China iPad 2 frenzy causes Apple Store scuffle in Beijing

Comments

• Reply 81 of 129
    chudqchudq Posts: 43member
    I did some research on the issue. There were a huge crowd there on iPad 2 release day. Most people were in line for long hours. Only a few people(scalpers) behaviour badly, including a Western. It looks like that fight was cause by this Western. He wears Apple uniform. He came out to smash some customers and then went back. There are some Westerns in China who think they are superior than Chinese people and they tread Chinese really rude. I have seen such kind of cases in Beijing and Shanghai. They should learn to be civilized!

Here are some reports in Chinese. I found this report from sina web site (IT section): http://tech.sina.com.cn/it/2011-05-07/19085493568.shtml and this video post with a title of "Foreigner beating Chinese and Security guards not allowing people taking photos. http://video.sina.com.cn/v/b/51851850-1214341274.html. There are many posts and comments there about the event. Some say those scalpers deserve the beat, most are fiercely about foreigner's behaviour, and some are very angry about Apple's management about the release. Many people are asking for explanation from police and Apple. This may lead exploded events.

In addition to that, a lots of twitter posts on sina weibo (Chinese version of twitter) on this issue as well. It is unclear who is to blame. So I think comments here are unfair if they don't know the truth, just based on media news about China (most are negative).
  • Reply 82 of 129
    chudqchudq Posts: 43member
    up to the current time, there are 75,82 post comments to the sina report, and 42,495 plays for the video with 68 comments. Four people injured, two males and two females.
  • Reply 83 of 129
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chudq View Post

up to the current time, there are 75,82 post comments to the sina report, and 42,495 plays for the video with 68 comments. Four people injured, two males and two females.

The incident is the fault of all involved and really not that serious. Undoubtedly, Apple will assess the matter and take the precautions in the future to prevent such trouble.
  • Reply 84 of 129
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chudq View Post

I did some research on the issue. There were a huge crowd there on iPad 2 release day. Most people were in line for long hours. Only a few people(scalpers) behaviour badly, including a Western. It looks like that fight was cause by this Western. He wears Apple uniform. He came out to smash some customers and then went back. There are some Westerns in China who think they are superior than Chinese people and they tread Chinese really rude. I have seen such kind of cases in Beijing and Shanghai. They should learn to be civilized!

Here are some reports in Chinese. I found this report from sina web site (IT section): http://tech.sina.com.cn/it/2011-05-07/19085493568.shtml and this video post with a title of "Foreigner beating Chinese and Security guards not allowing people taking photos. http://video.sina.com.cn/v/b/51851850-1214341274.html. There are many posts and comments there about the event. Some say those scalpers deserve the beat, most are fiercely about foreigner's behaviour, and some are very angry about Apple's management about the release. Many people are asking for explanation from police and Apple. This may lead exploded events.

In addition to that, a lots of twitter posts on sina weibo (Chinese version of twitter) on this issue as well. It is unclear who is to blame. So I think comments here are unfair if they don't know the truth, just based on media news about China (most are negative).

Not even gonna touch this one.
  • Reply 85 of 129
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by niji View Post

i have said it for the past 2 years.

apple does not adequately manage a supply chain that includes china, yet

this is not the first time violence has flared at apple stores in china. in both beijing and shanghai apple stores have had to close for a day or two before in order to get control of crowds.

is this the chinese fault? no. apple doesnt have the resources in china who have been smart enough to put in place ways to manage launches. i place the blame squarely on apple for not handling these events better. each time a new product launches in china, during the past 12 months, additional security is in place. but it is poorly done and not coordinated with local police.

but this time there is definitely strange reporting coming out of the events at sanlitun:

1/ the stories say that an apple employee, foreign, came out and violently struck these people with a stick. obviously this did not take place yet apple is officially silent on exactly what did take place

2/ the photos of the "injured" show unusually similar looking bruises

i think all this means an organised group orchestrated the event to embarrass apple. obviously not apple at fault for that.

but china has an underside that works outside of laws and apple doesnt have the people operating on the ground in china to manage the result of that. for this apple is at fault. orchestrated events that are made to embarrass apple is one thing, but it can clearly escalate to innocent people getting hurt.

if apple cant manage including china in its supply chain better, then apple needs to focus on other markets first, in which brand potential can be grown.

suggestions for apple:

1/ delay product launches in china until adequate stocks are available

2/ no more launches of products at stores

3/ launches only handled through the web stores

4/ 1 item per order

5/ five or six months after web store launch, after the world-wide supply chain is coming into balance, allow sales at physical stores in china

no one gets hurt.

apple wont be playing into hands of organised crime.

orderliness is restored.

apple gets no bad publicity.

apple grows brand by getting product into hands of people just the same.

store launches at apple have become media events. apple needs to take responsibility for events that happen at them.

and get some people in china who know what they are doing.

