Apple sues Samsung for allegedly copying look and feel of iPhone, iPad

Comments

• Reply 81 of 146
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Top 10 on the patent list is not Top 10 on the Embedded Platform List for Smartphones and Tablets.

Then show me its rankings then.

I'm gonna say that now Apple might have just awaken the sleeping giant when it comes to patents.

Is Apple ready for a counter patent lawsuits of all the electronic technologies that Samsung has in the field of battery, semiconductors, displays and the like?
  • Reply 82 of 146
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbmcavoy View Post

The Apple Newton had a similar layout and predates those...

It's called a "Design Patent". A regular utility patent covers novel functional features. A design patent covers purely aesthetic features, i.e., the "look and feel" of a thing.

While the article doesn't link to the patent in dispute, the artwork shown from the claim looks like it would be from a design patent, and the Samsung phone is nearly a clone.

Samsung Grippad predates the Newton. It was marketed back in 1989. Newton was introduced in 1993.

Whats funny is that Apple is trying to sue for the mear rectangular and "round corners" and touch pad like interface.

This was introduced by Samsung before the iPhone 1st Gen.

All Samsung has to prove is that, they had precedents and patents before the iPhone and the lawsuit is over.

Once that happens, Samsung will most likely counter sue to brand image damages and also go after punitive damages as well.

Have a feeling Apple is going to lose this one again, just like they did with the Nokia and HTC lawsuits.

Perhaps its time to hire a new law firm.
  • Reply 83 of 146
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Why do you think Samsung redesigned the Galaxy Tab 10.1 as soon as the iPad 2 was released?

LOL

IMO, Apple is being smart to be proactive and not let the situation slide. You have to protect the 'crown jewels,' as has been mentioned in this thread.
  • Reply 84 of 146
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    This is all for show. Apple will lose, but people (like the ones here) will go around repeating that Samsung just copies them, and so the misinformation spreads and people buy the iPad over the alleged copy.

If I were Samsung, after I won the case, I'd counter-sue for defamation of character lol.
  • Reply 85 of 146
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    [QUOTE=screamingfist;1849754]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbmcavoy View Post

The Apple Newton had a similar layout and predates those...

Apple changed the game with the Newton. Scully wanted to change the way we thought of computing but the technology just wasn't able to do 'small' yet. it was scully who correctly saw the future a bit before steve jobs did. but this is just standard operating procedure for steve jobs. he has been documented by former employees for hearing an idea from them, poo-pooing or dismissing it, then coming back weeks or more later and saying 'i have this great idea!' and then spewing out the same idea and claiming it as his own. Now THAT is far more disgusting than what samsung is doing.

Are you saying that Jobs stole the idea for the iPhone/iPad from the Newton? Because that's one of the stupider things I've seen on here lately, and that's saying quite a bit.
  • Reply 86 of 146
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

No it wasn't. Good grief! The dates are in your image URLs.
  • Reply 87 of 146
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Gotta protect your copy write I guess.
  • Reply 88 of 146
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    I think the issue here is that the Samsung devices look so much like Apple's that it creates confusion for consumers and that was no accident.

I know my Apple products and I have to look twice. At a glance I can mistake them for an Apple device. They look very, very, similar. Too similar in my opinion.
  • Reply 89 of 146
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

No it wasn't. Good grief! The dates are in your image URLs.

Not to mention those images could not be mistaken for the iPhone by any reasonable person.
  • Reply 90 of 146
    I think almost everyone overlooked the fact that the Samsung similarities to Apple products goes beyond the look. It includes some obvious infringements including the "dock connector" and few other accesory details. Uncanny and blatant infringement.
  • Reply 91 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You don't spend hundreds, if not billions in development for your products, then patent the resulting research only to not defend them. If you don't defend them those patents become null and void.

I learned long ago.....a patent is worth only what you are willing to spend to defend it!

Its much better to have a first movers advantage ....then execute like mad to maintain it.

This approach is much better and less expensive in the long run. This is why patent suites arrive years after the actual infringements.... only after the first mover advantage has diminished (against a major deep-pocketed competitor) is when the lawsuit(s) is actually filed...to produce the max gain/pain and produce max licensing fee awards.
  • Reply 92 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thenewperson View Post

C'mon Apple, less suing, not more!

it's what Asian companies do copy everything from electronics to cars. Apple is right.
  • Reply 93 of 146
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Whats funny is that Apple is trying to sue for the mear rectangular and "round corners" and touch pad like interface.

The Samsung Armani wasn't introduced until September 2007, 3 months after the first iPhone.

That said, I don't think anyone would accuse the Armani of being a copy of the original iPhone as it would have been well and truly in development before the iPhone was released.

Just like the original iPhone isn't seen as a copy of the LG Prada (the first of the "modern" candybar smart phones) even though it was released 5 months later because the iPhone would have been well into production when the Prada was released.

I'm not sure how all of this will help Samsung in this case though.
  • Reply 94 of 146
    I'm living in Korea and I saw this ad from LG play on the TV and the first thing I thought of was: This is exactly like the macbook air commercial two years back. Not Samsung, but I do think Korean companies here are coping some apple products.

I found a youtube video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69Q8LW0SGro

Hopefully this doesn't get sent to your spam because of sending a link.

Ps: here is the macbook air ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UHJvxcC2ks
  • Reply 95 of 146
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Good move by Apple!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thenewperson View Post

C'mon Apple, less suing, not more!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

I normally agree with apple on most of their lawsuits. This one seems a bit general. "copy the look and feel".

The best part is Apple is probably Samsung's biggest customer. Ah, modern capitalism. Just gotta love it.
  • Reply 96 of 146
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yaitsaj View Post

I'm living in Korea and I saw this ad from LG play on the TV and the first thing I thought of was: This is exactly like the macbook air commercial two years back. Not Samsung, but I do think Korean companies here are coping some apple products.

Nah, spammers tend to use some oddly formed broken English and rarely ever contribute when they spam. Welcome to the forum.

I like the LG Xnote ad but it?s certainly not original. Even the song sounds like a poor knock off of a song (maybe Feist) they?ve used before.
  • Reply 97 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Nah, spammers tend to use some oddly formed broken English and rarely ever contribute when they spam. Welcome to the forum.

I like the LG Xnote ad but it?s certainly not original. Even the song sounds like a poor knock off of a song (maybe Feist) they?ve used before.

Yeah, it sure does sound like the same song. Also, you have to remember that most Koreans here have NOT seen that original Macbook air commercial so all of them were just like "woah! LG is awesome!!"

I actually played both commercials to my Korean co-workers and they admitted it was a copy.

Thanks, btw, I've been reading appleinsider for about a year now and just never had anything I wanted to contribute until now.
  • Reply 98 of 146
    BTW, didn't Apple already sue these guys?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/17/m...-with-hdmi-ou/

• Reply 99 of 146
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Talking about copying, WTF is this, Google???

• Reply 100 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yaitsaj View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I like the LG Xnote ad but it’s certainly not original. Even the song sounds like a poor knock off of a song (maybe Feist) they’ve used before.

"Certainly not original"? My goodness it is a DIRECT RIPOFF of the MacBook Air commercials, down to the envelope and the very song itself ~ using the same tune without having to pay to license the song Apple used (the one that goes "I'm a new soul brought up in this strange world la la la").

I had a kind of weird Deja Vu feeling watching the ad, and I imagine it like waking up on Christmas morning, looking forward to my MacBook Air, only to have someone pull out this other thing, and say cheerily, "LG XNote! Yay" and me going "WTF????"