ITC rules HTC violating two of Apple's iPhone-related patents

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Google does not care.

They don't sell Android.

Android makers sells Android and they should pay.

Apple got the Multi touch patent 3 weeks ago.

Since then 5 Android makers have signed deals with MSFT paying 5-15 dollar per Android device. They believe that MSFT patent portfolio would protect them from Apple.

Apple invent iPhone and Multi touch. Google buys Android and orders Android to clone Iphone. Android makers pay licensing fees to MSFT.

MSFT will make about a billion next year in licensing fees for Android.

Apple did not invent multitouch. Their patents are on specific implementations of multitouch.
  • Reply 22 of 82
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Yap, I predict a big success of Apple 4G only products in Europe

What European carriers have 4G networks (or plans for them within the next few years) at all?
  • Reply 23 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Why has to make a new OS?

Apple sued for 10 patents and before the final resolution the infringement is on 4 of 29 claims of one patent and 4 of 42 claims of another.

Why a totally new os has to be done?

For one thing, the new OS will include new languages, possibly including yours.

Just tea ... sing ...
  • Reply 24 of 82
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

Google: You can't steal something and then just give it away for free.

it's pay time baby.

HTC is not Google.

The patents were:

* System and method for performing an action on a structure in a computer

* Real-time signal processing system for serially transmitted data

Huh? What were those patents exactly?
  • Reply 25 of 82
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Nokia will only make money if Apple uses GSM. Apple's CDMA phone isn't subject to Nokia licensing.

Quote:

Nokia will only make money as long as Apple uses 3G.

2012 all Apple products will be 4G.

• Reply 26 of 82
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    How could licensing Microsoft's patents protect HTC from Apple's patents? I will make it easy for you. Doing so will not protect such Android users. If Apple was smart, it would just demand a licensing fee like Microsoft. If hardware makers are paying enough licensing fees to use Android, Windows 7, Web OS, and other innovations will look better.

Quote:

Google does not care.

Since then 5 Android makers have signed deals with MSFT paying 5-15 dollar per Android device. They believe that MSFT patent portfolio would protect them from Apple.

• Reply 27 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

HTC is not Google.

The patents were:

* System and method for performing an action on a structure in a computer

* Real-time signal processing system for serially transmitted data

Huh? What were those patents exactly?

These are very fundamental patents covering how a user interacts with a smartphone (or similar device), and consequently with a data network. It's not obvious how Google can code around this. Apple is also suing Motorola over the same patents.

But don't forget HTC has an ace up its sleeve that it can use - it has acquired S3 Graphics, which has won the first round of judgement in suing Apple for infringement of its image compression patents.
  • Reply 28 of 82
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Nokia will only make money if Apple uses GSM. Apple's CDMA phone isn't subject to Nokia licensing.

Actually I believe Apple is also licensing some of Nokia's smartphone patents too, certainly Nokia's lawsuit against Apple wasn't all GSM patents. Hopefully the next results will shed some light on the royalties being paid.
  • Reply 29 of 82
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

These are very fundamental patents covering how a user interacts with a smartphone (or similar device), and consequently with a data network. It's not obvious how Google can code around this. Apple is also suing Motorola over the same patents.

But don't forget HTC has an ace up its sleeve that it can use - it has acquired S3 Graphics, which has won the first round of judgement in suing Apple for infringement of its image compression patents.

I'm glancing at U.S. Patent No. 5,946,647 which was filed in 1996, it looks like pattern matches for string structures. I don't see how this differs from using regular expressions to find phone numbers, URLs, etc.
  • Reply 30 of 82
    zaim2zaim2 Posts: 45member
    Quote:

So Patent 1 is for detecting data in OS and providing contextual actions, (for example, seeing a number in an text message and being able to open it in the dialer or being able to click a URL in a browser), and Patent 2 is having an operating system with applications and the capability of using a data connection?

So even ignoring Android, no competing non Apple/Microsoft (MS is immune due to cross-license deal) Smartphone OS can exist without infringing on this. I'm not seeing why I'm supposed to be celebrating about this ruling Permanent loss of competition is never good.
  • Reply 31 of 82
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    This is a vindication for Apple.
  • Reply 32 of 82
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

No one can patent how user touch a screen. So Android OS just provided a function telling an application how user has touched the screen. It is up to the Android licensees to implement reaction to user touches. Apparently many Android copycats like HTC and Samsung choose how to react (method) to user touches exactly like the iPhone does. This is why HTC got sued.

In this regard, Apple can not sue the Android OS. If Google choose to market a smartphone that work like iPhone, then it might be sued by Apple.
  • Reply 33 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

No one can patent how user touch a screen. So Android OS just provided a function telling an application how user has touched the screen. It is up to the Android licensees to implement reaction to user touches. Apparently many Android copycats like HTC and Samsung choose how to react (method) to user touches exactly like the iPhone does. This is why HTC got sued.

So why did the ITC chuck out 8/10 patents, and the 2 patents the ITC are ruling HTC infringed on from the 90's and not directly anything to do with smartphones but any computer?
  • Reply 34 of 82
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Google does not care.

They believe that MSFT patent portfolio would protect them from Apple.

Don't Apple and MS share their patents still?
  • Reply 35 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

I'm glancing at U.S. Patent No. 5,946,647 which was filed in 1996, it looks like pattern matches for string structures. I don't see how this differs from using regular expressions to find phone numbers, URLs, etc.

I was thinking the same, but I think it's a little more than that. It's a parser connected to a UI whereby the detected matches can be selected in order to execute the action. Still very very broad, and amazing if there is no prior art that covers it - in a sensible world it would fail the 'obviousness' test, but this isn't a sensible world.
  • Reply 36 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Don't Apple and MS share their patents still?

Ignore shompa, he is factually wrong about essentially everything he posts. It's unclear whether MS & Apple's licensing deal was renewed - there's nothing public either way on it since the 5 year deal was penned back in the 90s, but even if it did it wouldn't cover Google or HTC.
  • Reply 37 of 82
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zaim2 View Post

So why did the ITC chuck out 8/10 patents, and the 2 patents the ITC are ruling HTC infringed on from the 90's and not directly anything to do with smartphones but any computer?

Without seeing the 8/10 patents, I can not say.
  • Reply 38 of 82
    Quote:

In this regard, Apple can not sue the Android OS. If Google choose to market a smartphone that work like iPhone, then it might be sued by Apple.

In this case the patents don't apply to software but to a device that runs software - so clearly these two patents could never be used against Google directly, but only against the hardware vendors.
  • Reply 39 of 82
    Quote:

Without seeing the 8/10 patents, I can not say.

Apple dropped 5 voluntarily - presumably to speed the process, the other 3 were

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...S=PN/5,481,721

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...S=PN/6,275,983

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...S=PN/5,566,337

(from foss patents)
  • Reply 40 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Apple dropped 5 voluntarily - presumably to speed the process, the other 3 were

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...S=PN/5,481,721

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...S=PN/6,275,983

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...S=PN/5,566,337

(from foss patents)

So it's basically just Apple browbeating HTC with patents necessary for the creation of any modern competitive OS, not anything specific to iOS innovation. Well within their rights, but it's a bit too Microsoft-esque for me to get behind.