Adobe CEO downplays Flash, iOS feud, says Android tablets will dominate iPad

Comments

• Reply 101 of 135
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Adobe stance of Flash on Android... "look ma, I can view a web page with flash on it. just like on my PC, but only smaller". "That is amazing son!, you mean all I need to do is have a phone with a fast enough CPU and then continually pan and zoom around to see the content that I want?" "Wow, that truly is amazing!".

Meanwhile, the first question smartphone veterans ask is "Reading web pages designed for desktop computers on my smartphone is a real PITA, I wonder if there is an application for their website to allow me to get around optimally on my smartphone? hmm.. let me check" Well, maybe not those exact words.
  • Reply 102 of 135
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snova View Post

Adobe stance of Flash on Android... "look ma, I can view a web page with flash on it. just like on my PC, but only smaller". "That is amazing son!, you mean all I need to do is have a phone with a fast enough CPU and then continually pan and zoom around to see the content that I want?" "Wow, that truly is amazing!".

That makes me think of this silly ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PeH9CRkMDE
  • Reply 103 of 135
    muncywebmuncyweb Posts: 157member
    Is it just me or do all of Apple's competitors have CEO's with last names like Wu, Wong, Dong, Whoflungchow, or other such foreign sounding phraseology?
  • Reply 104 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MuncyWeb View Post

Is it just me or do all of Apple's competitors have CEO's with last names like Wu, Wong, Dong, Whoflungchow, or other such foreign sounding phraseology?

welcome to the global marketplace.
  • Reply 105 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That makes me think of this silly ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PeH9CRkMDE

very entertaining.. lol

Here's another:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STw4zti94iM

Is it Flash Ah ah! or Flash AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 106 of 135
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

And the major area of droid's growth outside the US is in China. In yes, another fragment of the hopelessly fragmented droid tree. And it's hurting Google. Not helping.

One or more of the high-growth Chinese versions of droid have no connection to Google search (obviously), with a non-Android Market app store, and a different map engine. But the real killer is that there are no AdMob ads. That hits Google where it really hurts. 96% of Google's revenue comes from ads. No droid spam = no Google profits.

Baidu, the Chinese search engine has seen some growth in the past year, now at nearly 5% of the worldwide search-engine market. That's better than even Bing, who I had thought would make a bigger impression by now. Google still holds about 83% market share, which is just as amazing as Apple carrying 80% of the tablet market IMO. That any single company can control so much of a huge market is incredible.

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/sear...ider=1&qprid=5

So in reality Google has very little real competition in search for now. But Facebook is another matter. They're the one's Google needs to be most concerned with since they're going after the ad market itself.
  • Reply 107 of 135
    jm6032jm6032 Posts: 147member
    Quote:

I dont think this is necessary.. Websites are already either being updated to support iOS devices...

If I may offer a data point: My wife runs her own business and has several websites. We manage some of them in-house and farm some out. The first thing she tells the outside vendors is that whatever they do must work on her iPhone and iPad...
  • Reply 108 of 135
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jims1973 View Post

You can thank DirectX for that.

Thank you Micro$oft for buying out the unique Mac only games developer 2 weeks after showing Halo running on a Mac in OpenGL at MacWorld'99...
  • Reply 109 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Baidu, the Chinese search engine has seen some growth in the past year, now at nearly 5% of the worldwide search-engine market. ]

Its important to keep in mind that Baidu market cap is very different then Google's. Google's market is everywhere BUT China. Baidu's is ONLY China (currently). However, having said that, it is important to point out that 1 out of every 5 people in the world is Chinese. US+Canada combined only represents 1 in 20 people. Something to ponder.

I think its hard for many to appreciate the market potential of China until you actually visit a few regions in China first hand.
  • Reply 110 of 135
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

The trouble with capitalism is the role, incompetence and insane salaries of CEO's. They are ruining perfectly good companies. Marx didn't foresee this problem and no new Marx has been born to show the way out.

Yeah, that's just what we need. "A new Marx to show us the way out."
  • Reply 111 of 135
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

Thank you Micro$oft for buying out the unique Mac only games developer 2 weeks after showing Halo running on a Mac in OpenGL at MacWorld'99...

Speaking of which, when will we get a Mac version of Halo 2? I mean, I can run it in Cider, but I'd like something native.
  • Reply 112 of 135
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Speaking of which, when will we get a Mac version of Halo 2? I mean, I can run it in Cider, but I'd like something native.

I'd put under "eventually".

