Steve Wozniak open to returning to Apple if asked

Comments

• Reply 21 of 141
    I would LOVE to see Woz back at Apple. Apple's been getting scary in recent years with all their closed systems and walled gardens. I'm convinced that the end of accessible filesystems is on the long-term roadmap as macs continue to morph into appliances. Woz would make sure there are still computers in there, and realize that users will come up with cool things to do with them that he would never think of, and leave them open and accessible enough to make sure that happens.
  • Reply 22 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

Woz is a great guy, i'd love to see him back at apple.

all those new Apple Stores, there must be a few brooms around...
  • Reply 23 of 141
    What does the 'Chief Scientist' in a storage company do?
  • Reply 24 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Bring back the WOZ!

Get the band back together!

Let me guess: You're over 60.

(Not making a value judgment.... I'll be there in a few years myself...)
  • Reply 25 of 141
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I have been to a Woz speech. He talks way too fast to be a presenter. Super nice guy though. If heaven forbid we lose Steve Jobs, the public will be clamoring for Woz to return. I don't know what he would do at Apple. Perhaps be an "evangelist."
  • Reply 26 of 141
    gtbuzzgtbuzz Posts: 129member
    Woz has been away from Apple for a long time. He was instrumental in developing the first Apple computer and much of its software. He is a genius, but does not have the same personality as Steve. Perhaps that contributed to their original success. As for the past, CEO's of Apple, the Board clearly made a huge Mistake when they hired John Sculley. I like Woz, but I don't think he should return to Apple in a public way. He has loose lips and needs to weigh what he says carefully. Public comments can easily sink a corporation.

Woz has Chief Scientist position at Apple - there may be a better position for him there, but I don't know. It is not something a blog can determine. His thoughts could be valuable, but I am not sure he would be good for them in a public position.

I don't really like Steve Balmer. He should remain at Microsoft - he is good for Apple as long has he remains there.
  • Reply 27 of 141
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

Pete Best always said he'd return to the Beatles if he were asked. I think he's still saying that....

Hahaha... Priceless!!
  • Reply 28 of 141
    What is with the nasty comments about Woz?

1) There would have been no iDevice, mac or anything else without Woz

2) The guy was in plane crash and got injured

3) As for Segway and a few non starters... ah hem, Jobs doesn't always get it right

Show some freakin respect for your tech elders.

Regardless of what meaningful role he was "asked to fill" it would be a soulful move for Apple. I could see him heading up a skunkworks type thing, exploring new frontiers of tech (would need a tight budget cap). Or more practically championing Apple's opened source projects into the broader OpenSource community. Or heading up an Apple philanthropy program with an engineering education focus.

Who would you prefer picked him up, the Google spam machine?
  • Reply 29 of 141
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Woz made great contributions but I just don't see him in any role at Apple other than evangelist.

It is easy to jailbreak an iPhone so he can have all the freedom with his device by that method. It does not serve Apple to be more open than they are. Remember that OSX is based on BSD Unix and iOS on OSX so Apple contributes to the greater community.
  • Reply 30 of 141
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Steve Wozniak is good at what he does HOWEVER definitely not for Apple. His ideas are not visionary from his statements.
  • Reply 31 of 141
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sofabutt View Post

Has he done anything since co-foundling Apple? There's that Segway thing that didn't catch on and never did revolutionize human transport... He did date that female comic. Oh wait, I got it, he carries a lot of gadgets, maybe that's why he should be considered by Apple.

His resume is pretty lackluster...

If I were him, I would want to work for Apple too, since all his other achievements and business ventures have been pretty pathetic.

what does segway have to do with woz? He didn't make segway. As far as I know, his only connection to segway is as a customer.

Woz designed the entire Apple 2 (and Apple 1), wrote the Integer Basic programming language it used, wrote the basic interpreter, wrote some of the apps that shipped with it, created it's floppy disk drive. He wasn't a business man or a marketer, but there would be no Apple without Woz. His designs were brilliant and the reason Apple's hardware dominated their competition.

In fact, his computer almost wasn't enough. The next two computer systems Apple released, the Apple 3 and the Lisa both failed and while Macintosh was ultimately a big success, Apple 2 sales carried apple for a while after Macintosh was released.

Woz made millions at Apple, left when after a plane crash, went back to school to finish his degree and volunteers his time as a school teacher. I'm pretty shocked at the comments here. Woz didn't ask to be CEO, which he clearly isn't qualified for and has no interest in. I'm certain he could offer valuable input into the company he helped create.
  • Reply 32 of 141
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Recognizing that he was a key piece of Apple history, I don't understand what Woz's place would be in the current or future Apple except as a mascot or as some other kind of PR fodder.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Remember that OSX is based on BSD Unix and iOS on OSX so Apple contributes to the greater community.

I don't understand what OS X and iOS being based on BSD Unix has to do with Apple contributing to the greater community.
  • Reply 33 of 141
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    If he could help Apple open their eco-system up a bit it will benefit Apple greatly.
  • Reply 34 of 141
    Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak said in an interview this week that he would consider eating waffles for breakfast if asked.

During an interview in England this week, Wozniak said, "I'd consider it, yeah," when asked whether he would eat waffles for breakfast if asked, Reuters reports.

Seriously though, Woz is like that really annoying uncle everyone has. You love the guy and all, but god damn is he obnoxious!
  • Reply 35 of 141
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

What is with the nasty comments about Woz?

