Steve Jobs grossly exaggerated Android tablet app market size

Comments

• Reply 121 of 147
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brainless View Post

That only means there was close to 1350 apps that were never run in the real device before publishing. I am not sure if that is necessarily a good thing.

Xoom is definitely popular among developers (latest developers conference I attended had a volume of those babies in the audience) and it is just a matter of (very short) time before this is complete non issue.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

Now that's a good point. Where the fuck is the GarageBand, the iDraw, the SketchBook, the Numbers, the Keynote, etc., of Honeycomb?

Because at least 3 or 4 of those already existed on the iPad from day fucking one.

Yes, this. It's not about total numbers it's about quality. Android handsets could get away with a lot of low functionality or single purpose apps, plus the usual big franchise items, because Android phones are largely used as communications and web service clients. Twitter app, e-mail client, browser, text, some way to look at video, some way to listen to music.

Tablets are the new personal computer. People aren't going to be satisfied with widgets; they'll expect actual applications. Sure, developers will make stuff for Honeycomb. But which developers, and how well?

Where is something like the Omni group for Honeycomb? Or Apple themselves, for that matter? Which Android developer has the resources or desire to do the heavy lifting for a Garageband or Omnigraffle? Where are the slick Android only houses like Tapbot?

Big screen, half assed becomes noticeable, which is why I posted the screen shot of that drum app. It appears to be to be typical of the breed-- just get something out there with some functionality, maybe you can make a few bucks. Beyond marquee games and Google services, interest in sophisticated apps seem to drop off sharply in Android land. That works fine for a phone, not so much for a tablet.
  • Reply 122 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

And then there's the difference between complicated and usable.

As I say, you can take your pick of sequencer/drum apps. If you really want to hang your usability argument on that crude drum app, or try to claim that Android tablet apps are on the whole more usable than iPad apps, be my guest, but it's pretty obvious your arguing just to be arguing.
  • Reply 123 of 147
    Quote:

That only means there was close to 1350 apps that were never run in the real device before publishing. I am not sure if that is necessarily a good thing.

What's good about it is that there was huge developer support for the iPad, before it was released. And after the iPad was released... the apps kept coming.

These developers KNEW the iPad was gonna be a hit... so they spend the time to make apps. And within a week there were over a million iPads out in the world... and that many customers to purchase your apps. And now... 15 million iPads out there.

Quote:

Xoom is definitely popular among developers (latest developers conference I attended had a volume of those babies in the audience) and it is just a matter of (very short) time before this is complete non issue.

Before what is a non-issue? The iPad had over 1,300 apps when it launched. Honeycomb had somewhere between 16 and 100. That's what this whole article is about.

The Xoom has been out for a month... and everyone says how much "better" the Xoom is than the iPad.

You even said the Xoom is popular with developers. But I guess they aren't busy making apps... since every time I Google "Honeycomb apps" I keep getting CNN, Flixster, Weatherbug, etc. What's funny is... there are plenty of "Top 10" lists for Honeycomb apps... when there aren't that many to begin with.

I have no doubt that Honeycomb tablets will take off. It's just gonna take some time to move some units... so developers have a reason to make Honeycomb apps.

Right now... there are 15 million reasons to develop apps for the iPad... there are a helluva lot of iPad customers out there.
  • Reply 124 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pwoz View Post

I have a Thunderbolt and an iPad2. I love both, but I am no fanboy of either apple/android. I am a fanboy of capitalism.

Companies will always try to out do each other and the consumer will always win.

I went from the G1 -> Nexus One -> Thunderbolt with my phones. At first the app support was bleh, but when big games like Angry Birds started being ported over, more are following (games and apps). Android is growing dramatically in the phone market, but they are still newbies with tablets... plus keep in mind that Honeycomb 3.0 is not really catered toward phones, just tablets (2.2/2.3 don't really support dual core processors).

OTOH, my ipad2 is fun. The apps are great and the hardware is nice. If I decide to switch to an android tablet, it will be because they caught up better on the apps and it's the best device for my budget... that's what it really comes down to...

For phones, there is nothing better than Android right now, hands down.. the iphone4 is fine, but even my Nexus One was better than that.. the Thunderbolt... nothing on the market beats this phone, not even the upcoming dual core Bionic (until it gets 3.0)... hell they just released the kernel for the Tbolt and it's been overclocked to 1.8ghz.

I suspect the iphone5 will be 4G and dual core, and the cycle will continue. Hail capitalism!

I've asked this question in other threads:

What can you do on a phone that needs or takes advantage of a dual-core cpu?

I suppose that the iPhone 5 will use the A5 chip -- but that may be for reasons of production, assembly and economies of scale.

The iPhone 4 has no performance issues that I am aware of.

The iPad with its larger screen, supporting more robust apps, can easily exploit the additional "power" -- but for a phone...

