China iPad 2 frenzy causes Apple Store scuffle in Beijing

Comments

• Reply 21 of 129
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

Volkswagen was founded by the Nazis, but that's probably consumerism surviving Naziism by accident.

So NASA because it employed a former Nazi ( : using your flawed reasoning )!

: Wernher von Braun was a Nazi.
  • Reply 22 of 129
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

you don't get it, leave it.

: No, i am curious.
  • Reply 23 of 129
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

We tested Museum glass in the studio. Like everything else, the brighter the light in front of the monitor = the greater the reflection; the brighter the light shining directly onto the monitor the greater the glare.

Dimming the lights and placing them properly = no reflection or glare on either matte or glossy screens.

But very problematic, is the inherent yellow tint in Museum Glass, and you don't have to be a professional photographer, illustrator or graphic designer to realize how distracting that could be.

thanks for that, no one has explained it that well to me.
  • Reply 24 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdlink View Post

Anybody who claims to remember the '70s obviously didn't live through them. Or was that the '60s? I forget.

it was the nineties and the eighties too. lol!
  • Reply 25 of 129
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Chinese are uncivilized "third world" people?

China is becoming a Nazi consumer state?

*sigh*

This thread never stood a chance.
  • Reply 26 of 129
    magicjmagicj Posts: 406member
    * Sends thread to gas chamber *
  • Reply 27 of 129
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingKuei View Post

I was sickened by some of the stuff I saw in Shanghai when I was spending time there a year ago.

Like what?
  • Reply 28 of 129
    doctor daviddoctor david Posts: 820member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I can believe it!

When I was waiting at a NYC Apple store in line one morning there was some sort of altercation between some Chinese scalpers and Russian scalpers. Unfortunately, it didn't come to blows, so nobody was ejected from the line. That obviously would have been the most preferable and desirable outcome, as it would have meant that everybody else would have moved up a few places in line.

Apple products are real popular, so the product launches are bound to attract seedy people, criminals and other sorts of scum.

Yes, obviously violence is the preferable and desirable option.

The combined popularity and scarcity of apple products may indeed elicit something less than our better nature.
  • Reply 29 of 129
    madhatter61madhatter61 Posts: 116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

It's the first time I've seen consumerism posited as a precursor to Naziism too.

why do you post this kind of crap ... it benefits no one.
  • Reply 30 of 129
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by madhatter61 View Post

why do you post this kind of crap ... it benefits no one.

Considering the comments to which poke is referring your comment is curious.
  • Reply 31 of 129
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

the descent of china into consumerist hell has begun, let's all in the west hope that in ten years time they won't be the new hitlers of the world.

As opposed to our politicians giving gas to saddam hussein to use on iranians in a war they encouraged that killed a million people - but he did sell us some oil.
  • Reply 32 of 129
    kenlileskenliles Posts: 28member
    Is there a moderator in the house?
  • Reply 33 of 129
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,959member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

I didn't do a search first but volkwagon wasnt founded by the nazis. I think it was that hitler asked/ordered(?) Ferdinand Porsche to make a car for the average person. Volks (people's) wagon(car).

As I recall...

Not that it matters, but the Volkswagen also appeared as the Kübelwagen, the "jeep" of the Wehrmacht.
  • Reply 34 of 129
    doctor daviddoctor david Posts: 820member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Not that it matters, but the Volkswagen also appeared as the Kübelwagen, the "jeep" of the Wehrmacht.

There was also the schwimmwagon. The largest production of amphibious cars ever.
  • Reply 35 of 129
    mac'em xmac'em x Posts: 109member
    Let's step away from the needless political comments, and discuss something more important: Was awesome wire action part of the "scuffle"?

"Everybody was kung fu fighting..."
  • Reply 36 of 129
    pit5000pit5000 Posts: 19member
    Scalpers make me sick..

I'm Chinese so I happen to know a whole lot about these folks..

Their culture puts "money worship" above all else; public safety, health, dignity, respect, rule of law..., nobody really cares about any of that, making money is all that seems to matter.

In my time in China, most the people i came across have absolutely no pride in the jobs they work, they just do it for the sake of the money.
  • Reply 37 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

As opposed to our politicians giving gas to saddam hussein to use on iranians in a war they encouraged that killed a million people - but he did sell us some oil.

as opposed to nothing.
  • Reply 38 of 129
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    No sympathy for scalpers.
  • Reply 39 of 129
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

I didn't do a search first but volkwagon wasnt founded by the nazis. I think it was that hitler asked/ordered(?) Ferdinand Porsche to make a car for the average person. Volks (people's) wagon(car).

As I recall...

Correct. Anyone who thinks Professor Porsche got his start by the Nazis and not because he was developing his own cars is an idiot.

He was ordered to develop a ``People's car'' and the writing was on the wall--do as you are ordered or we'll destroy you.
  • Reply 40 of 129
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pit5000 View Post

Scalpers make me sick..

I'm Chinese so I happen to know a whole lot about these folks..

Their culture puts "money worship" above all else; public safety, health, dignity, respect, rule of law..., nobody really cares about any of that, making money is all that seems to matter.

In my time in China, most the people i came across have absolutely no pride in the jobs they work, they just do it for the sake of the money.

Desperation can have that effect on people... Some will do it for the money and not care, some will do it for free and care, some will do it for money and care, some will do it for free and not care... There's your matrix.