More evidence suggests Apple has plans for 10th anniversary of retail

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    sippincidersippincider Posts: 410member
    Apple may be planning something that coincides with the tenth anniversary, but I very highly doubt Apple is planning to specifically recognize the anniversary.

After the 20th anniversary of the Macintosh passed without fanfare, it became pretty clear that Steve doesn't hold occasions for such things.
  • Reply 22 of 92
    jeffstrjeffstr Posts: 1member
    HumancentiPad!

Will this be US only or UK as well?
  • Reply 23 of 92
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ibgarrett View Post

Let's connect the dots shall we?

MobileMe services have been experiencing problems today.

iCloud is somewhere on the horizon.

No new rumors of hardware anywhere in the channel or otherwise.

A major event is brewing in Apple Retail....

Something tells me it is likely to be the iCloud...

But will people flock to the Apple Stores for the reveal of a new cloud service? Unless there is going to be a live web cast (on the new 50"plasmas someone mentioned?) Personally I think it will be something more than iCloud. Maybe they are handing out free iCloud CD's. Or maybe a simultaneous live concert in every Apple store to bring in the new cloud based iTunes.
  • Reply 24 of 92
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member
    They will be serving cake.

For those who are still alive.
  • Reply 25 of 92
    iTele = 50" wall-mounted iMac

iMiniPro = Half a MacPro

iCloud = cloud based sync and storage

iRain = Apple's solution to drought in Texas

iDrain = Apple's solution to flooding in Mississippi

iWish = Apple's solution for peace in the Middle East

iPhone 4.5 = interim upgrade

iThunderclap = Thunderbolt to USB converter box

iAppStoreTunes = a store in an app in a store in an app

iChatPro = Apple's solution to too much time

iISSSupply = Apple's solution to the retirement of the space shuttle

iOneMoreThing = (you're going to have to wait!)
  • Reply 26 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

But will people flock to the Apple Stores for the reveal of a new cloud service? Unless there is going to be a live web cast (on the new 50"plasmas someone mentioned?) Personally I think it will be something more than iCloud. Maybe they are handing out free iCloud CD's. Or maybe a simultaneous live concert in every Apple store to bring in the new cloud based iTunes.

1) The TV idea still makes no sense. Apple can?t even sell a great many AppleTV?s that cost $99 and hook up to any number of TVs, so selling a 50? HDTV that takes up a lot of room and has a small profit margin compared to their other offerings makes no sense.

2) The data center going live makes the most sense since it?s a throughput service. Starting on a Sunday will lower the hit to their servers and let the pundits create a wall of Apple-related news on the new services for Monday. All the stores would be doing are putting up new window dressings and getting trained, but Apple?s main page would also reflect this and have the most detailed and thorough info, like with videos of the service in action, which is likely much better than a host event of Jobs paling with it on a couch.

I?m going all in for the data center going fully operational. After all, the MobileMe has been off the shelves at Apple Stores since February, we?ve heard that Apple has both finished the DC and have secured lincses with their iTS partners, and both Google and Amazon haves already weighed in with their half-assed services. It?s seems to me this isn?t something that should be released along iOS 5 and/or at WWDC.
  • Reply 27 of 92
    I'm hoping for the 52nd generation iPod Classic, or will it be branded iPod Geriatric!

I don't care though, I want a proper iPod!
  • Reply 28 of 92
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    If they have to lock their phones away in an office that means it's something physical so they can't sneak pictures.
  • Reply 29 of 92
    tmarks11tmarks11 Posts: 9member
    Just icloud going active wouldn't require employees to work extra shifts 20-22 May.

This has to be new hardware, not just an update. They just upgraded imac, without any big splash or extra work shifts.

New console game to compete against ps3 and xbox? That would be huge, although it would be hard to believe that they could keep it such a complete secret, since they wold have to involve game developers so they could introduce it on day 1 with dozens of popular games... Not just iOS kind of games.

Another version of iMac with a touch screen? Apple is slipping behind, hp and lenovo and dell all have touch screen AIO. Still can't believe that would generatethat much foot traffic, and they would have released a touch screen model at the same time as the recent refresh of the refresh.
  • Reply 30 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

If they have to lock their phones away in an office that means it's something physical so they can't sneak pictures.

