Adobe CEO downplays Flash, iOS feud, says Android tablets will dominate iPad

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 135
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Yeah I remember that. That REALLY pissed me off. And yes I know Bungie had run out of money and probably would not have survived without MS buying them, but still . . . ugly business. At least they were smart enough to build-in a "get out of jail free" card into their deal and they played it.

Let's dream a little...

Wouldn't be a wonderful dream if Apple jump into video game major leagues? Lets taught about it..

Apple could create a console very quickly, think about it Sony and MS loss money selling their console at 299$, Apple can sold 99$ an AppleTV w/ iPad2 hardware in it and still make money. To do so, Apple only need to come with a good bluetooth controller to pave the way for third party. It would be wonderful for Bungie to join Apple and bring back all their good old franchises to iOS, Myth would be perfect for the iPad, Marathon is perfect for large wide screen TV. I thing the Apple TV can be the new Trojan horse for Apple, just like iTunes has been Apple's trojan for bringing the iPod to Windows users.
  • Reply 122 of 135
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

]Wouldn't be a wonderful dream if Apple jump into video game major leagues?

No. The money is made in software licensing. That's not Apple.

Quote:

Lets taught about it..

Talk.

Quote:

I thing the Apple TV can be the new Trojan horse for Apple

AAAH! MACDEFENDER!

It won't ever happen. Let the dream die before it becomes a bitter sense of "entitlement".
  • Reply 123 of 135
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:

Let's dream a little...

Wouldn't be a wonderful dream if Apple jump into video game major leagues? Lets taught about it..

IDK, Try asking the gaming community. If you did, you'll find that an Apple gaming console is one of the top no-no's for gamers.

Quote:

Apple could create a console very quickly, think about it Sony and MS loss money selling their console at 299$, Apple can sold 99$ an AppleTV w/ iPad2 hardware in it and still make money. To do so, Apple only need to come with a good bluetooth controller to pave the way for third party. It would be wonderful for Bungie to join Apple and bring back all their good old franchises to iOS, Myth would be perfect for the iPad, Marathon is perfect for large wide screen TV. I thing the Apple TV can be the new Trojan horse for Apple, just like iTunes has been Apple's trojan for bringing the iPod to Windows users.

1.Apple TV does not have Ipad 2 hardware. The processor in TV is single core, and only 256mb or ram, compared to the Dual-core A5 which has twice the power, ram, and 9X the Graphics power.

2. MS and Sony HAVE been profiting

MS has been turning profit since 2008, http://www.joystiq.com/2008/01/24/th...urns-a-profit/

Sony has been profiting since last year http://www.next-gen.biz/news/sony-ps3-now-profitable

3. what games? Bungie is working on a mutli-platform release right now. Bungie lost the rights to Myth after they got sold to Microsoft.

That leaves Marathon and Oni. While those 2 are great games, they aren't going to cause a mass migration of gamers toward an Ipad.

3rd party exclusives are practically non-existant anymore and if you remember Marathon was never released on a console, just mac and PC's,the latter of which whose install base is notorious for its loathing of controllers.

Steam is the undisputed online retailer of games, Gamestop aquired one of Stardock's platforms to DD games, EA just announced their own online service and onlive is already streaming games to PC's, TV's, and laptobs, Tablets should not be far off.

If apple were to enter the market, the only penetration I see would be minimal parts of the casual crowd, which would put it against Nintendo, who is leaving that crowd. Finally MS has Kinect, which if you don't seem to recall is the fastest selling consumer product in history.

I don't see Apple winning anything in Aiming for the current gaming market.
  • Reply 124 of 135
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Nobody who has a choice will ever trust Baidu for search results or privacy. Baidu will always be only in china.

Contrary to your observation, I would say, "Only when one gets out of Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, and Hong Kong can one appreciate that most of China is actually pretty poor."

The showcase cities and the Olympic Games really skew what typical visitors think about China. That said, China has done well for itself in many ways over the last 40 years.

