Dell, anyone who works for Dell, anyone

Who owns a Dell, is a loser.
  • Reply 182 of 232
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Was worth the shot.
  • Reply 183 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4agilbert View Post

Anyone else notice that the Dell exec mentioned having to get a mouse? Doesn't really get the whole touch screen tablet thing does he?

Agreed: He must be thinking about that large market where a person needs a mouse and keyboard with a tablet.

Duh Dell, if I needed all three, I'd get a portable.
  • Reply 184 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kubrick View Post

Maybe in addition to his mouse and keyboard he has connected to his iPad he also has a printer, dual screens, and a USB bendable mini-fan.

You forgot the Floppy drive and the parallel port.
  • Reply 185 of 232
    "Dell is great if you?ve got a lot of money and have an incompetent IT staff that doesn't know how to administer Linux"

Fixed that for you. Hey Andy have you priced one of your Windows servers lately? I will concede that Dell has some decent, fairly reliable hardware. But as soon as you tack on Windows Server--which is WAAAAYYYYYYY overpriced for what it is--it's very expensive. And the only reason that IT departments spend that kind of money on this overpriced hardware/software is because their IT staff is too retarded to figure out Linux/*nix. I know this first hand working as the senior web developer for a large corporation. I was confounded that I had as much IT knowledge in many areas than some of our senior IT staff. This is a great example. I requested that there be some sort of version control implemented in our unit. So I approached our IT VP and he told me that they had looked into ClearCase from IBM but we couldn't work the five figures it will take into our budget. I then said that a Linux comes with open source Subversion and I could install that on an old desktop we have lying around. His response was that they didn't know Linux and if I left the company they would have anyone to be able to administer it. Really?!?!? Most of the IT people that I've met are retarded and if there isn't a Windows snap-in wizard for whatever they are doing they can't figure it out. Dell, Microsoft, IBM, HP depend on these retarded people and specifically build solutions around keeping them retarded.
  • Reply 186 of 232
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,128member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

Now Dell, HP, Microsoft, Nokia have a problem. On principle, the CEOs and management of this companies will not use Apple products (see Bill Gates admission that he and his family are not allowed to use Apple products), so they really don't know what a quality product looks and feels like.

If I were these guys, I would be spending a lot of time playing with the iPad to understand why it's so popular (and because it's fun).

Of course, the interesting thing about the Gates admission that they are not allowed to use Apple products is the fact that this rule is only needed because they want to use Apple products. I doubt a similar ban on Coby products has been necessary.
  • Reply 187 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Are you sure you didn't grab this from the Onion? I mean.. this is one of those pieces that's so over the top, it's not even worth commenting on. $1600 with accessories? A mouse? iPad will fail? I'm walking away before my head explodes.

Too Late!
  • Reply 188 of 232
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mknopp View Post

Guys, you need to give Mr. Lark ( ) a break.

The reason it cost him $1500-$1600 dollars was because he bought about a hundred different mice before the five year old down the street took pity on the poor fool ( ) and told him that the iPad doesn't need a mouse. I mean it took him at least a dozen mice before he figured out that the iPad didn't have a serial port.

THIS is a technology exec?

I figured it out. He was quoting the scalper price.
  • Reply 189 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

Apple is smug too, but at least they are only smug when they have an actual product to be smug about, and they don't make PR blunders this big by making random stuff up along the way.

I remember watching Jobs giving a product release maybe a year and a half ago. This was pre-iPad, and the launch included a new version of the iPod Touch, and touted its functionality as a great pocketable mini-computer. Then he put a picture up on the screen showing the backside of a guy in jeans with a Dell Mini 9 sticking out of his back pocket -- barely poking the corner in his back pocket. Everyone laughed. The idea was that this mini 9 just wasn't portable.

So what does Apple release within a year of that product launch? The iPad. With a 10" screen that is just as un-pocketable as that Dell Mini 9.

On top of that, Jobs makes fun of the 7" Galaxy Tab with the 'sand your fingers' comment. Well, how is it that iPhone and iPod Touch users use their miniscule machines then? If you have to sand your fingers down for a 7" Tab, what must you have to do to use an iPod Touch?!

