Pranksters affix Windows logo to upcoming Hamburg Apple Store

Comments

• Reply 81 of 103
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

What can I say? My Apple computer gets turned off maybe ten times a year. It only needs to be restarted for very rare updates. With my Microsoft machines if I don't restart them every day they begin to crawl. The anti-virus software and Microsoft updates come out almost every other day and require restarting the thing. Sometimes multiple times per day.

I need to keep the Task Manager open all the time because when browsers or programs freeze it is easier to turn them off by ending the process. If the Task Manager weren't open I wouldn't be able to shut down the program without doing a hard shut down. I don't run obscure programs or mess with the registry. Microsoft screws up those things on its own and doesn't need my help to make it run worse.

If I ever add a peripheral device on the Microsoft box I need to find the CD and load the software. Often it takes a long time to follow the set-up procedures. The Apple computer has always had the peripheral software pre-installed. Usually it recognizes the device. Sometimes it needs to check for updates for it and within a minute the device is working.

Too many programs attach themselves to the start up menu in Windows. Every coupe of weeks I need to run MSCONFIG and un-check tons of programs that cause the start-up to take five minutes.

Deleting malfunctioning programs on Windows often is difficult. Due to the malfunction the uninstall button doesn't work. Somehow the uninstall wizard can't locate the malfunctioning program. So far I've not had to uninstall anything and reinstall it on the Apple computer.

So am I "buying into it..." or is this real world experience?

Ubuntu is faster than Windows in every way. It is faster than Leopard in some ways. It is really easy to use. I would say it's easier to use than Leopard. The only problem with it is the initial setup. That takes a long time. Then again, it's FREE.

wow

you out right creamed all the trolls

pow

• Reply 82 of 103
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Really? I could swear I've heard Jobs say it more than once, but that's the odd thing about language, often the perceived origin or words and phrases aren't what we think or what've we've been told. I've heard the show Modern Marvels ? which I thorough enjoy ? use false etymology more times than I wish to recall.

Huh, I stand corrected. It's on The List of Apple Slogans:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Apple_Inc._slogans

• Reply 83 of 103
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Huh, I stand corrected. It's on The List of Apple Slogans:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Apple_Inc._slogans

Yes, but check the reference that they cite. The reference simply claims that it was Apple's slogan, but there's no evidence to support that.

A lot of people believe things that aren't true - especially on Wikipedia.
  • Reply 84 of 103
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

diamonds are forever

LIES! Protons decay! Eventually all diamond will be reduced to its constituent quarks!
  • Reply 85 of 103
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    windoze never looked so good.
  • Reply 86 of 103
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    Well played Windows Fanbois, well played.
  • Reply 87 of 103
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

I don't believe that anybody using Windows is immune to program freezes, window freezes, defragmenting, constant restarts due to updating programs and anti-virus software, and on and on.

i've been using Windows since 1992 and, within the hundreds of thousands of hours of use, your list of issues negatively impacted my computing tasks for, perhaps, a few hours per decade. in other words, the Windows OS is fine.
  • Reply 88 of 103
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

i've been using Windows since 1992 and, within the hundreds of thousands of hours of use, your list of issues negatively impacted my computing tasks for, perhaps, a few hours per decade. in other words, the Windows OS is fine.

Yep, I curse at all computers in equal frequency, however I use Mac 99% of the time. I can definitely find my way around Linux and Windows, probably even more than Mac, mostly because I never need to do anything geeky on Macs. They just work.
  • Reply 89 of 103
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

I think you may have missed the point of this prank. My take was that the pranksters were cheekily pointing out that Apple is rapidly becoming the new Microsoft, ie, the largest (by market cap) and most powerful technology company in the world. In contrast to the small, upstart company that Apple used to be.

It's the natural (perhaps inevitable) reaction to Apple's remarkable success in recent years. The same thing has happened to google, who were popular with most everyone a few years back, but are now seen as increasingly "evil".

It's had to be both no.1 and the popular underdog! As Apple are starting to find out...

Competition is needed to keep everyone honest.
  • Reply 90 of 103
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

This would have been so much better with Tux the (Linux) penguin.

Microsoft has shops and marketing, Tux would cause a wtf? pause.

Tux would be way too nerdy, I reckon.
  • Reply 91 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plankton View Post

I'm told (don't run Windows myself) that the logo color blocks are out of sequence too.

Ironic.

It is! And the flag is leaning to the left instead of the right. (On Windows right now, comparing the prank pic with my Start logo)

Confirms my theory that this is done by Apple fans.
  • Reply 92 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't know of anyone that takes a marketing slogan as canon.