Promotional posters and training guides are physical. Even a computer screen with instructions can be photographed.
  • Reply 31 of 92
    omoomo Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

iCloud and other online enhancements/services for tech unveiling and web traffic/buzz.

In-store offers or discounts, etc to drive store traffic. Imagine how many people would flock to the stores to save 10% on anything. 10th Anniversary of brick and mortar stores. 10% off at brick and mortar stores only. One day or one week only. Would be lots of positive image/PR and they could pretty well calculate their costs because there is a finite amount of product you can move during a limited time.

And they don't need to release any new hardware to create the web buzz or foot traffic and sales.

Best of both worlds.

Then they'll again get plenty of attention when they release new hardware in the coming months.
  • Reply 32 of 92
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Apple Stores will finally have public restrooms. It'll be those public stalls you see in downtown London or San Francisco, except these will be the type where the glass is transparent, but then goes opaque when the door is locked.

Would be much funnier if the glass were opaque, until the user locked the door.
  • Reply 33 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OMO View Post

iCloud and other online enhancements/services for tech unveiling and web traffic/buzz.

In-store offers or discounts, etc to drive store traffic. Imagine how many people would flock to the stores to save 10% on anything. 10th Anniversary of brick and mortar stores. 10% off at brick and mortar stores only. One day or one week only. Would be lots of positive image/PR and they could pretty well calculate their costs because there is a finite amount of product you can move during a limited time.

And they don't need to release any new hardware to create the web buzz or foot traffic and sales.

Best of both worlds.

Then they'll again get plenty of attention when they release new hardware in the coming months.

I think that makes sense even though it?s getting harder for me to imagine Apple selling .Mac/MobileMe-like boxes to customers. However, if they do plan on selling iCloud services through 3rd-parties, like Amazon, they will need a physical product with a redeem code.

PS: Would they leverage iCloud as a download in Mac App Store to help promote it or an update via Software Update the way they did with .Mac to MobileMe?
  • Reply 34 of 92
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

No, an actual TV with atv inside.

Not a matter of if, but when.

Hey, a quote from the forums from 2004. How's that going for you?

There's no sense in Apple making their own TV.
  • Reply 35 of 92
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) The TV idea still makes no sense. Apple can?t even sell a great many AppleTV?s that cost $99 and hook up to any number of TVs, so selling a 50? HDTV that takes up a lot of room and has a small profit margin compared to their other offerings makes no sense.

2) The data center going live makes the most sense since it?s a throughput service. Starting on a Sunday will lower the hit to their servers and let the pundits create a wall of Apple-related news on the new services for Monday. All the stores would be doing are putting up new window dressings and getting trained, but Apple?s main page would also reflect this and have the most detailed and thorough info, like with videos of the service in action, which is likely much better than a host event of Jobs paling with it on a couch.

I?m going all in for the data center going fully operational. After all, the MobileMe has been off the shelves at Apple Stores since February, we?ve heard that Apple has both finished the DC and have secured lincses with their iTS partners, and both Google and Amazon haves already weighed in with their half-assed services. It?s seems to me this isn?t something that should be released along iOS 5 and/or at WWDC.

I am definitely leaning your way. Specially when it comes to the Apple TV (as in 50"). I think there will be something else in terms of creating an event out of both the anniversary and the launch of icloud. Ten years, ten days, ten %, os x all have much potential for a very unusual applesque event contextualisation. If iTunes is hitting the clouds I would also imagine something special to mark that event. Hey! this is all beginning to sound more like a festival than a launch. The only thing that makes me wary is the prospect of back bone melt down. Will apple risk such a big bang event?
  • Reply 37 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eric781 View Post

They will be releasing the Playmobil Apple Store Playset

that is too cool.
  • Reply 38 of 92
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    They will be locking the staff in to rehearse this routine!
  • Reply 39 of 92
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Phones could also be used to actually *call somebody* to tell them about a new service. Old-fashioned thinking i know...
  • Reply 40 of 92
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I hope it's not just that iCloud stuff, because that sounds boring. If it's only for music, then that sucks. Apple should do something useful with their huge facility in North Carolina and release something to compete with things like dropbox.

Maybe Apple will release a limited edition hardware something. They've done it in the past, so why not now for the 10th retail anniversary.