Steve Jobs grossly exaggerated Android tablet app market size

Comments

• Reply 101 of 147
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

How does one unzoom the size of the human finger so that the controls in that drum app will become usable?

You don't, you zoom into the app and make the controls larger! But you knew that. Right...?
  • Reply 102 of 147
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    I couldn't care less how many apps are available on any platform. I only care about whether there are QUALITY apps that serve my needs. 20,000 apps the equivalent of iFart doesn't help me.

Back in the days when few developers were developing for the Mac, this was the mantra coming out of Apple: that it didn't matter that there were far fewer apps for the Mac as opposed to the PC as long as there was at least one or two decent word processors, spreadsheet, drawing program, video editor, etc. That made sense then and it makes sense now.

I believe the future in both physical and virtual commerce is going to be curation, not comprehensivness. The fact that Apple has so many apps in the store makes it harder to choose, not easier. (Of course, if Apple tried to limit what's in the app store or on iTunes, people would go nuts and cry censorship.) But all of the sites have to find a way to have the best apps or content "float to the top" and sales levels are actually a poor indicator because they are self-fulfilling.
  • Reply 103 of 147
    pwozpwoz Posts: 1member
    I have a Thunderbolt and an iPad2. I love both, but I am no fanboy of either apple/android. I am a fanboy of capitalism.

Companies will always try to out do each other and the consumer will always win.

I went from the G1 -> Nexus One -> Thunderbolt with my phones. At first the app support was bleh, but when big games like Angry Birds started being ported over, more are following (games and apps). Android is growing dramatically in the phone market, but they are still newbies with tablets... plus keep in mind that Honeycomb 3.0 is not really catered toward phones, just tablets (2.2/2.3 don't really support dual core processors).

OTOH, my ipad2 is fun. The apps are great and the hardware is nice. If I decide to switch to an android tablet, it will be because they caught up better on the apps and it's the best device for my budget... that's what it really comes down to...

For phones, there is nothing better than Android right now, hands down.. the iphone4 is fine, but even my Nexus One was better than that.. the Thunderbolt... nothing on the market beats this phone, not even the upcoming dual core Bionic (until it gets 3.0)... hell they just released the kernel for the Tbolt and it's been overclocked to 1.8ghz.

I suspect the iphone5 will be 4G and dual core, and the cycle will continue. Hail capitalism!
  • Reply 104 of 147
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    [QUOTE=MacRulez;1838882 So how many of the controls in the iPad drum machine can be used without accidentally triggering something you weren't aiming for?

More controls != more usable.[/QUOTE]

Sure, I just grabbed something to make an example. You can pick any of a dozen other sophisticated sequencing/drum apps for the iPad, from Korg, MPC et al.
  • Reply 105 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

So how many of the controls in the iPad drum machine can be used without accidentally triggering something you weren't aiming for?

More controls != more usable.

Sure, I just picked something to indicate the amount of effort going into iPad apps. You can pick any of a dozen other sophisticated sequencing/drum apps for the iPad.

There's a difference between crude and simple.
  • Reply 106 of 147
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,118member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

@ Finally, where is the killer app for Android tablets, or even Android full stop. If there are any good apps out there, they are also available on iOS, if they are exclusive to Android, there will be a better exclusive on iOS. This is an almost universal law. Show me a single Android app that is genuinely a) great and b) not available on iOS or bettered by something that is exclusive iOS - and of course I am not talking task managers, launcher widgets or other cruft that is basically just OS tinkering like a big boy PC would have.

Actually, I have an iPhone and an iPad 2, but I'm a little jealous of Swype typing on Android, which as far as I know doesn't exist for iOS but I would love to be wrong about this. I'm hoping that it will be included in the next version of iOS. I'm not sure if this qualifies as an App in the sense that you intended.
  • Reply 107 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Lost the Mobile phone OS market? To dozens of mutually incompatible, unupdateable versions of Android, given away up to buy one, get five free, while people are paying full price for iPhones and standing in line for the privilege? You Fandroids are so amusing!