I am not sure you understood what I meant when I said "market potential". Look at the GDP growth per capital of China compared to the US. Its moving at a huge rate every year. 5 times faster than the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ta_growth_rate

Definition of GDP as a measure of standard of living:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_domestic_product
  • Reply 125 of 135
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Flash is mostly for dumb people who like to be bombarded with intrusive ads.

You are confusing the technology with its usage.
  • Reply 126 of 135
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Mac - only one button on the mouse.

Solved - I don't use Apple mice anymore since the introduction of ADB
  • Reply 127 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

IDK, Try asking the gaming community. If you did, you'll find that an Apple gaming console is one of the top no-no's for gamers.

1.Apple TV does not have Ipad 2 hardware. The processor in TV is single core, and only 256mb or ram, compared to the Dual-core A5 which has twice the power, ram, and 9X the Graphics power.

I don't think the OP was saying the current Apple TV has iPad 2 hardware, he was saying if the next model did. I'd guess that it would most likely have the same A5 as the iPad 2.

Apple doesn't have to promote that they have a "Great new game console!!" for this. All they need to do is open up the Apple TV to apps - ideally with the Apple TV 2 and iOS 5. A lot of people might like the idea/addition of inexpensive games to the Apple TV platform.
  • Reply 128 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackcrayon View Post

I don't think the OP was saying the current Apple TV has iPad 2 hardware, he was saying if the next model did. I'd guess that it would most likely have the same A5 as the iPad 2.

Apple doesn't have to promote that they have a "Great new game console!!" for this. All they need to do is open up the Apple TV to apps - ideally with the Apple TV 2 and iOS 5. A lot of people might like the idea/addition of inexpensive games to the Apple TV platform.

Then it would be disadvantaged against Onlive and Gaikai.

If you put a game like Infinity blade on it, then people go wow that's affordable for such a good looking game.

But then they are shown games like Arkham Asylum and Just Cause 2 for prices of $5 or $6, and is NOT just limited to the TV, you've got a bit to solve on your end.
  • Reply 129 of 135
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 130 of 135
    @Jexus

I agree with you, Apple got no intention to fight gaming consoles. They try once and failed (remember the pippin). I was dreaming and nothing more. Still, Nintendo have allready prove there is a market for less powerful and cheaper console. My point is Apple got everything in it's sleeve for creating a much much cheaper gaming ecosystem than others, talk to a kid what he prefer between an PS3 or and iPad...
  • Reply 131 of 135
    Quote:

@Jexus

I agree with you, Apple got no intention to fight gaming consoles. They try once and failed (remember the pippin). I was dreaming and nothing more. Still, Nintendo have allready prove there is a market for less powerful and cheaper console. My point is Apple got everything in it's sleeve for creating a much much cheaper gaming ecosystem than others, talk to a kid what he prefer between an PS3 or and iPad...

I too agree that Apple has potential, but I was saying they had already been beat to the point.

Onlive has games like Batman: Arkham Asylum for $5. Along with the data centers to do so. It has also received favorable reviews on performance, and is has had it's mandatory subscription fee eliminated, instead making it optional.

The Wii succeeded mainly due to the fact that it got kids of the couch. Being Cheap helped it sell, yes, but When Parents saw that their kids were exercising in front of TV's? The went nuts, it kicked off the health craze in games. Microsoft pushed it further with kinect. I would question the notion of parents wanting to buy a product that again forces their children to become couch potatoes for games. Many a parent would love to give their kids and ipad, but certainly not if all they do or plan to do is use it for games.
  • Reply 132 of 135
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MuncyWeb View Post

Is it just me or do all of Apple's competitors have CEO's with last names like Wu, Wong, Dong, Whoflungchow, or other such foreign sounding phraseology?

You want the name of Foxconn's CEO who makes Apple's products?

"Steve Jobs" is a "foreign sounding phraseology" to the Chinese.

Whats your point?

Its that imperialistic, cocky, self-serving thinking that will eventually bring the US down on its knees.
  • Reply 133 of 135
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    I'm surprised that none of the G-Oldies around here pointed out that Photoshop was initially released, and Macintosh only, until version 2.5.

