Apple sues Samsung for allegedly copying look and feel of iPhone, iPad

123468

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 146
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yaitsaj View Post


    Yeah, it sure does sound like the same song. Also, you have to remember that most Koreans here have NOT seen that original Macbook air commercial so all of them were just like "woah! LG is awesome!!"



    I actually played both commercials to my Korean co-workers and they admitted it was a copy.



    Thanks, btw, I've been reading appleinsider for about a year now and just never had anything I wanted to contribute until now.



    Good contribution.
  • Reply 102 of 146
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbmcavoy View Post


    The Apple Newton had a similar layout and predates those...



  • Reply 103 of 146
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    So how many AI posters have gone into a shop, intending to buy an iPhone, and walked out with a Samsung Galaxy by mistake?



    Didn't think so, case dismissed.



    I don't think this is a very wise move on Apple's part. How are they going to win, if they win? How many Apple products don't contain Samsung parts? If Apple were to 'win' (lose) Samsung would just raise their prices to Apple, not lower them. Apple might go elsewhere, but they will end up paying more for the parts anyway because Samsung leads the field in manufacturing in so many areas they are either best or cheapest or both.



    Say Apple win. A year or two from now Samsung's mother of all displays, a quantum dot based wunderkind, is ready for mass production. Apple says 'wow, we would love those for our IP6/7, when can you supply, how much?' Samsung just smile and make with the bird.

  • Reply 104 of 146
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yaitsaj View Post


    I'm living in Korea and I saw this ad from LG play on the TV and the first thing I thought of was: This is exactly like the macbook air commercial two years back. Not Samsung, but I do think Korean companies here are coping some apple products.



    I found a youtube video of it:



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69Q8LW0SGro



    Hopefully this doesn't get sent to your spam because of sending a link.



    Ps: here is the macbook air ad.



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UHJvxcC2ks



    Well that's as blatant as it gets... although... heads up to those in the US: Apple is the major trendsetter through out the world in advertising.



    Here in Germany I'd say that fully a third (maybe more) of all advertisements have something "Apple-like" about them.



    The iPod/iTunes "silhouette" style was mimicked and copied so much that you really did have to wait until the end of the commercial to see the logo/product the ad was referring to. Today it's the stark white background, reflections, and "touch-slide" style that has taken over.



    Whether for cars, gadgets, providers, fashion... Apple is THE worldwide trendsetter for cool, luxury, modern items of taste.



    I'm on the fence about whether it should be defended or not, because I personally like the styles Apple comes up with. I'd rather see them, or "visual cues" relating to them, than something creepy like the first Ad-Droid commercials or the Seinfeld/Gates series from MS.



    As a designer myself: 'whatcha' gonna do?



    Eye-catching, pleasing, tasteful and successful trend: Flow with it or *buck it?



    *Insert your personal preferred letter of the alphabet. My take on 'choice' for ya.



    PS: amazing how many letters can be added to the front of "__uck", and still be relevant, huh?
  • Reply 105 of 146
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post


    Well that's as blatant as it gets... although... heads up to those in the US: Apple is the major trendsetter through out the world in advertising.



    Here in Germany I'd say that fully a third (maybe more) of all advertisements have something "Apple-like" about them.



    The iPod/iTunes "silhouette" style was mimicked and copied so much that you really did have to wait until the end of the commercial to see the logo/product the ad was referring to. Today it's the stark white background, reflections, and "touch-slide" style that has taken over.



    Whether for cars, gadgets, providers, fashion... Apple is THE worldwide trendsetter for cool, luxury, modern items of taste.



    I'm on the fence about whether it should be defended or not, because I personally like the styles Apple comes up with. I'd rather see them, or "visual cues" relating to them, than something creepy like the first Ad-Droid commercials or the Seinfeld/Gates series from MS.



    As a designer myself: 'whatcha' gonna do?



    Eye-catching, pleasing, tasteful and successful trend: Flow with it or *buck it?



    *Insert your personal preferred letter of the alphabet. My take on 'choice' for ya.



    There's a difference with being Apple-influenced, which I think is fine, to just copying the ad shot-for-shot verbatim like that darn LG ad! And they just ripped off the music as well!



    I think people can flow with the trend without having to blatantly copy shot-for-shot.



    Ah, but what do I know about the ad and business world, they operate it very counterintuitive ways sometimes. Still, in the Western world at least there is a line in the sand between flattery, homage and outright duplication.
  • Reply 106 of 146
    gescomgescom Posts: 69member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post


    Have a feeling Apple is going to lose this one again, just like they did with the Nokia and HTC lawsuits.



    Perhaps its time to hire a new law firm.



    LOL. Come quick big dick.

