Apple retail plans, sources point to Mac OS X Lion launch next week

Comments

• Reply 21 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Then obviously, all you've read is the headline, or you simply don't understand why the innovations are so important.

Not all all I have read lots about Lion. So how about you telling me or try to convince me what exactly is so ground breaking about Lion as turning my desktop or laptop into an oversized iPhone doesn't quite work for me or my business. Seriously I would love to be convinced.

Alos having the release as a download only is plain stupid. For me it is fine as I have a 50Mb connection but what about other users and countries where their connections are limited or in reality impossible to do a 4GB download.
  • Reply 22 of 145
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Will you posters please stop responding to Odysseus1923's insincere posts. He is clearly trolling.

Quote:

It's interesting that in this news, we again hear about Air updated machines coming out, but nothing about updated MB's, even though stock is low or out, at retailers.

If new machines were coming out now, as with what seem to be the new Airs, one would think that some leaks would have arrived by now. What does this tell us?

Tells us Apple has gotten better at keeping secrets.

edit: There website still says ships within 24 hours. It's not a guarantee, but I would expect any real constraint in supply to flow to their online store after several months of the same rumour.
  • Reply 23 of 145
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Tells us Apple has gotten better at keeping secrets.

No, it doesn't. It could be telling us that there is no MB upgrade. Why would major leaks of Air upgrades come out so early, and none for the MB? That would be unlikely.
  • Reply 24 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Odysseus1923 View Post

Not all all I have read lots about Lion. So how about you telling me or try to convince me what exactly is so ground breaking about Lion as turning my desktop or laptop into an oversized iPhone doesn't quite work for me or my business. Seriously I would love to be convinced.

Alos having the release as a download only is plain stupid. For me it is fine as I have a 50Mb connection but what about other users and countries where their connections are limited or in reality impossible to do a 4GB download.

I really don't think you want to be, by the tone of your posts.
  • Reply 25 of 145
    Quote:

Will you posters please stop responding to Odysseus1923's insecure posts. He is clearly trolling.

Sorry mate I couldn't be more secure. There are lots of long time power users who are unhappy about the direction the Mac OS seems to be heading in.

http://www.nillabyte.com/content.php...-Windows-Users
  • Reply 26 of 145
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

No, it doesn't. It could be telling us that there is no MB upgrade. Why would major leaks of Air upgrades come out so early, and none for the MB? That would be unlikely.

We have a less actual leaks than we used to despite Apple being more popular and having to source more components. We also have plenty of evidence to support their stopping leaks.
  • Reply 27 of 145
    Quote:

I really don't think you want to be, by the tone of your posts.

So that is your answer you just going to accept anything that Apple do just because they are Apple. I was trying to instigate a genuine discussion about the direction they are moving in which with Lion from what I have read and seen so far doesn't bode well for the future of the Mac OS as I really can see little genuine innovation and imagination in this upgrade.
  • Reply 28 of 145
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Next week sounds about right.
  • Reply 29 of 145
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I already have, that is what is so depressing about it. Lack of true innovation and imagination. For consumers fine but for content creators / business use nada.

I don't think any Windows IT guys are going to suddenly start raving about Apple but is Lion any less capable than SL as a business OS? Are you a dev or are you basing your evaluation on news sites? I have it running and as a dev I think it is a nice upgrade if not only for the iOS, iCloud tie-ins but also because it simply refines the sophistication of the continuing evolution of OS X.

Technology advancements often are evolutionary but don't always make everything snappier. Just today I went to client's office and fired up their only Mac which is a 2005 vintage running 10.1, I think, or whatever, on a power PC and hadn't been started for several years. After fixing the clock, I tested it out and believe it or not it actually felt faster than my 8 core Mac Pro running SL, at least from the stand point of routine finder tasks. Very usable machine. Connected to my iDisk, vnc and surfed around the web and the corporate network just fine.

So bottom line if you want the latest and greatest, then upgrade to Lion but otherwise you can get by just fine with whatever OS X you have already.
  • Reply 30 of 145
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:

I really can see little genuine innovation and imagination in this upgrade.

