Google sets sights on enterprise, education with subscription 'Chromebooks'

Comments

• Reply 261 of 372
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

DIck,

Because I fear you might fall victim to the FUD jargosta is spreading do this simple test.

1) Run Chrome. The browser, not the OS.

2) Go to the Chrome Web Store.
    3) Install and load Angry Birds. Should be premiered on the front page

4) Turn off your access to the internet.

5) Play Angry Birds.

I did that!

1) Angry Birds would not run even while connected to the Internet -- light blue SOD -- AB music playing.

2) After reconnecting to internet (Turn Airport back on) could do nothing with Chrome browser

3) had to quit then start Chrome to get back to Working Chrome

4) Chrome usurped my "default browser" setting without asking -- totally unacceptable

5) If you start Chrome browser without web connection -- you can't do anything -- "page not available"

I removed Chrome form the system!

Interestingly enough I can access Google Docs better with Safari (which was also open) and was able to restart Safari Google Docs with a simple Safari Page reload after the Airport connection was restored.

Sorry, totally unimpressed!
  • Reply 262 of 372
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I did that!

1) Angry Birds would not run -- light blue SOD -- AB music playing.

2) After reconnecting internet (Turn Airport back on) could do nothing with Chrome browser

3) had to quit then start Chrome to get back to Working Chrome

4) Chrome usurped my "default browser" setting without asking

5) If you start Chrome browser without web connection -- you can't do anything -- page not aavailable

I removed Chrome form the system!

Interestingly enough I can access Google Docs better with Safari (which was also open) and was able to restart Safari Google Docs with a simple Safari Page reload after the Airport connection was restored.

Sorry, totally unimpressed!

You couldn?t get Chrome browser to work or figure out how to not make it your default browser even though it asks you launch it for the first time?

Of course you?re not impressed and can?t do anything when you are trying to install an app without a web connection. That is not what my instructions stated.

You?re obviously doing something wrong, but I?m sure you don?t want to hear that I?m sure I don?t want to delve into it any longer. This thread is close as far as I?m concerned but the bet is still on.
  • Reply 263 of 372
    Quote:

You couldn?t get Chrome browser to work or figure out how to not make it your default browser even though it asks you launch it for the first time?

Of course you?re not impressed and can?t do anything when you are trying to install an app without a web connection. That is not what my instructions stated.

You?re obviously doing something wrong, but I?m sure you don?t want to hear that I?m sure I don?t want to delve into it any longer. This thread is close as far as I?m concerned but the bet is still on.

I did exactly what you said -- in the exact order you stated.

Read what I posted -- I installed AB and tried to run it before turning Airport off.

It failed -- I did nothing between the install and run.

This was the first install on this Mac -- Chrome did not ask me if it could be the default browser -- it just did it!
  • Reply 264 of 372
    Quote:

... but the bet is still on.

Yes my call < 300,000 ChromeBooks (any variety) sold by Dec 31, 2011.

Yours -- 4-5 million.

I'll be closer...

Close only counts in Horseshoes, Handgrenades and Dancing!
  • Reply 265 of 372
    Quote:

Yes my call < 300,000 ChromeBooks (any variety) sold by Dec 31, 2011.

Yours -- 4-5 million.

I'll be closer...

Close only counts in Horseshoes, Handgrenades and Dancing!

The mean of 300k and 4M is 1.85M.

Don?t forget ?encounters of the 3rd kind."
  • Reply 266 of 372
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:

Sol...

This is getting tedious.

With all due respect, you keep changing the the discussion.

Simple question:

Where is the current version of the file you are working on:

1) In the cloud

2) on your ChromeBook

3) on an external USB Drive

Pick one!

That's what you have to be connected to to get your work done.

When you load a program it's loaded locally on your device. Periodically it will sync back to the cloud (your actual "hard copy") If the network goes down, the app will NOT crash if it's coded for offline usage. instead, you'll be able to continue working on it (though some advanced functions may be limited)

When connection is restored, the application will see that the local copy (on your computer) is more up to date than the hard copy, so it will save the changes.

