Robbery suspect killed in shootout at San Diego Apple Store

Comments

• Reply 41 of 111
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Douglas Bailey View Post

Glad no-one innocent was hurt.

Maybe the iPad 2s should be sold as soon as they come in the door instead of being held until the next day... \

Wherever people are making money or have something of value idiots want it - for nothing or less. It doesn't matter if you were selling 'em at the loading dock these dicks will rob you there.

To the thieves: you got what you paid for, to all else involved I am glad apparently know one else was hurt. (I guess the Mall cops have gotten tough since last time I was down there. No guns in the day but stuff out that side of town has gone to hell. My father and his family were all from there. I have good memories of San Diego, El Cajon, etc. - sad to hear about this.)
  • Reply 42 of 111
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chuckmoser View Post

Haven't seen much of the world, have you?

I guess you're right. Not counting the billions and billions we pump into welfare programs to raise the masses from poverty (which haven't done a thing), in the end, it's our fault, and these poor saps are just innocent bystanders to their own lives.

I guess if we just passed out a thick stack of hundred dollar bills to every armed assailant paroled, they would reverse their wicked ways and become pillars of the community.

lol. Life really is a Hollywood movie - some people are just born evil. We should find the DNA chain which identifies such people and take pre-emptive action against them.

If you are willing to break out of your black and white thinking, then I will take the time to agree with you about the fact that, yes, we all make choices in life which affect the situation we end up in. However, I'd hope that you would be willing to admit that, in cases such as true mental illness and/or domestic violence, there can be very few options but to end up in prison or dead in a situation like this.

Consider mental illness combined with poverty under the two-tiered health care system that exists in the US (i.e. you get what you can afford). Can't hold down a job due to mental illness, but can't afford to get proper treatment because you don't have a job. I know many people in this situation in the US who are trying to move to other areas of the world so they can get proper treatment for their condition.
  • Reply 43 of 111
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 98RaptorTA View Post

It is comments like this one that scare me. If armed robbers crash into a store or residence with illegal weapons with the intent to take with force with the intent to kill anyone in their way, they need to be met with deadly force. Not only to protect innocent lives from this incident but for future incidents this criminal will commit. I have no pity for those criminal scum when a cop or legal gun owner kills a perp because it is the perp who made the decision on his own to commit the act. The security guard killed him defending his life. Plus, it will save the taxpayers millions of dollars feeding and incarcerating that puke. Unfortunately we will have to do that for his two accomplices.

The only thing criminals understand is violence, and that means bringing that same amount or more violence to rid this earth of this scum. Life is not all rainbows and puppies; there is the need to save lives by taking the lives of the criminals who do not value human life over material possessions. I worked my azz off to be at a position to care for my family and give them what they need, plus the extras. I will have no hesitation at all to blow away any criminal who threatens them. So great job to the security guard! "sucks to be you" to the dead perp.

It's comments like that scare me.
  • Reply 44 of 111
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

lol. Life really is a Hollywood movie - some people are just born evil. We should find the DNA chain which identifies such people and take pre-emptive action against them.

If you are willing to break out of your black and white thinking, then I will take the time to agree with you about the fact that, yes, we all make choices in life which affect the situation we end up in. However, I'd hope that you would be willing to admit that, in cases such as true mental illness and/or domestic violence, there can be very few options but to end up in prison or dead in a situation like this.

Consider mental illness combined with poverty under the two-tiered health care system that exists in the US (i.e. you get what you can afford). Can't hold down a job due to mental illness, but can't afford to get proper treatment because you don't have a job. I know many people in this situation in the US who are trying to move to other areas of the world so they can get proper treatment.

Oh please... get off your milk-carton pedestal will ya? We've heard this song-and-dance before.

If someone is pointing a gun at me, the last thing I'm going to think about before my pulling the trigger first is whether the thug had a hard life growing up, was not loved by his parents, made bad choices, has a mental illness, etc. He wants to kill me and I'll do whatever I can do kill him first.

That's the problem with folks like you. Everyone is supposed to be a happy-go-lucky, love-thy-neighbor, and be completely passive when someone forcibly wants to be the alpha.

