Pranksters affix Windows logo to upcoming Hamburg Apple Store

Comments

• Reply 41 of 103
    bwana_dikbwana_dik Posts: 85member
    Microsoft has retail stores? I'll be damned. They must be stealth stores.
  • Reply 42 of 103
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bwana_Dik View Post

Microsoft has retail stores? I'll be damned. They must be stealth stores.

Given that they look exactly like Apple Stores, yes, they are 'stealth'.

• Reply 43 of 103
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I thought it was funny, even if it was a viral marketing attempt. My thinking is it will lead to counter-pranks. M$ had better not be behind it. If they are, they are about to be responsible for millions of AppleTards like us plastering every Windows advertisement with fruit stickers!
  • Reply 44 of 103
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    Actually these guys are not Pranksters. They are very zealous Microsoft employees.

They took it real serious when CEO Ballmer ordered them in his best broken German.

"We have to stay on top of Apple. We want to put our Stores as close as possible to them".

They just ran out of options.
  • Reply 45 of 103
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I can't help but the spinning beach ball on an Apple Store being built would have been funnier than the worn out MS v. Apple feud..
    Maybe a little motor behind it to spin the emblem.
  • Reply 46 of 103
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I think it's a great prank. I think the pranksters are actually Apple fans. It's an ironic thing.

I don't know. If they were Apple fans, they would have put "Windows - 2020 version" on the wall.
  • Reply 47 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

I've been wondering about fandom. Most of us come here because we like Apple products and want to hear the latest news. We like Apple products because they work. What I don't get is why anybody would become a fan of Windows. Sure they have some great programs for their OS but the fundamentals of the OS really are

i get a good laugh out of the apple 'it just works' and the people that buy into it. if you have to work with large number of windows machines and mac machines then you know they both have their own amount of suckitude, and their own pluses.

at least people can choose their poison.
  • Reply 48 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shoozz View Post

Not everyone is interested in technology like most of us here are. In fact there are some people who think Windoze is good and Android is awesome. Those type of people just don't know or care to know about technology or the marketplace. You know what they say about ignorance . . .

'ignorance is bliss'. you mean like all the saps that fell and are falling for MACdefender?

their are plenty of retards using os x and plenty of retards using windows.
  • Reply 49 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

i get a good laugh out of the apple 'it just works' and the people that buy into it. if you have to work with large number of windows machines and mac machines then you know they both have their own amount of suckitude, and their own pluses.

at least people can choose their poison.

I don't know of anyone that takes a marketing slogan as canon.

Does Nike just do it?

Is Guinness good for you?

Does Avis actually try harder?

Are diamonds really forever?

Why does Volkswagon think small?

Is Forbes really a tool for capitalists?

Can my fingers really do the walking?

Should you really flaunt it just because you have it?

Will Burger King let me have it my way if my way is free?

Can we not see the beef in Wendy's competitors burgers?

PS: Windows wasn't my idea.
  • Reply 50 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Intel Inside is about the only slogan you can take literally.
  • Reply 51 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Intel Inside is about the only slogan you can take literally.

That's an interesting take. I wonder how many slogans can be taken literally?

I guess we can take Apple's at face value too. "It just works" isn't the same as "It always just works" or a declaration claiming that competitors don't work.
  • Reply 52 of 103
    toestoes Posts: 55member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

Apparently Germany's reputation for leaden, brick-in-the-face humor driven home with a drumroll, a pratfall, and a laugh track is deserved.

Then again, it's really no different than the concrete croissant excuse for wit adored by the booboise the world over. Television: the ultimate stupid pill.

Apparently the "brick-in-the-face" still wasn't strong enough for some people on this forum
  • Reply 53 of 103
    @rbryanh

Awesome replies on replies. Just thought you should know.

• Reply 54 of 103
    Quote:

That's an interesting take. I wonder how many slogans can be taken literally?

I guess we can take Apple's at face value too. "It just works" isn't the same as "It always just works" or a declaration claiming that competitors don't work.

Apple never used that slogan. If I recall, that slogan appeared on an internal powerpoint slide from Microsoft describing Apple.
  • Reply 55 of 103
    Quote:

Does Nike just do it?

Is Guinness good for you?

Does Avis actually try harder?

Are diamonds really forever?

Why does Volkswagon think small?

Is Forbes really a tool for capitalists?

Can my fingers really do the walking?

Should you really flaunt it just because you have it?

Will Burger King let me have it my way if my way is free?

Can we not see the beef in Wendy's competitors burgers?

PS: Windows wasn't my idea.

did you actually read the entire post? you miss this part:Originally Posted by Smallwheels

"I've been wondering about fandom. Most of us come here because we like Apple products and want to hear the latest news. We like Apple products because they work."

apple fans always buy into the hype so why are you downplaying it now? it doesn't fool anyone.
  • Reply 56 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

apple fans always buy into the hype so why are you downplaying it now?

Probably because that's an abject lie, generalization, and subjective.

Quote:

it doesn't fool anyone.

Neither did your post.
  • Reply 57 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Apple never used that slogan. If I recall, that slogan appeared on an internal powerpoint slide from Microsoft describing Apple.

Really? I could swear I've heard Jobs say it more than once, but that's the odd thing about language, often the perceived origin or words and phrases aren't what we think or what've we've been told. I've heard the show Modern Marvels ? which I thorough enjoy ? use false etymology more times than I wish to recall.
  • Reply 58 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmPq00jelpc

it was lifted from jobs constant use of the phrase. this is kinda funny.

"A Mac is designed to give you the best computer experience possible. Because Apple makes both the hardware and the software, everything just works."

while maybe not an 'official' slogan, people most certainly aren't making it up.
  • Reply 59 of 103
    Quote:

Really? I could swear I've heard Jobs say it more than once,

He has, as part of keynotes. It just isn't a slogan that Apple has used. Steve has said it, Apple has used it, but it was never their slogan.
  • Reply 60 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Probably because that's an abject lie, generalization, and subjective.

Neither did your post.

wasn't meant to. it was the truth. (that was meant of the post regarding windows and osx)