Google rushing out Android 4 "Ice Cream Sandwich" to counter iPhone 5

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DGNR8 View Post

Here we go with the ID10T error again

Being unaware of a 70 year old slang expression doesn't make one an idiot.
  • Reply 122 of 137
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Being unaware of a 70 year old slang expression doesn't make one an idiot.

Blackhead. A 70 year old "slang" expression... for what zits do when you don't manage them.

Right...
  • Reply 123 of 137
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Why should anyone take Android seriously when they give it names such as Frozen Yogurt and Ice cream sandwich? Another example of Google trying to be cool.
  • Reply 124 of 137
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joebob View Post

Hey Google remember me? Droid 1 bought on DAY 1? Still running your P.O.S. android 2 system that you forgot all about. Now that my two year contract has just ended, I am truly excited that the iPhone 5 is coming soon. I can't wait to dump two droid 1 phones for the iPhone 5 on Verizon. I have suffered with your crap operating system long enough. BYE BYE Droid........

Good Man!
  • Reply 125 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MessagePad2100 View Post

I know exactly where Apple ripped off the iPhone from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton_MessagePad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton_OS#Features

Apple even shamelessly copied the tv ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh-yed48e0Y

Just in case anyone missed it...
  • Reply 126 of 137
    Waiting for Android 4.0!!! Its gonna be awesome.
  • Reply 127 of 137
    I can tell which blogs are from DED. They routinely are the ones that have among the highest hit counts/posting numbers. And what is curious is the fact that by driving post numbers so high his style and contribution here are reinforced, in spite of the considerable diatribe laid at his feet by the usual conspirators *cough* *cough* *IRELAND* *cough*.

That being said, I didn't find anything in the article that was actually untrue, and I confess, in the same way my wife - an intelligent, educated and articulate person in her own right - loves to read trashy romance novels, I love to read DED's take on what's happening in the rough and tumble world of consumer electronics. I count on his endearingly Apple-sided analysis sprinkled liberally with poised snarkiness and pointed approbation whereever the target seems best suited. It's a fun read, and as someone who has both extensive history in technology and a peer of Gates and Jobs and Woz and JLG and all the rest, he is not so far off the mark in the main as some would insist. But just like rum-laden sickly-sweet tropical frou-frou drinks with umbrellas don't appeal to everyone, niether does DED, and that's just fine.

The supreme irony is in the fact that his detractors, critics and trolls go to great lengths to decry his bias and his writing here and abjectly fail to realize that by posting so much all they are doing is reinforcing his apparent popularity - the very thing they desire least.

Tres amussant n'est pas?
  • Reply 128 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

I can tell which blogs are from DED. They routinely are the ones that have among the highest hit counts/posting numbers. And what is curious is the fact that by driving post numbers so high his style and contribution here are reinforced, in spite of the considerable diatribe laid at his feet by the usual conspirators *cough* *cough* *IRELAND* *cough*.

That being said, I didn't find anything in the article that was actually untrue, and I confess, in the same way my wife - an intelligent, educated and articulate person in her own right - loves to read trashy romance novels, I love to read DED's take on what's happening in the rough and tumble world of consumer electronics. I count on his endearingly Apple-sided analysis sprinkled liberally with poised snarkiness and pointed approbation whereever the target seems best suited. It's a fun read, and as someone who has both extensive history in technology and a peer of Gates and Jobs and Woz and JLG and all the rest, he is not so far off the mark in the main as some would insist. But just like rum-laden sickly-sweet tropical frou-frou drinks with umbrellas don't appeal to everyone, niether does DED, and that's just fine.

The supreme irony is in the fact that his detractors, critics and trolls go to great lengths to decry his bias and his writing here and abjectly fail to realize that by posting so much all they are doing is reinforcing his apparent popularity - the very thing they desire least.

Tres amussant n'est pas?

Seconded. His intent may very well be clear to present negatives about competitors, but he always seems to present far more detailed facts and numbers than other authors.
  • Reply 129 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Why should anyone take Android seriously when they give it names such as Frozen Yogurt and Ice cream sandwich? Another example of Google trying to be cool.

Hah. and have *i*[insert every apple product here] isn't the same thing? you people....

Of course Google's pushing this out for the fall. It's THE FALL. Everything comes out here, whether it's game consoles, games, pc hardware, phones, OSs etc etc.

Yet at the same time, I'm sure Apple is also rushing to push out ios5.

So honestly, nothing new here. move along
  • Reply 130 of 137
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Apple copied many Android features for IOS5.

Microsoft is evolving the desktop metaphor with windows 8 while Apple leaves it the same.

How is the rest of the industry scrambling to keep up again?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

seems like business as usual - apple announce and release a product in their own sweet time while the rest of the industry scrambles round like headless chickens trying to keep up...

• Reply 131 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Microsoft is evolving the desktop metaphor with windows 8 while Apple leaves it the same.

This. I still can't get over the notification bar apple is ripping off.
  • Reply 132 of 137
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm not up to speed with this. Is this stuff about that DED guy again?

iThinks.
  • Reply 133 of 137
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

Tres amussant n'est pas?

You read into my little post a lot lol
  • Reply 134 of 137
    j.r.j.r. Posts: 27member
    Quote:

Correction: Microsoft is adapting it's metro ui to Windows 8 after seeing Apple adapt it's iOS interface to Lion via LaunchPad.

Thanks for another example of Apple being the leader and the rest followers.
  • Reply 135 of 137
    Quote:

I was unaware that Microsoft was still in business.............
  • Reply 136 of 137
    Quote:

Yes they did...undeniably really...they also melded it with WebOS's notifications.

Which is understandable. iOS notifications currently BLOW...and Android notifications could be better (and based on 3.0+ they do get better with single notification removal and all).

What I don't get though is that when another company copies and adapts an Apple idea it's a travesty, an outrage, CALL THE LAWYERS!!!! but if Apple does it all of a sudden I see charts like:

Apple copied Android

Android copied WebOS.

Call me wrong...but wasn't Android out before WebOS by a good 2 years?

Google should patent that time machine.

Anyways...my point is that...Good for Apple...this new notification scheme looks amazing and real functional.
  • Reply 137 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google is reportedly scrambling to deliver the next version of Android for both smartphones and tablets to ensure that iPhone 5 doesn't appear on the market first and without a competitive response from its licensees.

Google shipped Android 2.2 Froyo to its smartphone licensees last year just prior to iOS 4, following up with a 2.3 Gingerbread release in December that incorporated support for NFC tags, improved copy and paste, and the company's WebM video codec.

However........

Is there any evidence to back any of this up? ICS was mentioned well before iOS 5 was...and the date of release (Q3/4 2011) has been known.

I think this article is BS flamebait.