I got news for you pal, the real world, just like the nature, is survival of the fittest. You want to live in some ideological world where everyone dances naked in dandelion fields, you go right ahead and find that episode of "Star Trek".
  • Reply 45 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Gold plate that gun and stick it on his wall.

I wonder if he'll at least put a notch in it.

More like he will have to deal with having to take out some idiots who tried to kill him and others - even though he was defending himself and others (and I back him 100%) he now has to deal with this.

I own guns and would fight to keep mine (and your right) to have them. I hope I never use it for more than playing and and shooting at silhouettes at the range cause paper doesn't bleed.

I believe in the right to stand up with authority, and point out that you don't come pull that at my house cause you will get more of the same.
  • Reply 46 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Wow... just wow.

To not include among the symptoms that some people in this world are just really bad people!

That must explain why the crime rate is far higher in poverty-stricken areas than in the aforementioned gated communities...
  • Reply 47 of 111
    I don't mind killing someone threatening a life. If my children were threatened, I will shoot the offender without a doubt. But that's not justice, it"s mere self-defense and its a failure of civilization.

The guard saved his life, great.

But I see nothing to rejoice about taking a life.

Killing criminals neither avenge their victims, nor repair anything. You can torture or execute them : it won't repair their crimes. It just gives a false sense of justice, freeing ourselves of any responsability.

Who produce weapons in obscene quantities ? Who allows extremely easy access to handguns to any would-be criminals ? Who push materialism above all other values, including life ? Our society, our laws.

Maybe those criminals wouldn't have existed at all if our society invested more in education, urbanism, healthcare and whatever help keeping kids in check.

Criminality have always existed but never at the level that plague our "modern societies". Why ? Because we allow it.

We can call for harder punishments for criminals but it won't help victims.

A society producing criminals ready to kill themselves and innocent people just for a bit of circuitry and plastics and quick and esaymoney should rethink its priorities?

Those thinking criminals are beastq without any background, personal lives, friends or family are lying to themselves. You have to endure a lot of bashing from life to put so low value on lifes of others that you are ready to kill them in order to steal ipads. And that is really sad.

What's sadden me even more is people explaining that these criminals are no more than enraged animals deserving to die : you don"t put anymore value in life than them.
  • Reply 48 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Oh please... get off your milk-carton pedestal will ya? We've heard this song-and-dance before.

If someone is pointing a gun at me, the last thing I'm going to think about before my pulling the trigger first is whether the thug had a hard life growing up, was not loved by his parents, made bad choices, has a mental illness, etc. He wants to kill me and I'll do whatever I can do kill him first.

That's the problem with folks like you. Everyone is supposed to be a happy-go-lucky, love-thy-neighbor, and be completely passive when someone forcibly wants to be the alpha.

I got news for you pal, the real world, just like the nature, is survival of the fittest. You want to live in some ideological world where everyone dances naked in dandelion fields, you go right ahead and find that episode of "Star Trek".

Well said. Amen!
  • Reply 49 of 111
    Quote:

No, I'll just live in areas of the world with decent health care systems and controls on who gets armaments. That way I don't have to live life walled up in my gated community, driving around with my doors locked and windows rolled up, experiencing it all though a television screen/computer monitor, and be afraid to attend a live show or have a drink in the wrong part of town because the people there tend to be far more interesting than the ones who live in fear and judgement and who form their opinions in a vacuum.
  • Reply 50 of 111
    k2directork2director Posts: 194member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

no one deserve to die innocent or guilty..

Criminals who try to intimidate or hurt innocent people certainly deserve to die. I'm so glad and *grateful* that this security guard stood his ground, instead of running off and letting the police "handle it".

As for the limp-wrist elsewhere in this thread who tried to blame the crime on "poverty", you're *almost* as bad as the criminals. My mother's family was poor, and she grew up sleeping 3-4 kids to a bed. Everyone was poor around her, and yet they were all able to go to sleep without locking their doors at night. In those days poverty wasn't an excuse for acting like an **animal**. You were expected to conduct yourself with honor no matter what your financial situation. As for my father, he spent most of his childhood years on the dirt floor of a farm, and refugee camps. He didn't have a pot to piss in, but somehow never became a violent criminal. Oh, and he did manage to put himself through an advanced technical education and retired wealthy in California.

