Google rushing out Android 4 "Ice Cream Sandwich" to counter iPhone 5

Comments

• Reply 81 of 137
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by droideggs View Post

Geez, now I feel like the Gestapo is after me. Should I show you my identification papers while we're at it ?

Nowhere on my first post did I mention that Samsung/Android is in the clear. I merely said that Samsung / HTC is making record profits. How that equates to 'in the clear' you tell me.

Secondly, I love my iPad2. I shouldn't ever have to prove others that I am a 'fan of Apple.'

Thirdly, believe it or not, there are folks here that love both Android and iOS platform. I never understood why folks have the urge of going 'all in' with Android or iOS, but not both.

I like to diversify my mobile devices. Thats just me though, and I would never align myself with a publicly traded company whose sole purpose is to maximize profits for shareholders on a quarterly basis, whether it be Microsoft, Google, or Apple for that matter.

I'm enjoying the mobile war that has commenced since the original iPhone launch though. We are only benefiting from it.

anywho, my $.02

Here at Apple Insider, appreciation for any product that competes w/ Apples' is best left at the door. 98% of the folks here are unable to think or speak without a massive bias. It is like Apple evangelist training camp.
  • Reply 82 of 137
    j__hj__h Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Digler's reaching again: Android users have been enjoying iOS 5 for a long time.

This actually seems to be the truth. The big features that are now coming to IOS are what Android has had for ages. Competition is a good thing it drives both platforms forward, but this release is pretty clearly one where IOS is catching up, and this is good for both platforms.

For those that say Apple is innovative are clearly lost within the walled garden. What Apple does is put out an extremely solid products that rely on features which, generally, have been out and proven before they are integrated to the system. This assures them of a device that works very well. You hear this from there marketing department as "we did it right."

Most of the limitations you see on the Iphone are an attempt to have the product be idiot proof. It is a trade-off, functionality vs ease of use. The two platforms live in different areas of the trade-off. Choose where you like to be and stop acting like the other platform "sux's". There is no one "right" for everyone. They are both awesome platforms choose your poison.
  • Reply 83 of 137
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anthropic View Post

I can't believe the levels of ignorance on display in this site.

Android is far superior to iOS in many many ways. The Samsung Galaxy S2 will most likely still be better than iPhone 5 in every way except perhaps processor speed.

When Ice Cream Sandwich comes out it will again put Android ahead of Apple regardless of when it comes out. The writer went for the sensationalist approach, fully aware that Google never says when something is going to be released and only do it when they are happy with their product. They are far more innovative than Apple and after enjoying an Android for two months I would never go back to a closed system like Apple. I love playing any music or video format I like and with the 40+ gb of memory, thanks to microsd card support, I can take a lot of my collection anywhere I like.

I'm all for passion towards technology but ignorant 'reporting' just wastes my time.

In answer to the person asking why GMail isn't part of Android by default, Google offer all their apps separate to the OS because that way they can keep their options open over when updates are released and are not held up waiting for carriers to push their release. Therefore providing a better solution for end users.

Just to clarify, I love Apple computers which is why I like this site, but I just think iOS devices are ordinary and not worth the hype.

Ah geez this post is going to get raped.
  • Reply 84 of 137
    I'm really looking forward to iPhone 5.

As long as its not made of all glass, and has a bigger screen, I will drop my DX for iP5 in a heartbeat.

I just really want iOS to have its own native navigation application, but I know that Jobs got something up his sleeve that will impress everyone once it comes out who knows when.
  • Reply 85 of 137
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

I can't believe the levels of ignorance on display in this site.

Android is far superior to iOS in many many ways. The Samsung Galaxy S2 will most likely still be better than iPhone 5 in every way except perhaps processor speed.

When Ice Cream Sandwich comes out it will again put Android ahead of Apple regardless of when it comes out. The writer went for the sensationalist approach, fully aware that Google never says when something is going to be released and only do it when they are happy with their product. They are far more innovative than Apple and after enjoying an Android for two months I would never go back to a closed system like Apple. I love playing any music or video format I like and with the 40+ gb of memory, thanks to microsd card support, I can take a lot of my collection anywhere I like.

I'm all for passion towards technology but ignorant 'reporting' just wastes my time.

In answer to the person asking why GMail isn't part of Android by default, Google offer all their apps separate to the OS because that way they can keep their options open over when updates are released and are not held up waiting for carriers to push their release. Therefore providing a better solution for end users.

