More evidence suggests Apple has plans for 10th anniversary of retail

Comments

• Reply 41 of 92
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

new macPro's ditching xeon for sandy bridge.

that's my guess.

Xeon is a family name, Sandy Bridge is an architecture. They aren't two separate entities. There are Sandy Bridge based Xeons, and the Mac Pro will likely get it soon, as has always been the case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_B...ver_processors
  • Reply 42 of 92
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GavinScrimgeour View Post

I'm hoping for the 52nd generation iPod Classic, or will it be branded iPod Geriatric!

I don't care though, I want a proper iPod!

52'nd?

I'd be excited for a surprise iPod Classic refresh on that date, although I don't think its that likely to be what it is given the commotion over that date, its just not a product that would garner that much first day excitement.
  • Reply 43 of 92
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Are retail stores open on Sunday in the US? Does this mean that the stores might not be open Sunday morning?

Also I wonder how this is going to play out for Canadians as the 23rd is a holiday.

That's right. It is quinney's birthday.
  • Reply 44 of 92
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unkown Blogger View Post

It would be funny if Apple delivered the iPhone 5 while everyone else said they were delayed until September.

This of course won't happen...but I would absolutely love it if it did.
  • Reply 45 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CraigAppleW View Post

I agree. But 50 inch Apple TVs might be later this year or in 2012. My bet is

#1 iCloud

#2 Apple TVs

With a 10 year anniversary, hell, you could see both.

I don't think a better ATV will require intensive training...unless...it now has apps? Mmmm, that makes me happy to think about.
  • Reply 46 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

I don't think a better ATV will require intensive training...unless...it now has apps? Mmmm, that makes me happy to think about.

But you?ll need an SDK and demos for both the devs and consumers to get behind the idea of apps on a TV done right. There is no way this could be introduced on a Sunday.
  • Reply 47 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

This of course won't happen...but I would absolutely love it if it did.

On second thought, if they do just come out with an iPhone 4s, then this is a possibility. But I still think we will be waiting until September...unfortunately. Too bad though, because I am in need of a new phone asap.
  • Reply 48 of 92
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hey, a quote from the forums from 2004. How's that going for you?

There's no sense in Apple making their own TV.

We shall see.And you shall be renamed crow eating shortest skil.
  • Reply 49 of 92
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    The report mentions hardware to install. Doesn't indicate whether that means backlit posters or product but it's interesting.

What could Apple keep a secret that would be a big deal? A5 Apple TV with full App Store and iOS devices as controllers? Would be HUGE but require little in the way of retooling.

Just plucking an idea out the air but I for one don't underestimate Apple's ability to surprise, and I think they'll want to prove they can still evade the leaks and shock us when they really want to at some stage!
  • Reply 50 of 92
    omoomo Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think that makes sense even though it?s getting harder for me to imagine Apple selling .Mac/MobileMe-like boxes to customers. However, if they do plan on selling iCloud services through 3rd-parties, like Amazon, they will need a physical product with a redeem code.

PS: Would they leverage iCloud as a download in Mac App Store to help promote it or an update via Software Update the way they did with .Mac to MobileMe?

My guess is that there will be no physical media for iCloud. Either it will be free as a way to get people into the Apple ecosystem and add value to existing hardware (this is what I think, with perhaps pay to upgrade to more iCloud storage space or a subscription for streaming media), or there will be some fee that can be billed online.

Perhaps iCloud will make it easy to share documents and media between iOS and OSX as well. For example, if I write a document on my iPad using Pages and save it, its automatically saved to iCloud. When I get home, I open Pages on my mac, and it's right there in my 'open recent documents' list. This would be great because among other things, it also opens up a whole world of printers that aren't AirPrint enabled.

And say my company uses an iPad ap and deploys a fleet of iPads throughout the enterprise, it would be a great way to easily sync field data collection (be it insurance claim forms, sales info, whatever) with the home office, or have it instantly available to you when you logged on to your primary computer.

This would also be great in the opposite direction. For example, video editing. Use Final Cut Pro on a mac. Save a reel of dailies to iCloud, and now everyone on the project can instantly stream dailies on their iPads. Or just make it easier to collaborate.

I think that iCloud (or whatever it is) will try to be an all-encompassing framework for both iTunes type media consumption/distribution/streaming as well as supporting the enterprise and enable a new way to incorporate the iPad into your daily workflow. Perhaps some parts of it will be free and others will require purchase or subscription.

And if Apple can make it work with little to no set-up or headaches, I think it would also enhance the value of the whole software-hardware ecosystem. If you can effortlessly move from your iMac at the desk to the iPad in the field or on the couch, it makes both products more appealing.
  • Reply 51 of 92
    Quote:

I think that makes sense even though it?s getting harder for me to imagine Apple selling .Mac/MobileMe-like boxes to customers. However, if they do plan on selling iCloud services through 3rd-parties, like Amazon, they will need a physical product with a redeem code.

