Apple sues Samsung for allegedly copying look and feel of iPhone, iPad

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has filed a new patent lawsuit against rival Samsung, accusing the company of copying the look and feel of the iPhone and iPad for its own Galaxy-branded smartphone and tablet products.

The suit, first reported by The Wall Street Journal, claims the South Korean electronics company copied Apple's mobile devices with products like the Galaxy S, Nexus S and Epic 4G smartphone, as well as the Galaxy Tab touchscreen tablet.

Apple has accused Samsung of violating patents it owns related to the design and creation of the iPhone and iPad. Last September, APC observed that Samsung's Galaxy Tab accessories were so similar to the iPad that the site said, "we can feel an Apple lawsuit coming on."

"Rather than innovate and develop its own technology and a unique Samsung style for its smart phone products and computer tablets, Samsung chose to copy Apple's technology, user interface and innovative style in these infringing products," the complaint reads.

The growing rivalry between Samsung and Apple is complex, because Apple is also the largest customer of Samsung, with a reported $7.8 billion in purchases planned for 2011. Samsung builds the custom chips used by Apple in devices like the iPhone and iPad, and also supplies flash memory and liquid crystal displays.

Apple's latest legal action is similar to a suit filed over a year ago against HTC. In that complaint, Apple accused HTC of infringing on 20 iPhone-related patents, and cited Google Android-powered handsets including the Nexus One.

"We can sit by and watch competitors steal our patented inventions, or we can do something about it. We've decided to do something about it," Apple co-founder Steve Jobs said in a statement that accompanied the HTC lawsuit. "We think competition is healthy, but competitors should create their own original technology, not steal ours."

Apple is also engaged in a high-profile legal battle with another major rival, Nokia. Apple has sued Nokia, and is also being sued in an ongoing patent infringement suit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 146
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Good move by Apple!
  • Reply 2 of 146
    C'mon Apple, less suing, not more!
  • Reply 3 of 146
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    I normally agree with apple on most of their lawsuits. This one seems a bit general. "copy the look and feel".
  • Reply 4 of 146
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member
    I'm sure the lawsuit is not as simple as that.

And I'm sure this lawsuit is just another negotiating piece on the chessboard.
  • Reply 5 of 146
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    I wonder if it is more a tactical lawsuit by Apple to get better terms... "$7.8 billion in purchases planned for 2011"

I bet you it's be less for more in 2012! Plus first dibs on "flash memory and liquid crystal displays."
  • Reply 6 of 146
    roboduderobodude Posts: 273member
    I'm with Apple if only for the fact Samsung aped the shit out of the iOS with both 'Touch Wiz' and the Galaxy Tab interface. Samsung went Shanzhai -- I can appreciate the good work being done by HTC. You don't have to be derivative to succeed in this market.
  • Reply 7 of 146
    bsimpsenbsimpsen Posts: 398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

I normally agree with apple on most of their lawsuits. This one seems a bit general. "copy the look and feel".

As Apple has filed a patent infringement suit, that means Apple has a patent. That Apple has a patent means the patent office did not think the "look and feel" in question to be too general.

That said, I'm sure this argument will be brought up by Samsung's counsel.
  • Reply 8 of 146
    macsharkmacshark Posts: 229member
    My prediction: Samsung gives Apple an extra 1% discount on components and the lawsuit goes away...
  • Reply 9 of 146
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thenewperson View Post

C'mon Apple, less suing, not more!

You don't patent your designs only to sit back and let the world illegal use them. Sorry, but your company deserves it's investment be protected.
  • Reply 10 of 146
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    I totally understand how the galaxy s is a total rip off of the 3GS and the galaxy tab interface looks kind of like the iPad because of the touchwiz software....

But Nexus S? Are you joking? Different material, completely different look apart from having a touch screen, no 'home' physical button, it doesn't even have touchwiz on it so the software looks totally different.

Including the Nexus S just shows that this is a bargaining move on apples part.

I wish technology companies would stop using law suits as a business plan. They could spend this money so much better in other ways....
  • Reply 12 of 146
    Hahaha! Get yer own Jonathan Ive!

No, but seriously, Samsung has an incredible case of iPhone, iPad design envy. Right down to the shiny metallic bezel around the touch screen. At least the Acer Iconia touchscreen laptop and Microsoft Courier concept were unique.
  • Reply 13 of 146
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    I wonder what Samsung's response will be? They must have a tonne of mobile telephony patents.
  • Reply 14 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

Exactly how many smartphones (or just phones for that matter) had the look and feel of the iPhone prior to the iPhone being released?

I'm with Apple on this one and I'm surprised it took as long as it did for them to make this move against a company.
  • Reply 15 of 146
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I wonder what Samsung's response will be? They must have a tonne of mobile telephony patents.

They do.

Samsung #2 on the Top 10 patent holders for 2010.

Apple isn't on the list.

http://247wallst.com/2011/01/10/the-...s-by-company/#
  • Reply 16 of 146
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,296member
    Is this a proxy battle over Android or are they really suing about the "look and feel" of Samsung products (regardless of OS)?

Also, I wonder if Apple is trying to force Samsung to choose between being a supplier to Apple and selling their own tablets/phones. If forced to choose, I bet Samsung would give up being a supplier to Apple. They might make more money supplying Apple today, but I'm sure they fancy themselves as something more than that.
  • Reply 17 of 146
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

My prediction: Samsung gives Apple an extra 1% discount on components and the lawsuit goes away...

More like the lawsuit ends with Samsung being found at fault but rather than a cash payout they are allowed to pay via discount.

Like it or not, Apple was granted a look and feel patent and several sites have noted that Samsung has copied that look and feel to make their goods. Whereas Microsoft did a totally different look. I personally think a hella ugly one but at least it is original.

As for the claims that Samsung will drop Apple as a customer. Doubtful. First all there are likely contracts in place and they would be sued again for breach. Second, Samsung knows where their real money lies. And that is in parts
  • Reply 18 of 146
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post

Exactly how many smartphones (or just phones for that matter) had the look and feel of the iPhone prior to the iPhone being released?

I'm with Apple on this one and I'm surprised it took as long as it did for them to make this move against a company.

Agree totally. imho Samsung more than any other company deliberately apes Apple hardware designs.
  • Reply 19 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You don't patent your designs only to sit back and let the world illegal use them. Sorry, but your company deserves it's investment be protected.

You have no idea just how warped, convoluted, and backward the US patent system has become, do you? Patents aren't about protecting real innovation anymore. They're about accumulating as many broad, nebulous, and slightly differing patents as you possibly can for the SOLE purpose of suing someone for it. Patents now exist to screw everyone else over, not to protect your own work. If you invent something, you'd better have a horde of lawyers to write a hundred patents a day or someone else might come along and write a ton of patents that will box yours in and essentially make it impossible for you to produce and sell yours without getting sued because they just covered every slight derivative (prior art requires you to have essentially the EXACT same implementation. Slight differentiations will make prior art useless), every possible alternate use, and every method of manufacturing it. If ever you manage to make it big in the world of computers, then you will have to deal with a bunch of patent trolls crawling out of the woodwork with some ludicrously broad and obvious patent trying to take what you have rightfully earned.

When companies exist for the sole purpose of acquiring patents and suing with them then you know the patent system is completely broken. Patent troll companies contribute NOTHING whatsoever to society. They only exist to steal from others.

Apple is just as guilty of patent abuse as everyone else in the industry.
  • Reply 20 of 146
    It's a funny lawsuit. I don't care if it's legit or not, it's just funny.

In the end, all these lawsuits show how much the system needs to be changed.