Samsung files motion to see Apple's next iPhone and iPad

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 127
    see flatsee flat Posts: 145member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankie View Post

What's Samsung valued at?

Would it be totally bad business for Apple to just buy them? Just an idea.

quick guess: Apple 70 Billion in revenue.... Samsung 170 Billion in revenue.

Be careful of what you wish.

I love my Samsung washer and dryer (best i've ever owned)

I love my Samsung TV (it's been running perfectly for 4 years)

I hate my Samsung DVD player (software/firmware is crap)

conclusion: will never buy a computer or phone from them.
  • Reply 122 of 127
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by See Flat View Post

Apple could never buy Samsung but I'd rather look at the net profit to see how the company is doing. After all, Samsung has their hands in areas that generate high revenue by its nature.

Net Profit Q1-2011:
    • Samsung: $2.6 billion

• Apple: $5.99 billion

That was also a 30% drop for Samsung YoY.
  • Reply 123 of 127
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Yep. Samsung is a good hardware manufacturer. They are a completely horrible software manufacturer that lucked into Android. It's pretty galling to watch Samsung prance around like they invented the future, preening and gobbling about "digital humanism", when all they've managed to do is put Android on some decently made devices. Talk about hubris.

Samsung's (as opposed to Google's) idea of the future is a grotesque mishmash of random buttons with pretty much zero thought to usability. Even their TVs, while nice enough PQ wise, manage to make simple functions infuriating by fucking up the basics-- putting the exit button right next to a navigation cursor on the remotes, for instance, so that if you're trying to navigate Netflix you stand a pretty good chance of inadvertently leaving the app-- which takes a solid 20 seconds to quite, with nothing responsive in the meantime. And don't even get me started about setting up one of their devices for online access. Good lord.

Honestly, every time I see one of those assholes go on about how they're such badasses who now deserve to take their place along side Apple as a true innovator it makes me want to shoot something. I've never seen such explicitly user hostile devices in my life. It reminds me of the smartphone business before Apple-- the only reason people don't tell Samsung to fuck off is because they've never encountered anything better, and shitty UIs and horrible user experiences are still the de facto standard for most consumer electronics.

I suppose I'm making Ireland's case for an Apple branded television, which I don't think will happen. But it would be pretty funny if Apple walked into Samsung's bread and butter CE market and humiliated them as they surely deserve to be humiliated. I mean, outside of hardware engineering, they really don't seem to give a fuck. I suppose eventually they'll have some kind of Google TV thing baked in and pat themselves on the back for that as well.
  • Reply 124 of 127
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple could never buy Samsung

Why could Apple never buy Samsung? Samsung's market cap is around $100 M, IIRC. Apple's is 5 times that. Apple's cash reserves alone are nearly half of Samsung's market cap - and Apple has immense borrowing capability and the ability to issue more stock if needed.

Buying Samsung would be a piece of cake.

Of course, that's not to say that it would be a good idea, but it would certainly be possible.
  • Reply 125 of 127
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Why could Apple never buy Samsung? Samsung's market cap is around $100 M, IIRC. Apple's is 5 times that. Apple's cash reserves alone are nearly half of Samsung's market cap - and Apple has immense borrowing capability and the ability to issue more stock if needed.

Buying Samsung would be a piece of cake.

Of course, that's not to say that it would be a good idea, but it would certainly be possible.

1) I don't think the Korean government would allow it.

2) Marketcap is the number of shares times the value of said share. Samsung 's total assets were $300 billion in 2009 which looks to be well above Apple's total assets.

3) What good would it do Apple to buy the multinational conglomerate that is Samsung? Even we step down to only consider Samsung Electronics that's still over $100 Billion in assists and gets Apple way in over its head with electronics it's never dealt with.
  • Reply 126 of 127
    bc kellybc kelly Posts: 148member

The Article says Samsung wants ...

"most current version of each"

Sure, go to your Local Apple Retail Store and buy one

And P.S.

How could so many of you pass on that "hanging curve ball" ?

(for you non-USA Baseball Types, is same as missing an "open goal")

• Reply 127 of 127
    Quote:

samsung should just do the default Android OS on products. that way apple would have to go after google. i have no idea why these idiotic phone makers are 'tweaking' the UI. its just stupid.

samsung has some good hardware. lousy software when they do it in house.

now that netflix is on android i don't see why anyone would get an iphone. flash, turn by turn navigation for free, app quality is good and getting better. security is looking a bit iffy i must say, but unless you are a complete numbskull and just install apps without a little research then you won't get burned.

samsung has made some hardware very comparable to apples and apple is afraid they will get left in the dust like they did with Win 95. was the Mac better? yes. did that matter? no.