I really don't get why this is such a unknown concept.
  • Reply 267 of 372
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

When you load a program it's loaded locally on your device. Periodically it will sync back to the cloud (your actual "hard copy") If the network goes down, the app will NOT crash if it's coded for offline usage. instead, you'll be able to continue working on it (though some advanced functions may be limited)

When connection is restored, the application will see that the local copy (on your computer) is more up to date than the hard copy, so it will save the changes.

Except I just tried that -- and it doesn't work!

You describe how it is supposed to be -- but it doesn't deliver the goods.
  • Reply 268 of 372
    Quote:

Except I just tried that -- and it doesn't work!

You describe how it is supposed to be -- but it doesn't deliver the goods.

Because you're using CHROME BROWSER NOT CHROMEOS. They are based off of the same basic code, but the Chrome Browser is STILL written with OSx in mind.

On top of that, I already told you that the Chrome browser on OSX wasn't as smooth as it is on Linux/Windows.

And it's not as smooth on ANY of those platforms like it would be if it was the OS itself.
  • Reply 269 of 372
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:

Damn... the network's down again... Let's take a break!

That is true is many offices already. The local native applications we run are heavily dependent on the network.

Really the argument the network might go down is a bit like saying we shouldn't use computers at all because the power might go down. The network has become an essential service.
  • Reply 270 of 372
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:

Is this what you expect it eventually will do, or what it actually does?

I was thinking Google would eventually merge parts of Android and ChromeOS.

For example the smart syncing framework for Google Music (where popular or selected items are cached locally and everything else is downloaded when needed) would work well with other files and fit in well with ChromeOS, and it would basically put Google in line with what Microsoft and I preume Apple will be doing over the next couple of years.

The next step would be to make the entire Google application suite (gmail, calendar, contacts, docs, photos etc) work offline.
  • Reply 271 of 372
    Quote:

Because you're using CHROME BROWSER NOT CHROMEOS. They are based off of the same basic code, but the Chrome Browser is STILL written with OSx in mind.

On top of that, I already told you that the Chrome browser on OSX wasn't as smooth as it is on Linux/Windows.

And it's not as smooth on ANY of those platforms like it would be if it was the OS itself.

It works just fine in the latest version of Chrome browser for Mac OS. That is what I used. I can do screenshots to prove it.

I?ve been DLing and testing about a dozen apps from their store. They?re all working great in the browser. It?s taking browser extensions to a whole? ?notha? leva...
  • Reply 272 of 372
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

For example the smart syncing framework for Google Music (where popular or selected items are cached locally and everything else is downloaded when needed) would work well with other files and fit in well with ChromeOS, and it would basically put Google in line with what Microsoft and I preume Apple will be doing over the next couple of years.

The next step would be to make the entire Google application suite (gmail, calendar, contacts, docs, photos etc) work offline.

I don?t see what parts of Android and Chrome can merge. It?s not like OS X being used for Mac OS and iOS, and iOS for iPhone/Touch and iOS for iPad having so many familiar and interchangeable components. Android and Chrome are very different. I?m not even sure how similar the Linux kernels with what I?ve read about Chrome OS? design for security and performance at the lowest levels.
  • Reply 273 of 372
    Quote:

The google application suite should be offline capable by the time the devices are commercially available. They said it would be this summer anyway.
  • Reply 274 of 372
    Quote:

Where have you run Chrome OS?

If you haven't actually run it -- you are just parroting the manufaturer's claim on how it will (may) work... Someday!
  • Reply 275 of 372
    Quote:

Where have you run Chrome OS?

If you haven't actually run it -- you are just parroting the manufaturer's claim on how it will (may) work... Someday!

I run the browser on both linux and Windows. It works fine (including offline apps) on both of them. The mac I have is a few years old and It's really just a computer for my dad to use at this point, so I haven't tried it on there. since ChromeOS is everything the browser is, without the shit Windows ads, and the added code to make it an OS, I will have to assume that it works find for ChromeOS as well. I am still tracking down a version of ChromeOS that will work with VirtualBox.

@Sol I'm glad it's working better now. Last time I used it on a Mac it was a lot slower than on my PC.
  • Reply 276 of 372
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:

The offline support is part of html5. It has nothing to do with ChromeOS and should work with Safari and on the iPad/iPhone.
  • Reply 277 of 372
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Assuming Apple comes out with "iCloud" then sure. Otherwise, not really.

