Comments

• Reply 21 of 103
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Nice one! Bravo.

• Reply 22 of 103
    hiker275hiker275 Posts: 53member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Two land masses rub each other the wrong way in a bar?.

Ooh? you said teutonic.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

So the bartender says "We're all out of plates".

Teutonic? Oh, more like "To crush your enemies, see zem driven before you, and hear ze lamentation of zei-uh vomen."

Maybe I'm missing the joke here... but teutonic humor and tectonic humor aren't quite the same thing. Or is this play on words concerning tectonic plates characteristic of German humor????
  • Reply 23 of 103
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

I've been wondering about fandom. Most of us come here because we like Apple products and want to hear the latest news. We like Apple products because they work. What I don't get is why anybody would become a fan of Windows. Sure they have some great programs for their OS but the fundamentals of the OS really are crappy.

At a guess I would say most tech fans are more technically minded. Apple products appeal more to people that want something simple. Microsoft has more of an ecosystem where they connect with their fans e.g. the different sites like channel 9, various blogs. Apple on the other hand have more of a dictatorship approach, keeping everything a secret and then telling you what the next big thing is. Microsoft tends to share beta's with the community a year before realse, Apple gives early access to only a select few.

Basically I think it comes down to people that are more likely to become fans being more geeky and MS does a better job of connecting with them. Another reason though could just be MS is a lot more diverse in its product range so it will attract more people.

Quote:

I don't believe that anybody using Windows is immune to program freezes, window freezes, defragmenting, constant restarts due to updating programs and anti-virus software, and on and on. If Windows users love doing all that then more power to them, but really, why would anybody like doing that?

I've mainly been a Mac user for the past 10 years, but for the past 3 years have used Windows on my iMac more then OS X. In that time I can honestly say I've never experianced any of those. OS X has crashed on me a few times though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

But that doesn't change the fact that, by being an Apple customer, you get to use what everyone will be using - 2 years sooner! And as a fan of technology that is what I like.

Unless its blu-ray. Not that I care much about blu-ray but seems to be a big deal for others.
  • Reply 24 of 103
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    "They shall suffer for this outrage with their lives"

"Go Vulnavia and show our victims the full measure of our wrath"

-- Dr. Anton Phibes

• Reply 25 of 103
    rbryanhrbryanh Posts: 263member
    Apparently Germany's reputation for leaden, brick-in-the-face humor driven home with a drumroll, a pratfall, and a laugh track is deserved.

Then again, it's really no different than the concrete croissant excuse for wit adored by the booboise the world over. Television: the ultimate stupid pill.
  • Reply 26 of 103
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

I've been wondering about fandom. Most of us come here because we like Apple products and want to hear the latest news. We like Apple products because they work. What I don't get is why anybody would become a fan of Windows. Sure they have some great programs for their OS but the fundamentals of the OS really are crappy.

I switched away from Windows because it was driving me crazy. I hated being angry at the computer so often. That mostly ended when I got my Mac Book. When I bought an inexpensive HP desktop as a spare computer it had Vista. MY GOD, IT WAS DRIVING ME CRAZY! I'm sure I've spent at least a weeks worth of hours on the telephone with HP technical support. It is now dual booted with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

How can people love Windows enough to put such a sign on an Apple store? Is it just that they haven't experienced using an Apple computer? Are they just put off by the initial price tag and somehow decide that Apple computers are a rip-off?

Whoops, lighten up a bit. IMO you're taking this far to seriously.

I thought it was funny and a great bit of advertising for that new Apple Store.
  • Reply 27 of 103
    rbryanhrbryanh Posts: 263member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

At a guess I would say most tech fans are more technically minded.

Is that some new form of sarcasm?

Quote:

Apple products appeal more to people that want something simple.

Like an instantly and transparently accessible Unix subsystem?

Quote:

Microsoft tends to share beta's with the community a year before realse.

Microsoft releases as finished products what any other company would call a beta. Particularly since the dark dawn of Windoze, their motto has been "Why not charge for beta releases? We can always fix it later. Maybe. If forced. Oh never mind, we're MS... We don't care; we don't have to." Vista, for example, was nothing more than an ill-conceived beta release foisted on gullible fan boiz, now mentioned only in terms of "Pay no attention to that OS behind the curtain."

Quote:

Apple gives early access to only a select few.

The select few being anyone who cares to register online as a developer for modest fee. (A fee which, speaking of Vista, is far less than thousands upon thousand of dupes paid to become unwitting, unwilling, unrecompensed, and unthanked beta testers of that particular bit of mindless MS hubris.)

Quote:

Another reason though could just be MS is a lot more diverse in its product range so it will attract more people./QUOTE]

Certainly their incoherent mass of semi-compatible efforts purchased hither and yon and released with great ballyhoo only to be destroyed within a year and forgotten entirely within 18 months has confused a great many people.

Is that what you're talking about?

QUOTE=timgriff84;1875644]Unless its blu-ray. Not that I care much about blu-ray but seems to be a big deal for others.

Finally something we agree on. Blu-ray is a stillborn technology resulting entirely from the thrashing death throws of an entertainment industry desperate to return to the glory days when hustlers, charlatans, and middle men could pretend they deserved the enormous, parasitic salaries they earned for exulting horse sh*t. It's the DAT of the 21st century - far too little, much too late, for no good reason.
  • Reply 28 of 103
    souliisoulsouliisoul Posts: 827member
    Do you really think it is anyone, but Apple lovers who pulled that prank. Steve Jobs would have a small smile, when he sees that video and Ballmar will probably try to sue the pranksters for copyright infringement or stupid patent law, since he has zero concept of publicity.