• Reply 125 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

What can you do on a phone that needs or takes advantage of a dual-core cpu?....<snip>

Brag about it.
  • Reply 126 of 147
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

What can you do on a phone that needs or takes advantage of a dual-core cpu?

I suppose that the iPhone 5 will use the A5 chip -- but that may be for reasons of production, assembly and economies of scale.

The iPhone 4 has no performance issues that I am aware of.

The iPad with its larger screen, supporting more robust apps, can easily exploit the additional "power" -- but for a phone...

As Stephen Colbert put in regards to the iPad 2?s GPU improvements: ?It can not play Flash 9x faster."
  • Reply 127 of 147
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

Actually, I have an iPhone and an iPad 2, but I'm a little jealous of Swype typing on Android, which as far as I know doesn't exist for iOS but I would love to be wrong about this. I'm hoping that it will be included in the next version of iOS. I'm not sure if this qualifies as an App in the sense that you intended.

The one where you slide your finger over the letters and pause slightly to type each character? If so then it was one of the first generations of apps to appear after the iPhone 3G came out, but as there was no cut/paste at the time and you can't use it as the default text entry system (so yeah, not what I meant at all, it's an os tweak more than an app in it's own right) it never gained much traction. Probably of more use now, look it up.
  • Reply 128 of 147
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shao View Post

some remind me how many native ipad apps were available before the hardware / os was, again? steve jobs, the ultimate troll - the guy should have finished school so he could learn how to write fair comparisons

A thousand, wasn't it?
  • Reply 129 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

This just proves how much Apple lies about everything.

HAHAHAHA!! nice.
  • Reply 130 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

A thousand, wasn't it?

This is a comment on your signature: "Adobe Jones" sounds like it oughta be the name of some hipster alt-folk-rock band. E.g. Dude, have you heard the new Adobe Jones album? Listen to track #6--it'll totally blow your mind!
  • Reply 131 of 147
    great post!

hahahah

apple ftw
  • Reply 132 of 147
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

When will Android ever catch up to Apple?

That was already announced in another thread. A Microsoft EXC said when the PC is replaced with smartphones and the iPad fails.
  • Reply 133 of 147
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UralBas View Post

Thats not a problem, its just reality.

The reality is phones and tablets are not the same and Android tablets are now more than a year behind the iPad and have no sign of picking up despite the plethora of "iPad killers" that have existed since Apple announced the iPad.
  • Reply 134 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

I will be a little more giving to the iFan's. I predict Android apps will pass the iPhone in 2012, not in 2011 Of course sales have already suprassed the iOS phones.

When Android ecosystem profits pass the iOS ecosystem profits, you will have something interesting.

Otherwise your just doing the equivalent of comparing your ePenis to everyone else's.

Compensating much?

Quote:

A year from now there will be a dozen good Andriod tablets running Honeycomb + and probably for cheaper than the iPad. Again I predict the iPad will drop to number 2 and do so faster than the iPhone did.

What are you willing to bet?

You willing to bet that Android will continue to outpace Apple in market share in the US with the iPhone on Verizon?
  • Reply 135 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UralBas View Post

iOS devices have the following going against them:

a) Apple Dictatorship

Which leads to stability and utility.

Quote:

b) Closed System

See a) above

Quote:

c) Too long of a development cycle (one year compared to 4 months for Android Hardwarewise)

See a) and b) above

Quote:

d) History

What history? Who's history? How specifically does history have anything to do with the iOS which is a completely new platform and philosophy of personal computing?

Quote:

e) Price

This is absolutely rich. Unsubsidized to unsubsidized device, Apple is wiping the floor with it's competitors.

And of all your bogus points, this is the easiest for the average person to understand. Good luck with that!

Quote:

And its not the best phone out there. Actually Mobiado carries the BEST phone to date, the ctp002 and its Android.

What's your definition of "best"? Nothing about that phone screams "best" to me. It has lots of features and impressive specs - but thats hardly all that matters.

Quote:

Give it another three years and Ill be back to smile on you guys like I have done so with the G1.

I doubt you will be back and you definitely won't be smiling. Tablets are nothing like phones. Without carriers to subsidize and push them, they will be nothing but still born. If Android tablets are half as successful as netbooks I'll be astonished.

And I wouldn't be so smug about your Android "sales" and market share numbers. Again, when the Android ecosystem produces more profit than the iOS ecosystem you will have something to crow about. Otherwise it's just allot of meaningless noise.
  • Reply 136 of 147
    brainlessbrainless Posts: 272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

""Many, pretty well and alright" aren't nearly as good as "made for the device" though, are they? I understand you want to talk about upscaled iPad apps vs. upscaled Honeycomb apps because (assuming the developer did it right) the Honeycomb app can look a bit better (although it can also be rendered almost unusable).

But of course this is all moot since there is a plethora of iPad specific apps available, which is of course the point you're trying to avoid.

No, I am not trying to avoid anything. It is obvious that iPad come to market first and has a clear head start. This is the reason why it has so many great apps made specifically for tablet, which Honeycomb has not - at this very moment. Give it a little time...