PS: Would they leverage iCloud as a download in Mac App Store to help promote it or an update via Software Update the way they did with .Mac to MobileMe?

I meant in-store discount on Apple hardware (e.g., 10% off iPods, iMacs, iPhones, etc if purchased in a brick-and-mortar store), for a limited time.
  • Reply 52 of 92
    edit...
  • Reply 53 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

They will be locking the staff in to rehearse this routine!

I love it so much! I had forgotten about all the sad stunts Microsoft tried and failed over the past year or so. Remember the fake funeral? Another classic!
  • Reply 54 of 92
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member
    I realized that most likely I see a internal renovation of how the store may be lain out. It actually makes most sense since they need new training for a new layout and need a night to move everything around.

Remember the rumor of less physical software area?
  • Reply 55 of 92
    tobiwantobiwan Posts: 73member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hey, a quote from the forums from 2004. How's that going for you?

There's no sense in Apple making their own TV.

Of course it makes sense. It is the missing piece for connecting the ecosystem to everyone's living room. Sure they have the AppleTV but for now they are creating what will be integrated into the TV. Apple has pricing power on panels and people will pay a premium for a quality display.

I give it less than two years.
  • Reply 56 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tobiwan View Post

Of course it makes sense. It is the missing piece for connecting the ecosystem to everyone's living room. Sure they have the AppleTV but for now they are creating what will be integrated into the TV. Apple has pricing power on panels and people will pay a premium for a quality display.

I give it less than two years.

1. Why aren?t they paying extra for a quality display now?

2. What sizes will they come in?

3. What panel types will they be?

4. What about the 20? I want in my bathroom or 30? I want in my guest bedroom?

5. What is so inconvenient about about buying one of hundreds of TVs and putting the input so it?s always on the AppleTV?

6. If it?s about saving that god awful chore of switching inputs how is that reduced if I still have to switch inputs for my cable box/satellite/DVR/Blu-ray player?

7. Why are you against Apple creating a more robust AppleTV that is the input for your cable box/satellite/DVR and the TV stays as it already is a dumb monitor that you don?t fiddle with?

8. How will they compete with big box stores that have the space to store hundreds of large TVs in every possible size?

9. If you say they will carry only a few in their stores and have size that fits a narrow view of consumers how will they possibly make a profit off such low sales?

10. If you say that they will sell these online what will be the shipping costs, who will install them, and how will you get them to an Apple Store for service the way you can with the current AppleTV?

11. Where is the financial benefit to Apple when they only sold 1M AppleTVs last quarter that are only $99 and connect to any and all monitors and TVs with an HDMI port?

• Reply 57 of 92
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

iCloud? I really don't think so since this a retail thing they have to set up for... If anything it should be a physical product

Don't count on that. if it is the revamped Mobile Me with music streaming etc then they will want it to be trumpeted because they want it to seem like a big huge deal. And there's nothing like the black curtain treatment to make folks go check out whatever cause Apple gave it the black curtain.

They just released new ipads, laptops and iMacs. ipods are likely still in september and the lack of rumors about the iphone suggests that it will be June or after not before. so aside from perhaps a size increase on the time capsules there's little else physical to release.

It's also possible that the big to do is merely internal stuff and they are putting up the curtain because they don't want the public being able to photograph stuff or bang on doors and disturbing folks. Perhaps they might also hang some new banners that mention the anniversary of the stores. But nothing else.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tmarks11 View Post

Just icloud going active wouldn't require employees to work extra shifts 20-22 May.

No one ever said there would be more staff on those days. When that whole thing started the Boys at Cupe probably hadn't decided what day they were going to do whatever so they wanted to ensure that the whole staff would be there. Thus no vacation or day off requests would be honored.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

They will be locking the staff in to rehearse this routine!

I hope they remember the shoplifter. THat's a key part of the routine

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

The report mentions hardware to install.

could be new banners. more demo machines, anything. Heck it could be internal use hardware like more employees with ipads on the floor or some such. I've been in a couple of stores over the last week and I've noticed that they are really pushing some computerized wait list thing where I guess the employees get alerts that someone is waiting and who is next. So it might have something to do with that whole to do.
  • Reply 58 of 92
    What about Lion?
  • Reply 59 of 92
    Quote:

What about Lion?

It's not a circus
  • Reply 60 of 92
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Apple may be planning something that coincides with the tenth anniversary, but I very highly doubt Apple is planning to specifically recognize the anniversary.

After the 20th anniversary of the Macintosh passed without fanfare, it became pretty clear that Steve doesn't hold occasions for such things.

Try looking up 20th anniversary Mac on the Google. It was in recognition of Apple's 20th anniversary rather than the Mac's but it does exist.