No offence but by saying the above, you just sound simple. How would you do it better? Or perhaps you could give us examples of how other genuinely innovative and imaginative companies are doing it better...
  • Reply 31 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

No offence but by saying the above, you just sound simple. How would you do it better? Or perhaps you could give us examples of how other genuinely innovative and imaginative companies are doing it better...

If you read my first post you would see 2 suggestions as a start and read the link I posted before and again below as I fully agree with him.

http://www.nillabyte.com/content.php...-Windows-Users
  • Reply 32 of 145
    pooman625pooman625 Posts: 53member
    Quote:

So that is your answer you just going to accept anything that Apple do just because they are Apple. I was trying to instigate a genuine discussion about the direction they are moving in which with Lion from what I have read and seen so far doesn't bode well for the future of the Mac OS as I really can see little genuine innovation and imagination in this upgrade.

wtf... there are a lot of 12 year olds on the internet with nothing better to do then troll apple. The fact that their market share is going up doesnt boast well with kids. That website where people are voicing their concerns over lion saying that they've used it for many years...guaranteed that 90% of them are 12 year old kids that will never get cats wet in their lives.

now as for new features... resume is going to reinvent the desktop OS. For sure you'll see windows take this idea and in 10 years, the kids on those forums will be saying that windows got this feature first. Versions is also revolutionary and i don't even need to describe how. Airdrop... guaranteed in windows in a year. Launchpad is a gimick and il agree but its still a nice feature. Its evolutionary. Also, the way which lion handles desktops is revolutionary. This is the first time in the GUI era that 2 or more desktops has been incorporated in an os in a simple way. This is the first time where it'd be smart to teach a new user a feature like this BEFORE you go into some of the basics. Full screen is also nice but only evolutionary i'l once again admit that.

And finally, since your clearly using windows 7... name 10 new features. Please im waiting. I'll help. Snap... thats as gimmicky as launchpad. The new taskbar... i suppose they wanted you to click MORE if you want to switch between windows. Libraries... more like LOLbraries. Advanced search still takes a minute to finish. And OMFG heres the kicker all you mac users... r you ready... your desktop (the one) can now have a slide show. OMFG thats amazing. Imma pay $250 for that. Thats really all the new features. The rest are graphical or in the background. The only thing which windows does better than mac is A)charge more and B)piss off its users with notifications all the time.
  • Reply 33 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pooman625 View Post

wtf... there are a lot of 12 year olds on the internet with nothing better to do then troll apple. The fact that their market share is going up doesnt boast well with kids. That website where people are voicing their concerns over lion saying that they've used it for many years...guaranteed that 90% of them are 12 year old kids that will never get cats wet in their lives.

now as for new features... resume is going to reinvent the desktop OS. For sure you'll see windows take this idea and in 10 years, the kids on those forums will be saying that windows got this feature first. Versions is also revolutionary and i don't even need to describe how. Airdrop... guaranteed in windows in a year. Launchpad is a gimick and il agree but its still a nice feature. Its evolutionary. Also, the way which lion handles desktops is revolutionary. This is the first time in the GUI era that 2 or more desktops has been incorporated in an os in a simple way. This is the first time where it'd be smart to teach a new user a feature like this BEFORE you go into some of the basics. Full screen is also nice but only evolutionary i'l once again admit that.

And finally, since your clearly using windows 7... name 10 new features. Please im waiting. I'll help. Snap... thats as gimmicky as launchpad. The new taskbar... i suppose they wanted you to click MORE if you want to switch between windows. Libraries... more like LOLbraries. Advanced search still takes a minute to finish. And OMFG heres the kicker all you mac users... r you ready... your desktop (the one) can now have a slide show. OMFG thats amazing. Imma pay $250 for that. Thats really all the new features. The rest are graphical or in the background. The only thing which windows does better than mac is A)charge more and B)piss off its users with notifications all the time.

