Apple expected to launch 3 HDTV models by March 2012 - report

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 140
    They would have to do something awesome, like OLED TV's, and have built in Apple T.V.
  • Reply 122 of 140
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Even for those of us who can perceive the depth and don't get blinding headaches from 3D images it's still a sub-par experience. My personal perception is that the 3D images look 'flatter' than 2D because the planes of parallax in so many frames tend to fall out so that you have only two or three. The result can feel like some sort of odd puppet show in which 2d characters move across a 3D stage.

When it's done badly, 3D does have a cardboard-cutout quality. And causes eyestrain. But we are in the fumbling-around stage, and the exploitation phase, of stereo movie-making. It will get better, and it will become a standard for sports and nature documentaries, etc. When it's done right, it will work for most people for many types of picture, but not all.

Did you see Werner Herzog's Cave of Forgotten Dreams? It would have been a crime to do that one in 2D, even with all the flaws that the filming restraints caused.

'Blinding' is an exaggeration.
  • Reply 123 of 140
    yvo84yvo84 Posts: 84member
    That guy's analysis is speculative to the extreme.
  • Reply 124 of 140
    Not gonna happen. Most Apple stores aren't even large enough to store them in their stock room. Not to mention walking out of a mall with a 46" TV would be tough to manage.

The iPhone reinvented the smart phone and that is why people embraced it. Branding a TV with the Apple logo and sticking ATV in it is not reinventing the TV. Consumers would quickly see that it is much cheaper to buy a nice Samsung and hook it up to an already tiny ATV and speaker bar. And don't even get me started on comparing anything Apple makes to Bose! Bose? King of the overpriced paper cone speaker and antiquated products??? Ha!
  • Reply 125 of 140
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

Not gonna happen. Most Apple stores aren't even large enough to store them in their stock room. Not to mention walking out of a mall with a 46" TV would be tough to manage.

The iPhone reinvented the smart phone and that is why people embraced it. Branding a TV with the Apple logo and sticking ATV in it is not reinventing the TV. Consumers would quickly see that it is much cheaper to buy a nice Samsung and hook it up to an already tiny ATV and speaker bar. And don't even get me started on comparing anything Apple makes to Bose! Bose? King of the overpriced paper cone speaker and antiquated products??? Ha!

If Apple does brand a TV I'd think they do it by licensing their AppleTV OS to vendors. I'm imagining an iCloud logo in a corner of the TV as you walk through BestBuy. A Smart TV that actually works well and helps reinforce Apple's ecosystem.
  • Reply 126 of 140
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

...Apple... ...licensing... ...OS...

• Reply 127 of 140
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Rumor followed by skeptical, sarcastic responses. See above. This reminds me of something... wait a minute... wait a minute... There was this rumor in 2006 about an "i" thing that everybody was laughing at Apple about. Something about a mature, commoditized, cutthroat market that would eat Apple alive? Well, they're not laughing any more are they. And why did Apple remove "Computer" from its corporate name? Let me think about that one again.

Cute. But doesn't prove your point. The fact is that the whole TV issue is one of content and Apple doesn't need to buy an actual TV to service that issue. They just need the content deals and the same little black box they are selling now. That can be used with the tv you have or one you buy. Without need for them to sign up a partner, license tech etc

Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

This guy is talking out of his arse. I hope that he gets fired in March 2012 when his bullshit predictions turn out to be false.

Shaw Wu has been talking out of his arse for a lot longer and hasn't gotten himself fire, proving that accuracy and a sense of logic/reason isn't a job requirement. This guy is probably safe

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

This was pretty much the sales pitch for GoogleTV. Hasn't exactly set the world on fire.

A major reason being that they tried to recreate the WebTV, focusing on getting tv etc through the internet and got several major sites like Hulu blocked. With Hulu it was because of Hulu's deals with the networks (i.e. if Hulu didn't block the G-TV from accessing the sites, the networks would yank their stuff from Hulu). Similar gigs with the other sites. This is not unlike Google's Books gig without talking to the publishers first and their music gig without talking to the labels. It tends to back fire.

