Steve Wozniak open to returning to Apple if asked

Comments

• Reply 61 of 141
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You joined the forum just to post this?

Have you ever met Woz?

I met Woz, and Jobs, and Gates, and others as well, way back in the days of the Homebrew Computer club. Jobs was always more serious, Woz was always smiling. They were almost polar opposites.

I don't believe that impressions formed back then are terribly relevant now. The only thing I wish would have happened at a meeting that I attended would have been them actively looking for backers. Even then I thought that it would have been an interesting investment. I never thought that Gates would have made it so big though.
  • Reply 62 of 141
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Especially since Jobs' time at the company may be limited in the future, it would be a great morale booster to bring Woz back to the company in some role. I have believed for some time, based on the new data center and the size of the new Apple campus, that Apple eventually plans to move into markets and/or product lines that we haven't even thought of yet.

Give Woz a role in one of those on in some ancillary product and let him also act as a public booster or evangelist for the company. I agree with the poster who thought that a "just one more thing" featuring Woz would be a great thing for Apple. Or fund him to develop Apple-branded iPad apps for education. Or maybe he's given a role to help develop a very-low cost version of the iPad for use in schools only.

If the only thing Woz ever accomplished was the simple floppy drive controller and color graphics on the Apple II, that would be enough, IMO, to write him into the computer history books.

I think most of the comments in this thread are incredibly nasty and probably written by people who have accomplished nothing of note.

Respect The Elders.

Embrace The New.

Encourage The Impractical and Improbable,

Without Bias.

- David Fricke
  • Reply 63 of 141
    Quote:

Kind of a chicken vs egg thing.

I heard it differently -- according to Woz's younger brother:

There was some early collaboration among Jobs, Woz and John Draper (Cap'n Crunch) on the Blue Box.

Woz built the prototype for the Apple 1 -- and piqued the interest of Jobs.

I don't believe Jobs was looking to "do" a computer -- rather Woz had created one and Jobs saw the potential.

At the time, Jobs did not have the bona fides or finances to interest anyone at Home Brew -- Woz's computer designs gave standing to the Steves' efforts.

What you're saying sounds closer to what I remember.
  • Reply 64 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Especially since Jobs' time at the company may be limited in the future, it would be a great morale booster to bring Woz back to the company in some role. I have believed for some time, based on the new data center and the size of the new Apple campus, that Apple eventually plans to move into markets and/or product lines that we haven't even thought of yet.

Give Woz a role in one of those on in some ancillary product and let him also act as a public booster or evangelist for the company. I agree with the poster who thought that a "just one more thing" featuring Woz would be a great thing for Apple. Or fund him to develop Apple-branded iPad apps for education. Or maybe he's given a role to help develop a very-low cost version of the iPad for use in schools only.

If the only thing Woz ever accomplished was the simple floppy drive controller and color graphics on the Apple II, that would be enough, IMO, to write him into the computer history books.

I think most of the comments in this thread are incredibly nasty and probably written by people who have accomplished nothing of note.

Respect The Elders.

Embrace The New.

Encourage The Impractical and Improbable,

Without Bias.

- David Fricke

Good post -- especially the tag lines.

"Or maybe he's given a role to help develop a very-low cost version of the iPad for use in schools only."

One iPad Per Child.
  • Reply 65 of 141
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bubba_T View Post

I think it would be a great PR move. I mean can you imagine at the end of the Keynote at WWDC in 2012? One more thing... Woz walks onto the stage. Now let your imaginations run wild. I have no doubt the place would absolutely erupt with applause.

One of Woz's greatest virtues is never taking himself too seriously. How about if he dances onto the stage with Karina Smirnoff, his DWTS partner and soon to be featured in a Playboy pictorial. They can repeat the Argentine tango that got them eliminated from the competition. He can be carrying the Next Great Thing, which he proceeds to deposit in the host's (Jobs hopefully) hands. House goes wild - standing ovation - everybody's egos are satisfied - and on with the business at hand.
  • Reply 66 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I met Woz, and Jobs, and Gates, and others as well, way back in the days of the Homebrew Computer club. Jobs was always more serious, Woz was always smiling. They were almost polar opposites.

