Samsung files motion to see Apple's next iPhone and iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 127
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Samsung also copied RIM and, a few years ago, NOKIA. My friend has one of this Samsung's look-alike Blackberry. I guess if they don't make WP7 they might copy that too. They're capable of engineering the devices but they just want the short cut I guess.
  • Reply 42 of 127
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

@smitty5569

This is why Apple is suing Samsung...

Samsung even used a sunflower for their Gallery icon.

And why use a flower anyway? Samsung didn't even attempt to look for another icon for Gallery... that's about as lazy as you can get!

You forgot to mention that everything is just a little bit uglier too. You would think if they were that good at copying that something would be an improvement...
  • Reply 43 of 127
    eswinsoneswinson Posts: 99member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Samsung is just too big to gobble up.

Its a conglomerate that produces 25% of the entire GDP of South Korea.

I'm sure apple would be delighted to be in the kitchen appliance business as well
  • Reply 44 of 127
    drobforeverdrobforever Posts: 400member
    If Apple tries too hard, Apple will lose the Korea market, so I just don't think Apple wants to fight till the end. All these are just actions to try to have more leverage when negotiating a settlement.
  • Reply 45 of 127
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:

@smitty5569

And why use a flower anyway? Samsung didn't even attempt to look for another icon for Gallery... that's about as lazy as you can get!

Sorry, but that image is not exactly honest either. For one, that's not the messaging icon that samsung uses - its an open envelope. Look on the bottom 3rd icon on the galaxy S picture to see what I mean.

Of the remaining icons, the only ones that you could really make a case for is the Gallery and the phone. All the others are actually quite different, stylewise. Gears to represent settings is nothing unique, and the style of gear is completely different than the iPhone's. The notepad is of a different design, and the only thing similar about the contacts icon is that they both have a portrait.

Apple does have a case for the design of the app drawer on the Galaxy S phones, but I just don't see it when it comes to the icons themselves.
  • Reply 46 of 127
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member
    This sort of knee jerk reaction to Apple's request and victory will only make Samsung the laughing stock of the internet!

I would love to see Samsung's justification of why they need to see Apple's future products!
  • Reply 47 of 127
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

The only thing Samsung will get to "see" is Steve's middle finger

The courts are going to laugh samsung off...

Apple is accusing Samsung of copying their products, and the preliminary evidence they have provided is pretty strong, which is why their request was accepted.

Samsung has never claimed Apple stole from them (and they have no evidence this is the case anyways) so there is no reason for them to receive advance units.

So freakin stupid.
  • Reply 48 of 127
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Samsung's sunflower is taken from their UI's default wallpaper. Samsung use a sunflower because it shows of the vibrancy of their OLED screens.
  • Reply 49 of 127
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Be assured that Apple will merely send Samsung a PROTOTYPE which most likely will not reveal the new features of the next Iphone.
  • Reply 50 of 127
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

@smitty5569

I really love the sunflower! I wonder when Apple is going to bring the Sunflower to the dock of OSX. The current iPhoto icon in OSX looks very dated.
  • Reply 51 of 127
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

Sorry, but that image is not exactly honest either. For one, that's not the messaging icon that samsung uses - its an open envelope. Look on the bottom 3rd icon on the galaxy S picture to see what I mean.

Of the remaining icons, the only ones that you could really make a case for is the Gallery and the phone. All the others are actually quite different, stylewise. Gears to represent settings is nothing unique, and the style of gear is completely different than the iPhone's. The notepad is of a different design, and the only thing similar about the contacts icon is that they both have a portrait.

Apple does have a case for the design of the app drawer on the Galaxy S phones, but I just don't see it when it comes to the icons themselves.

I didn't make the graphics in my first post... thisismynext did.

As for Samsung... it's the sum of the parts. It's not just a couple icons... it's lots of little things.

HTC Sense and Motorola Blur look different enough, and Apple doesn't have a problem with stock Android either. But Samsung took the easy road... and Apple called them out on it.

Here's another image I found... and I pointed out the similarities. It's pretty obvious what Apple is talking about.

Really Samsung?

• Reply 52 of 127
    roboduderobodude Posts: 273member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Yes and no. Apple's argument is that Samsung has made a definite practice of copying Apple's "Look and Feel" (which can and is trademarked). The judge is allowing their lawyers to see the not yet released products because if they look highly similar to Apple products that adds to the weight of the notion that it is a firm practice and not an accident.

Cheers for the explanation as this wasn't making much sense to me either. Although would still be difficult to argue with the somewhat damning evidence against them. Having so many similar looking phones devalues what Apple have tried to do in my eyes, and it will be interesting to see how successful the action they've taken against Samsung, HTC et al. will be as well as how they can stay ahead with future OS and hardware revisions.
  • Reply 53 of 127
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Samsung just won the Most Wishful Thinking award of 2011.
  • Reply 54 of 127
    Quote:

As for Samsung... it's the sum of the parts. It's not just a couple icons... it's lots of little things.

