Apple expected to launch 3 HDTV models by March 2012 - report

Comments

• Reply 81 of 140
    I'm skeptical, but if true, it would be good timing for me.
  • Reply 82 of 140
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    People said the same thing when Apple entered the phone market. It is also worth noting the PC market as a whole is on a race to the bottom. Dell and HP are killing each other cutting margins and lowering cost. Apple meanwhile is maintaining healthy margins and growing share.

I have little faith in this rumor. However, I think Apple will enter the market. Companies like Samsung are very aggressively building Smart TV's with built in access to applications. This could effect Apple's other markets eventually. I don't expect Apple to take a wait and see approach.

Apple would likely launch such a TV the same way it did the Apple TV. It will come preloaded with a select few applications it and third party developers put together quietly.

Further, I honestly don't see an Apple HDTV reaching the price points the Bose TV reaches. You can buy a nice 42 inch Sharp LED HDTV on sale for under $700.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

This rumor makes no sense to me at all. Why would Apple want to involve itself in an industry that is in a perpetual race to the bottom with little no profit margin. I fail to see how this would benefit the Apple ecosystem. It is only slightly more relevant than an "iBlender."

• Reply 83 of 140
    friedmudfriedmud Posts: 165member
    I'll be in the market for a new HDTV next year... and would definitely consider getting one from Apple.

HOWEVER: It MUST support 3D (yes... I really do want it, for a number of reasons).... and it is hard for me to believe that Apple will do that.

If Apple comes out with a 3D fHDTV... I will buy it. Period.
  • Reply 84 of 140
    If you have ever been in the back of an Apple Retail Store you would instantly know that Apple will not be selling giant TVs any time soon.

There is a reason Apple has been trying to make smaller devices and smaller packaging.

There is a reason they are getting rid of software packaging.

There's no where to stock it!

Apple will get into the video game console business in the near future.

Apple's App Store model is a natural fit for the AppleTV set top box.

Apple can afford to ship and stock consoles not TVs.
  • Reply 85 of 140
    If Apple were to announce a new AppleTV that supported apps, the logical place/time would be at the WWDC.
  • Reply 86 of 140
    I think a big part of the reason we haven't seen the App Store on Apple TV yet is because Apple has been busy with Lion and iOS5.

Lion has finally shipped and iOS 5 will ship in the fall.

Once those projects are out the door, Apple will be able to divert resources to update AppleTV.

So I think next spring/summer is a very real possibility.
  • Reply 87 of 140
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

People said the same thing when Apple entered the phone market.

That was not the consensus. Prior to the iPhone's unveiling there were a plethora of mockups and a clear argument as to why Apple should move the iPod into a phone as the phone market was a clear future and the PMP market had neared it's apex. The big surprise that day in January 2007 wasn't that Apple made the iPhone but what they did to make the iPhone.
  • Reply 88 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I don't think it will be based on pixel density. Having apple TV built in would mean airplay and air gaming right out of the box. If it let you do hulu and netflix, rent from iTunes and watch regular TV it would be really awesome.

That would be the only good thing this tv will be able to do. As is other televisions do much of the same things as that. The only thing they will be offering new is itunes and airplay. Are you willing to pay that much for itunes and airplay. I myself use a dumb hdtv and I have my ps3 connected to it and I stream music and movies over my home network system. Plus I get better game play then an airplay enabled apple tv.
  • Reply 89 of 140
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Sony is bleeding because it is a horribly run company. The quality of its sets aren't what they used to be. You can buy a good Sony set, but you have to pay a lot for the decent ones Sony makes. The low end ones are junk. Like Sony, Samsung is overrated as well. Both Sony and Samsung generally don't make their own panels unless it is a high end model. Within the same model TV, both companies outsource from various companies resulting in varying degrees of quality.

Go into a store that carries Sharp, Samsung and Sony (like Sears). Sharp makes its own panels, and adds a fourth color to the pixel mix. Many Sharp's lower end LED TVs use full array back lighting, as opposed to the less quality edge lightening method used by Samsung and Sony on the same priced TVs. The Sharp picture stands out.

I also disagree with you about Apple going into the field. If it can offer a decent product at a comparative cost, Apple will sell the sets. It has hundreds of stores to show case the product. Further, Apple is all about leveraging technology it already has to enter new markets. It would cost Apple very little in terms of research to offer a decent product. An Apple HDTV could essentially be an enlarged iPad.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

It doesn't make sense for Apple to go into the TV business. Sony is bleeding money like crazy with their TV division. Apple might be able to make more money than Sony, but it sure does seem risky to me. I wouldn't mind having a 27" iMac with HDTV capabilities but even a low end model that size would probably cost close to $2000. One can buy a pretty decent 1080P HDTV from LG, Vizio or Samsung for under $1000. I honestly don't see Apple going into this field. I could understand Apple building a high-end set-top box, but integrating it into a TV doesn't seem like a good idea at all. I keep my TVs for at least 5 years so I can't see paying a lot of money for an Apple TV and then having the internet programming part of the TV be out of date in just a couple of years. I think Apple should stay away from HDTVs unless their economies of scale can make the business profitable. I want to see Apple build a firmware upgradeable, iOS running set-top box with PVR capabilities but I don't see that happening either.

• Reply 90 of 140
    One more thing...As far as Apple is concerned the iPad is the replacement for the TV.

In time most of us will use our iPads more and our TVs less.

The big screen will be primarily for when we want to share something from the ipad with others.

The iPad is the primary interface of the AppleTV.
  • Reply 91 of 140
    If they are basing the models exactly like that pictured Bose system, I'm going to throw up. That's not designed, not been engineered. Mind, I never like how Bose or Leowe TVs look. Plain ugly, they are...

I'm skeptical too if I may add. The price will be astronomical rendering them niche and if tied to iTunes, they are going to defy one of the purpose of iTunes which is to attract general consumers and not only for the riches.
  • Reply 92 of 140
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Why would Apple design their own video DSP chip? Even with tech from PS Semi it doesn't make sense. There are numerous companies that make really good video DSP chips and are way ahead of where Apple would be. Marvel has Qdeo second gen chips out and they are excellent. Silicon Image also has been in this business for a long time and have very sophisticated chips. Why would Apple reinvent the wheel here when there would be so little market share for them to capture?

I call BS on Apple video DSP chips.
  • Reply 93 of 140
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    As long as it's not glossy it'll be great.

Big, reflective TV's are very annoying.
  • Reply 94 of 140
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

What Apple should do is:

Updated Apple TV

Features 2 HDMI ports, 1 in, 1 out