Apple seeds Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Golden Master to developers

Comments

• Reply 101 of 152
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Until you mentioned this I couldn't put my finger on where I'd seen that "tiled" display before.

I remember back in the System 8 and OS 9 cays there was something called IIRC the Simple Finder was for youngsters and had no text but these huge icons all lined up like W8 does.

Actually, I believe what you're referring to was Apple's "AtEase," which was basically a kid-friendly GUI atop the standard System GUI. We had Macs in our grade school and they all had this interface to prevent kids from actually accessing the main desktop and messing things up.
  • Reply 102 of 152
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Apple better get that data center online before they release Lion. The download speed is is really slow for the GM seed. I have a 5 Mbps connection but I'm only getting around 1 from Apple. It has taken literally all day and still not done with a 3.74 GB download. This will really be a an issue for many people which is clearly why they are waiting to release any new hardware updates until they can ship it with Lion installed. A new switcher would be very upset if they had to go through what is now a multi-hour download just to get the latest OS. We Apple veterans tend to be a little more forgiving.
  • Reply 103 of 152
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Wow, you could get a job as an Apple genius, although I'm sure you are also a bizillionaire.

He's probably too busy writing riddles for Batman.

The sad thing is due to the dumbing down of this country, an IQ of 150 is what used to be pretty average. I certainly wouldn't brag about it any more than a SAT score of 1300
  • Reply 104 of 152
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

Apparently, Mac OS X is not designed for stupid and simple people, unlike Windows 8, which does have resolution independence.

Well o wouldn't go as far with the irony, but of course I can't blame you for being sarcastic here.

What the hell is going on with ri apple?
  • Reply 105 of 152
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by strobe View Post

He's probably too busy writing riddles for Batman.

The sad thing is due to the dumbing down of this country, an IQ of 150 is what used to be pretty average. I certainly wouldn't brag about it any more than a SAT score of 1300

Sorry mods: Way off topic... I had to laugh at your post and you didn't even see the irony of it I guess.

In the land of statistics the intelligence quotient, IQ, is represented on a distribution curve graphically. The result is a gaussian or bell curve, i.e. shaped like a bell with both the + and - sides the same shape only mirrored when the distribution of a large enough sample population's test results are displayed.

The median point is by definition 100, i.e. that is the dead center of the bell curve. That it to say, most people in a sample have a result of 100 so is the 'average' and always has been. Since the shape of the graph is a bell, for every test result of 110 there is one of 90 and so on. A result of 150 would be well down the right side of the distribution curve i.e. few tests would reflect that high and for every one that did there would be the same number with 50. The very shape of the graph demonstrates how few there are at 150 or 50 since the vast majority are up around 100.

I make no claims to the validity of such tests, I simply wanted to point out your misunderstanding of the term IQ .

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

I wish, I knew what my IQ is. But I can't count that far.

Good one
  • Reply 106 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Cool it with the personal attack.

Soli, does iLife 11 work OK in the GM? I see it isn't included in Lion's GM itself. I may be dreaming but didn't all previous OS X releases include iLife. I'm guessing it is split due to downloading sizes and users will be lead to the App Store to add them for free? Or are they now additional costs albeit low. Sorry I've been away for weeks and out of touch
  • Reply 107 of 152
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Sorry mods: Way off topic... I had to laugh at your post and you didn't even see the irony of it I guess.

In the land of statistics the intelligence quotient, IQ, is represented on a distribution curve graphically. The result is a gaussian or bell curve, i.e. shaped like a bell with both the + and - sides the same shape only mirrored when the distribution of a large enough sample population's test results are displayed.

The median point is by definition 100, i.e. that is the dead center of the bell curve. That it to say, most people in a sample have a result of 100 so is the 'average' and always has been. Since the shape of the graph is a bell, for every test result of 110 there is one of 90 and so on. A result of 150 would be well down the right side of the distribution curve i.e. few tests would reflect that high and for every one that did there would be the same number with 50. The very shape of the graph demonstrates how few there are at 150 or 50 since the vast majority are up around 100.

I'll add a few things:

0) I believe Mensa (<== not an acronym) takes the top 3% from each time they test, not those with a certain score or better.

1) Anyone who uses an IQ test to justify their own intelligence isn't very bright.

1) French psychologist Alfred Binot's design of the test wasn't to find those who are "more intelligent" but to locate those that were naturally disadvantaged. He clearly noted the limitations of his test and wrote extensively about the potential for it to be abused.

2) Can you guess what happened when it came to the US via Henry Goddard and then further bastardized by Standford's Lewis Terman as the Stanford-Binet Intelligence Test? Yep, eugenics movement. Binet was pissed as his test wasn't designed for and not suited for that purpose.

