Google rushing out Android 4 "Ice Cream Sandwich" to counter iPhone 5

Comments

• Reply 61 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Thank you for providing one of the most informed and professional responses these boards have seen yet.

You're welcome.
  • Reply 62 of 137
    sessamoidsessamoid Posts: 182member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by droideggs View Post

Both HTC and Samsung are reporting record profits. I wouldn't consider themselves 'getting smacked' right now.

Do you just make up facts to support your argument?

Samsung Earnings Near 2-Year Low on Weak Demand, dated July 17, 2011.

Quote:

Samsung Electronics, the world's top memory chip maker, reported its weakest quarterly profit in almost two years on Friday, and warned challenging business conditions would remain in place due to heightening competition and economic uncertainty.

Samsung may be setting earnings records, but they're not the positive kind.
  • Reply 63 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Based on your Android-esque username, coming to an Apple enthusiast website claiming that Samsung / Android is in the clear, when they are not, simply tells me your here to provoke.

Geez, now I feel like the Gestapo is after me. Should I show you my identification papers while we're at it ?

Nowhere on my first post did I mention that Samsung/Android is in the clear. I merely said that Samsung / HTC is making record profits. How that equates to 'in the clear' you tell me.

Secondly, I love my iPad2. I shouldn't ever have to prove others that I am a 'fan of Apple.'

Thirdly, believe it or not, there are folks here that love both Android and iOS platform. I never understood why folks have the urge of going 'all in' with Android or iOS, but not both.

I like to diversify my mobile devices. Thats just me though, and I would never align myself with a publicly traded company whose sole purpose is to maximize profits for shareholders on a quarterly basis, whether it be Microsoft, Google, or Apple for that matter.

I'm enjoying the mobile war that has commenced since the original iPhone launch though. We are only benefiting from it.

anywho, my $.02
  • Reply 64 of 137
    zaim2zaim2 Posts: 45member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

Interesting that Android folks accuse apple of "borrowing" it's notifications system seeing as Android "borrowed" it from WebOS in the first place.

So the first Android phone released in October 2008 went into the future and stole the system from WebOS when it was introduced by Palm in January 2009 and then released in June 2009?
  • Reply 65 of 137
    I can't believe the levels of ignorance on display in this site.

Android is far superior to iOS in many many ways. The Samsung Galaxy S2 will most likely still be better than iPhone 5 in every way except perhaps processor speed.

When Ice Cream Sandwich comes out it will again put Android ahead of Apple regardless of when it comes out. The writer went for the sensationalist approach, fully aware that Google never says when something is going to be released and only do it when they are happy with their product. They are far more innovative than Apple and after enjoying an Android for two months I would never go back to a closed system like Apple. I love playing any music or video format I like and with the 40+ gb of memory, thanks to microsd card support, I can take a lot of my collection anywhere I like.

I'm all for passion towards technology but ignorant 'reporting' just wastes my time.

In answer to the person asking why GMail isn't part of Android by default, Google offer all their apps separate to the OS because that way they can keep their options open over when updates are released and are not held up waiting for carriers to push their release. Therefore providing a better solution for end users.

Just to clarify, I love Apple computers which is why I like this site, but I just think iOS devices are ordinary and not worth the hype.
  • Reply 66 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post

Wow, five huh? Those dirty slime at Apple!

Actually, the first one is wrong, so 4 i guess.

Actually, so are the fourth one and the fifth one.

So, 2?

Come to think of it, I am not sure Android invented over the air updates, so maybe they both copied that.

But hey, I will give you the notifications. You got 'em there. That must really sting. I bet Apple closes up shop and goes home when they realize they are redoing notifications because Android did it better!

....wait, Steve admitted that when he previewed iOS 5 didn't he? Hmmm, maybe they don't care.

But hey, keep trying.

Android has had native sync with google cloud Apps for years. The twitter is not "integrated into the os" but it works with all of features natively, if you take a picture you can share it to facebook, twitter, email, etc. Do a little research next time will you. I
  • Reply 67 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sessamoid View Post

Do you just make up facts to support your argument?

Samsung Earnings Near 2-Year Low on Weak Demand, dated July 17, 2011.

Samsung may be setting earnings records, but they're not the positive kind.

