Samsung files motion to see Apple's next iPhone and iPad

Comments

• Reply 101 of 127
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smitty5569 View Post

Samsung actually has higher revenue then Apple.

While the F700 was indeed announced at CeBIT in 2006, the actual phone wasn't shown until February 2007 -- a month after Apple showed off the iPhone.

Do some research first.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ung_first.html
  • Reply 102 of 127
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Are you afraid we didn't read the same thing from the last three (or was it four) guys that posted that? Reading thru the thread before posting would have saved another instance of it.
  • Reply 103 of 127
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smitty5569 View Post

[Smitty's image which has already appeared many times in the thread]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rothgarr View Post

smitty, have you read the facts about that image? (and how inaccurate it is):

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ung_first.html

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

If you hadn't posted the link, I would have. Hard to stomp out a lie, ain't it?

A feminist organization put out a press release (quite a few years ago now) that violence against women increased markedly during the broadcasts of Super Bowls. It turned out to be totally bogus, but I STILL see it pop now and then......

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

@smitty5569

This is why Apple is suing Samsung...

Samsung even used a sunflower for their Gallery icon.

And why use a flower anyway? Samsung didn't even attempt to look for another icon for Gallery... that's about as lazy as you can get!

My LG Voyager phone - now at least four years old (I have insurance - this is the third one - I don't need net in my pocket until Apple has 4G, voice and txt suffice, but anyway....) and it has the virtually identical sunflower icon and gears icons as the iPhone - before either the Samsung and iPhones came out. No lawsuits going on there though. But NEITHER company has any exclusivity to brag about on those two at least.....

....and the old Warner Brother's Looney Tunes logo might have a thing or two to say about the music icons.

Tempests in teapots and much ados about not much....
  • Reply 104 of 127
    jeffdenverjeffdenver Posts: 108member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

My LG Voyager phone - now at least four years old (I have insurance - this is the third one - I don't need net in my pocket until Apple has 4G, voice and txt suffice, but anyway....) and it has the virtually identical sunflower icon and gears icons as the iPhone - before either the Samsung and iPhones came out. No lawsuits going on there though. But NEITHER company has any exclusivity to brag about on those two at least.....

....and the old Warner Brother's Looney Tunes logo might have a thing or two to say about the music icons.

Tempests in teapots and much ados about not much....

Yeah, it is odd that Apple thinks they can copyright basic ideas like chat bubble icons and stylized gears and CDs with music notes on them. Those predate the iPhone by a very wide margin.
  • Reply 105 of 127
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post

Yeah, it is odd that Apple thinks they can copyright basic ideas like chat bubble icons and stylized gears and CDs with music notes on them. Those predate the iPhone by a very wide margin.

Once again, we have someone who insists on posting about a topic he doesn't understand.

It's about trade dress, not copyright. Please educate yourself before making yourself look like a fool.
  • Reply 106 of 127
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

My LG Voyager phone - now at least four years old (I have insurance - this is the third one - I don't need net in my pocket until Apple has 4G, voice and txt suffice, but anyway....) and it has the virtually identical sunflower icon and gears icons as the iPhone - before either the Samsung and iPhones came out. No lawsuits going on there though. But NEITHER company has any exclusivity to brag about on those two at least...

1) If the sunflower and gear were the focus of Apple?s lawsuit I?d say you just made Samsung?s case for them but I think it?s much more involved than that, which is why LG?s simple usage isn?t the blatant ripoff that Samsung pulled. Also, according to Wikipedia the LG Voyager hit shelves nearly a year after the original iPhone was introduced to the world.

2) Why wait until an iPhone with ?4G?? Do you mean LTE Advanced or will HSPA+ suit you just fine?
  • Reply 107 of 127
    The whole thing sounds like a pissing contest between attorneys.....

Can't we just all get along, maybe without attorneys and politicans (actually, they're the same), we could..............................

So who's better as a bottom sucker, attorneys or politicians?
  • Reply 108 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

So who's better as a bottom sucker, attorneys or politicians?

The tea baggers! (In no way should my comment be interpreted as political).
  • Reply 109 of 127
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) If the sunflower and gear were the focus of Apple’s lawsuit I’d say you just made Samsung’s case for them but I think it’s much more involved than that, which is why LG’s simple usage isn’t the blatant ripoff that Samsung pulled. Also, according to Wikipedia the LG Voyager hit shelves nearly a year after the original iPhone was introduced to the world.

2) Why wait until an iPhone with “4G”? Do you mean LTE Advanced or will HSPA+ suit you just fine?