    This clearly shows that Apple is afraid of Samsung . Nothing else. Pussies.
  • Reply 107 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post


    I think almost everyone overlooked the fact that the Samsung similarities to Apple products goes beyond the look. It includes some obvious infringements including the "dock connector" and few other accesory details. Uncanny and blatant infringement.



    So, you want the dock connector at the top of the phone or what?



    or replacing the display?
  • Reply 108 of 146
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stupidhero View Post


    So, you want the dock connector at the top of the phone or what?



    or replacing the display?



    Nobody is talking about the position of the connector stupid....hero!



    http://www.netbooknews.com/wp-conten...le-adapter.jpg

    http://thefuturearchive.files.wordpr...ng?w=597&h=407
  • Reply 109 of 146
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post


    Yes, very general.

    Look particularly at:

    The overall shape

    The radius of the edges

    The basic proportions and curves

    The overal color

    The design of speaker opening

    the number size and placement of icons

    The colors use in the interface.

    Heck, look at how the product is displayed on a reflective white seamless background.



    If that isn't enough, this one detail is worthy of notice:

    Look at the placement of the phone icon (lower left corner.)

    And while you're there, notice the color and design of that icon.



    But of course this is just a general similarity.



    I predict Samsung will be making some major changes.











    It's just blatant copying. if there was every a good patent case, it's this one.
  • Reply 110 of 146
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post


    So how many AI posters have gone into a shop, intending to buy an iPhone, and walked out with a Samsung Galaxy by mistake?



    Didn't think so, case dismissed.



    I don't think this is a very wise move on Apple's part. How are they going to win, if they win? How many Apple products don't contain Samsung parts? If Apple were to 'win' (lose) Samsung would just raise their prices to Apple, not lower them. Apple might go elsewhere, but they will end up paying more for the parts anyway because Samsung leads the field in manufacturing in so many areas they are either best or cheapest or both.



    Say Apple win. A year or two from now Samsung's mother of all displays, a quantum dot based wunderkind, is ready for mass production. Apple says 'wow, we would love those for our IP6/7, when can you supply, how much?' Samsung just smile and make with the bird.



    Samsung isn't going to flip Apple the bird. They aren't going to jeopardize 5.7 billion dollars in revenue just because they are pissed about a patent lawsuit. They are a business. Apple makes them tons of money. Apple moves Samsung products better than Samsung can. Samsung is in no position to jeopardize that. They will do business with who ever has the bucks to pay them.
  • Reply 111 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seankill View Post


    I normally agree with apple on most of their lawsuits. This one seems a bit general. "copy the look and feel".



    Funny thing is it's sort of a fine line. If you criticise your competitor for being clunky & then sue them for copying your interface what does that say? Just saying.
  • Reply 112 of 146
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,095member
    As most others have noted, Sammy may have crossed a line with a couple of their designs. Pretty darn similar. But I still don't see why the the little Tab is included in the suit. There's no confusion there IMO.
  • Reply 113 of 146
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post


    Samsung isn't going to flip Apple the bird. They aren't going to jeopardize 5.7 billion dollars in revenue just because they are pissed about a patent lawsuit. They are a business. Apple makes them tons of money. Apple moves Samsung products better than Samsung can. Samsung is in no position to jeopardize that. They will do business with who ever has the bucks to pay them.



    Bollocks. You might also argue that Apple wouldn't jeopardise relations with their single biggest supplier because shitting in your own nest is never a good idea- er wait...



    By your reasoning, you would expect to be able to walk into a shop you frequent regularly, punch the owner in the face and then expect him to continue to sell stuff to you at a good price and act as if nothing had happened, just because you were a good customer.
  • Reply 114 of 146
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Apple has no case. Apparently, Apple's lawyers forgot about this.



  • Reply 115 of 146
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post


    No it wasn't. Good grief! The dates are in your image URLs.





    That is when the images were posted. *shakes head*
  • Reply 116 of 146
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I am not so sure. Samsung's response today seems to make mention of it being a supplier of Apple components.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post


    Not likely, Samsung is a conglomerate. These are all different divisions run by different people.



  • Reply 117 of 146
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    If you can't see the difference between the after Apple iPhone was released pictures and the before pictures it really isn't worth discussing with you. Samsung's GUI was radically changed after the iPhone.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post


    Apple has no case. Apparently, Apple's lawyers forgot about this.







  • Reply 118 of 146
    [QUOTE=addabox;1849797]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post






    Are you saying that Jobs stole the idea for the iPhone/iPad from the Newton? Because that's one of the stupider things I've seen on here lately, and that's saying quite a bit.



    yes i am saying that.

    but don't twist what few neurons you have into a tiny bunch. we all know you have special needs and you should focus on those and let the grownups talk.
  • Reply 119 of 146
    Mac fags will be Mac fags no matter what Apple does.
  • Reply 120 of 146
    P.S. Since when can you patent the look of a device?

    P.P.S. Who cares anyway.
Sign In or Register to comment.