No, I do not make up facts. Based on this Bloomberg report, Samsung's Telecommunications unit has seen their profits double

Quote:

Earnings at Samsung?s telecommunication unit more than doubled in the quarter because of demand for Galaxy smartphones, which compete with Apple Inc. (AAPL)?s iPhone. That helped the company overcome falling prices of memory chips and weakening demand for display panels used in computers and other electronic devices.

Q2 Samsung Phones - 19.2 million units

Q2 Apple iPhone - 20.3 million units
  • Reply 68 of 137
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    They announced ICS back at their developer conference (where they gave it the name "Ice Cream Sandwich" and said it was coming this year BACK THEN. I fail to see how this is "News"
  • Reply 69 of 137
    Quote:

No, I do not make up facts. Based on this Bloomberg report, Samsung's Telecommunications unit has seen their profits double

From your Bloomberg report:

Quote:

Net income fell 18 percent from a year earlier to 3.51 trillion won ($3.3 billion) in the three months ended June

That's not "record profits". In fact, that's "falling profits". They did better last year.
  • Reply 70 of 137
    Quote:

That's not "record profits". In fact, that's "falling profits".

We need to recognize that Samsung is a conglomerate. They make refrigerators, ships, TV's, memory, displays. There are sub-units within Samsung as a whole.

Why are we discussing Samsung's television department?

Samsung's Telecommunications unit made record profits. Doubled, as per Bloomberg article.

Samsung as a whole? As you mentioned, due to weak tv sales, profits dropped.
  • Reply 71 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anthropic View Post

I can't believe the levels of ignorance on display in this site.

Android is far superior to iOS in many many ways. The Samsung Galaxy S2 will most likely still be better than iPhone 5 in every way except perhaps processor speed.

When Ice Cream Sandwich comes out it will again put Android ahead of Apple regardless of when it comes out. The writer went for the sensationalist approach, fully aware that Google never says when something is going to be released and only do it when they are happy with their product. They are far more innovative than Apple and after enjoying an Android for two months I would never go back to a closed system like Apple. I love playing any music or video format I like and with the 40+ gb of memory, thanks to microsd card support, I can take a lot of my collection anywhere I like.

I'm all for passion towards technology but ignorant 'reporting' just wastes my time.

In answer to the person asking why GMail isn't part of Android by default, Google offer all their apps separate to the OS because that way they can keep their options open over when updates are released and are not held up waiting for carriers to push their release. Therefore providing a better solution for end users.

Just to clarify, I love Apple computers which is why I like this site, but I just think iOS devices are ordinary and not worth the hype.

That's your opinion and you're welcome to it... but... remember this... just saying it doesn't make it true. I know this will be a blow to you... but... you could actually be wrong.
  • Reply 72 of 137
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Double what amount in what time frame? You've stated no values or dates.

Quote:

You list all Samsung "Phones" and the specific smartphone Apple sells, the iPhone. Are these figures for all of Samsung's phones? Are they all smartphones in the same class as the iPhone?
  • Reply 73 of 137
    Quote:

We need to recognize that Samsung is a conglomerate. They make refrigerators, ships, TV's, memory, displays. There are sub-units within Samsung as a whole.

Why are we discussing Samsung's television department?

Samsung's Telecommunications unit made record profits. Doubled, as per Bloomberg article.

Samsung as a whole? As you mentioned, due to weak tv sales, profits dropped.

Because you have no proof. Samsung didn't break out revenue per individual product. You're making an an assertion with no foundation.
  • Reply 74 of 137
    jman2ujman2u Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While aimed at a release date at the end of the year, BGR reported today that "it?s looking like the first Ice Cream Sandwich devices could start hitting the ground in as early as October," noting that "we have been told that Google is looking to push up the release of Ice Cream Sandwich devices as Apple?s iPhone 5 is expected in September or October, and the Mountain View-based company doesn?t want potential customers coming out of contracts (especially original DROID owners) and 'drooling over the iPhone 5.'

Sorry, Google. Original Motorola Droid owner impatiently waiting for iPhone 5.

I wanted the iPhone 3GS before but did not want to switch from Verizon to AT&T after hearing the network horror stories. I signed up for a 1-year contract and figured I'd get a Verizon iPhone 4. Of course, that took longer than expected so I figured I'd just wait for 5.