Apple on the other hand does the deals first so there's few issues. And as I said, those deals don't need a full on TV to be of use.
  • Reply 128 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

This rumor makes no sense to me at all. Why would Apple want to involve itself in an industry that is in a perpetual race to the bottom with little no profit margin. I fail to see how this would benefit the Apple ecosystem. It is only slightly more relevant than an "iBlender."

OMG I want an iBlender *now*. A white one, though, not a black one. This will revolutionize the puree marketplace.
  • Reply 129 of 140
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

OMG I want an iBlender *now*. A white one, though, not a black one. This will revolutionize the puree marketplace.

quietest blender on the market and comes with a MagSafe connector.
  • Reply 130 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

A major reason being that they tried to recreate the WebTV, focusing on getting tv etc through the internet and got several major sites like Hulu blocked. With Hulu it was because of Hulu's deals with the networks (i.e. if Hulu didn't block the G-TV from accessing the sites, the networks would yank their stuff from Hulu). Similar gigs with the other sites. This is not unlike Google's Books gig without talking to the publishers first and their music gig without talking to the labels. It tends to back fire.

The whole notion that different devices should have different access capabilities on the web is bunk. The web is the web is the web. My access to Hulu should be identical across my Windows laptop, my iPad, my AppleTV 2, or a Google TV (why in goddess's name I'd buy Google I don't know, but just for argument's sake...).

There's always a work-around anyway - right now I do HDMI output from my laptop to my Samsung 1080p TV - so Hulu (and the networks supporting it) gain nothing but bad press from trying to Balkanize their access this way.
  • Reply 131 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

quietest blender on the market and comes with a MagSafe connector.

Yeah but try using the touchscreen interface after a couple of margaritas...
  • Reply 132 of 140
    tony12tony12 Posts: 31member
    WOW, seems cool, I do hope they do this soon, and the Apple TV Software that update Adds Streaming of Purchased TV Shows, Vimeo Support, and More, to me really great!

Then maybe I also can make the Apple TV to be a home media centre without the handbrake and ifunia converting, just streaming more and more...
  • Reply 133 of 140
    Apple already makes a product that is exceedingly close to being a TV, namely the iMac. All it would take for an iMac to be a TV is the ability to receive video inputs and a built-in TV tuner. These addditions would be ridiculously inexpensive to add, putting at most another $200 onto the cost of an iMac.

So if you up the price of the iMac by $200 to accommodate the additional capabilities and add a 40-incher to the product mix, there you go, an Apple TV.

Going this route, the 21.5-inch model would remain as is because the screen is too small to be part of this and increasing the cost by $200 would not make sense.

So start with the 27" model offering TV capabilties and that model would then be priced something like $1,899 and $2,199.

Then there would be a big brother with a 40" screen and otherwise the same specs as the 27-incher. This set would come in at $2,499 (no need for the next step up with more horsepower because that computing power would be wasted on such a device).

So, would there be a market for a 40-inch monitor with a capable computer and TV components built in checking in at around $2,499. I would think the answer is an unqualfied yes. I mean lots of consumers are trying to incorporate computers into the HT set-ups so an all-in-one would be tempting. In terms of cost, if you put together a HTPC set-up and a 40" high-quality screen, it wouldn't be that much cheaper than opting for this product. The reduction in clutter would be worth it to some folks to pay a bit of a premium.

Makes sense and if Aople chooses to call it an iMac, what's the difference. It's still mission accomplished.
  • Reply 134 of 140
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Came across this article talking about Sonos and their views on Airplay and audio. The CEO is quite candid about where they stack up and where they don't. I enjoyed the article but one comment stood out.

Interview with Sonos CEO John McFarlane

McFarlane says

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John McFarlane

And in my personal view, and I don?t think it?s terribly controversial now, is that Apple will come out with a TV and I think that it?s going to rapidly change that whole space. But we look a lot at it because it?s a very unhealthy space in terms of getting great sound with your video. But it?s a really hard one to bite off well right now. And if we can?t do it well, we?re not going to do it. You can see that I?ve thought about it a little bit.

