Apple may freeze new Mac introductions until release of Mac OS X Lion

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bourgoises Pig View Post

The entire "Cloud" idea might be "nice" for consumers, but it is stupid for businesses. Read the fine print of the service contract. Companies that offer "cloud" services state that they are not responsible for any corruption/loss of data. The end user also surrenders ultimate ownership and control of the data to the Cloud owners. Federal/State/Local governments may also be restricted by laws that state that government data must reside on government servers. No Cloud for them!

Apple is too busy with consumer handheld devices to care about the enterprise. Apple got rid of XServe. Is the Cloud supposed to replace the Xserve and the concept of having Apple products in the server room. If not, then are businesses expected to continue to use Microsoft servers for file and print. OD is crap. Anyone who has used both OD and AD know what I mean. It would be ideal if Apple could merge OD into Apple Remote Desktop and also release an updated version of Xserve. Exchange is an unpredictable, bloated piece of garbage. Sadly, Apple has zero interest in competing with Exchange. Apple should kill Exchange by offering a free, robust, feature-filled e-mail server. Does Apple want to kick Microsoft out of the server room, or not?\

*****By the way, does anyone know how I can delete my accounts from AppleInsider? Emailing the admin (Jambo) triggers ZERO response. Thank you.

In my dream world filled with unicorns and rainbows, Apple discontinued the Xserve to make room for a new server/enterprise strategy, which iCloud is currently running on?brand new, Apple-designed server hardware, and in 2012, they'll spring them on the world, saying, "Just to show you how confident we are in the power and stability of these new servers?they are the very same hardware powering iCloud. They're infinitely scalable so you can use them to power your small business or multinational corporate empire! And they're starting at just $999 for the base model."

But in the real world, probably not. Sigh. As much a fan as I am of Apple, some of their decisions leave me scratching my head sometimes. Well, more than sometimes.
  • Reply 122 of 134
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Steve Jobs explicitly stated why they were discontinuing the Xserve: "No one was buying them." It's not some anti-enterprise crusade.
  • Reply 123 of 134
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by commun5 View Post

A lot of folks will say: No Rosetta, no Lion.

I've never once had a need for Rosetta. I made a decision early on when I got my MBP not to dwell on old software anymore than I had to.
  • Reply 124 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Io5 delayed. Almost 4month after schedule

There was never an announced delivery schedule for IOS5. More so considering how they screwed up previous releases maybe it is better to wait until it is done.

Quote:

Iphone 5 delayed because Ios5 delayed

Maybe maybe not, IPhone 4 is still state of the art so why the rush?

Quote:

Ipad2 still has huge production problems. Was about 2 month late when released.

By my recollection it was released early. even if I'm wrong Apple never announced a fixed release schedule for this device. Frankly they have never announced a fixed schedule for anything.

Quote:

The new Imac: People who ordered custom build SSD imacs has waited 4-6 weeks and still not got the imacs

Actually that does suck.

Quote:

no macmini refresh for a year

A machine that has NEVER received much attention from Apple.

Quote:

no macbook air refresh almost a year

No chips to refresh it with either. It amazes me that some people can't take the time to look at Intels public schedules and then figure out what is up from there!!!!!

Quote:

no macbook refresh almost a year

I'm actually wondering where Apple will go with the MacBook. What ever they do I think it will be repositioned significantly.

Quote:

no macpro refresh over a year. New intel CPUs released 2 month ago. MacPro usually got newest CPU a couple of month before official release.

Not significant for this machine.

Quote:

Ipod classic not updated for almost 2 years. There are hard drives that could enable a 320gig model.

Actually I wonder about this one too.

Quote:

Time capsule has not been updated for years. 3 terra disk available.

Yeah but Time capsule was and is a poor approach to most peoples back up needs. Time Capsule really needs to be refactored.

Quote:

How shall Apple do if they want to have a release window of 3-4 weeks between products?