The irony is amusing. Apple is just as good at poo-pooing everyone else -- whether it's actual-ware or vapor-ware.
  • Reply 190 of 232
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Here's a number for you Mr. Lark. The stock price of your company has dropped by 50 percent over the last three years. The only people still long Dell must be the ones dumb enough to keep drinking your Kool-Aid.
  • Reply 191 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lmac View Post

I rarely use a keyboard but who, exactly, uses a mouse with a tablet? Has that Dell guy ever touched one?

Well exactly! The main reason everyone is going to this touch screen configuration is because you don't need other "stuff" to use it!!! That's what makes the iPad so great!

But... that's Dell for you... they just don't get it
  • Reply 192 of 232
    rbryanhrbryanh Posts: 263member
    Those who can escape the schoolyard do. Those who can't often pursue petty, mean spirited lives. Envy, scapegoating, dishonesty, and a psychotic need to "win" whatever the cost... these are the characteristics of injured children who no one noticed or understood until it was too late.

Sadly, those who surround themselves with money and sycophants are less likely to overcome such handicaps than others. Perhaps that's just a way of saying that the sickest of us often devote their lives to surrounding themselves with money and sycophants, but either way, once they're trapped in the plush dungeons they create for themselves and surrounded by fawning, cringing guards dressed as courtiers, they hardly ever get out. They spend their lives desperately trying to make more of something they fail to notice never satisfied them in the first place, and gradually go down in bitterness, often doing enormous harm to others along the way.

It's a pity they're too big to spank. They need some sort of catharsis, and a 9 figure salary with bonuses to match combined with stock options obviously doesn't do the trick.
  • Reply 193 of 232
    Lark may be in lala land about the pricing, but I don't disagree with his comment about a mouse. iPhone and iPad are making huge inroads into the enterprise, and one of the uses there is to manage servers in a data center via remote desktop from iOS devices. Clicking tiny Windows UI elements with one's finger, such as the little expand/collapse + icons, is very difficult and you can easily mis-click on something you absolutely don't want to click on (like executing a database script before it's ready). Selecting several rows of text in an RDP session is also difficult (the native select feature in iOS doesn't work in a remote desktop session).

I definitely need a mouse to work with iOS devices, but currently Apple blocks it (you can pair Bluetooth keyboards, but not mice) -- presumably because it would work even more to negate the need to also own a full Mac. I would buy another iPad 2 right this second if it would support a Bluetooth mouse.

You can jailbreak the iOS devices to enable mouse support, but I do not want to do that.
  • Reply 194 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

These are CEOs. Management. They may be clueless but they are no different from most other management types. They are bean counters. They talk to other bean counters. They know quality only available to the super-rich: yachts, Lamborghinis, exclusive restaurants, mansions. For the most part, they have no knowledge of, and care less about the products they sell to their ultimate customers. Their customers are those in their supply chain, the volume purchasers, and distributors.

The rich man has his motor-car,

His country and his town estate.

He smokes a fifty-cent cigar

And jeers at Fate.

He frivols through the livelong day,

He knows not Poverty, her pinch.

His lot seems light, his heart seems gay;

He has a cinch.

Yet though my lamp burns low and dim,

Though I must slave for livelihood?

Think you that I would change with him?

You bet I would!

-Franklin Pierce Adams-

-written in 1916-

• Reply 195 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lmac View Post

I rarely use a keyboard but who, exactly, uses a mouse with a tablet? Has that Dell guy ever touched one?