There are tons of people in poverty that don't become criminals. Why is that? Why is it that they're able to resist stealing from, intimidating, and harming other people? Also, if criminals are driven by poverty, why the hell do they never stop their criminal activities when they steal and pillage enough to have a plain vanilla middle-class life? Why do they keep pushing for more wealth, better clothes, nicer cars, etc? You never hear of criminals who just aspire to keep a Honda Civic running, and a modest one-bedroom apartment.

Criminality is a cultural issue, not an economic one. Take a look at the lives of the three criminals at the Apple Store, and you will find a lifetime of poor decisions, and a reluctance to work honestly and make the hard and long-term investments necessary for success....all of which is made easier by bozos who constantly make excuses for their actions and try justify a huge sprawling nanny-state that sucks the life out of the honest producers in society:

"Oh, it's poverty, we need to increase welfare and training and education, etc. etc! Oh, it's mental illness, we need to fund more state mental facilities, and social workers! Oh, it's the availability of handguns, we need to strip honest citizens of their ability to defend themselves!"

It's funny how an earlier and poorer America didn't have these massive investments in a nanny-state before, and yet people felt and were in fact safer! The fact is, a nanny-state, for all of the money spent, never manages to convey one simple but key sentiment to its reicipients: "YOU'RE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOURSELF". And so, the benefactors of the nanny-state become less and less responsible, and the nanny-state must grow and grow and grow...

As long as we have such flakes and excuse-makers in the world, we'll have such thugs.
  • Reply 51 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

USA:

5% of World's Population

25% of World's Incarcerated (i.e. in jail at any moment)

The USA has the highest total prison and jail population in the world. Wikip

Definitely not at the top end of safe places to be.

Safest times outside of your bunker: 8 am ~ 8 pm

Yup, cause a lot of places have there trials on the street or out back. Go third world and try this and the holler about your rights. Nuff said.
  • Reply 52 of 111
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    Quote:

I got news for you pal, the real world, just like the nature, is survival of the fittest.

So we're no better than the beasts in the wild. Being human only means that we can talk and reason but have no obligation to use that reason to try and rise above or be better than our base instincts, to take the tough road for moral reasons. Why do we even bother to celebrate leaders such as Ghandi, Budda and Jesus? We're just animals after all.
  • Reply 53 of 111
    Quote:

No, I'll just live in areas of the world with decent health care systems and controls on who gets armaments. That way I don't have to live life walled up in my gated community, driving around with my doors locked and windows rolled up, experiencing it all though a television screen/computer monitor, and be afraid to attend a live show or have a drink in the wrong part of town because the people there tend to be far more interesting than the ones who live in fear and judgement and who form their opinions in a vacuum.

Isn't that border you are trying to live behind your gated community? I know thats what I want mine to be.
  • Reply 54 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

It's comments like that scare me.

Look at it this way: do you want to visit an Apple Store, knowing it's been successfully robbed before, that security didn't care, and that emboldened criminals just might try a during-hours heist next time?

Criminals get the message, and the one in San Diego is DO NOT MESS WITH AN APPLE STORE.

Everyone is safer and benefits in this (except, of course, the criminals).
  • Reply 55 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stephane36 View Post

I don't mind killing someone threatening a life. If my children were threatened, I will shoot the offender without a doubt. But that's not justice, it"s mere self-defense and its a failure of civilization.

The guard saved his life, great.

But I see nothing to rejoice about taking a life.

Killing criminals neither avenge their victims, nor repair anything. You can torture or execute them : it won't repair their crimes. It just gives a false sense of justice, freeing ourselves of any responsability.

Who produce weapons in obscene quantities ? Who allows extremely easy access to handguns to any would-be criminals ? Who push materialism above all other values, including life ? Our society, our laws.

Maybe those criminals wouldn't have existed at all if our society invested more in education, urbanism, healthcare and whatever help keeping kids in check.