Er...Dropbox?

Quote:

The big elephant in the room though is Chrome's "Login anywhere" ability though. A company could literally keep 20 of these in their office, you come in the morning, grab one (any one) and log in, and all your information is right at your fingertips for you. This is potentially HUGE for schools.

I can do that with any enterprise that uses terminal servers...and anything that stores data in a file share. It's not a big elephant unless you presume a specific use case tailored for that capability.

Quote:

My school has "Laptop labs" where the prof would bring in a big filing cabinet full of laptops for students to work on. We had to buy our own flash drives, and there were more than a few projects I lost because I forgot to save it before I shut the computer down. Now, a student could get ANY of those laptops, log in, and all their information would be at their fingertips, and automatically synced with their account every few seconds so information wouldn't be lost.

Which you can easily do on Windows with a network and shared drives...

Quote:

Since a lot of schools use Gapps for email already, it wouldn't be that hard to expand their portals to make a document sharing site.

You have to document this. Define "a lot of schools". This is a recurring theme in your assertions which essentially states that MS Office is not important. That hasn't been my experience.
  • Reply 278 of 372
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Cheaper though? Not once you toss in that keyboard dock for the iPad. Samsung is selling a Chromebook for $429. Though, I'd still argue that these things have to get cheaper. But I don't think $429 is a bad starting price for what's essentially a light laptop. They are coming with 11 and 12 inch screens, not the shrunken screens and keyboards of most netbooks.

This was the price of the old 12" Lenovo IdeaPad...and I could run all PC apps with that.

Quote:

That's on top of the cost of the laptop and all the support to administer those laptops. But again, you don't have to lease. You can buy the laptops and just run off Google Apps for a lot less than $6 per user.

Google Apps for business is $50/year per user vs $72 per year.

Quote:

And institutions will ultimately have to work out whether the cost of maintaining those servers and managing those laptops is worthwhile when it can all be outsourced to Google.

Well, it's a tad more secure and they need them for their other enterprise services anyway. Or are you making the claim that Google Apps replaces MS' entire enterprise product line?

Quote:

There's a huge chunk of the world, where not every student can bring a laptop to school.

Show me that this huge chunk has high speed access to Google servers and it might be more compelling an argument.
  • Reply 279 of 372
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

That is true is many offices already. The local native applications we run are heavily dependent on the network.

Really the argument the network might go down is a bit like saying we shouldn't use computers at all because the power might go down. The network has become an essential service.

Good luck with that @ 30,000 ft...
  • Reply 280 of 372
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

Er...Dropbox?

And dropbox is great, and it's V1.0 of the cloud syncing concept (when it comes to modern devices). I should also mention that Dropbox is a Pain in the ass to work with on iOS compared to the other system's I've used, especially if you want it to do two way syncing (so something you're working on is synced back to the cloud, automatically, every time you're saving)

Quote:

I can do that with any enterprise that uses terminal servers...and anything that stores data in a file share. It's not a big elephant unless you presume a specific use case tailored for that capability.

So you can pick up ANY device running your OS of choice, log into it and have access to all your information without configuring it?

Quote:

Which you can easily do on Windows with a network and shared drives...

Not the same thing. I won't bother explaining it because that's what we've been doing for multiple pages already.

Quote:

You have to document this. Define "a lot of schools". This is a recurring theme in your assertions which essentially states that MS Office is not important. That hasn't been my experience.

I said a lot of schools already use Gapps, which is ALSO a custom version of the Gmail client (what most schools are typically using). I said since most schools already use this, it wouldn't be hard to create a document portal (start using Gdocs). Since they're not doing that right now, they're obviously using something else (often Blackboard). And MS office isn't important past the fact that it's a document service. You don't NEED MS office to submit paperwork, you just need a program that can save in .doc format.

As for a lot of schools. I know doing research is hard, especially when I've ALREADY linked to the schools in this thread already.

They don't give a specific number of schools (though it is in the thousands) that use it, but they do say that over 10 million students use Google Apps.

http://www.google.com/a/help/intl/en/edu/index.html

Here is the link for google Apps for business as well: (which gives the number of over three million) http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/business/index.html