China iPad 2 frenzy causes Apple Store scuffle in Beijing

Comments

• Reply 101 of 129
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    If this is true this is quite disturbing that it was an Apple Store employee that initiated the violence, and a foreigner as well. I guess things aren't always as clear cut as we'd like.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chudq View Post

I did some research on the issue. There were a huge crowd there on iPad 2 release day. Most people were in line for long hours. Only a few people(scalpers) behaviour badly, including a Western. It looks like that fight was cause by this Western. He wears Apple uniform. He came out to smash some customers and then went back. There are some Westerns in China who think they are superior than Chinese people and they tread Chinese really rude. I have seen such kind of cases in Beijing and Shanghai. They should learn to be civilized!

Here are some reports in Chinese. I found this report from sina web site (IT section): http://tech.sina.com.cn/it/2011-05-07/19085493568.shtml and this video post with a title of "Foreigner beating Chinese and Security guards not allowing people taking photos. http://video.sina.com.cn/v/b/51851850-1214341274.html. There are many posts and comments there about the event. Some say those scalpers deserve the beat, most are fiercely about foreigner's behaviour, and some are very angry about Apple's management about the release. Many people are asking for explanation from police and Apple. This may lead exploded events.

In addition to that, a lots of twitter posts on sina weibo (Chinese version of twitter) on this issue as well. It is unclear who is to blame. So I think comments here are unfair if they don't know the truth, just based on media news about China (most are negative).

• Reply 102 of 129
    tontontonton Posts: 14,067
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by popeyelin View Post

I'm surprised that a lot of people here are arrogant and ignorant.

I only need to point out one thing. In the past 3000 years, China was always the leader of world in 2800 years. Don't be surprised if the old king comes back. West is just leading 200 years. What's more, Europe has lost the leadership and US is losing it.

Modern representative Democracy with checks and balances is just over two hundred years old...

You do the math.

You, as a Chinese patriot (I assume) would like to see China back on top? Cool. Embrace Democracy and freedom and get rid of the CCP!

The fact that you have to use "Chinese Twitter", "Chinese YouTube", "Chinese eBay" and have no access to Facebook, Google search and maps, the new York Times (I certainly have access to People's Daily and the Beijing Times, thank you) speaks volumes about your freedom.

Then again, I bet you anything you use a proxy. What a patriot!
  • Reply 103 of 129
    futuristicfuturistic Posts: 599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pit5000 View Post

Scalpers make me sick..

I'm Chinese so I happen to know a whole lot about these folks..

Their culture puts "money worship" above all else; public safety, health, dignity, respect, rule of law..., nobody really cares about any of that, making money is all that seems to matter.

In my time in China, most the people i came across have absolutely no pride in the jobs they work, they just do it for the sake of the money.

You also describe India perfectly. People in India, for the most part, work only to make money, not to do something meaningful. There are exceptions, of course, but in general, this is the reality here.

Indians worship Bollywood stars, and acquiesce to the whims of corrupt politicians, but have no sense of inherent pride. Sigh.
  • Reply 104 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Very true. Mickey Mouse.

Agreed. Peter Griffin.
  • Reply 105 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Embrace Democracy and freedom...

"Freedom" is simply being content with the restrictions imposed on you.
  • Reply 106 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

Heil!
  • Reply 107 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

True, that! I much prefer having the freedom to live somewhere where the populace don't have handguns to having the freedom to own a gun, for instance.

I also prefer having the freedom from molestation at the airport.

I also prefer having the freedom to choose government sponsored health care.

But no one can make a serious attempt at compariong freedoms in PRC to those in any fully developed nation. No one.
  • Reply 108 of 129
    daylove22daylove22 Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Chinese are uncivilized "third world" people?

China is becoming a Nazi consumer state?

*sigh*

This thread never stood a chance.

But We, that we are first world take their money allowing our rich nation to live beyond our means..why don't you all check how many trillions We owe them before criticizing them..or better look at number of crimes committed in our "civilized nation" compare to them..scary number..
  • Reply 109 of 129
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

But We, that we are first world take their money allowing our rich nation to live beyond our means..why don't you all check how many trillions We owe them before criticizing them..or better look at number of crimes committed in our "civilized nation" compare to them..scary number..

Are you inferring that Solipsism is saying that the "Chinese are uncivilized "third world" people and that China is becoming a Nazi consumer state?"

If so, you misinterpreted Solipsim's comment. If not, I misunderstood your retort.

Actually, I don't get what you are trying to say either way.
  • Reply 110 of 129
    Quote:

True, that! I much prefer having the freedom to live somewhere where the populace don't have handguns to having the freedom to own a gun, for instance.