I don't believe that impressions formed back then are terribly relevant now. The only thing I wish would have happened at a meeting that I attended would have been them actively looking for backers. Even then I thought that it would have been an interesting investment. I never thought that Gates would have made it so big though.

Yeah! The OP joined AI just to post that Woz is obnoxious -- I doubt he ever met him.

In my few encounters with Jobs, he was always serious, no-nonsence, impatient even -- as if wanting to move on to the next thing on his internal agenda.

Woz was funny, self-deprecating, entertaining -- and kind of overwhelmed by his fame/following.

As to investment... I've often wondered...

My first encounter with Apple was in June of 1978 -- they had just opened their Office on Bandly in Cupertino.

The whole scene was a construction area with: new roads; new buildings; landscaping.

Lucy and I went into Bandly 1 on a Saturday to see if I could buy the Red Book for the Apple ][ -- I had pretty much decided to buy one -- but no computer stores were open on Saturday.

Big open room with a counter at one end. Crowded with about 75 people standing, sitting on the floor, taking delivery of product, checkout training...

It was total chaos -- laughter, fun -- but serious too, Electric!

I remember thinking at the time -- I'd like to be a part of this!

I was going to be 39 and had a very good job at IBM -- but this looked like fun!

... Sigh!
  • Reply 67 of 141
    tipttipt Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

A few caveats:

I agree some the comments here have been way over the top. He engineered a computer good enough to jump start a revolution.

That revolution was inevitable, just like the development of the automobile was a ultra-logical extension of the engineering and manufacturing infrastructure of the late 1800's and was "invented" independently in a number of locations in Europe and America within 3-4 years of each other. But Jobs was able to leverage Woz's design into a business empire which has literally reshaped not only the technology industry, but (directly and indirectly) aspects of the daily lives of billions. And if the design hadn't been good enough, it never would have happened. Someone else would have achieved "first mover" advantage. So Woz is also part of world history, if a footnote compared to Jobs.

And neither accomplishment will ever come close to being matched by the snipers here.

However, showing respect for elders doesn't mean giving them back the keys to the firearms cabinet they relinquished long ago.

Second, a number of people have associated Woz with the Segway as if (or at least not noting otherwise) he had something to with its invention. When in fact, although the inventor's vision led him to way over-hype how would be received as a retail product for normal folk, it was invented by the technically fantastic Dean Kamen. It borrowed technology from one of earliest "i" monikered devices, Kamen's advanced iBot wheelchair, which "stands up" using gyroscope control to allow the wheel chair bound reach many of the objects they can't with a standard wheelchair.

While Segways have found niche success in targeted applications,TOTAL sales since 2001 (about 50K units) haven't reached the initial sales projected for the first year. Woz is not mentioned in the wikipedia entry for the company. And a search for him on the company's website returns no answers.

So he is likely either lightly compensated or simply just a satisfied user not afraid to fly his nerd flag and the association is simply that he is the most famous person using one which actually helps keep the product in the news. In either case, he is neither responsible for the original product's design or features, nor has he likely in any way materially affected the company's fortunes except as just noted.

Finally, I doubt he needs the money enough to become a "judas goat" for a major Apple competitor. Implying that he would is kind of a snipe in its own right.

His loose lips (i.e., his off the cuff candid comments) have already not sunk, but dinged a few Apple ships. But he's done that gratis over a period of years and from the heart. And has shown he may again at any time, but always with good will towards what he sees as good for Apple.

Ironic fact: "The [Segway] company was sold in early 2010, to a group led by British millionaire Jimi Heselden, chairman of Hesco Bastion, who died in an accident involving a Segway on September 27, 2010." Post-ironic follow-up fact: a pop-over for an initiative called "Segway Safety" comes up during a visit to the site.

The Segway is great fun. I rode one last summer for the first time and it's really quite awesome. I would buy one if I had the cash.