3) I can't wait for the BBC show Q.I. (Quite Interesting) hosted by Stephen Fry to start back up. Love that show. Too bad it's the kind of show that would never work in the US market.
  • Reply 108 of 152
    Quote:

Soli, does iLife 11 work OK in the GM? I see it isn't included in Lion's GM itself. I may be dreaming but didn't all previous OS X releases include iLife. I'm guessing it is split due to downloading sizes and users will be lead to the App Store to add them for free? Or are they now additional costs albeit low. Sorry I've been away for weeks and out of touch

5) Yeah, my iPhoto and Garageband seem to work fine. I haven't tested the other apps.

8) iLife isn't part of Mac OS X unless you are buying a new Mac, then it comes bundled. Otherwise it's a separate purchase and install. It's been this way since the start, unless you bought one of the boxed sets that included both (or all, if go to when iWork was added to the mix).
  • Reply 109 of 152
    Quote:

5) Yeah, my iPhoto and Garageband seem to work fine. I haven't tested the other apps.

8) iLife isn't part of Mac OS X unless you are buying a new Mac, then it comes bundled. Otherwise it's a separate purchase and install. It's been this way since the start, unless you bought one of the boxed sets that included both (or all if go to when iWork was added to the mix).

Oh right, I am mixing up new Mac with new OS. Thanks, I'll give it a whirl on a clone with hundreds of apps and start testing ... .
  • Reply 110 of 152
    Quote:

I'll add a few things:

0) I believe Mensa (<== not an acronym) takes the top 3% from each time they test, not those with a certain score or better.

1) Anyone who uses an IQ test to justify their own intelligence isn't very bright.

1) French psychologist Alfred Binot's design of the test wasn't to find those who are "more intelligent" but to locate those that were naturally disadvantaged. He clearly noted the limitations of his test and wrote extensively about the potential for it to be abused.

2) Can you guess what happened when it came to the US via Henry Goddard and then further bastardized by Standford's Lewis Terman as the Stanford-Binet Intelligence Test? Yep, eugenics movement. Binet was pissed as his test wasn't designed for and not suited for that purpose.

3) I can't wait for the BBC show Q.I. (Quite Interesting) hosted by Stephen Fry to start back up. Love that show. Too bad it's the kind of show that would never work in the US market.

Mensa taking the top % not a score makes perfect sense if they want a wide array of representatives but not pure high IQ since the scores are only relative to any one particular sample not across samples. One sample may have all people of below average and another above, thus their members would have a potential differential. Not that I'd ever really given that much thought before. I had to take such a test at Uni in a Psych class just so we could see what it was all about. My score was quite good but I was shocked to discover I'd turned over two pages by accident and missed a section. I was daft (and young) enough to ask if that could be taken into account and was told by the smiling lecturer ... "The pages were numbered. It already has." The entire class collapsed laughing.

I wonder if that show might make it here via the net somehow. I so wish the BBC would run a NetFlix type option for overseas viewers, all the content for a monthly fee.
  • Reply 111 of 152
    Quote:

Mensa taking the top % not a score makes perfect sense if they want a wide array of representatives but not pure high IQ since the scores are only relative to any one particular sample not across samples. One sample may have all people of below average and another above, thus their members would have a potential differential. Not that I'd ever really given that much thought before. I had to take such a test at Uni in a Psych class just so we could see what it was all about. My score was quite good but I was shocked to discover I'd turned over two pages by accident and missed a section. I was daft (and young) enough to ask if that could be taken into account and was told by the smiling lecturer ... "The pages were numbered. It already has." The entire class collapsed laughing.

I wonder if that show might make it here via the net somehow. I so wish the BBC would run a NetFlix type option for overseas viewers, all the content for a monthly fee.

They need to get with the BBC on that and the BC would probably have you go to their site so unless it's been DVD for Region 1 or on BBC America I think it's unlikely.

I do, however, have access to the shows the day they air via newsgroups and torrents. Nothing will stand in the way between trivia -and- British humour.
  • Reply 112 of 152
    Quote:

They need to get with the BBC on that and the BC would probably have you go to their site so unless it's been DVD for Region 1 or on BBC America I think it's unlikely.

I do, however, have access to the shows the day they air via newsgroups and torrents. Nothing will stand in the way between trivia -and- British humour.

I'm glad to hear you and other Americans get it (the humor that is)! I have had to use it far less since I moved here 22 years ago ... as the Archbishop said to the actress.
  • Reply 113 of 152
    Quote:

I'm glad to hear you and other American's get it (the humor that is)! I have had to use it far less since I moved here 22 years ago ... as the Archbishop said to the actress.

The Office (US) has made the phrase "That's what she said" quite popular. Wikipedia has a decent write up on the etymology of your phrasing which I think everyone should read.
    PS: I can't help but think of Edmund Blackadder's "Black Russian" codpiece in Series 1, Episode 3 "The Archbishop."
  • Reply 114 of 152
    taddtadd Posts: 136member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

Actually, I believe what you're referring to was Apple's "AtEase," which was basically a kid-friendly GUI atop the standard System GUI. We had Macs in our grade school and they all had this interface to prevent kids from actually accessing the main desktop and messing things up.

yeah. AtEase predated the "simple finder" which looked very much like it. AtEase was something elementary schools used. As I recall it had some multi-machine features for making a teacher's life easier as well.

On another topic, I think it is funny that Microsoft is reported to be trying to abandon the desktop metaphor that Apple had before MS did.

Steve Jobs has been trying to get us to move to full-screen applications since OSX beta, or before with Next (I never saw a real NEXT). That's 14 to 21 years ago? The hue and cry against losing the multiple-windows-at-a-time modality was so big with Mac users that later versions of X.0 more or less simulated MacOS. I was not surprised when iPhone came out with full-screen applications. Eventually us Apple users will give in to what Steve Jobs wanted back in the Next days.

I love the whole iOS vs Android vs Windows-Mobile vs WebOS war. This harkens back to the days when every computer hardware vendor had its own OS and migrating from one hardware manufacturer to another meant changing OSs. Back in the day (doncha love that phrase?) I had my several applications running on multiple computers because the computer which did word-processing didn't compile-and-link and the neither would replace VT100 or ADM300. Getting a new computer meant servicing a need that just didn't run on one of the existing computers.

The thing I really loved about MacOS, and which Microsoft completely failed to get when they copied MacOS, and also which iOS doesn't permit! is the idea of keeping related files organized together even though the files were used and created by different applications. Further, MacOS let us have icons which showed kind of file it was. The name would tell us what the file contained, the icon would tell us what kind of file it was. Pointless glitz took away what the icon meant. Doh.

Sorry for the rant, it got away from me (I'm not sorry).
  • Reply 115 of 152
    taddtadd Posts: 136member
    Quote:

It speeds up the time between GM and release by at least a couple weeks. If this is really the GM then it could come as early as next week.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

This lends credence to the rumours about the launch being next week then. I'm hoping that is indeed the case, I want me some OS X Lion-y goodness.

Somebody in the media said last week that they had been given an advance copy and that it was to come out to the public on the 5th or 6th. I was rather stunned that media people would GET an advance copy while being loose lipped enough to say anything that Apple hadn't said directly. I was possibly more stunned by this than the idea I would have this gem in only a couple of days
  • Reply 116 of 152
    Quote:

The Office (US) has made the phrase "That's what she said" quite popular. Wikipedia has a decent write up on the etymology of your phrasing which I think everyone should read.
    PS: I can't help but think of Edmund Blackadder's "Black Russian" codpiece in Series 1, Episode 3 "The Archbishop."

Thanks. BTW reversing that phrase is not often seen and we get extra points.
  • Reply 117 of 152
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    Quote:

I make no claims to the validity of such tests, I simply wanted to point out your misunderstanding of the term IQ .

Oh, I understand it, but an IQ of 100 is only for the current medium of dumbasses. It's not impressive, at least not to me.
  • Reply 118 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by strobe View Post

Oh, I understand it, but an IQ of 100 is only for the current medium of dumbasses. It's not impressive, at least not to me.

I don't know any mediums, aren't they smart? A 100 score is simply the average of the people tested in any given sample (which has to be large enough to be valid). Nothing more nothing less. It is not there to impress or otherwise, it is just a statistic. Nor is IQ proven to be the be all and end all of measurements in peoples' abilities. You could for example have a person who is very 'smart' but lousy at taking tests. Or you could have a person with a high IQ that believes in Intelligent Design
  • Reply 119 of 152
    For those interested in this topic and other biological determinisms that attempt to prove "worth can be assigned to individuals and groups by measuring intelligence as a single quantity" check out Stephen Jay Gould's excellent book The Mismeasure of Man.
  • Reply 120 of 152
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:

I'll add a few things:

Top 2% of any standardized test.

Quote:

Plus they usually inflate it when they use it in such a way.

Quote:

You're absolutely right with these observations and factors. I recall briefly reading some of this back in a college Psych course. I had a non-blood-related aunt who was part of the Terman project at Stanfoo. Though bright she couldn't keep herself away from the bottle. Sad.

Quote:

I can't believe how such shows never make it over here. It's a combination of several factors, including our Puritan hangups about sex, Federal regulations on what can or cannot be shown on TV, and the general lack of certain aspects in our sense of humor. I can recall watching "Spitting Image" in the UK in the 80s, and was thrilled to learn later that it would appear here. Trouble was, it had to be dumbed down and it wasn't funny at all. Colossal flop. I've got the entire series of Fawlty Towers, Are You Being Served, and 'Allo 'Allo, and can't get enough of them. Hopefully BBC America will distribute DVDs of QI as it sounds, um, quite interesting.