Does Nike just do it?

Is Guinness good for you?

Does Avis actually try harder?

Are diamonds really forever?

Why does Volkswagon think small?

Is Forbes really a tool for capitalists?

Can my fingers really do the walking?

Should you really flaunt it just because you have it?

Will Burger King let me have it my way if my way is free?

Can we not see the beef in Wendy's competitors burgers?

PS: Windows wasn't my idea.

"Windows wasn't my idea" should be the new Windows slogan.

Windows 8

"Wasn't my idea"
  • Reply 93 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

Out of curiosity, what version of MS's OS are you running?

Now Point by Point Analysis

1. Welcome to the wonderful world of UNIX systems. They don't need to be restarted for updates UNLESS the Kernel is being changed.

2. What browsers are you using? IE is unstable and Firefox is a bit of a resource hog. If your having problems with Chrome or Opera, check em out because I have not had any crashes with either.

3. Agree that it's annoying to have to have the CD to setup many things on windows. The instructions however are relatively simple. It doesn't take seconds or minutes, but should never take you more than an hour.

4.UGHHH, My Little sister put all kinds of MSN, AIM, and Oovoo crap on my computer, I can feel your pain on this one

5. If your uninstalling with a malfunctioning Uninstall function? Yes, it's a pain. The weird thing is the only thing I couldn't uninstall was Apple software update which I have NO use for on my PC(Little sister thing again )

Just my thoughts

All of these things occur on both of my Windows OSs. The first was XP and now Vista. At one of my jobs Windows 7 is running on a nearly empty hard drive that only uses Outlook. It's on a Pentium dual core or whatever and it's very slow. I don't mess with it to fix it because I'm not authorized to do it.

On the Vista and XP computers I was using Safari as my main browser until Firefox 4. I switched to it because the Chrome synchronizing didn't work between my computers and Safari doesn't have a version for Ubuntu. The Firefox 4 sync works for all three of my OSs.
  • Reply 94 of 103
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    I'm glad the consensus here seems to be that this was a lighthearted prank. I agree. If they'd done actual damage, that would be one thing. I think it would have been better if they'd hung an orange or a banana... but it's their prank, not mine. They made it easily removable. No harm done.
  • Reply 95 of 103
    kyle172kyle172 Posts: 64member
    Erinnert mich, wenn sie zu fälschen Michael Jackson versuchte aufzustehen und zu Fuß aus einem Sarg lol

Reminds me when they tried to fake Micheal Jackson getting up and walking out of a casket lol
  • Reply 96 of 103
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

They just work.

yes. this applies to all operating systems that are currently available on the market.
  • Reply 97 of 103
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yes, but check the reference that they cite. The reference simply claims that it was Apple's slogan, but there's no evidence to support that.

A lot of people believe things that aren't true - especially on Wikipedia.

Hmm...perhaps the wiki edit was done by the same German pranksters!
  • Reply 98 of 103
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    What happened to german efficiency ? They put it up wrong.
  • Reply 99 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

But in a much wider scope. I used to manage Novell servers, many of which had hundreds of hours between outages. As soon as we implemented Active Directory we had to move to mandatory reboots on the Windows servers on average once a week. I've been actively using Windows since 1990 and sporatically prior to that. I was one of those guys who did some independent development in the background to bring more customization and features to Win 3.0 - until I found I could make more money in tech support for Windows. I had all of my Wndows installs tricked out to cover pretty much every issue out there (TG for Win7 - it has allowed me to offline many of the work-arounds), including a "recovery box" on my home network that polled running state for my Windows machines, and reimaged the ones that were "broken". I've also had Macs since 1987 (MacSE, followed later by the SE/30) and while the early ones were nearly as challenged as Windows for networking and vulnerability, my Macs since OSX have run much more smoothly in all respects than my Windows machines, without of course my intervention.

And to provide a counter personal anecdote to your experience, my neighbor loves her Sony laptop. She buys a new one about every 18 months or so (at around $3000 per machine) because "it just stops working" We all know what that impact is, but she refuses blithely to allow me to adjust her setup to smooth out the rough spots. Ultimately she just loves getting a new laptop and doesn't care that she is bleeding money.
  • Reply 100 of 103
    robrerobre Posts: 56member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiker275 View Post

Maybe I'm missing the joke here... but teutonic humor and tectonic humor aren't quite the same thing. Or is this play on words concerning tectonic plates characteristic of German humor????

These guys are dead serious - in sending a message to Microsoft. They want real brick & mortar Windows stores - instead of pathetic TV ads in which people's homes are turned into stores.