Maybe he was referring to the Lap Mouse / Joystick

• Reply 196 of 232
    Such ridiculous statements. It was because of Dell and Microsoft garbage I am now an Apple fanboy. It's because of 6 different HP piece of garbage printers all which broke in less than 2 cartridge cycles and endless conversations with a guy named Bob in India that I now own a Brother all in 1. I can't wait for Lion to come out so I can use the Windows Migrator to get the rest of my PC info into my new amazing MacBook Pro so I can boot the last bit of PC technology (tongue in cheeck) out of the house. It's a lock that Dell or HP garbage will NEVER cross my threshold again. I only wish Apple produced their own printers. Since my first MacBook that is still going strong we now have iPhones, Apple TV, Time Capsule (been working for 2+ years now), MacBook, MacBook Pro, iPad 1 (no mouse or keyboard haha), iPod mini, shuffle and all of them work synergistically without a hitch.
  • Reply 197 of 232
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pnoble View Post

Andy Lark, a VP at Dell

Said the iPad can't possibly sell

With the cost of it's mouse

More than a house

It can't possibly sell very well

On the other hand look at our Streak

Its so small and impossibly sleek

With it's sales off the chart

Dell is doing it's part

To put Jobs out of a job, so to speak

This just in:*Andy Lark, head of global marketing, announces he is leaving Dell for a career in standup comedy. *"I seem to have a real talent for making people laugh" said Lark.

HaHaHa .... Great limerick .... luv it!

Re: Dell exec comments: This is what happens when a company, or a person for that matter, goes into "panic mode"! Logic flies out the window when your brain is in panic mode ... and when that happens, you make illogical/brainless choices ... with decisions or words. ... and trust me, the whole computer industry is in panic mode now. They are just starting to realize that Apple .... has a plan .... and it is not just "lucky' with it's choices .... and that plan is a great one. And since they don't know what the "plan" is .... they can only take a "guess and wait" approach. Ain't that lovely, now.

I am having such a great time being a "fanboy" nowadays ... just in anticipating what Apple's next move will be. The upcoming announcement of the data centre will be interesting, to be sure. I'm still not convinced it will be for Mobile Me in it's entirety .... the sheer size of the present one and of the possibility of expansion already being considered suggests to me that there is something else in the wind.

I know one thing, if I was a competitor of Apple today .... I would keep my mouth shut until I was "out of the panic mode" ... of course if they did that, all the headlines would read: All Is Quiet On The Western Front.
  • Reply 198 of 232
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

What does one mean when stating that Android is "open"? Seriously, to the end user, why should I care that something is "open"? What will that mean to me? I am never going to make changes to the source, recompile and reinstall my OS. What else does it mean? Are they simply talking about the marketplace? That apps can be sold without any level of validation or testing?

But seriously. I'm not joking. When the Android fans boast about their "open" system, what are they actually boasting about? I'm really not sure.

I think what we tend to forget on these boards is that, for the most part, the average consumer could care less about what "makes their computer tick" .... they just want to enjoy what their device does.

In the same way that "some" people enjoy " tinkering with their car on the weekends" a lot of people who roam the websites about computers, in all likelihood, feel the same way about their computers. The truth is that the vast majority of consumers feel uncomfortable with the workings of their computers and "just want to get things done. The less people have to do "to make it work better" .... the more time they have to enjoy it .... and Apple is for the masses .... as their ever increasing sales would indicate.
  • Reply 199 of 232
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    [QUOTE=AppleInsider;1838619]Executives from rival technology companies Dell and HP spoke out against Apple this week, with a Dell executive predicting that the iPad will fail, while an HP executive criticized Apple's relationships with its partners.

What a bunch of poor losers. Rather than being negative on Apple, they should try to create something unique in the tablet space. Instead they complain because they can't keep up with Apple's pace of development.

Apple does need effective competition in tablets, these losers obviously aren't gong to be that competition.
  • Reply 200 of 232
    alandailalandail Posts: 757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

In the same way that "some" people enjoy " tinkering with their car on the weekends" a lot of people who roam the websites about computers, in all likelihood, feel the same way about their computers. The truth is that the vast majority of consumers feel uncomfortable with the workings of their computers and "just want to get things done. The less people have to do "to make it work better" .... the more time they have to enjoy it .... and Apple is for the masses .... as their ever increasing sales would indicate.

It's not just the masses. I'm a programmer and I really have no interest at all in spending any time getting my technology to work for me. I want things that just work. Especially when I'm away from my computer.