On time?: Ipod touch. ipod nano, appleTV take3

If you are doing anything significant there is no such thing as on time. You can count hundreds of companies that have failed over the years due to focusing on schedules that forced nothing new onto their customers.

Quote:

To be introduced 2011:

AppleTV LCD version

And you know this is a product how?

Quote:

q1 2012

Ipad3. (they have to wait for 28nm ARM processors)

So you blame Apple for technologies slow move forward? Seriously?

What you seem to mis is that Apple can shrink the current "A" SOC down to 28 or even smaller processes if they really want to. There is this thing called economics you know, that along with available technology dictates what Apple can put into a product at a given price point.

Quote:

Stupidity: Kill of Xserver Xraid

Well if it isn't selling then it killed off itself. However I really think it is the wrong product for future needs. Xraid looked towards the past not the future.

Quote:

Apple builds computer centre for 500 million and uses HP servers instead of Xserve/Xraid. I would sell my Apples shares if I find out that they use windows server.

You buy the hardware suitable for the task at hand. Apple is not and never has been a server manufacture. Even XServe wasn't really suitable for a modern data center.

Quote:

Fun: Steves current obsession is Retina displays and Anoretic computers. Lets hope for an all retina display lineup. From Iphone to 30 inch cinema display.

Again you can hope all you want but Apple can only ship what can be currently manufactured.

Quote:

Sad: Apple computer is dead. Its all about Ios/Iphone/Ipad. I know that Apple make most of its money from Iphone. The backlash against Apple has started with fAndroid. Using 5 year old CPUs in many computers is not good.

yet Apple has some of the most advanced and capable laptops of any manufacture out there. Further the quality of these machines is reflected in the rapid advancement of sales. AS for this crap about 5 year old CPU's you need to get a grip on reality, Apple can only ship what is available and suitable for the machine at hand.

Quote:

interesting: Apples exclusive agreement with intel runs out any day now. After that Apple can use AMD/ARM cpus in their lineup.

ARM CPU's in a Mac, I seriously doubt that. Especially if you are up to speed on where AMD is going with its Fusion processors. I'd actually like to see spread out supplier wise and build a serious Mini based on AMD's new Fusion processors as frankly they outperform the Sandy Bridge chips in many ways. Ways that are frankly important to the average Mac user.

Now I'm sure that in your darkness you will find a way to see the use of an AMD chip in a negative sense. Frankly I would see this as a personality defect myself.
  • Reply 125 of 134
    I understand 100% the issue with money, however that is no excuse when it comes to the Mac. There is plenty of software out there that is free to use on the Mac. Some of it is due to the Macs underlying UNIX system and thus might be a little odd to use but it is there. Other software is written with the Mac GUI in mind so you loose nothing there.

One place for such software is Mac Ports (which I don't recommend) another is the HomeBrew project. I actually like HomeBrew even though it isn't as robustly stocked with apps. Beyond these two services you have a bunch of free software than is more Mac oriented that can be found with a little searching.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by njmax View Post

"Lion comes out next month, so it makes sense for Apple to wait a month until they release new models. It's a no brainer. And for anybody complaining about rosetta, get with the times and step into the new century."

Well, I would love to "step into the new century", but that can be a challenge when you are on a budget. I would love to buy the latest and greatest of everything, but have to pace my self and my wallet.

The other thing here is that Apple via App Store for the Mac is having significant pressure on application software pricing. More importantly unbundling saves you significantly. Still paying for commercial software is a pain in the butt if you don't use it extensively.

One final solution is to write your own software. Granted this isn't for everybody but it is a viable solution to some problems.

So what I'm saying is that yeah I understand software is a significant expense, however that isn't always an excuse if viable free solutions can be found.
  • Reply 126 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why? When everyone has Thunderbolt, no one will NEED a USB adapter.

