Robbery suspect killed in shootout at San Diego Apple Store

Comments

• Reply 81 of 111
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    The security guard wasn't just a regular mall security guard. He was working for Apple.

It's a shame that they had to shut down that store for the whole day. I feel bad for the people who were unable to purchase their iPad2's today.
  • Reply 82 of 111
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Everyone is innocent until proven otherwise.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Douglas Bailey View Post

Glad no-one innocent was hurt.

• Reply 83 of 111
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The security guard wasn't just a regular mall security guard. He was working for Apple.

It's a shame that they had to shut down that store for the whole day. I feel bad for the people who were unable to purchase their iPad2's today.

Oh boy... you're really asking for it, aren't you...
  • Reply 84 of 111
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Or how about food? The reality is over ten percent of the population is unemployed. That is just people receiving unemployment. The people who weren't eligible or benefits expired aren't counted.

The higher the disparity between then haves and have nots, the more this will become a common occurrence. Not justifying armed robbery, however, the underlying social conditions that make it so easy for the rich to get richer and the poor to struggle just to get a job to feed themselves is also a crime.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

I'm thinking you get away with some good Apple stuff, you can get good money......for drugs, Christmas, etc.

• Reply 85 of 111
    robstarrobstar Posts: 5member
    The robber got exactly what he deserved; too bad the guard didn't shoot the other two as well.

This is not a pretty world we live in and those three maggots would have robbed and killed any one of you and your friends and family for the change in your pocket and that nice iPhone in your hand.

THEY made the decision to risk their lives the moment they decided to rob that store. They upped the ante when they put guns in the mix.

It would be a wonderful world if we all got along and there were no criminals to harm us but that isn't the reality.

Until it is, I'm legally carrying a concealed weapon and hope I never need to use it.

Thankfully no law abiding citizens were injured and thankfully that guard had the courage to make sure they didn't.
  • Reply 86 of 111
    s8er01zs8er01z Posts: 144member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Everyone is innocent until proven otherwise.

You're the reason we have people who have been caught murdering others, living in prison, sleeping in a warm bed and eating a hot meal day after day while their victims rot in the ground and their survivors pay to keep the animal who did it alive.

Seriously think about what you just said.
  • Reply 87 of 111
    kellya74ukellya74u Posts: 171member

deleted

• Reply 88 of 111
    granmastakgranmastak Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

no one deserve to die innocent or guilty..

Oh really? An idealist with no life experience whatsoever.

So the abductor of Adam Walsh who tortured and decapitated a 6 year old does not deserve it? What if someone murdered your entire family? They don't deserve death?

You got a lot to learn my friend. I hope it's not the hard way!
  • Reply 89 of 111
    sailorpaulsailorpaul Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

no one deserve to die innocent or guilty..

It wasn't a security guard. Detailed coverage says the robbers drew a gun on a retired sheriff's detective hired by Apple. Instant fail, and yes the bad guy earned that reaction.
  • Reply 90 of 111
    granmastakgranmastak Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

lol. Life really is a Hollywood movie - some people are just born evil. We should find the DNA chain which identifies such people and take pre-emptive action against them.

If you are willing to break out of your black and white thinking, then I will take the time to agree with you about the fact that, yes, we all make choices in life which affect the situation we end up in. However, I'd hope that you would be willing to admit that, in cases such as true mental illness and/or domestic violence, there can be very few options but to end up in prison or dead in a situation like this.

Consider mental illness combined with poverty under the two-tiered health care system that exists in the US (i.e. you get what you can afford). Can't hold down a job due to mental illness, but can't afford to get proper treatment because you don't have a job. I know many people in this situation in the US who are trying to move to other areas of the world so they can get proper treatment for their condition.

Then according to your logic, anyone who grows up poor and has no other options, must end up a criminal with no fault of their own. Nice!

You're insulting so many people who despite their hardships in llife, they choose to do it right.

The right way is rarely the easy way, and you're just making excuses for the scum of this earth.
  • Reply 91 of 111
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Or how about food? The reality is over ten percent of the population is unemployed. That is just people receiving unemployment. The people who weren't eligible or benefits expired aren't counted.

The higher the disparity between then haves and have nots, the more this will become a common occurrence. Not justifying armed robbery, however, the underlying social conditions that make it so easy for the rich to get richer and the poor to struggle just to get a job to feed themselves is also a crime.

Dude, the three robbers fled the scene in an Acura. They had handguns. None of that stuff comes cheap. They weren't starving, they probably ate at McDonald's right before the attempted heist.
  • Reply 92 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

What the hell?! An armed robbery at an Apple store. That's just weird to me.