Microsoft owns the IP now, so they'll get around to it.
  • Reply 113 of 135
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Should be available soon with Oni 2, Marathon and the next Myth
  • Reply 114 of 135
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

That's exactly right.

But... HP doesn't combine their numbers will Dell when they give their results for computers... so why would you combine Samsung, HTC, LG and Motorola for phones? Those companies are bitter enemies.

Perhaps not, but microsoft does.

Maybe Samsung and Motorola don't combine numbers, but Google the the press certainly do.

Thankfully, this is the case. Otherwise, Apple would look like a huge company to everyone and it wouldn't fuel the "leet" status fanbois have concerning Apple. It's just not that cool to be in love with the new IBM or Microsoft :-)
  • Reply 115 of 135
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:

Its important to keep in mind that Baidu market cap is very different then Google's. Google's market is everywhere BUT China. Baidu's is ONLY China (currently). However, having said that, it is important to point out that 1 out of every 5 people in the world is Chinese. US+Canada combined only represents 1 in 20 people. Something to ponder.

I think its hard for many to appreciate the market potential of China until you actually visit a few regions in China first hand.

Nobody who has a choice will ever trust Baidu for search results or privacy. Baidu will always be only in china.

Contrary to your observation, I would say, "Only when one gets out of Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, and Hong Kong can one appreciate that most of China is actually pretty poor."

The showcase cities and the Olympic Games really skew what typical visitors think about China. That said, China has done well for itself in many ways over the last 40 years.
  • Reply 116 of 135
    ...they have to update Flash on a PC every other day. Even the Adobe Reader gets an update about once a week. Really? To read PDFs I need to update this piece of shit app once a week? I can't stand Adobe and their crappy apps. The last one I'm using is Photoshop and I'm using that less and less.
  • Reply 117 of 135
    webpoet73webpoet73 Posts: 112member
    Of the apps that I have on my Evo... Flash is the 4th largest app behind Netflix, HBO GO, and Google Earth... 11.96MB. The browser I use (Dolphin HD) is 2.59MB. Why is a plug-in for a browser 5x as large as the browser.

This seems like bloatware to me. That's why it performs so badly on my Evo. I rarely, if ever, use Flash on my phone. Screen it too small for flash games and many don't work right using touch. I have used it for YouTube (for videos not available in the mobile app).

Having Flash on a phone is a checkbox feature. Now, on a tablet, that is different. I wouldn't mind it on my iPad but not on my iPod touch. I am thinking about removing it from my phone as well. Perhaps, if I had a use for it...
  • Reply 118 of 135
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,907member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

Yeah I remember that. That REALLY pissed me off. And yes I know Bungie had run out of money and probably would not have survived without MS buying them, but still . . . ugly business. At least they were smart enough to build-in a "get out of jail free" card into their deal and they played it.
  • Reply 119 of 135
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Yeah I remember that. That REALLY pissed me off. And yes I know Bungie had run out of money and probably would not have survived without MS buying them, but still . . . ugly business. At least they were smart enough to build-in a "get out of jail free" card into their deal and they played it.

This is one of those great moves by MS and few bad moves by Apple after the return of Jobs. Apple ended up doing fine (obviously) but if they had supported Bungie I bet they would have even more money now and MS would have even less.
  • Reply 120 of 135
    vvswarupvvswarup Posts: 336member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I agree. The whole 'Android is winning" is simply coming from Apple haters and they cling to whatever statistic makes them feel good. They had to move to loving Android after Microsoft embarrassed them so badly with all its recent failures. They had nothing else to cling to other than Flash which suddenly became the 'second front' after Android.

We Apple fans all simply need to stop quoting Mac, iPad or iPhone sales and talk about Apple OS (iOS and OS X) numbers out there. The total number is pretty impressive. Then throw in the profitability numbers for all Apple OS products and finish of with a few little things like Apple's worth, retails stores, YOY growth and oh, how about customer satisfaction? ... Oh I now see why Apple haters are in such a state ... LOL

Tell me about it! Everyone who likes to trot out Android's leading market share should remember that at the end of the day, the amount of profits you make is the only thing that matters. I was talking to a family friend a couple of months ago and he suggested that I sell my Apple stock because of Android's popularity. He said that as Android's market share grows, that would put a dent in Apple's profits. Boy am I glad I didn't listen to him. I know in the future to never listen to him ever again!

It depends on what this guy defines as "overtaking" the iPad. If he's talking about market share, then I couldn't care less. Like I said, at the end of the day, the bottom line is all that matters. Apple is dominating where it really matters.