HTC Sense and Motorola Blur look different enough, and Apple doesn't have a problem with stock Android either. But Samsung took the easy road... and Apple called them out on it.

Didn't Apple sue HTC for Sense among other things... doesn't quite strengthen your argument. Apple will try and get as much compensation as possible, regardless of how blatant the copying is. Just seems to be that Samsung is the worst offender. 'Stock Android' started the whole iPhone copying as many on the site will agree, Apple aren't suing Google perhaps on the technicality that Android is free -- hopefully someone can chime in to correct me on this one. That said, Microsoft aren't suing Google either (just HTC?) so it seems they're targeting the hardware manufacturers as they have a better chance doing this.
  • Reply 55 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

If you hadn't posted the link, I would have. Hard to stomp out a lie, ain't it?

That's just the trick about "fabricated facts", frequently used in politics (mainly on the Right Wing).

Repeat a lie frequently enough and it becomes the truth...
  • Reply 56 of 127
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:

Here's another image I found... and I pointed out the similarities. It's pretty obvious what Apple is talking about.

Really Samsung?

Right, like I said, Apple has a case going after the app drawer. Samsung definitely went to lengths to modify it from the default android's look and behavior to closely mimic iOS'.

What that graphic was suggesting was that the crux of the case lies with the similarities between the icons; I just don't think that's the right avenue of attack. Yes, some of the icons are similar, but they're different enough that I wouldn't consider them direct copies.
  • Reply 57 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

Didn't Apple sue HTC for Sense among other things... doesn't quite strengthen your argument.

Apple sued HTC for 20 patents. But only a few were related to the interface... notably slide-to-unlock.

I don't really have to argue... that picture is pretty damning for Samsung...

Quote:

so it seems they're targeting the hardware manufacturers as they have a better chance doing this.

Of course Apple is gonna sue Samsung.... Samsung made TouchWiz that looks very similar to iOS.
  • Reply 58 of 127
    Quote:

Cheers for the explanation as this wasn't making much sense to me either. Although would still be difficult to argue with the somewhat damning evidence against them. Having so many similar looking phones devalues what Apple have tried to do in my eyes, and it will be interesting to see how successful the action they've taken against Samsung, HTC et al. will be as well as how they can stay ahead with future OS and hardware revisions.

There's only so much innovation that can be squeezed into any particular category of device, as witness the current stagnation on the PMP front (although the iPod Touch may beg to differ on that).

However, if the iPhone 4's sudden focus-switch onto hardware (retina display, thin form factor, cameras, battery etc) is anything to go by, Apple's follow-up with a mega software blitz, the details of which we are possibly on the verge of come the WWDC early next month, could be something to look forward to as a typical and classic switch manoeuvre.
  • Reply 59 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

What that graphic was suggesting was that the crux of the case lies with the similarities between the icons; I just don't think that's the right avenue of attack. Yes, some of the icons are similar, but they're different enough that I wouldn't consider them direct copies.

Oh sorry... the lawsuit is much deeper than just icons. You can find a full analysis here: http://thisismynext.com/2011/04/19/a...sung-analysis/

But add up all the little things in that picture alone... red circles for notifications... AND dots between the springboard and drawer... AND a music icon that looks an awful lot like iTunes....

Samsung seems to have no imagination at all...
  • Reply 60 of 127
    Quote:

Apple sued HTC for 20 patents. But only a few were related to the interface... notably slide-to-unlock.

I don't really have to argue... that picture is pretty damning for Samsung...

Of course Apple is gonna sue Samsung.... Samsung made TouchWiz that looks very similar to iOS.

While they didn't claim look and feel against HTC there were quite a few admittedly confusing UI patents, the main one being object-orientated graphic system. I'd argue that Android looks similar to iOS and was Blackberry lite before the iPhone was introduced. Tweaks from Samsung, et al. are mainly derivative from Stock Android. So, as different as they try to make Android phones look, there's always going to be a base level of similarity to the iPhone.

I think the quote below sums up what I'm trying to get at:

"Apple's now seriously engaged in litigation with the two largest Android handset makers (HTC and Motorola), largely over OS-level patents. At some point Google has to get involved, if only to indemnify its partners against further liability for using Android, and we can't help but think Apple and Google are eventually bound to face off directly. Or perhaps not -- by suing Android handset makers, Apple's essentially putting a tax on Android without having to further muddy up its complex competitor / partner relationship with Google by adding in a major lawsuit."

Engadget - Apple countersues Motorola