Microsoft CEO pans Apple's Mac sales, admits 'very small' Windows Phone sales

2456789

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 169
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Does Microsoft sell PC's?



    Last time I checked it makes the OS that runs on the PC.



    I think it will be intresteing to see how many people decide to use the WebOS HP will be offering on PC not Windows. That is a lot more significant.









    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post


    Steve Jobs conceded defeat in the "PC wars" 14 years ago. Ballmer still thinks it's the first or second inning. That said, Mac sales are growing at a rabid pace, and every time somebody buys their first mac, that's one less sale for MS.



  • Reply 22 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


    This subject has been beaten to a pulp. You must be new here.



    It's called an iPad. Buy it with an external keyboard if you want a netbook. Apple will not come out with low priced junk for the sake of markets share. That's not how operate.



    There's also the 11" Macbook Air. Considering how hard a time Apple has keeping them in stock, they are selling pretty well.



    Just look at the performance of the other low-cost PC makers to get an idea of why Apple isn't entering the bottom-of-barrel club.



    but it wouldn't be underpriced. They already have a computer at that price. It would not hurt their buisness at all because they're not becoming a 'cheaper' company, its simply a lesser expensive mac. And i doon't think they SHOULD do it, simply because it wouldnt help me in any way since the macbook is not my style, but it would make apple get a HUGE market boost in a matter of months.

    do it:no

    would it be smart:yes
  • Reply 23 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pooman625 View Post


    but it wouldn't be underpriced. They already have a computer at that price. It would not hurt their buisness at all because they're not becoming a 'cheaper' company, its simply a lesser expensive mac. And i doon't think they SHOULD do it, simply because it wouldnt help me in any way since the macbook is not my style, but it would make apple get a HUGE market boost in a matter of months.

    do it:no

    would it be smart:yes



    Here's what the Macalope thinks about market share:



    Quote:

    You know what happens when you throw a market share party, right? You wake up the next day hung over and wondering where all your profit went.







    But seriously, I think the "let's sell a super-cheap Mac to boost market share" plan would backfire. The reason being that for the last two decades, Apple has been a premium brand—the Apple logo means something. To Apple fans, it means a premium machine, it means "the whole widget", it means joining a community of Apple fans, etc. In general, people buy Apple computers (and now iOS devices) not simply because they want "a computer/device", but because they want everything that makes an Apple product an Apple product.

    If Apple starts trying to play the market share game by selling cheap-ass products, nearly everyone—including Apple fans—instead of saying, "Awesome! Macs are now super cheap! I'll take three!"; they'll say, "WTF?? Apple is making/selling crap now?? Sorry, not interested." Okay, some people will be part of the "I'll take three!" crowd, but not enough for Apple to make any meaningful profits, and more importantly, that strategy will dilute/damage the Apple brand—irreparably, I think.
  • Reply 24 of 169
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    A long time ago, Jobs said, "We have to get rid of the idea that for Apple to win, Microsoft has to lose." Apple deftly stepped around Microsoft. And Microsoft is still looking at where Apple was.
  • Reply 25 of 169
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    it's statements like this that piss off microsoft share holders. this fool is boasting about sales when they didn't sell anything other than the operating system on a declining market of desktop computers.



    investors want to see forward thinking design in a rising market with a lot of profit and that describes apple. but you don't need me to spell that out, just look at what microsoft trades at and compare mangos to apples.
  • Reply 26 of 169
    Apple is Hardware maker, not a Software maker. For Ballmer to constantly compare MS against Apple in the Windows-Mac space is kinda ridiculous.



    For illustration, Apple will gladly sell you a mac so you can run Windows on it. OTOH, MS would hardly be thrilled if you assembled a PC, but installed Mac OS X on it.



    As a hardware maker, I think Apple is glad to be in the position where they make nearly 50% of the profits in the industry. I don't think they are too worried about their marketshare in that instance.
  • Reply 27 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post


    Steve Jobs conceded defeat in the "PC wars" 14 years ago. Ballmer still thinks it's the first or second inning. That said, Mac sales are growing at a rabid pace, and every time somebody buys their first mac, that's one less sale for MS.



    Actually, conversations I have had with people at Microsoft is they actually don't care much. Know why? They make money due to all the other MS software people buy for use on their Macs. Mac users often purchase the same or more MS software on the Mac as many dual boot Windows (these licenses actually make MS more than the manufacturer licenses) and then use MS Office for the Mac.
  • Reply 28 of 169
    I tried a Samsung Focus for a little over two weeks and returned it. The marketplace aside, the whole experience was half-baked. To name a few....



    a) Couldn't join hidden WiFi

    b) Couldn't subscribe to more than one Calendar (even on Hotmail!)

    c) WiFi access was prioritized over Cellular data in sleep mode (my data bill proves it).

    d) AMOLED screen was bright and crisp but very, very grainy compared to Retina display



    Love my iPhone 4.
  • Reply 29 of 169
    snailersnailer Posts: 51member
    Quote:

    Now, 20 is too much, but 350, last time I checked, is a lot more than 20.