Just to clarify, I love Apple computers which is why I like this site, but I just think iOS devices are ordinary and not worth the hype.

Hi, five posts. Please stop while you're behind.
  • Reply 86 of 137
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Each happens to have multi-billion dollar contracts with Apple.

And it's samsung's semi-conductor (you know their deal with apple) that took the biggest hit to their profits.

Their big jump was mobile, as their reports show.
  • Reply 87 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

And it's samsung's semi-conductor (you know their deal with apple) that took the biggest hit to their profits.

Their big jump was mobile, as their reports show.

so much competition within the semi-conductor side.

heh, i'm just realizing that these SoC's are just a small part of Samsung's business. Which branch would it fall under?

Motorola's TI OMAP SoC

HTC's Qualcomm SoC (Snapdragon, etc)

Samsung's Exynos SoC

Marvell's ARMADA SoC

NVIDIA's Tegra SoC

Apple A series SoC (stays within Apple though)

and probably more...
  • Reply 88 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

Here at Apple Insider, appreciation for any product that competes w/ Apples' is best left at the door. 98% of the folks here are unable to think or speak without a massive bias. It is like Apple evangelist training camp.

99.357%... and proud of it.
  • Reply 89 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by J__h View Post

This actually seems to be the truth. The big features that are now coming to IOS are what Android has had for ages. Competition is a good thing it drives both platforms forward, but this release is pretty clearly one where IOS is catching up, and this is good for both platforms.

For those that say Apple is innovative are clearly lost within the walled garden. What Apple does is put out an extremely solid products that rely on features which, generally, have been out and proven before they are integrated to the system. This assures them of a device that works very well. You hear this from there marketing department as "we did it right."

Most of the limitations you see on the Iphone are an attempt to have the product be idiot proof. It is a trade-off, functionality vs ease of use. The two platforms live in different areas of the trade-off. Choose where you like to be and stop acting like the other platform "sux's". There is no one "right" for everyone. They are both awesome platforms choose your poison.

Did someone leave the door open again...
  • Reply 90 of 137
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

Android is far superior to iOS in many many ways.

Then why is it that the only thing that you can actually find to say that makes Android superior is that (some of) the handsets support SD cards?

Now is that a nice feature? Sure it is - but is it enough to claim that Android is far superior in many ways? Nope. Not even close - and I say that as somebody who has mostly filled his 160Gb iPod Classic.
  • Reply 91 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hi, five posts. Please stop while you're behind.

C'mon can we stop with the 'post count' rubbish? Some other guy got hassled for only posting once yesterday. Droideggs got hassled about it in this thread. I've gotten hassle for posting too much. He's making his point badly but he's doing it politely thus far and there's no point having a forum if nobody can disagree.

You're better than this!
  • Reply 92 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

c'mon can we stop with the 'post count' rubbish? Some other guy got hassled for only posting once yesterday. Droideggs got hassled about it in this thread. I've gotten hassle for posting too much. He's making his point badly but he's doing it politely thus far and there's no point having a forum if nobody can disagree.

You're better than this!

+1
  • Reply 93 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by droideggs View Post

As long as its not made of all glass, and has a bigger screen, I will drop my DX for iP5 in a heartbeat.

Ok, I get that the glass is fragile, but is it really that bad? The back has to either be glass, metal or plastic. Glass and ceramic are fragile, metal shields the antenna (unless they go external again), and plastic is just naff. Carbon fibre may be pricey but if feels cheap.

What other materials are there that they could use?

Apple likes luxurious materials that seduce the hand as much as the eye - it's an important part of the brand experience. But the only other luxurious materials after you eliminate metal and glass are all natural products that simply don't have the structural properties required and would seem faintly ridiculous for a hi tech product.

I mean I can just about imagine Hermès making a leather backed smartphone, but Apple?
  • Reply 94 of 137
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:

Ok, I get that the glass is fragile, but is it really that bad? The back has to either be glass, metal or plastic. Glass and ceramic are fragile, metal shields the antenna (unless they go external again), and plastic is just naff. Carbon fibre may be pricey but if feels cheap.

What other materials are there that they could use?