I think Woz would be good for the company. People love him, he has genius tech skills and his views will help balance out those at Apple. Just because he might have opened his mouth about several things about Apple since he left, he had no actual position at Apple. If he were to take an active role, I'm sure it will be different. He will be a great asset.
  • Reply 68 of 141
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

But he has proven that he can't keep his mouth shut.

His title would be Vice President of Disinformation.

Main duties include leaking false rumors, (although Woz will think they are true) just to keep the competition flummoxed.
  • Reply 69 of 141
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Love ya, Woz. But if they haven't asked you back after all this time, they never will.
  • Reply 70 of 141
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    Again, there would be no Apple without Steve Wozniak. He's the genius who invented the Personal Computer. A one person design that held up for a decade. He talks about open - the Apple ][ was so open that it came with the schematics and ROM listings. Open didn't mean letting other companies build them. Open was about accessibility. Programability. Somehow the programability of computers has been lost. i.e. you shouldn't have to be a software developer to program a computer.

Some want to say technology has passed him by. How do you pass by genius? The only thing that has changed about technology is scale, the logic is still the same. Here's a story about the genius of Steve Wozniak.

Quote:

WOZNIAK: The disk design was my most incredible experience at Apple and the finest job I did. I never really knew what a disk controller was or what it had to do. But at Hewlett-Packard I had looked through a Shugart manual to see what signals were used and what they did. There were signals to make the head step in and out and signals to cause magnetic flux changes. It was similar to audio recording, and I knew about that. It was like a signal on a tape where you write it and then you read it back. So I figured out a simple little circuit to write signals at changing rates and read them back. I didn’t know how disk controllers worked, so I assumed that I was doing something totally different. Maybe it wasn’t as efficient, but at least I cou1d write some data and read it back.

Well, Mike Markkula was annoyed because the cassette tape was too slow. He had a favorite checkbook program, and it took two minutes to read in the program and another two minutes to read in his check files. He was complaining about this at a staff meeting, and I mentioned that I had this clever little five-chip circuit that could read and write a floppy disk. At the time, all the existing floppy-disk controllers were 40 or 50 chips, so I knew there must be something important that I wasn’t doing.

I went off and tried to figure out what it was that I wasn’t doing. One of our technicians had a North Star system, so I looked through their manuals. I read their schematics and figured out what every chip did. And I looked through their listings until I understood exactly what they were doing.

I was doing a lot more. I didn’t even have to look at the sector holes, so I could use any disk drive, any floppy disk in the world. It was then that I knew I had a really clever design.

http://apple2history.org/museum/articles/byte8501/
  • Reply 71 of 141
    Quote:

Yeah! The OP joined AI just to post that Woz is obnoxious -- I doubt he ever met him.

In my few encounters with Jobs, he was always serious, no-nonsence, impatient even -- as if wanting to move on to the next thing on his internal agenda.

Woz was funny, self-deprecating, entertaining -- and kind of overwhelmed by his fame/following.

As to investment... I've often wondered...

My first encounter with Apple was in June of 1978 -- they had just opened their Office on Bandly in Cupertino.

The whole scene was a construction area with: new roads; new buildings; landscaping.

Lucy and I went into Bandly 1 on a Saturday to see if I could buy the Red Book for the Apple ][ -- I had pretty much decided to buy one -- but no computer stores were open on Saturday.

Big open room with a counter at one end. Crowded with about 75 people standing, sitting on the floor, taking delivery of product, checkout training...

It was total chaos -- laughter, fun -- but serious too, Electric!

I remember thinking at the time -- I'd like to be a part of this!

I was going to be 39 and had a very good job at IBM -- but this looked like fun!

... Sigh!