Correction on release dates noted, thanks. Could've sworn I've been past my Verizon contract for close to two years, tho. Guess it's just one.

And yes I know that no "4G" service out there (or likely to be out there soon if exactly ever) is true "4G" - and I've read preliminary 5G specs are in development - which will likely follow a similar route - meaning we could see "5G phones" before we have "true 4G." (Most 3G probably wasn't all that compliant either? I'm guessing you of anyone here might know.)

So what I mean is simply I hate page loading latencies and since my budget's been tied up with other necessities, I've been waiting for a next gen that won't feel noticeably slower than my notebook of today - which just "pops" up the pages compared to anything I've had before. (I am impressed by how fast the iPad already seems to load - and I follow Apple's latest and greatest constantly, but I buy to keep and am seldom an "early adopter" so my iPad and/or iPhone can wait for the next data transmission speed bump).
  • Reply 110 of 127
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

iTunes has not had DRM for several years. Perhaps you need to check the calendar; your arguments from 2009 won't work anymore.

iTunes sourced media have plenty of DRM left on them. The music, not so much.
  • Reply 111 of 127
    Quote:

(Most 3G probably wasn't all that compliant either? I'm guessing you of anyone here might know.)

If I recall correctly MMS and EDGE data were first defined as ?3G? tech by 3GPP and ITU, respectively, before being made compatible with 2G service.

Quote:

So what I mean is simply I hate page loading latencies and since my budget's been tied up with other necessities, I've been waiting for a next gen that won't feel noticeably slower than my notebook of today - which just "pops" up the pages compared to anything I've had before. (I am impressed by how fast the iPad already seems to load - and I follow Apple's latest and greatest constantly, but I buy to keep and am seldom an "early adopter" so my iPad and/or iPhone can wait for the next data transmission speed bump).

Fair enough. If you are in the US I?d suggest at least checking it out. You do you have 30 days to test the device and there is restocking fee if you don?t like it.
  • Reply 112 of 127
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:

• Reply 113 of 127
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:

No more than the words "Sarah Palin" or "Joe Biden".

... Never discuss religion, politics or OSes... Nobody wins!
  • Reply 114 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

No more than the words "Sarah Palin" or "Joe Biden".

... Never discuss religion, politics or OSes... Nobody wins!

I can’t tell if you got my joke or not. Though I did just realize I messed up on it. It should be tea bagees, not baggers.

You’re right. We can’t even talk about rumors of unannounced products without getting into heated discussions.
  • Reply 115 of 127
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Once again, we have someone who insists on posting about a topic he doesn't understand. ...

You have to cut JeffDenver a little slack. If he waited for a topic he understood, he'd never get a chance to say anything.
  • Reply 116 of 127
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

iTunes sourced media have plenty of DRM left on them. The music, not so much.

Do you mean DRM on video, plese share if you know of some commersial service provider who does not have DRM then please share with us!!!

I have never used itunes for video as I dont like the workflow. But what the heck why would you need to??? I have an ipad and an iphone4 and i dont use itunes for video. There are so many better options...
  • Reply 117 of 127
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Apple: "Stop copying our design."

Samsung: "Did not."

Apple: "Did too"

Samsung: "Prove it. Show us all your future designs."

Apple: "Here you are. Just don't copy them again. Promise?"
  • Reply 118 of 127
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Why woulnd't that work the other way?

So many Apple fans here try to suggest that Samsung not only copied Apple's design, but managed to build a product from it it under a month.

Let's keep it real (yeah, I know, futile suggestion here in Doublestandardsland).

Dude, Apple isn't and never was to my knowledge, complaining about that particular device. (The F 700) It in no way resembles the iPhone.

It's what Samsung did later that clearly demonstrates that they were ripping off Apple's trade dress in order create confusion in the marketplace. Even their packaging magically began to look very Apple-like.

Edit: Spelling
  • Reply 119 of 127
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

I got a new Samsung phone not long ago - Omnia 7. It's a really nice device. It feels better than iPhone 4 in hand, has a better screen than iPhone 4 and unlike my previous iPhone 3GS, it can actually hold a signal in my house.

I'm not sure if Samsung could learn anything about hardware from Apple because they seem to be on top of it already.

Samsung got everything to learn beside hardware. They got to learn software which they never did and customer support which they never had.

Have you check all story about bricked Omnia 7 after update?
  • Reply 120 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by moustache View Post

@Rothgarr

My old Palm Pilot = Samsung's F700.

However I can't see where iPhone's interface is related to the Palm Pilot. Go figure.

Your old Palm Pilot = Apple newton

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton_%28platform%29