Sell all your iDevices? Like anyone here believes you've ever touched an iDevice! If you expect to earn your pay, you're going to have to troll a lot better than this.

Never touched one? ROFL! My first computer ever was an Apple ][+ and since then I've own everything from 1st gen iPods, 1st Gen iPad, and the last 3 models of iPhones (I'll always keep my Mac Mini Server). You are a prime example of the idiot fanboy that thinks owning an iDevice is something special. Its just another Gizmo to me and I have too many of those from every manufacturer under the sun.

I detest the fanboy mentality not the product. So suck on that Mac-Sochist. You are the kind of person that makes owning an Apple product a dirty thing in my opinion. I don't even want to be mistaken for one of your kind. Even arguing with Fanboys is right up there with debating the existence or non-existence of god with christians. You've literally taken this to a religious level the way you defend it and worship it. Nuff said.
  • Reply 108 of 147
    I would suggest reporting this gentleman's last few posts to get the mods attention. There's that nice little red exclamation point on every post, you just have to click it and send.
  • Reply 109 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andykemp View Post

My first computer ever was an Apple ][+ and since then I've own everything from 1st gen iPods, 1st Gen iPad, and the last 3 models of iPhones (I'll always keep my Mac Mini Server).

You know of course that this kind of lying crap about all the Apple products you've owned, while hating Apple with a purple passion, is the deadest of dead giveaways of the paid shill. You do realize that, right....?
  • Reply 110 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

You know of course that this kind of lying crap about all the Apple products you've owned, while hating Apple with a purple passion, is the deadest of dead giveaways of the paid shill. You do realize that, right....?

Don't bother just report. Shrill trolling doesn't have any content worth responding to.
  • Reply 111 of 147
    luisdiasluisdias Posts: 277member
    Quote:

I heard this is the place to hang out if you're an delusional Apple Fanboi = smug, pathetic, wannabe hipster douchebag.

You guys really work hard on that false sense of superiority. Give the tablet market a bit more time and Apple will lose that also.

Apple lost the desktop OS war with Microsoft and the Mobile phone OS market. Failed at both of those. Now they have a headstart on tablets but will lose that also. Get ready to be on the losing side again Apple Fanbois.

Think I'll sell all my iDevices just so no one mistakes me for an Apple Fanboi. Serious bottom feeders of the tech world.

Reported.
  • Reply 112 of 147
    brainlessbrainless Posts: 272member
    Quote:

The thing is, that it's the OS "guessing" at how to remodel the UI based on the available screen size. Not all tablets (not all Android tablets) have consistent screen sizes, 1024x600, 1024x768, 1280x 1024 etc, all at different aspect ratios from 4:3 to 16:9 through 8:5 etc

The UI designer for these apps isn't specifying a design, the OS is merely extrapolating from one res at one ratio to another, and I would guess that even if it get's it right, it would not be the choice of UI that the designer would choose to do with that extra real estate. I'm sure the like iPad apps, the choice of design will be totally different, not just repositioned.

Will try it again. What you describe above, is exactly the situation that happens in the world of desktop or web applications. Nobody is surprised and there are many ways how to deal with this in pretty efficient way. Professional designer can deal with different sizes and even different ratios. If you think you need to provide layout for an exact size, Android gives you pretty good way how to deal with this (it is called buckets, and are completely transparent for the application logic). As a result, many applications that were created before the introduction of Honeycomb work pretty well and utilize the screen estate alright.

Quote:

And you are right, iPhone apps look stupid on iOS, at least they could introduce native "retina" resolution without scaling on the iPad for apps that have retina resolution UIs. There would still be a border, but it would be smaller and not zoomed. This is the worst of both worlds, a retina UI iPhone app that is scaled down to the old size then zoomed up...luckily very few iPhone apps that you would want to tun on an iPad don't already have iPad versions anyway, but there are some standout irritating refuseniks, like Spotify etc.

