalping.
  • Reply 155 of 221
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RolandG View Post

My thoughts exactly. I think there should be three options:

1. Management components (for activation, sync and backup) and storage could reside on a local computer. Basically the current solution.

2. Management components and storage could be provided by the TimeCapsule-like device you suggested.

3. Management and storage could be provided as a cloud service. Additionally, the cloud data could be synched with local storage (solutions 1 and 2) automatically and transparently.

Agreed - although I don't know if 3) is plausible yet. Well, in some areas - it's too slow to backup 64GB of data. It could be a business opportunity for Internet providers so that you only have to upload to your ISPs servers and not over the general Internet. "Want an iPad but don't have a PC? Backup with us for only $5 extra per month!"
  • Reply 156 of 221
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You'd have to want one to know I guess hence the sparsity of info on that!

http://www.crunchgear.com/2011/03/11...lling-so-well/

Poor other tablets. No one wants to scalp them.
  • Reply 157 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

They can't even launch in 1 country properly right now, I'd hate to see what would happen if it were 100.

There would be a negative effect on availability in the US. There would be a positive effect on availability everywhere else.

Quote:

One other reason that some countries get theirs later is because I think that carrier agreements are not always in place in every country at the same time, and those countries will get theirs later.

But not for the WiFi version, which is by far the most widely sold (and widely scalped) version.
  • Reply 158 of 221
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMoan View Post

iPad! Bah! I just filed my taxes using Free File Fillable Forms. It's all Flash based. Try doing that with an iPad.

Who cares? You found some specific Flash based tax forms. Are you claiming you need flash to make them? You don't. You could use one of the many online services or download tax software for their iPad. Don't know about the US, but in Canada, TaxFreeway is available as a native iPad app.

"I could do task x because this particular implementation is flash. Try doing that on an iPad." Not really an argument unless there's no alternative and we really really want to do task x.
  • Reply 159 of 221
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Exactly, "Sue" has made some posts from Adobe IPs.

Just curiuos, how do you know they are adobe IPs?
  • Reply 160 of 221
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Who cares? You found some specific Flash based tax forms. Are you claiming you need flash to make them? You don't. You could use one of the many online services or download tax software for their iPad. Don't know about the US, but in Canada, TaxFreeway is available as a native iPad app.

"I could do task x because this particular implementation is flash. Try doing that on an iPad." Not really an argument unless there's no alternative and we really really want to do task x.

TurboTax in US. I haven't used the iPad version. My understanding is it won't import your prior returns stored on other devices. I also believe they have a web version.