Another poster above tried to hit up Shantanu Narayen using racist-inflected prose, and I'll probably also get labeled as one, when I say the following:

I personally think that cultural differences play a huge part in Adobe becoming a bloated "software programming platform" company, rather than a "creative solutions and design software" company.

And while I applaud the diverse nationality of Adobe's engineering work-force, I also have to wonder if certain usability aspects and goals aren't lost "in the translation" so-to-speak.

My biggest complaint*, is that Adobe's own product-line is not thoroughly integrated within it's suite structure, and technically, shouldn't even be sold as a suite. Business interests trumping function and/or designer's needs, that's all it is, and it p****s me off to no end.

* = apart from Flash. I have yet to see a site where it is truly needed beyond DRM-video and ads. Nothing I hate more than Flash-based navigation and sites built around a Flash container window!!!!

Me personally, there isn't an executive management team on the planet that can even come close to what Apple has put together. Truly pathetic, that I'm humbly proven to be correct in that statement, every time a major tech CEO opens up their trap. Either they truly know nothing about tech or their products, or they have forgotten what it's like to need to use them every day to earn an honest living.

Adobe, Microsoft, Samsung, Sony, RIM, Acer... the list is long. We shouldn't be asking whether our schools are up to the task of supplying engineers, science, and physics majors... we should be asking WTF are they learning over in the M-BS building, and if it really is is just that i.e. Major-BS, why do we stand by and take it?!

Spouting BS is not honest in my book, which leaves a rather small opening to be considered anything less than a thief.

Financials aside, most of all it's the theft of MY TIME trying to find work-arounds and program-specific flaws, that in many cases were recently introduced, or were never addressed/fixed many versions ago, after being brought to light be "every day users". That's why I stopped beta testing: flaws and suggestions falling on deaf ears. Turns out, maybe they didn't understand me, English, or what the heck we even use this software for every day? "All of the above" is just too sad to ponder

Rather ironic how they don't even care about their brave Flash-Dev fans, still trying to squeeze the last ounce of (lemon!) juice out of Flash, and make a decent plug-in for their efforts. IF I was a Flash-Dev... I'd be screaming bloody murder! Imagine the pain these guys have to go through pitching Flash as a still-not-dead alternative/solution these days. Sado-maso is all I can say.
  • Reply 134 of 135
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    well, that may be just a little over the top. I think most flash devs develop on more than one platform, and will survive a demise of flash with little trouble. I haven't detected much of a slowdown, as most haven't, though certainly many simpler things now easily done with jquery etc just makes most flash projects far more sophisticated ones. Otherwise, as said, why use it.

I think perhaps adobe should spend less time trumpeting the eventual demise of the ipad, and more moving with the times. Man dreamweaver has become a big huge bloated pile of hurt.
  • Reply 135 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

I'm surprised that none of the G-Oldies around here pointed out that Photoshop was initially released, and Macintosh only, until version 2.5.

Relationship between Adobe and Apple (Steves Jobs) have been very very close over the ages. Photoshop was built on top of Apple Quickdraw API, without Quickdraw Photoshop would be never created. It was after Windows 95 when M$ successfully rip off Quickdraw and Quicktime, Adobe was able to bring Photoshop to Windows and ever since they now develop on Windows and then porting it to MacOS, making the crap we've got now.

Another long time relation Steves Jobs got with Adobe is concerning the Postscript language. One of the key technology behind NeXTStep was is Postscript display, NeXT was paying Adobe big money to integrate Postscript in its core. Some story tells about NeXT developper has access to Postscript source only within Adobe office, so they was forced to work and compile the Windows Manager of NeXTStep within Adobe HQ. In the meanwhile Adobe was hoping to receive a lot licensing return on the Postscript Display when Apple bought NeXT, this was before Apple secretly change NeXTStep Windows manager to use freely PDF instead of Postscript and by-passing Postscript licence issue. After this announce, Adobe took more than 2 years to port Photoshop on MacOS X.