1) There would have been no iDevice, mac or anything else without Woz

2) The guy was in plane crash and got injured

3) As for Segway and a few non starters... ah hem, Jobs doesn't always get it right

Show some freakin respect for your tech elders.

Regardless of what meaningful role he was "asked to fill" it would be a soulful move for Apple. I could see him heading up a skunkworks type thing, exploring new frontiers of tech (would need a tight budget cap). Or more practically championing Apple's opened source projects into the broader OpenSource community. Or heading up an Apple philanthropy program with an engineering education focus.

Who would you prefer picked him up, the Google spam machine?

A few caveats:

I agree some the comments here have been way over the top. He engineered a computer good enough to jump start a revolution.

That revolution was inevitable, just like the development of the automobile was a ultra-logical extension of the engineering and manufacturing infrastructure of the late 1800's and was "invented" independently in a number of locations in Europe and America within 3-4 years of each other. But Jobs was able to leverage Woz's design into a business empire which has literally reshaped not only the technology industry, but (directly and indirectly) aspects of the daily lives of billions. And if the design hadn't been good enough, it never would have happened. Someone else would have achieved "first mover" advantage. So Woz is also part of world history, if a footnote compared to Jobs.

And neither accomplishment will ever come close to being matched by the snipers here.

However, showing respect for elders doesn't mean giving them back the keys to the firearms cabinet they relinquished long ago.

Second, a number of people have associated Woz with the Segway as if (or at least not noting otherwise) he had something to with its invention. When in fact, although the inventor's vision led him to way over-hype how would be received as a retail product for normal folk, it was invented by the technically fantastic Dean Kamen. It borrowed technology from one of earliest "i" monikered devices, Kamen's advanced iBot wheelchair, which "stands up" using gyroscope control to allow the wheel chair bound reach many of the objects they can't with a standard wheelchair.

While Segways have found niche success in targeted applications,TOTAL sales since 2001 (about 50K units) haven't reached the initial sales projected for the first year. Woz is not mentioned in the wikipedia entry for the company. And a search for him on the company's website returns no answers.

So he is likely either lightly compensated or simply just a satisfied user not afraid to fly his nerd flag and the association is simply that he is the most famous person using one which actually helps keep the product in the news. In either case, he is neither responsible for the original product's design or features, nor has he likely in any way materially affected the company's fortunes except as just noted.

Finally, I doubt he needs the money enough to become a "judas goat" for a major Apple competitor. Implying that he would is kind of a snipe in its own right.

His loose lips (i.e., his off the cuff candid comments) have already not sunk, but dinged a few Apple ships. But he's done that gratis over a period of years and from the heart. And has shown he may again at any time, but always with good will towards what he sees as good for Apple.

Ironic fact: "The [Segway] company was sold in early 2010, to a group led by British millionaire Jimi Heselden, chairman of Hesco Bastion, who died in an accident involving a Segway on September 27, 2010." Post-ironic follow-up fact: a pop-over for an initiative called "Segway Safety" comes up during a visit to the site.
  • Reply 36 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carrier Wave View Post

Sad, just sad.

Fully agreed here as well.

People, look at yourselves. I cannot believe the sheer HATE being leveled towards someone so undeserving of it. Steve Ballmer gets better treatment around here.

Anyway suit yourselves. Maybe Sculley or Spindler will come back instead.
  • Reply 37 of 141
    bubba_tbubba_t Posts: 80member
    I think it would be a great PR move. I mean can you imagine at the end of the Keynote at WWDC in 2012? One more thing... Woz walks onto the stage. Now let your imaginations run wild. I have no doubt the place would absolutely erupt with applause.
  • Reply 38 of 141
    granmastakgranmastak Posts: 298member
    He may have some good ideas, he's a very smart guy like the other Steve but with a different approach. Like others said, he probably won't be asked though.

And yes, please show some respect, he's the other Steve of Apple, he's a philanthropist and has received numerous awards! You're only showing stupidity by making disparaging remarks about him
  • Reply 39 of 141
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sofabutt View Post

His resume is pretty lackluster...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woz' Resume

1975-77: Invented the Personal Computer

When you have that, you don't need anything else. Your lack of common sense is hilarious.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

If he could help Apple open their eco-system up a bit it will benefit Apple greatly.

Not in the least, it won't. You want open? Buy from someone else.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Maybe Sculley or Spindler will come back instead.

Most of the people in this thread would actively want either of them back, it seems.
  • Reply 40 of 141
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Fully agreed here as well.

People, look at yourselves. I cannot believe the sheer HATE being leveled towards someone so undeserving of it. Steve Ballmer gets better treatment around here.

What hate?

He's a has-been. If Apple wants to make him a mascot and put his face on the Macintosh box, I wouldn't have any objection to that.

But he has proven that he can't keep his mouth shut. That hurts Apple's business and stock price. And his technical skills were out of date 20 years ago. Heck, look at the way he handled the iPad in the video he did. I'm not sure he's even up to date as a computer USER much less scientist.

Just why should Apple spend a lot of money (and you can be sure it would be a LOT of money) bringing back someone who doesn't have any recent experience that would be of value?

No one's saying that they dislike the guy or that he's bad or anything like that. Simply that he doesn't bring anything of value. Why is that 'hate' in your narrow mind?