Apple likes luxurious materials that seduce the hand as much as the eye - it's an important part of the brand experience. But the only other luxurious materials after you eliminate metal and glass are all natural products that simply don't have the structural properties required and would seem faintly ridiculous for a hi tech product.

I mean I can just about imagine Hermès making a leather backed smartphone, but Apple?

If you look at the repair numbers, the number of "shattered" iphone4's is a lot higher percentage than previous shattered claims.

As for plastic, I think it's all in the presentation. For example, I don't think the Droid "incredible" feels cheap, nor did my blackberry bold when I had it. The Samsung Fascinate.. yeah, that type of plastic feels cheap.
  • Reply 95 of 137
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by J__h View Post

For those that say Apple is innovative are clearly lost within the walled garden. What Apple does is put out an extremely solid products that rely on features which, generally, have been out and proven before they are integrated to the system.

Gosh, I must have been imagining things when it seemed virtually the entire world was saying a touch-screen smartphone wouldn't work and wouldn't sell.

I think something has to be said for the importance of and effort behind Apple's system integration, as well, since the competition has virtually nothing to say here. Just think how much faster Apple's developers could implement new features if they didn't have to worry about consistency, compatibility, design, and security.
  • Reply 96 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Gosh, I must have been imagining things when it seemed virtually the entire world was saying a touch-screen smartphone wouldn't work and wouldn't sell.

I think something has to be said for the importance of and effort behind Apple's system integration, as well, since the competition has virtually nothing to say here. Just think how much faster Apple's developers could implement new features if they didn't have to worry about consistency, compatibility, design, and security.

The other poster was referring to iOS 5 which compared to the state android has been for the last few years added no new innovation intact it seemed it was mainly stuff that should have been in the os from day one.
  • Reply 97 of 137
    Quote:

Then why is it that the only thing that you can actually find to say that makes Android superior is that (some of) the handsets support SD cards?

Now is that a nice feature? Sure it is - but is it enough to claim that Android is far superior in many ways? Nope. Not even close - and I say that as somebody who has mostly filled his 160Gb iPod Classic.

This. Ask a Google lover why Android is better and they'll spit out a bunch of things about iPhone (very little about Android itself) that for the vast vast vast majority of users will never be an issue. Ask an iPhone user why they think their platform is better and there will be nothing specific, as it's the entire experience, the OS as a whole. Why a platform is good is almost entirely subjective, though certainly where a platform falters is objective. The cited "faults" with iPhone are always subjective, based on principles, or are specific to a single user's case (in which case it's fine that they don't use it). I find it shines a bright light on the "war", that those that are neutral or on the iOS side tend to be reasonable, while the "Phandroids" can only spew dribble.
  • Reply 98 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

This. Ask a Google lover why Android is better and they'll spit out a bunch of things about iPhone (very little about Android itself) that for the vast vast vast majority of users will never be an issue. Ask an iPhone user why they think their platform is better and there will be nothing specific, as it's the entire experience, the OS as a whole. Why a platform is good is almost entirely subjective, though certainly where a platform falters is objective. The cited "faults" with iPhone are always subjective, based on principles, or are specific to a single user's case (in which case it's fine that they don't use it). I find it shines a bright light on the "war", that those that are neutral or on the iOS side tend to be reasonable, while the "Phandroids" can only spew dribble.

As a lover of android the reasons I use it have little to do with the iphone, I like it for its customization, and the flash capabilities (I love watching the daily show on the way to work.) I like that I have a Gameboid advance emulator on my phone, I like that I have access to the file system to add media, (I hate itunes... And windows for that matter of use linux for everything but games. So the file system is a necessity) I also loved my bigger screen. Don't generalized. For me there is nothing wrong with liking one over the other its when people feel the need to hatevthe other that bothers me. Just because you date blonds does not mean that you have to hate brunettes
  • Reply 99 of 137
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

What was the specific release date for Android?

I'd only heard Q4, and according to this article that hasn't changed, just that -- according to a single unnamed source -- they might be able to complete it a few weeks ahead of original estimates.

But if you have a URL citing a specific release date I'm sure we'd all enjoy reading it.

Thanks.

There is no specific date as of now or ever been released to the public. October is still in Q4 so it's not THAT big of a move if true.
  • Reply 100 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TomMcIn View Post

When ICS melts down, one is left with a big, gooey mess and two sodden black cookies. Did Android picture that when they picked the name?

Careful, careful...... there's PC police out there.....