I was in my late twenties, but I was in advertising back then and had money to invest. I just was investing in other places, but mostly the computer industry, which is where I had started to invest when I was thirteen, starting with Digital in 1963. So computer investments was my mantra, as it is today. When graduating High School, my friend, and a brilliant computer guy, wanted to start a company with me, in the late 1960's, early 1970's. I declined, as I couldnt see how someone could start a company considering how big even the smallest companies in the business were then. I was always sorry I didn't. He did well for a number of years, riding on the first wave of micro computers, then sold out for a very large amount before the company was bought by another company his was working with. His company was called Pertec. He had gotten some big backers. I could have owned half. Oh well!
  • Reply 72 of 141
    jdsonicejdsonice Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak said in an interview this week that he would consider returning to an active role at the company he helped start if asked.

During an interview in England this week, Wozniak said, "I'd consider it, yeah," when asked whether he would play a more active role if asked, Reuters reports.

--

Wozniak has been committed to openness since the beginning. In December, Wozniak told reporters that he didn't design the original Apple I to make a lot of money and had given the designs away for free after his former employer HP showed no interest in the computer.

Sure now that Steve Jobs has done all the work fatso wants to come back. Screw him.
  • Reply 73 of 141
    buzzmegabuzzmega Posts: 66member
    I, too, will work for Apple if asked. Otherwise, I will continue being a consultant for other high-tech companies.
  • Reply 74 of 141
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdsonice View Post

Sure now that Steve Jobs has done all the work fatso wants to come back. Screw him.

It's funny because from now on I'll just laugh at absolutely everything you say.

Did I say funny? I meant pathetic.
  • Reply 75 of 141
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

Again, there would be no Apple without Steve Wozniak. He's the genius who invented the Personal Computer.

Aside from the fact that this is a massive exaggeration (there were others developing personal computers at the same time), it's completely irrelevant.

Without Abraham Lincoln, there might not be a United States today. Does that mean we should bring him back from the dead, too?

Wozniak may have been the right person for a startup technology company working in a garage. That has absolutely nothing at all to do with the needs of a multibillion dollar consumer products company.

He could possibly serve as a figurehead - but I can't see a single other thing he brings to the table -other than arrogance and a big mouth. So let them put his picture on the Macintosh box and give him a plaque and a corner office and keep him away from the rest of the company.
  • Reply 76 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I only notice him in the news once or twice a year, and the news doesn't dwell on him very long, I really don't understand how you think he's being so obnoxious.

I'm referring to his sense of humor. The guy thinks it's a funny joke to pull out ceramic knives and disassemble a giant watch that looks like a bomb on airplanes. There's a fine line between funny and obnoxious. IMHO, he crosses that line. Others feel differently. /shrug
  • Reply 77 of 141
    Quote:

You joined the forum just to post this?

Have you ever met Woz?

I had an opinion and had to join to express it. What an odd question. Everyone has a first post.

The guy's a public figure with countless appearances in print and video. Why on earth would anyone need to meet him personally to have an impression of his personality?
  • Reply 78 of 141
    I am wondering...could Fusion-io be of some benefit to Apple because of its work in solid-state storage?

See here:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/10/f...gious-clients/

http://www.dvnation.com/Fusion-IO-IO...ve-Review.html

Steve could oversee some aspect of computer engineering...storage, flash...etc.
  • Reply 79 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipt View Post

I am wondering...could Fusion-io be of some benefit to Apple because of its work in solid-state storage?

See here:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/10/f...gious-clients/

http://www.dvnation.com/Fusion-IO-IO...ve-Review.html

Steve could oversee some aspect of computer engineering...storage, flash...etc.

Sorry to reply to my own comment, but I was just reading a link about Fusio-io technology and I'm not sure what hand Steve Woz had in it, but he is linked with his own game-changing technology outside of Apple.

http://hothardware.com/Articles/Fusi...ss-SSD-Review/
  • Reply 80 of 141
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SleepyCatChris View Post

I had an opinion and had to join to express it. What an odd question. Everyone has a first post.

The guy's a public figure with countless appearances in print and video. Why on earth would anyone need to meet him personally to have an impression of his personality?

So, you let others form your opinions by choosing what to show you and tell you in print or video -- not by any real contact or personal observation and evaluation.

Are you proud of that?