I'm not sure why people believe that TB is or will be competing with USB3. It is an entirely different ball game played on a different field. It is like saying Basketball will kill off Baseball. Frankly I've seen nothing to indicate that Apple thinks TB will replace USB, if they did the laptops would have come with more than one TB port.
  • Reply 127 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alonglongusername View Post

Hi,

Can anybody explain the benefits of Lion to me?

Apple lists 250 new features. If you can't find anything of value to you in that list then don't buy.

Quote:

As far as I can see, it would turn my iMac into a 24" iPad - but without a touch screen.

That statement is just ignorant. Look at Apples feature list, if you can't grasp the improvements then you really shouldn't be posting here.

Quote:

And I believe it's lost iSync - so no more synching my Nokia phone.

Buy a real phone.

Quote:

Really - what's the point?

Mr Puzzled

Puzzled isn't the word I'd use here.
  • Reply 128 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Lion is schmick. It's my favorite OS X ever, and not just because it's newest (I don't believe newer is always better), but because it's *polished*. It's like, they spent 10.0 to 10.5 adding major features to catch up with their competitors, 10.6 to improve performance, and 10.7 is where they get to have some fun.

There was certainly a lot of catching up to be done so your thoughts might be right one here. My only concern is how it will run on my early 2008 MBP. Given that I will update right away anyways. Lion has something for everyone and for most people will be a considerable improvement in multiple ways.
  • Reply 129 of 134
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

Steve Jobs explicitly stated why they were discontinuing the Xserve: "No one was buying them." It's not some anti-enterprise crusade.

Did Apple make an honest effort to listen to what enterprise markets were looking for in Mac servers? Or were the Xserve and Apple's enterprise sales group purposely set up to fail?

Also, did Steve Jobs seriously expect Xserves to outnumber iMacs and iPhones? This is like expecting companies to have more servers than end user systems. If so, then Steve should step down as CEO because there is only one of him in the entire company.
  • Reply 130 of 134
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

My only concern is how it will run on my early 2008 MBP.

So far? Quite well. That's Preview 4 Update 1 on a 15" Penryn pre-Unibody for me.
  • Reply 131 of 134
    blecchblecch Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It's the PC industry that has been caught in a standstill while Apple has seen industry-leading growth. With an install base now at 54-plus-million active users around the world, the Mac saw 28 percent year over year growth last quarter, while the entirety of the PC market shrank 1 percent.

Dear AppleInsider,

Could you please use the phrase "installed base" rather than "install base?"

It's the traditional, literate phrase, and it's also what Apple uses. ;-)

Thanks.
  • Reply 132 of 134
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

You buy the hardware suitable for the task at hand. Apple is not and never has been a server manufacture. Even XServe wasn't really suitable for a modern data center.

When PC Magazine uses Macs for their layouts or when Microsoft's Windows ads are created on Macs, people on this forum say "Ha ha, even Microsoft can't use their own products". But when Apple does the same thing, they are just "using the hardware suitable for the task at hand". Do we have a double standard here?
  • Reply 133 of 134
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Apple gave up on servers for enterprise. They're just not interested in the back end, and I think Steve is tired from being burned by the enterprise and fighting to get in through what he himself calls "gatekeepers".

They're happy to go in through the front with consumers bringing iPhone and iPad to the enterprise. In this regard Apple is not going to bend over backwards to suit every company but they are listening and are gradually improving enterprise "features" with each iOS revision and device.

With each day more companies will embrace iPad. That's Apple's "enterprise push" at the moment.
  • Reply 134 of 134
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Apple gave up on servers for enterprise. They're just not interested in the back end, and I think Steve is tired from being burned by the enterprise and fighting to get in through what he himself calls "gatekeepers".

Yes, I think the gatekeepers issue is a key point. If Apple were simply anti server side, as some seem to suggest, presumably there would not even *be* a server version of Lion. But there is, only it is targeted at small business. This suggests they actually have no problem selling server side products, but only if they can have a direct relationship with the end-user (not the IT department).