Idiot, this has nothing to do with Windows which I abhor.
  • Reply 34 of 145
    pooman625pooman625 Posts: 53member
    The features are still there. It is a fact that everyone one that website you mentioned, everyone on youtube and everyone here is young. Some may not be but majority are around the plump age of 12 making web comments unreliable for complaints and it answers your question of what the neat faetures of lion is. I answered your question that you asked that other user and i compared it to the os that you're probably using.
  • Reply 35 of 145
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:

they can't even implement tabbed browsing in the Finder.

A tabbed or split pane finder would be nice \
  • Reply 36 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pooman625 View Post

The features are still there. It is a fact that everyone one that website you mentioned, everyone on youtube and everyone here is young. Some may not be but majority are around the plump age of 12 making web comments unreliable for complaints and it answers your question of what the neat faetures of lion is. I answered your question that you asked that other user and i compared it to the os that you're probably using.

The point I am trying to make is that instead of Apple wasting their time coming up with useless eye candy in order to attract Windows users they could spend their time better coming up with genuine innovation which is useful and adds to usability and enhanced efficiencies in the real world working environment instead of dumming down the OS and re-packaging aspects which already exist. Hey I am not saying it is all bad it just seems they are beginning to run out of genuine ideas.
  • Reply 37 of 145
    Quote:

The point I am trying to make is that instead of Apple wasting their time coming up with useless eye candy in order to attract Windows users they could spend their time better coming up with genuine innovation which is useful and adds to usability and enhanced efficiencies in the real world working environment instead of dumming down the OS and re-packaging aspects which already exist. Hey I am not saying it is all bad it just seems they are beginning to run out of genuine ideas.

firstly, all windows is is eye candy. Apple won't be able to beat that and even i don't think so. They look different, feel different and therefore don't compete. Apple knows they can't draw people until they're market share grows. They are two different markets. Also, theres mission control wich helps with mutitasking. Airdrop is truely new and their 'competition' doesn't have that. Versons is amazing. Launchpad is neat cause it will find apps all over your system, not just in the apps folder. their 'competition' isn't even capable of that because their search is so painfully slow.

other features like filevault 2 now encrypts the whole HDD or SSD in some cases. same thing though. The fact that one purchase works on a lot of macs is cool. You mentiond your 'buisness' (also known as your friends in your grade 9 class) and how the download will make it hard. With your os of choice, you'd need to spend a lot of money on cd's. Now, one download, one usb and then all those macs are ready.

And i don't see whats so unoriginal about the incorporation of their desktops. Once again...their only competition and your os of choice simply can't do something like that because A) the background was made so long ago that it'd be laggy and B) just like android, they can't assume that everyone has multitouch made in their trackpads and therefore, simply can't make it so easy. Instead, your os of choice simply updates the graphics and looks of thir os to get all the kids in your class raving about how cool and advanced it is
  • Reply 38 of 145
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:

"a new bulletin posted to the system this week is advising store management to perform RAM upgrades to certain Mac models on the showroom floors by Sunday"

Uh-oh. I don't like the sound of that. I'm running a 2.53ghz Mini with 4 gigs of RAM, and Aperture 3 can often run at a frigging CRAWL. I love Aperture 3. Love it love it love it... but good gawd is it a resource hog. I was hoping Lion might better handle resources.

Does anybody know if Lion is more RAM hungry than Leopard or Snow Leopard?
  • Reply 39 of 145
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

A tabbed or split pane finder would be nice \

Totally agree. Split-pane would be especially nice since dragging and dropping files currently requires two finder windows, which seems odd for accomplishing such a simple task.

I'll probably be an early Lion adopter. I haven't regretted upgrading since... uhm... OS 8.5? Or was it OS 7 to OS 8? Either way, that's a long time ago.
  • Reply 40 of 145
    Quote:

We have a less actual leaks than we used to despite Apple being more popular and having to source more components. We also have plenty of evidence to support their stopping leaks.

But it's very unusual to get strong leaks about one product, and to then get nothing about another in the same area. Not saying it can't happen, but it's unlikely.

Well, we might know next week.