I also prefer having the freedom from molestation at the airport.

I also prefer having the freedom to choose government sponsored health care.

But no one can make a serious attempt at compariong freedoms in PRC to those in any fully developed nation. No one.

Agree on all points.
  • Reply 111 of 129
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    Another incident to embellish & exploit for anti-Apple FUD but to quote the title of a pro wrestling opus, "Controversy Creates Cash". Next thing you know, somebody will claim that the the Apple employee beat somebody for trying to sell Xooms to the waiting customers.
  • Reply 112 of 129
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    So now this is about defining Freedom?

Well, herein, freedom is defined as being allowed to expound on topics that one does not understand, such as ... freedom.

Heh, heh ....
  • Reply 113 of 129
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

That's because they refuse to use security gates when they close, you know, because it ruins the aesthetics of the store.

Adding to that is Naperville itself, which aspires to upscale suburban gentility. Foldaway gates or roll-down shutters would be considered déclassé. Betcha they now have 24-hour hi def video surveillance of the entire street area in front of the store. Hitting Apple a third time would be pushing their luck.
  • Reply 114 of 129
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Those of us who have been out to the more remote and rural provinces indeed do know of the disparity between these poor regions and the larger cities on the eastern seaboard.

well i hope all things go well for you and your home land

peace

• Reply 115 of 129
    anakin1992anakin1992 Posts: 283member
    Quote:

Modern representative Democracy with checks and balances is just over two hundred years old...

You do the math.

You, as a Chinese patriot (I assume) would like to see China back on top? Cool. Embrace Democracy and freedom and get rid of the CCP!

The fact that you have to use "Chinese Twitter", "Chinese YouTube", "Chinese eBay" and have no access to Facebook, Google search and maps, the new York Times (I certainly have access to People's Daily and the Beijing Times, thank you) speaks volumes about your freedom.

i am not convinced that democracy can bring a country to an economical power. at least i have not yet seen on case.

there are facebook/google alternatives, so why do chinese need them? i visited nyt without any issues when i was in china last month. to me it seems that only chinese version websites would be affected.
  • Reply 116 of 129
    svesan03svesan03 Posts: 61member
    So I'm assuming the entire settlement went like this...

Give me an iPad and we're done here!

O.K.... here you go

Thanks and don't expect me to pay for the window!
  • Reply 117 of 129
    peter236peter236 Posts: 254member
    Quote:

You do the math.

Hey just broaden your horizon. There are other websites all over the world, not only American.

Why would the Chinese need to use twitter, when sina.com's Weibo has more functionalities?

Chinese people just prefer Baidu.com over google, yahoo or bing just because Baidu offers better search results for them.

They use youku.com and tudou.com over youtube.com.

Ebay is just another auction website, and there are a large number of Chinese auction and retail websites, like Alibaba.com and Taobao.com.

Chinese users are free from US website hegemony.
  • Reply 118 of 129
    aiaaia Posts: 181member
    Another account of the events:

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/as...ght/index.html

And it looks like the "attack" has been resolved:

http://agendabeijing.com/sanlitunapplestorefight/

The Apple Store employee will compensate the victim 20000 RMB (just over $3000 USD).
  • Reply 119 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIA View Post

Another account of the events:

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/as...ght/index.html

And it looks like the "attack" has been resolved:

http://agendabeijing.com/sanlitunapplestorefight/

The Apple Store employee will compensate the victim 20000 RMB (just over $3000 USD).

Right. Violence "resolved" by a cash payout. *slow clap*

Will there be any ramifications for this Apple employee or just a slap on the wrist?

I guess it goes back to "who started it"... much like figuring out a playground fight.
  • Reply 120 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Hey just broaden your horizon. There are other websites all over the world, not only American.

Why would the Chinese need to use twitter, when sina.com's Weibo has more functionalities?

Chinese people just prefer Baidu.com over google, yahoo or bing just because Baidu offers better search results for them.

They use youku.com and tudou.com over youtube.com.

Ebay is just another auction website, and there are a large number of Chinese auction and retail websites, like Alibaba.com and Taobao.com.

Chinese users are free from US website hegemony.

The difference is -- and this is the point -- that users in the US can use all of those Chinese websites. Users in China can NOT use certain websites all around the world, and it's not because e Chinese versions are better, whether or not that's the case. It's because the CCP does not want to give you access to information that may show that there are freedoms that you do not have in China. They don't want you to know who Ai Bei Bei is and why he was arrested. So they block international social networking sites and news sites. That type of government will eventually collapse, either through revolution or through economic failure. Unless PRC allows freedom of information and freedom of speech at minimum, it's not a question of whether it willnfail, it's a question of how soon.