Acer suffers first-ever quarterly loss, predicts iPad 'fever' will recede

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

I spotted that, but what's well over 50%? More than 50, less than 60? Otherwise it would be over 60% surely.

I don't think anyone knows how many tablets the other manufacturers have sold and they are not very forthcoming with their own highly embarrassing figures. I suspect that the tablet market is more like 90% Apple 10% others.

I can tell more: it's well over 1%

• Reply 22 of 92
    What delicious news first thing in the morning...

Ah today is a little bit brighter all of a sudden
  • Reply 23 of 92
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    When losses are over consecutive quarters, AI can come back with this type of story.

Otherwise, this'll turn into pseudo Nintendo, where one quarter of losses somehow equates to impending doom.
  • Reply 24 of 92
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Actually, the number of touch pads sold is probably around 500,000.

Shipped to Best Buy (and subsequently returned) doesn't count as "sold".
  • Reply 25 of 92
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    There is no consumer "fever" for tablets like the iPad. There is only consumer fever for iPads. That's why Acer is in trouble, and *hopes* that things will do a U-turn.
  • Reply 26 of 92
    Why should I believe that a guy whose company is losing money can see the future accurately?

(That's the question this clown SHOULD have asked himself before he opened his mouth. Too late now - he's let the cat out of the bag, and we know he's a clown.)
  • Reply 27 of 92
    I think Acer still thinks that the end user is like this:

http://www.computing.net/answers/win...ssor/1694.html

Time for Acer to change its strategy if it has not already done so!
  • Reply 28 of 92
    ulfoafulfoaf Posts: 175member
    His comment about tablets being a "fever" that will end and give them back their former customers shows the wrong guy is in charge. They will continue to have problems. Denial ain't a river in Africa, son.
  • Reply 29 of 92
    Where's Donald Trump when you need him?
  • Reply 30 of 92
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In May, chairman Wang and ex-CEO Lanci exchanged heated words over who was to blame for Acer's slump in sales. Lanci said Acer was too slow to react to Apple's iPad, while the company fired back and said their former chief executive was simply unable to deliver results.

If the former CEO was "...simply unable to deliver results.", so says the company. How's that new CEO doing? Everybody Wang-Chun tonight...

/

/

/
  • Reply 31 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

He's right iPad feaver will not last. Problem for him though is it will last around 4 years, right now it's just picking up the pace.

I reckon Christmas and next year will see a sharp increase in sales lasting a couple of years. After that it will still increase each year but at a slower rate and in 4 years time sales will level out. 6 years time they will start to drop as it become less of a must have adult toy. Bit like the iPod did.

Please... stop with the toy comments... or at least with the comments that make it look like the iPad can only be viewed as a toy.

The iPad has only been out 19 months... think of where it will be in 4 years... 6 years... 10 years... even more people will be dropping their notebooks and desktops for a pad and more businesses will find a place for them.

Oh shit... I have to stop right there... we just traveled down this road... carry on... Acer is doomed etc.
  • Reply 32 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisRankin View Post

and in 4 years the refresh cycle will be kicking into full swing with original purchasers upgrading to newer models.

What'ch you talk'n about Willis...

iPad (original) owner looking to upgrade to iPad 3.

June 2010 - Feb 2012? (iPad 3 release date rumored, I believe), anyway, just in time to re-up and get a new iPad and new AppleCare all within 2 years!

/

/

/
  • Reply 33 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Please... stop with the toy comments... or at least with the comments that make it look like the iPad can only viewed as a toy.

Lots of PC makers out there who want to get into the adult "Toy" market.

Boy that sounded perverse...

/

/

/
  • Reply 34 of 92
    C'mon Wang quit making bone head statements... quit dicking around and get serious. The whole idea that the iPad will peter out is ridiculous. Just re-tool and move forward.
  • Reply 35 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Lots of PC makers out there who want to get into the adult "Toy" market.

Boy that sounded perverse...

/

/

/

I think the Chairman's name went to his head... hmmmm... that didn't sound right.
  • Reply 36 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Traditional pc's are still selling well, it's the foolish forays into tablets which have cost the manufacturers.

But there are little profits to be made in selling PCs, because traditional PC makers have completely commoditized the product in a race to the bottom.

Apple was the only one that stepped aside from the rat race, refusing to sell loss leaders, but selling high quality products with a decent profit margin. Of course, they were only able to do so because they were the only ones that had a different OS.

The non-iPad tablet makers are going down the same route. They have no differentiation from each other and so are entangled in a race to the bottom. I doubt anyone besides Apple will be making much money from tablets either.
  • Reply 37 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    You guys are being too hard on Wang, the iPad fever has receded. It's now the iPad 2 fever.
  • Reply 38 of 92
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You guys are being too hard on Wang, the iPad fever has receded. It's now the iPad 2 fever.

If the the hard on Wang continues for more than four hours we should consult a doctor!
  • Reply 39 of 92
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

• Reply 40 of 92
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    This is why HP exited the PC business. It is a downward spiral where prices keep going down and profit margins get thinner and thinner, or in Acer's case you sell at a loss, apparently. Market share means nothing!