I bet dollars to donuts that things didn't go the way the robbers expected...

Yeah, those Gizmodo editors will go to any lengths to get their hands on Apple hardware.
  • Reply 93 of 111
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Yup, cause a lot of places have there trials on the street or out back. Go third world and try this and the holler about your rights. Nuff said.

Ummm.... not disagreeing with your larger point, but you're taking refuge in your argument that the US has better 'rights' than the 'third world'?

Man, you need to set your aspirations as an American a bit higher than that.
  • Reply 94 of 111
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

USA:

5% of World's Population

25% of World's Incarcerated (i.e. in jail at any moment)

The USA has the highest total prison and jail population in the world. Wikip

Definitely not at the top end of safe places to be.

Even if your facts are right (I didn't check), they don't support your conclusion. There are plenty of alternative explanations:

- Other countries simply execute criminals on the spot rather than locking them up

- Other countries let a larger portion of the criminals wander the streets

- Things that are illegal here are legal in other countries (marijuana usage, for example)

Picture, for example a magical country where every single criminal was magically transported immediately to jail as soon as the commit a crime and are not released until there is a zero percent chance of them committing another crime. That country would have a higher than normal percentage of people in jail (because ALL criminals would be in jail), but would also be a very safe place to live (for the same reason).
  • Reply 95 of 111
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,815member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

USA:

5% of World's Population

25% of World's Incarcerated (i.e. in jail at any moment)

The USA has the highest total prison and jail population in the world. Wikip

Definitely not at the top end of safe places to be.

Safest times outside of your bunker: 8 am ~ 8 pm

Wow, 25% of World's Incarcerated are here in the USA ... that is a staggering statistic. You are sure?
  • Reply 96 of 111
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

wow... just wow.

When the depth of response to something like this is simply "if someone does this, they need to be met with deadly force", or a joke, you know things are bad. Stay focused on the symptom (crime) and don't bother thinking about the root cause (high levels of poverty, untreated mental illness, all combined with an armed population).

But hey, just keep building gated communities, private security armies, not daring to travel to certain areas of your city for fear of being mugged, murdered, or both, and laughing off the desperation you're surrounded by.

Personally, I can't imagine hell being a much worse place...

It is responses like this, from people like you, that lead to actions and decisions of people like this to commit violent crimes like this one.

You should get down on your knees and thank whatever you pray to that it didn't happen to somebody you give a toot about, and that whoever was willing to risk the precious lives of innocent people to make a few dollars is now dead.

What you should not be doing is making excuses for them, blaming somebody else, something else, or generally pretending to be smarter than everybody else by way of your self-professed "depth" and ability to "really dig down and examine the root of the problem".

Your post is an exercise in cowardice.

Everybody on this world has a choice, and our choices define the content of our character, the way your choice to post this ridiculous message just defined yours.

Until you have looked down the barrel of a gun pointed at you, you do not have any clue what you are talking about, and you should shut your mouth.
  • Reply 97 of 111
    The surviving suspects are a Johnny Chenda (25) and Melissa Ortiz (21).

There's a Johnny Chenda from San Diego on LinkedIn, where he describes himself as an "Independent Wholesale Professional". I'll say!!

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/johnny-chenda/2a/483/3a

For any of you that feel he's just misunderstood or oppressed, you can email him your support directly at the Chula Vista Jail. Or, help him with his $325,000 bail.

http://www.chulavistapd.org/Division...ilListing.aspx
  • Reply 98 of 111
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 863member
    When you indulge in robbery and use a weapon you deserve what you get.

Be it a bank or a supermarket or Apple no store should have to endure being robbed by gun carrying thieves. The security guard acted appropiately in protecting himself and the property he was hired to protect. The security guard had a permit for his gun the robbers did not.
  • Reply 99 of 111
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Has this forum turned into a ultra right wing radical society? Shame on you.

It's certainly good that the robbers have been captured. But laughing about the one that got killed, brings you to the same level as they are. Again, shame on you.
  • Reply 100 of 111
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    LOL at this thread

He did a smash and grab for...health care

We should control guns so only crooked cops and criminals have them. Great!

I'm not going to cheer the killing of one of society's worst elements, but c'mon, this was not a cry for help. This was a gang of crooks in a fucking ACURA threatening people with death unless they got their way. Fuck them! The line to kick these sorry assholes in the nuts/boobs would be longer than any iPhone 5 debut.

/don't have an ACURA, and don't think society should give me one