1) What is adequate stock for a retail store?

2) Why don?t you defend your stance that Apple shouldn?t leverage there retail stores and 3rd-party retailers for selling their products? Note: Even Amazon, which is only online, sells out of product.

3) Are you ignoring Chian for 5 to 6 months because you dislike the Chinese people or just the country as a whole? Why should Apple treat the Chinese as 2nd rate customers?

4) People get hurt because people act like people. I suppose you can blame Apple for making too compelling a product but that?s pretty fucking stupid. People cut the line, others didn?t care for the injustice of that. Disolving any potential interest in the iPad doesn?t fix people.
  • Reply 86 of 129
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I suppose you can blame Apple for making too compelling a product but that?s pretty fucking stupid.

LOL! Couldn't agree more.

10 year old boys have trouble not cutting in line. Some people never grow up. I don't think Apple should be changing their retail strategy over something like this.
  • Reply 87 of 129
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    When Apple started taking online orders for the iPad 2 at 1am PST on March 11, it was a riot. People faced off against each other trying to get their order in before the next 10,000 people. Digital violence ensued. Avatars were injured. People typed lewd obscenities. Foreigners were blamed. Scalpers posted iPad 2's for sale on eBay. Angels wept. It was civilization reduced to its baser instincts.
  • Reply 88 of 129
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    over post
  • Reply 89 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GotWake View Post

In other news, 3 people were seriously hurt at a recent Playbook launch. It happened when several people lined up thinking that they would be buying iPad 2s. When they realized what was going on, a scuffle broke out. One customer said that everyone tried to leave at the same time.

no no that was a zune accessory line

i think

• Reply 90 of 129
    Quote:

1) What is adequate stock for a retail store?

2) Why don’t you defend your stance that Apple shouldn’t leverage there retail stores and 3rd-party retailers for selling their products? Note: Even Amazon, which is only online, sells out of product.

3) Are you ignoring Chian for 5 to 6 months because you dislike the Chinese people or just the country as a whole? Why should Apple treat the Chinese as 2nd rate customers?

4) People get hurt because people act like people. I suppose you can blame Apple for making too compelling a product but that’s pretty fucking stupid. People cut the line, others didn’t care for the injustice of that. Disolving any potential interest in the iPad doesn’t fix people.

Agreed

WE will be swimming in ipad 3D models and all this ipad2 stuff will be forgotten .

peace my friend

• Reply 91 of 129
    Sadly some people here know nothing of the incredible hardships the masses of the red chinese people suffer day after day decade after decade .

• Reply 92 of 129
    doctor daviddoctor david Posts: 820member
    "the line separating good and evil passes not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either?but right through every human heart??

Alexander Solzhenitsyn, Russian dissident
  • Reply 93 of 129
    magicjmagicj Posts: 406member
    Pol Pot.
  • Reply 94 of 129
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

"the line separating good and evil passes not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either?but right through every human heart??

Alexander Solzhenitsyn, Russian dissident

Great quote? though that last name looks like a cat walked across your keyboard.
  • Reply 95 of 129
    doctor daviddoctor david Posts: 820member
    Quote:

Great quote? thought that last name looks like a cat walked across your keyboard.

It looked normal to me.

Regards,

David Lixtrgopde

• Reply 96 of 129
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

… thought that last name looks like a cat walked across your keyboard.

You're surely being abstruse rather than obtuse, right?!
  • Reply 97 of 129
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

So they're big fans of Ayn Rand, I take it

Why? Because they are all on strike from innovation with John Galt?
  • Reply 98 of 129
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Memo to Steve: Make less desirable products. Your store in downtown Naperville, Illinois, was hit by overnight smash-and-grabs - twice.

That's because they refuse to use security gates when they close, you know, because it ruins the aesthetics of the store.
  • Reply 99 of 129
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Sadly some people here know nothing of the incredible hardships the masses of the red chinese people suffer day after day decade after decade .

Those of us who have been out to the more remote and rural provinces indeed do know of the disparity between these poor regions and the larger cities on the eastern seaboard.
  • Reply 100 of 129
    popeyelinpopeyelin Posts: 16member
    I'm surprised that a lot of people here are arrogant and ignorant.

I only need to point out one thing. In the past 3000 years, China was always the leader of world in 2800 years. Don't be surprised if the old king comes back. West is just leading 200 years. What's more, Europe has lost the leadership and US is losing it.