    Thanks for the math lesson Mr. Emballmer. Since you don't actually MAKE any of those 350 million computers and only get your (one time) fee by forcing them to put your OS on it, how much are you REALLY making per computer sold as opposed to the fruity guys? Apple profits about 30% of the $1k to $4k ($300 to $1200 per computer) And in the REAL growth sector, mobile devices, they're losing ground faster than an L.A. mudslide in monsoon season. Apple is now selling over 70 million iPhones and 32 million iPads a year, with an attached ONGOING revenue stream in the form of media and apps and carrier kickbacks.
  • Reply 30 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pooman625 View Post


    but it wouldn't be underpriced. They already have a computer at that price. It would not hurt their buisness at all because they're not becoming a 'cheaper' company, its simply a lesser expensive mac. And i doon't think they SHOULD do it, simply because it wouldnt help me in any way since the macbook is not my style, but it would make apple get a HUGE market boost in a matter of months.

    do it:no

    would it be smart:yes



    I'm not so sure about that. The mac mini has the guts (contrary to my sig I now own one instead of a macbook) but you still have to add a high quality screen, trackpad and keyboard. That alone will get you back up to macbook/macbook air prices. Also, from my experience, a lot of people who can't "afford" macs but want to experience OSX tend to either buy refurb or buy second hand on craigslist/ebay/etc. which gets them a macbook at a mac mini price.
  • Reply 31 of 169
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post


    Apple is Hardware maker, not a Software maker.



    I disagree, Apple is a Software AND Hardware maker. They excel at both, which is what gives them their edge over others who specialise in one or the other.
  • Reply 32 of 169
    In other news...

    Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer made yet another useless press release to try and divert attention away from his company's lack of forward movement.



    And water is still wet.
  • Reply 33 of 169
    takeotakeo Posts: 418member
    When Mac OS X 10.0 launched Apple had maybe 25 million users TOTAL worldwide after 25 years in business. Now they're adding about 4 million new users PER QUARTER? Not bad.
  • Reply 34 of 169
    boogabooga Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    I wonder what Gates thinks of all this, while we're witnessing Ballmer drive the company into the ground.



    I'll tell you what Gates thinks: "I got out at just the right time!" Seriously, Gates wasn't any better than Ballmer, he just spouted his mouth off less. The whole company is based on the Windows and Office monopolies and has been for 20 years.
  • Reply 35 of 169
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post


    Apple is Hardware maker, not a Software maker. For Ballmer to constantly compare MS against Apple in the Windows-Mac space is kinda ridiculous.



    For illustration, Apple will gladly sell you a mac so you can run Windows on it. OTOH, MS would hardly be thrilled if you assembled a PC, but installed Mac OS X on it.



    As a hardware maker, I think Apple is glad to be in the position where they make nearly 50% of the profits in the industry. I don't think they are too worried about their marketshare in that instance.



    I can see it a bit, if I have money to spend, Microsoft would rather you by an HP so they get $40 bucks for the OS. Not going to happen in my world, but they would like it.



    I loved the part about 350 being larger than 20, still pondering that revelation.
  • Reply 36 of 169
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post


    "Objects in mirror may be close than they appear"



    Ballmer should perhaps spend less time looking in the rearview mirror at the rapidly approaching Applemobile and more time paying attention to where he is going. He keeps driving his car into the ditch.



    yup, and apple doesn't have the majority of sales in any industry, but they are taking half the profits of the whole smartphone market, with about a 20% market share.



    apple is also the most profitable PC maker.



    apple is more valuable than microsoft as well.



    hey microsoft, how much money could you make selling 350 million sticks of gum?
  • Reply 37 of 169
    a_ka_k Posts: 32member
    Ballmer looks older and thinner on the picture.
  • Reply 38 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post


    Apple is Hardware maker, not a Software maker.



    Well, except for:

    iTunes

    Pages

    Numbers

    Keynote

    Final Cut Pro

    Motion

    Compressor

    Logic Pro

    Mainstage

    Soundtrack Pro

    Garageband

    iMovie

    oh yes...and OSX and iOS.



    Other than those (and a few others) you are correct.
  • Reply 39 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


    Hum, excuse me Ballmer, but who's making all the profits???



    Er there about even, although Windows profits are a lot more secure than iPhone profits.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post


    What a tard this guy is. He should be removed immediately.



    People say this a lot but seriously why? Right now MS is releasing better products more consistantly than they ever have. Even Bing has somehow become a success!



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wigby View Post


    it's statements like this that piss off microsoft share holders. this fool is boasting about sales when they didn't sell anything other than the operating system on a declining market of desktop computers.



    Sorry to correct you but the desktop market is not declining. At the moment its growing slower, to actually decline you actually have to sell less. The PC market is still selling more each year, and Microsoft still make record profits each year.



    There's not many stats on it but the mobile phone market as a whole (i.e. not just smartphones) must also be doing the same thing. Rather than changing a phone every year, there a lot more 18 month contracts around indicating that there must be less sales. It would be couteracted by the fact people are spending a lot more on a phone, but in terms of unit sales I wouldn't be surprised if the growth rate was falling.
  • Reply 40 of 169
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post


    "Objects in mirror may be close than they appear"



    Ballmer should perhaps spend less time looking in the rearview mirror at the rapidly approaching Applemobile and more time paying attention to where he is going. He keeps driving his car into the ditch.



    In reality, he's using binoculars to see ahead of him the Mobile space accelerating away from him where Apple and Android are speeding off, and in the rear-view he's ignoring the traffic behind him that is gaining ground on him and shrugging it off as nothing.
Sign In or Register to comment.