Criminality have always existed but never at the level that plague our "modern societies". Why ? Because we allow it.

We can call for harder punishments for criminals but it won't help victims.

A society producing criminals ready to kill themselves and innocent people just for a bit of circuitry and plastics and quick and esaymoney should rethink its priorities…

Those thinking criminals are beastq without any background, personal lives, friends or family are lying to themselves. You have to endure a lot of bashing from life to put so low value on lifes of others that you are ready to kill them in order to steal ipads. And that is really sad.

What's sadden me even more is people explaining that these criminals are no more than enraged animals deserving to die : you don"t put anymore value in life than them.

My friend, that is why I would be far more interested to live in France than in the United States. I'm not sure it it's the education system or conditioning from the environment or what, but the overall outlook of many people in the United States seems to simply be that of fear and reaction (the level of discourse on news programs there makes me sick to my stomach).

I have met a number of very interesting/thoughtful people in New York City and San Francisco, so I try not to generalize, but it's very hard when the majority of what I see/hear is what's being espoused on this discussion forum.
  • Reply 56 of 111
    Quote:

So we're no better than the beasts in the wild. Being human only means that we can talk and reason but have no obligation to use that reason to try and rise above or be better than our base instincts, to take the tough road for moral reasons. Why do we even bother to celebrate leaders such as Ghandi, Budda and Jesus? We're just animals after all.

Sad but true for some people.

Unfortunately not all people believe and celebrate these leaders you praise - these three sure didn't.

BTW: I don't remember any of these people saying do not defend yourself. They preached love and a better way, a more intelligent way - not to take a bullet or not to defend your family. Strive to live better but deal with today while we work on it.
  • Reply 57 of 111
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

That must explain why the crime rate is far higher in poverty-stricken areas than in the aforementioned gated communities...

And why are you stereotyping these three individuals with mental illness without knowing the facts!

They attempted a smash and grab robbery that went down bad. Oh, so now they have to be mentally ill or some other societal ill like poverty?! (so much for the trillions spent on the war on poverty here in the good 'ole USA!) This taxpayer wants a refund!

I wonder what proportion of the criminal population is "mentally ill" versus society screw-ups? You have "declared mentally ill" John Hinkley attempted to murder President Reagan to impress Jodi Foster in 1981. You have Congresswoman Gabby Giffords shot in the head by some twisted, deranged, possibly mentally ill individual in 2011. 30 years between the two... I wonder how many people, innocent or not, robbery, argument, fight, whatever, were shot within that time frame. I'd bet well North of two!

I don't live in a "Gated Community". Never have and never will. My income won't allow it. Doesn't mean my life's been deprived. And I don't do actions that others, <cough>auxio</cough> will excuse if I committed armed robbery, it only means I'm depraved and lacking of character!

/

/

/
  • Reply 58 of 111
    Quote:

The problem with that argument (and I understand where you're coming from, but bear with me) is that morality is highly subjective. What you may consider moral might be horrible to me, and vice versa. People used to consider slavery moral, but today, most people don't. Does that make one side wrong? Not really. I know it may not be the best of examples, but it illustrates something that you probably think is outrageous being thought of as moral.

You can morally believe that bad people deserve to be killed for the sake of the good people, or that bad people shouldn't be killed. And your definition of "good" or "bad" can vary as well.
  • Reply 59 of 111
    Quote:

My friend, that is why I would be far more interested to live in France than in the United States. I'm not sure it it's the education system or conditioning from the environment or what, but the overall outlook of many people in the United States seems to simply be that of fear and reaction (the level of discourse on news programs there makes me sick to my stomach).

In addition, it's interesting that people try to hold up France as a beacon of civility. I remember very recently the streets of Paris burning nightly with riots because the government wanted to give employers the ability to fire non-productive workers.
  • Reply 60 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Isn't that border you are trying to live behind your gated community? I know thats what I want mine to be.

Yes, I guess you got me on that one. However, it's a bit of a jump to compare gated communities with privately-paid security firms created to protect a small group of people from the ills of society with political borders. They'd be more akin to the castles built to protect the aristocracy during medieval times.