Agree. The ugly way how iPhone 4 specific apps are down-sampled and then zoomed for iPad is very "un-Apple" and unpleasant. Hope they can fix it. There still quite a lot of apps that are iPhone only (I might have almost 1/3 of them on my iPad and hate look of most of them)
  • Reply 113 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shao View Post

some remind me how many native ipad apps were available before the hardware / os was, again? steve jobs, the ultimate troll - the guy should have finished school so he could learn how to write fair comparisons

Engadget reported there were 1,350 iPad apps the night before the iPad launched...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/01/n...apps-revealed/
  • Reply 114 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Considering Honeycomb 3.0 is new to market, yes I am positive I am right.

Perhaps the reason Honeycomb is new to market is the reason there are just a few apps created specifically for this version ?

There is quite a difference in the look of 2x zoomed iPhone apps and apps done for Froyo or Gingerbread using fluent layouts (standard, recommended practice on Android) which work pretty well on bigger screen of Honeycomb.

Your note about the lack of touch-based interface shows that you are completely wrong, that was what I was referring to.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Your name fits you well.

Only true retards make an argument from a screen name.
  • Reply 115 of 147
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

I have too many of those from every manufacturer under the sun.

DaHarder mkII?
  • Reply 116 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

The spelling error aside, you really must have been dying to try and make use of such an unused word in the English Lexicon.

By the way, it's asymptotically. Unfortunately, you should actually be discussing the Limit of the market growth in apps being produced by Android because the horizontal axis is not that sexy of an asymptote.

Do you want to contribute anything worthy, or are you just trying to piss off anyone who isn't an english speaker, mr grammar nazi?
  • Reply 117 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Engadget reported there were 1,350 iPad apps the night before the iPad launched...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/01/n...apps-revealed/

That only means there was close to 1350 apps that were never run in the real device before publishing. I am not sure if that is necessarily a good thing.

Xoom is definitely popular among developers (latest developers conference I attended had a volume of those babies in the audience) and it is just a matter of (very short) time before this is complete non issue.
  • Reply 118 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

As long as Honeycomb has great full-power, easy-to-use tablet apps that can match the quality of GarageBand, iDraw, SketchBook, Numbers, Keynote, iTeleport, and a few hundred more of the very best, plus a couple thousand really good games to choose from (because we all want choice), who cares if Android tablets have less of the mediocre and poor apps?

Now that's a good point. Where the fuck is the GarageBand, the iDraw, the SketchBook, the Numbers, the Keynote, etc., of Honeycomb?

Because at least 3 or 4 of those already existed on the iPad from day fucking one.
  • Reply 119 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brainless View Post

Will try it again. What you describe above, is exactly the situation that happens in the world of desktop or web applications. Nobody is surprised and there are many ways how to deal with this in pretty efficient way. Professional designer can deal with different sizes and even different ratios. If you think you need to provide layout for an exact size, Android gives you pretty good way how to deal with this (it is called buckets, and are completely transparent for the application logic). As a result, many applications that were created before the introduction of Honeycomb work pretty well and utilize the screen estate alright.

""Many, pretty well and alright" aren't nearly as good as "made for the device" though, are they? I understand you want to talk about upscaled iPad apps vs. upscaled Honeycomb apps because (assuming the developer did it right) the Honeycomb app can look a bit better (although it can also be rendered almost unusable).

But of course this is all moot since there is a plethora of iPad specific apps available, which is of course the point you're trying to avoid.

Quote:

Agree. The ugly way how iPhone 4 specific apps are down-sampled and then zoomed for iPad is very "un-Apple" and unpleasant. Hope they can fix it. There still quite a lot of apps that are iPhone only (I might have almost 1/3 of them on my iPad and hate look of most of them)

They're not going to "fix" it, they're going to welcome the huge variety of applications specifically developed for the iPad. How you think a system wherein phone apps end up looking "OK" or "pretty good" is a preferable solution eludes me.
  • Reply 120 of 147
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted