Rumor: Apple may release 'iPad 2 Plus' with high-res display this year

Comments

• Reply 41 of 107
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Erm - aren't you just saying that OS-X isn't yet resolution independent? Nobody said OS-X was. Full RI came to iOS first, which makes sense because most Apps on OS-X run in windows, and so a suddenly larger screen doesn't blow them up. I think a big part of why it's coming in Lion is that Lion is bringing in full screen Apps.

Finally OS-X will be able to do everything my commodore amiga could in 1990

I'm saying Mac OS and iOS are, but that doesn't mean there is no work to be done when HiDPI displays appear.
  • Reply 42 of 107
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,726member
    I bought an iPad2 and barely use it. I'd rather have a 13 or 15 MBA with the super-hi-res screen as MBP CD is getting long in the tooth and needs a battery.
  • Reply 43 of 107
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

I bought an iPad2 and barely use it.

You ≠ World.

Sell it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

I'd rather have a 13 or 15 MBA with the super-hi-res screen as MBP CD is getting long in the tooth and needs a battery.

It is not either/or.
  • Reply 44 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

As soon as you start interrupting replacement cycles with unexpected product updates, you risk consumer inertia with people postponing purchase because they believe the next model is just around the corner.

You are spot on.

Apple will also get into a market expectations trap..... people will look for half-yearly cycles of new product announcements.
  • Reply 45 of 107
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astoessel View Post

It should not be seen as an iPad 3... but probably more as a High-End iPad 2 targeting the high-end segment or the pro-segment where HD res might be appealing. For the moment, iPad offering is pretty basic on a marketing stand-point and Apple might start differentiating a bit the various segments the way they did with the iPod mini/nano/shuffle/touch...

In addition, it might provide some pretty good test bench for developers to start building higher res apps that could potentially become mainstream with an iPad 3 sometimes next year.

Thank you for stating this so reasonably. I, on the other hand, am not so reasonable.

I think Apple HAS to do this as soon as they possibly can, never mind the schedule or the competition, because they are driven by the aesthetic and technical challenges first, and they know that certain people, a lot of people, will want it when they see it. Desperately want it.

Not everybody. There are still many who can get along with the 3GS phone, but the susceptible ones cannot ever go back once they've seen the Retina screen.

A double-res iPad will be irresistible to anyone who cares about photography, video, film, art, image, etc., etc. If they can do it, they will not rest until they do do it. It's the whole thing that Apple has always been about.

Those who are so tired about hearing about this should maybe figure out this aesthetic imperative that drives Apple.
  • Reply 46 of 107
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You are spot on.

Apple will also get into a market expectations trap..... people will look for half-yearly cycles of new product announcements.

Was that a significant issue with the iPod?
  • Reply 47 of 107
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Won't happen this yea unless Android manufacturers releases a retina display. Even then highly unlikely until version 3.
  • Reply 48 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darthraige View Post

"This is the year of the iPad 2." Not, plus, not 3, 2. 2 Only! "This is the year of the iPad 2." "This is the year of the iPad 2." "This is the year of the iPad 2." "This is the year of the iPad 2." "This is the year of the iPad 2." "This is the year of the iPad 2." "This is the year of the iPad 2." "This is the year of the iPad 2." "This is the year of the iPad 2." "This is the year of the iPad 2." "This is the year of the iPad 2."

Apparently you are not following Apple/Steve the last few years. There were quite a few "year of" that lasted 6 months. This does not mean the rumor is based on reality, but "the year of iPad 2" is not a viable argument either.
  • Reply 49 of 107
    Quote:

Was that a significant issue with the iPod?

Which iPod?
  • Reply 50 of 107
    Quote:

Which iPod?

There were a couple of cases of refreshes occuring well within the normal 12month cycle.

iPod 4gen July 04

iPod Photo Oct 04

IPod mini 2nd edition Feb 05

iPod Nano 1st edition Sep 05 (which effectively replaced the mini)

That's before we even get into the minor refreshes introducing more size to an existing chassis or slightly reducing the thickness.

Wiki has some nice timelines

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Na...ct_iPod_models

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Cl...ze_iPod_models
  • Reply 51 of 107
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Won't happen this yea unless Android manufacturers releases a retina display. Even then highly unlikely until version 3.

Android has 1 advantage.

Tegra 3 can drive "retina" display. A5 can't.

Samsung manufactures the 10 inch retina display. Why not use it with their own Galaxy series?

Android makes does not care if you only get 5 hours battery time instead of 10-11 with iPad. (quod core on 40nm will draw 50% more energy + display draws more)

Android market to geeks who look at numbers: dual core 1.2ghz, 8 megapixel and so on.

"look. I can get a tablet that have 1.2 ghz instead of 1 ghz. It has to be better"

"a camera with 8 megapixel has to be better then a camera with 5 megapixel"

Or the most fun: Latest Android phones record in 1920x1080 video. The "crappy" iPhone only does 720P. Android users does not care that their 1080 recordings are with 10-30 fps. Not constant frame rates = useless. But who cares! It looks good on the box: 1080 video recording.

I like Android.

I don't like the Android makers that prefer to buy a cheap 8 megapixel camera instead of a good 5 megapixel camera just to fool stupid customers.
  • Reply 52 of 107
    Quote:

Which iPod?

As previously stated the G1 iPod Touch gained 32GB model mid-cycle. Did people expect Apple to double the capacity every 6 months? I don't think so.

Then just this year we have the CDMA-based iPhone and white iPhone. Are people expecting new iPhone radios and colours every 6 months? Again, I don't think so.

That said, I'm not set on there being a HiDPI iPad mid-cycle, but I also can't ignore the precedence that specific market and component changes may give rise to unique situations and opportunities.
  • Reply 53 of 107
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galeforce View Post

- option of a "professional" drawing tool ("don't call it a stylus"!)

I'd say, "Not likely" on this.
  • Reply 54 of 107
    Quote:

There were a couple of cases of refreshes occuring well within the normal 12month cycle.

iPod 4gen July 04

iPod Photo Oct 04

[…]

Don't forget the G4 iPod Color coming out in June 2005 in 20 and 60GB capacities working with Firewire and USB just to trumped 3.5 months later by the G5 iPod Video in 30, 60, and 80GB capacities with USB-only for syncing.
  • Reply 55 of 107
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

x Infinity.

Please STOP writing these stupid rumor stories. There is ZERO incentive for Apple to issue a new iPad when the previous one is selling out like condoms during a gay-day parade. They can't satisfy the current demand, why on earth would they bring a new one online this early?

This is a rumors site. Please stop posting these stupid posts griping about rumors on a rumors site.
  • Reply 56 of 107
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This is certainly true but I've heard nothing that indicates that Apple has silicon ready to drive such a display.

The current iPad 2 already has a CPU/GPU powerful enough to support a higher res display. I believe this new model was originally suppose to arrive earlier but technical problems with the screens' production prevented it. In short, the current iPad 2 was designed for a higher res screen from the start.

The only argument against buying a HR iPad 2 when it ships this fall, if you need/want such a device, would be that since it arrived late, it will probably be at most 6 months away from the iPad 3. And since this will no doubt be a more expensive model, people may simply want to wait for a complete hardware refresh.

-kpluck
  • Reply 57 of 107
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Where is the evidence that Apple even cares about HD stuff? They don't even offer real HD movies on iTunes. I have nothing further to say about this rumor. I've made enough comments about this rumor in the past.
  • Reply 58 of 107
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
  • Reply 59 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

I'd say, "Not likely" on this.

Wait, a professional drawing tool on the iPad is unlikely? You don't think professional artists like the iPad?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/a...-iPad-art.html

Hockney disagrees

Source Daily Telegraph
  • Reply 60 of 107
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Hockney disagrees

Source Daily Telegraph

Never heard of him before. That painting looks simplistic and looks like a 5 year old child made it. I've made much better paintings on my iPad, and I'm not a pro artist.