This article wanted to paint Honeycomb tablets as totally useless, since there is just 16 apps that you can use and NOTHING else. My point is, there is plenty of apps that are very useful, because Android is made to handle multiple resolutions out of the box, unlike on iPad, where 2x zoom is just painful : I wouldn't call it "a bit better".

Quote:

They're not going to "fix" it, they're going to welcome the huge variety of applications specifically developed for the iPad. How you think a system wherein phone apps end up looking "OK" or "pretty good" is a preferable solution eludes me.

By "fix it" I mean Apple is going to add support for the resolution independence to the iOS eventually. Right now, there are 3 different screen sizes, they might introduce new iPad screen size soon, they might eventually introduce multiple iPhone models and developing the app for that many resolutions is not feasible. Many iOS developers write apps so that they will run on arbitrary display size anyways, but Android have much better tools build in to make this transparent and very easy for the developer.
  • Reply 137 of 147
    Quote:

Where is something like the Omni group for Honeycomb? Or Apple themselves, for that matter? Which Android developer has the resources or desire to do the heavy lifting for a Garageband or Omnigraffle? Where are the slick Android only houses like Tapbot?

There are Android only apps. Android has one huge advantage, that you can distribute your app yourself, which works better in certain scenarios plus you don't have to risk rejection from the AppStore, which might keep big players off iOS.

Plus times are changing on the store too. Perhaps you've read the story of multiplatform developer claiming he's sold way more copies in the Android Market compared to AppStore. Android Market just introduced in-app payments, they are adding other options to pay except of credit card, adding new countries...those little changes can go a long way.
  • Reply 138 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

Now that's a good point. Where the fuck is the GarageBand, the iDraw, the SketchBook, the Numbers, the Keynote, etc., of Honeycomb?

Because at least 3 or 4 of those already existed on the iPad from day fucking one.

For one, SketchBook is there for quite a long time and it works just fine on Honeycomb. Sure, there is nothing like Keynote or Numbers (for now). But there is a similar major publisher for this platform : Google.

Where are the vector-based Maps for iPad, that you can pre-cache, so it works off-line ? That's a major app for me, more important that Numbers & Keynote combined (agree, personal preferences might differ).

There are other companies.. where is full web experience, including millions of pages with Flash on iPad ?

Then there are apps that just works on Honeycomb : there is Kindle, working great on big screen. There is best client for GMail. You have Angry Birds Rio. The list goes on and on... Its not that Honeycomb tablet is useless as this article tries to paint it.
  • Reply 139 of 147
    Quote:

For one, SketchBook is there for quite a long time and it works just fine on Honeycomb.

That's Sketchbook for Mobile, designed for phones. Sketchbook Pro is iPad only.

Quote:

Sure, there is nothing like Keynote or Numbers (for now). But there is a similar major publisher for this platform : Google. Where are the vector-based Maps for iPad, that you can pre-cache, so it works off-line ? That's a major app for me, more important that Numbers & Keynote combined (agree, personal preferences might differ).

As I've mentioned, Google's strengths are in web based services. But outside of maps that doesn't really make the use case for a tablet over a phone.

Quote:

There are other companies.. where is full web experience, including millions of pages with Flash on iPad ?

If you're reduced to citing Flash as an application you may be hard up for candidates.

Quote:

Then there are apps that just works on Honeycomb : there is Kindle, working great on big screen. There is best client for GMail. You have Angry Birds Rio. The list goes on and on... Its not that Honeycomb tablet is useless as this article tries to paint it.

That doesn't sound like a list that goes on and on. It sound like pretty the only things you could think of. Of that list, Kindle is a wash, an email client doesn't make the use case over a phone, and Angry Birds Rio, is, you know. Amazon trying to capitalize on the tail end of a fad, not a developer trend.

Honeycomb tablets aren't useless, but it's not clear why most people would want one over an Android phone, which already handles Gmail and assorted other Google services just fine. To play Angry Birds Rio? While the iPad keeps getting incorporated into more and more professional, retail and entertainment scenarios.

What's the motivation for hospitals already deploying iPads to switch to Android? Are Android tablets cheaper? Easier to administer? Easier to train employees on? More secure? What's the motivation for recording studios, film production companies, point of sale operations, theaters, informational kiosks, schools, training facilities, architectural firms, real estate firms, et al, that are already deploying iPads, to switch?
  • Reply 140 of 147
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:

Plus times are changing on the store too. Perhaps you've read the story of multiplatform developer claiming he's sold way more copies in the Android Market compared to AppStore. Android Market just introduced in-app payments, they are adding other options to pay except of credit card, adding new countries...those little changes can go a long way.

You are I think referring to Pocket God, and it's not surprising to see bigger sales via Android at this particular point in time given that it was pretty much a (the, even) launch game who's time has probably long since past on iOS.