I was at first pleased with the Droid, but the performance has really suffered over the past several months. I don't know if that is due to recent updates or what. I don't have that many apps (free, of course) installed so I can't imagine that's why the performance sucks now. Maybe the software performance just degrades over time (e.g. Android rot). But then, I can't even update to the latest Gingerbread 2.3 release which is ridiculous.

Android an okay mobile OS, but it's just not there yet. Maybe in a few more years it will be more comparable to iOS if they ever get their fragmentation issues worked out. I'm done with it though.
  • Reply 75 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Double what in what time frame? You've stated no values or dates.

You list all Samsung "Phones" and the specific smartphone Apple sells, the iPhone. Are these figures for all of Samsung's phones? Are they all smartphones in the same class as the iPhone?

Doubled since same time last year, which makes sense as SGS II has been selling well both in Asia and Europe.

19.3 million smartphones based on this Reuters article; 74 million phones total

Quote:

Research firm Strategy Analytics said Samsung sold 74 million handsets including 19 million smartphones, replacing Nokia to become the world's No.2 smartphone vendor after Apple.

There's no doubt though, iPhone is still king of handsets. No smartphone manufacturer can compare in terms of profit margins and number of handsets sold per product.

Quote:

Because you have no proof. Samsung didn't break out revenue per individual product. You're making an an assertion with no foundation.

oh?

Quote:

Operating profit from its telecoms division more than doubled to 1.67 trillion won from 630 billion won a year ago, helped by strong sales of a new version of its flagship smartphone Galaxy S.

Are you now going to insinuate that Reuters is picking up numbers out of the blue, and Reuters isn't reliable now ?
  • Reply 76 of 137
    jman2ujman2u Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While aimed at a release date at the end of the year, BGR reported today that "it?s looking like the first Ice Cream Sandwich devices could start hitting the ground in as early as October," noting that "we have been told that Google is looking to push up the release of Ice Cream Sandwich devices as Apple?s iPhone 5 is expected in September or October, and the Mountain View-based company doesn?t want potential customers coming out of contracts (especially original DROID owners) and 'drooling over the iPhone 5.'

Sorry, Google. I'm one of those original Motorola Droid owners impatiently waiting for iPhone 5.

I wanted the iPhone 3GS before but did not want to switch from Verizon to AT&T after hearing the network horror stories. I signed up for a 1-year contract and figured I'd get a Verizon iPhone 4. Of course, that took longer than expected so I figured I'd just wait for 5.

I was at first pleased with the Droid, but the performance has really suffered over the past several months. I don't know if that is due to recent updates or what. I don't have that many apps (free, of course) installed so I can't imagine that's why the performance sucks now. Maybe the software performance just degrades over time (e.g. Android rot). But then, I can't even update to the latest Gingerbread 2.3 release which is ridiculous.

Android an okay mobile OS, but it's just not there yet. Maybe in a few more years it will be more comparable to iOS if they ever get their fragmentation issues worked out. I'm done with it though.
  • Reply 77 of 137
    Quote:

That's not "record profits". In fact, that's "falling profits". They did better last year.

That's because samsung sells more than phones. While their Cellphone industry is doing well, their other industries are doing poorly which is why they had a net negative.

From that bloomberg report:

"Profit at the telecommunication unit rose to 1.67 trillion won from 630 billion won, the company said in the statement today." AKA, profit from mobile more than doubled.
  • Reply 78 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Double what amount in what time frame? You've stated no values or dates.

It's in the report he linked:

Profit at the telecommunication unit rose to 1.67 trillion won from 630 billion won, the company said in the statement today.

Also worth noting that profit more than doubled while telecommunications sales only went up by 43%
  • Reply 79 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jman2u View Post

Sorry, Google. Original Motorola Droid owner impatiently waiting for iPhone 5.

Do you have a task killer? If yes: That is your problem

Edit: You also don't want gingerbread on your droid. My father's droid with Froyo performs better than my droid with an overclocked Gingerbread rom for everyday tasks.
  • Reply 80 of 137
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Both HTC and Samsung are reporting record profits. I wouldn't consider themselves 'getting smacked' right now.

I would say with the exception of Nokia, almost all smartphone hardware manufacturers are doing well now, thanks in partly to the original iPhone that started it all.

Each happens to have multi-billion dollar contracts with Apple.