What would be more funny if someone could line the inside (or wall outside) with a blue curtain to look like a blue screen and put window's logo in middle.
  • Reply 29 of 103
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    I see a lot of people here appreciating this prank, and I agree with them. This was a great prank, especially since it was connected in a way that was easy to fix.

My question, however, is how do you think the general media, and the MS fanboi media, in particular, would have reacted if an Apple fan would have done this to a windows store?

I promise we wouldn't be hearing the end of how people who buy Apple products are just immature, and swayed by the RDF, etc..., etc...
  • Reply 30 of 103
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

I see a lot of people here appreciating this prank, and I agree with them. This was a great prank, especially since it was connected in a way that was easy to fix.

My question, however, is how do you think the general media, and the MS fanboi media, in particular, would have reacted if an Apple fan would have done this to a windows store?

I promise we wouldn't be hearing the end of how people who buy Apple products are just immature, and swayed by the RDF, etc..., etc...

As an Apple customer, an Apple logo on a Microsoft store would make me feel a bit dirty.

But the other way around, as in today's prank, is just good fun.
  • Reply 31 of 103
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    Quote:

How can people love Windows enough to put such a sign on an Apple store? Is it just that they haven't experienced using an Apple computer? Are they just put off by the initial price tag and somehow decide that Apple computers are a rip-off?

I don't believe that anybody using Windows is immune to program freezes, window freezes, defragmenting, constant restarts due to updating programs and anti-virus software, and on and on. If Windows users love doing all that then more power to them, but really, why would anybody like doing that?

I think you may have missed the point of this prank. My take was that the pranksters were cheekily pointing out that Apple is rapidly becoming the new Microsoft, ie, the largest (by market cap) and most powerful technology company in the world. In contrast to the small, upstart company that Apple used to be.

It's the natural (perhaps inevitable) reaction to Apple's remarkable success in recent years. The same thing has happened to google, who were popular with most everyone a few years back, but are now seen as increasingly "evil".

It's had to be both no.1 and the popular underdog! As Apple are starting to find out...
  • Reply 32 of 103
    futuristicfuturistic Posts: 599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiker275 View Post

Maybe I'm missing the joke here... but teutonic humor and tectonic humor aren't quite the same thing.

Geez. Thanks for ruining the joke, Mom.
  • Reply 33 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

As an Apple customer, an Apple logo on a Microsoft store would make me feel a bit dirty.

But the other way around, as in today's prank, is just good fun.

Agreed.
  • Reply 34 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

I think you may have missed the point of this prank. My take was that the pranksters were cheekily pointing out that Apple is rapidly becoming the new Microsoft, ie, the largest (by market cap) and most powerful technology company in the world. In contrast to the small, upstart company that Apple used to be.

It's the natural (perhaps inevitable) reaction to Apple's remarkable success in recent years. The same thing has happened to google, who were popular with most everyone a few years back, but are now seen as increasingly "evil".

It's had to be both no.1 and the popular underdog! As Apple are starting to find out...

Whoa. I didn't even think of it that way. Good insight!
  • Reply 35 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Steve Jobs would have a small smile, when he sees that video

There's an equally good chance that, if Steve had witnessed this as it was happening, lasers would shoot out of his eyes, and these poor guys would be reduced to smoldering puddles on the sidewalk.
  • Reply 36 of 103
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    This would have been so much better with Tux the (Linux) penguin.

Microsoft has shops and marketing, Tux would cause a wtf? pause.
  • Reply 37 of 103
    guch20guch20 Posts: 173member
    Huh...humor must be different on that side of the world. Or maybe this is that new-fangled unfunny humor I've heard so much about.
  • Reply 38 of 103
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

Huh...humor must be different on that side of the world. Or maybe this is that new-fangled unfunny humor I've heard so much about.

Humor is a tricky thing. So much of it culture related and even jokes that kill one generation fall flat in another. You also can't make the joke too simple or too clever. It's a hard balance that put physical humor as probably the only standard that seems to permeate all cultures and generations.
    PS: As I recall, on December 31st for the past 30 years all television stations in Germany play the same British (read: English language) skit repeatedly.
    Why do humans create traditions (and do they form the basis for religion*)?

* If you think I'm questioning your religion, I'm not. I'm only questioning the ones that aren't yours.
  • Reply 39 of 103
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Something Arnold the governator would say.

Is it just me not picking up hints of sarcasm in this reply?
  • Reply 40 of 103
    shoozzshoozz Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Not everyone has those problems with Windows.

If you owned a Mac in the 80s, you would have had a mouse when most people were still typing at the DOS prompt. If you had an iPhone in 2007 you would have had a touch screen when most people were still using clumsy menu buttons. But once Apple enters a market everyone soon copies them, and for that reason Windows is very similar to Mac, and I can understand why some people would like that instead.

But that doesn't change the fact that, by being an Apple customer, you get to use what everyone will be using - 2 years sooner! And as a fan of technology that is what I like.

Not everyone is interested in technology like most of us here are. In fact there are some people who think Windoze is good and Android is awesome. Those type of people just don't know or care to know about technology or the marketplace. You know what they say about ignorance . . .