Apple seeds Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Golden Master to developers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 152
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Which looks more advanced?

or this?

I think Apple may have dropped the ball on this one.
  • Reply 22 of 152
    kingkueikingkuei Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gronald View Post

So, could someone with GM let us know if one can make a stand-alone installer that could be transferred to an external device/DVD? Or did Apple nix that since prior versions . . . .?

thanks

I second this. I too am hoping Apple has retained the option to burn a physical recovery media. Would be nice to be able to make it a USB flash drive too as it's much faster and more versatile.

But I have to imagine that if Apple is going to ship Macs with Lion, that they would include recovery media as they have always done in the event that the HD is replaced or reformatted such that a recovery partition is unusable.
  • Reply 23 of 152
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

or this?

You jest, right?

The power, flexibility and ease of use of Lion is astounding. It takes only seconds to get used to the new multi touch gestures. There is far more to it than a few tiles.
  • Reply 24 of 152
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You jest, right?

The power, flexibility and ease of use of Lion is astounding. It takes only seconds to get used to the new multi touch gestures. There is far more to it than a few tiles.

I'm already running windows 8 on my iPad2, sort of. I have bing, which is of course by MS, and that app reminds me of windows 8 with all of the tiles.
  • Reply 25 of 152
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:

From a gut reaction looking at the two side-by-side, it seems that Windows 8 tries to present all of your fragments of information in a big grid while Lion works to let you focus even better on one thing at a time. Unity vs. focus.

For me Windows, like Android, tries to be all things to all people and give me everything it can show me. It's like drinking from a fire hydrant. I can't get work done that way because it's too distracting: too fragmented. I get pulled from one thing to another without ever really engaging any of the tasks.

Lion, on the other hand, allows me to bring each task into even greater focus; thus enabling me to do a higher quality job in a quicker timeframe without losing any of the pieces in my task list.

Your preference will dictate what you purchase and use, and mine is Lion.
  • Reply 26 of 152
    W8 has the same gestures. It also has "live tiles" which are more useful than icons.

Most importantly, it finally moved past the desktop metaphor that is over 25 years old and Apple still uses.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You jest, right?

• Reply 27 of 152
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I'll wait for Golden Master #2
  • Reply 28 of 152
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Not even.

W8 has the same gestures. It also has "live tiles" which are more useful than icons.

Most importantly, it finally moved past the desktop metaphor that is over 25 years old and Apple still uses.

Haha. Windows 8 looks like it's made for really stupid and simple people. It just looks like a bunch of big widgets shaped like tiles on your desktop, providing real useful info such as the weather.

And how much is that crap going to cost? As we all know, Lion will be $29. Only a fool would shell out good money to downgrade their OS and get a couple of tiles on their desktop instead. We all know how much MS charges for their operating systems.
  • Reply 29 of 152
    My IQ is 143 and I think it's awesome

What it's doing is giving you an customized overview of the various things in your life. It's sweet that I can see my next appointment without launching the calendar, new emails without launching mail, weather without launching weather, etc.

It's all very efficient... "glance and go"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Haha. Windows 8 looks like it's made for really stupid and simple people. It just looks like a bunch of big widgets shaped like tiles on your desktop, providing real useful info such as the weather.

And how much is that crap going to cost? As we all know, Lion will be $29. Only a fool would shell out good money to downgrade their OS and get a couple of tiles on their desktop instead. We all know how much MS charges for their operating systems.

• Reply 30 of 152
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The amount M$ charges for their OS is likely to change either. It is how they make their money, it is what they are known for. Apple is known for a complete solutions.
  • Reply 31 of 152
    Quote:

What it's doing is giving you an customized overview of the various things in your life. It's sweet that I can see my next appointment without launching the calendar, new emails without launching mail, weather without launching weather, etc.

To me, it's too much detailed information in a small area. I prefer apple's method in that I can select which information to focus on.

But this is what makes the world go'round.
  • Reply 32 of 152
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

I dunno about dropping the ball, I think WP7 / Win 8 have an interesting look and I think that they may even mark the first time in MS' history when it has advanced the state of the art of UI design.

That doesn't mean that Apple failed though - Apple has always gone with a more minimal approach, MS has always gone with a more busy and colourful approach.

Win 8 is good in a very MS way, but I'm not sure I actually want that way of presenting data - especially as it may come with a cost in terms of battery life.
  • Reply 33 of 152
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

to me, it's too much detailed information in a small area. I prefer apple's method in that i can select which information to focus on.

But this is what makes the world go'round.

+1
  • Reply 34 of 152
    jamiecjamiec Posts: 42member
    Quote:

Please don't do that.
  • Reply 35 of 152
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Wow, you could get a job as an Apple genius, although I'm sure you are also a bizillionaire.
  • Reply 36 of 152
    dooghdoogh Posts: 37member
    If we are a developer and we install the GM, will we have to worry about Lion on release? Or do we already have the release version?
  • Reply 37 of 152
    acslater017acslater017 Posts: 424member
    Quote:

or this?

1) Lion is shipping next week. For all we know Windows 8 could be a year or two away.

2) The Windows 8 demo got a mixed reception at best. Essentially Windows 7 with a WP7 dashboard on top.

3) For what it's worth, I think Lion looks a lot better! Multitouch gestures that are ready to go, software and hardware. Tasteful aesthetics. Moves the user experience forward with auto save, Versions, Mission Control, etc.

4) Apple is rarely the first to do anything. MS beat Apple to the tablet party by 8 years, but that meant nothing obviously.
  • Reply 38 of 152
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

No it's not very efficient IMO. I think the key to efficiency is more akin to David Allen's GTD theory in which you spend a bit more effort to flesh out a task (due dates, context and more) and then you focus on dispatching tasks in a more serial fashion.

Windows 8's tiles invite information overload. If I've properly set up my calendar it will notify me of my next important scheduled even ..I don't need to constantly see it.

I think Apple's strategy with Lion and full screen is refreshing. Open up an app....let it take the "full" focus of your attention and then move on to something else. I think it's more in line with how humans process and dispatch tasks.
  • Reply 39 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoogH View Post

If we are a developer and we install the GM, will we have to worry about Lion on release? Or do we already have the release version?

Odds are there will be some other releases before it gets officially released. They will be very minor updates. But I wouldn't worry about that as I'm sure software update will have you covered for future updates.
  • Reply 40 of 152
    Quote:

Nah, like someone else already noted, different strokes for different folks. Personally, I find the W8 interface interesting, but I think I would find it annoying to have to dis-engage (for lack of a better description) the tiles/main interface to actually get to the computing components of W8. Not sure how many clicks, swipes, etc, it will take, but for me personally, I can set widgets and things to provide that same info to me immediately if/when I want it and always have the computing environment available, and that's the way I would prefer to work. I mean they are, after all, "computers", right? If all I wanted was a device to present information via widgets, I'd buy a tablet or something of the sort.

Others have also mentioned the price aspect, and I agree - it will be interesting to see what MS charges for W8...