Hmmmm perhaps I should wait and see how things shake out

• Reply 135 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

This rumor is complete hogwash from an analyst who has never accurately predicted anything about Apple in the past.

The con-artist analyst who came up with this rumor SPECIFICALLY invented it to drive up the value of his firm's investment in Apple shares.

It's so incredibly obvious what is going on here, yet AppleInsider and other websites publish this guy's ramblings as if it were news.

I wish AppleInsider would ban the publishing of unfounded rumors like this one.

As Apple's previous products have demonstrated they always think outside the Box...Shouldn't we do the same. Otherwise, we remain slaves to the current moribund TV paradigm. Consider this, what has been the yet unrealized Holy Grail of TV??? Interactivity! I would proffer that did this with phones and stereos (iPhone and iPod).

Again, Think outside the box.
  • Reply 136 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Came across this article talking about Sonos and their views on Airplay and audio. The CEO is quite candid about where they stack up and where they don't. I enjoyed the article but one comment stood out.

Interview with Sonos CEO John McFarlane

McFarlane says

Hmmmm perhaps I should wait and see how things shake out

As Apple's previous products have demonstrated they always think outside the Box...Shouldn't we do the same. Otherwise, we remain slaves to the current moribund TV paradigm. Consider this, what has been the yet unrealized Holy Grail of TV??? Interactivity! I would proffer that Apple did this quite well with phones and stereos (iPhone and iPod).

Again, Think outside the box; It sets us and others free as well.

Happy investing.
  • Reply 137 of 140
    just read this on another apple site:

"It has been speculated that a possible networked television set from Apple won’t gain traction due to vendors going after each other’s throat with low-priced commodity products that yield very slim margins. This would force Apple out of the entry- to mid-level range and the company would price itself even out of the premium segment, conventional wisdom has it. Then again, wasn’t the mobile landscape riddled with same barriers to entry prior to the iPhone? With the average selling price of a premium LCD TV falling below the magic $1,000 barrier, however, the timing for an Apple television couldn’t be better. A stylish 50-inch television set priced at $999 with the shiny Apple logo could easily hit the ground running and here’s why."

after reading this i said to myself, i would definitely drop $999 for a 50" apple television! i have recently looked at 50" tv's that were much more $ than that and i am sure apple would do a great job with it.
  • Reply 138 of 140
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ham_bone View Post

just read this on another apple site:

"It has been speculated that a possible networked television set from Apple won?t gain traction due to vendors going after each other?s throat with low-priced commodity products that yield very slim margins. This would force Apple out of the entry- to mid-level range and the company would price itself even out of the premium segment, conventional wisdom has it. Then again, wasn?t the mobile landscape riddled with same barriers to entry prior to the iPhone? With the average selling price of a premium LCD TV falling below the magic $1,000 barrier, however, the timing for an Apple television couldn?t be better. A stylish 50-inch television set priced at $999 with the shiny Apple logo could easily hit the ground running and here?s why."

after reading this i said to myself, i would definitely drop $999 for a 50" apple television! i have recently looked at 50" tv's that were much more $ than that and i am sure apple would do a great job with it.

They could say the same thing about the computer and it would apply. Apple has always stayed out of the low margin stuff and a HDTV would be no different. It isn't Vizio or Westinghouse that fears Apple's entry into the market it's Samsung, Panasonic, Sharp and others who are selling the higher end TV and attempting to woo customers with their version of networked TV which frankly suck.
  • Reply 139 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

They could say the same thing about the computer and it would apply. Apple has always stayed out of the low margin stuff and a HDTV would be no different. It isn't Vizio or Westinghouse that fears Apple's entry into the market it's Samsung, Panasonic, Sharp and others who are selling the higher end TV and attempting to woo customers with their version of networked TV which frankly suck.

agree. success of itunes and appstore and the blatant copying of them shows why a well made tv with an apple tv "store" should make those companies nervous.
  • Reply 140 of 140
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    According to 9to5Mac, LG has dismissed the report of Apple partnering with them on a 55' OLED TV. Says no way for at least another three years or so.

http://9to5mac.com/2011/08/22/no-ole...-sources-warn/