Acer suffers first-ever quarterly loss, predicts iPad 'fever' will recede

Comments

• Reply 41 of 92
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dullblade View Post

I think the iPad "fever" will recede also.....whenever everyone has one.

I understand your meaning but looking at the iPod phenomenon that's not even the case ... people bought multiple iPods, passing them on to family etc. as they got the latest and greatest. I really expect the same thing. Heck I paid around $500 each for two iPod 60MB (still going strong by the way) as did many so the price is even comparable at the higher end. I bet the day will come when the average iPad user will say he is on his 4th, 5th or 6th ... (and all are still going strong).
  • Reply 42 of 92
    A fever you say.....

....perhaps they need more cowbell.
  • Reply 43 of 92
    grmacgrmac Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Let me apologize in advance for poking a little fun. Did you mean paradigm or did you actually mean what you wrote (pyridine: a basic heterocyclic organic compound with the chemical formula C5H5N)?

I'm only kidding though. Peace.

Pendulum reminder:

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2011/07/...bm-mainframes/
  • Reply 44 of 92
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 514member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ulfoaf View Post

His comment about tablets being a "fever" that will end and give them back their former customers shows the wrong guy is in charge. They will continue to have problems. Denial ain't a river in Africa, son.

Better still, they say that tablets are a fad, but apparently are trying to get some Android tablets to market? OK...
  • Reply 45 of 92
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
  • Reply 46 of 92
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I had one immediate response to the 'iPad fever will recede' comment... I've wiped my eyes now but my sides are still aching.

Seriously though, boy was Lanci correct or what?

What he really meant was that iPad fever will recede in the distance as Acer is left behind in the dust.
  • Reply 47 of 92
    By the time iPad fever fades, Chairman Wang will have been long replaced.
  • Reply 48 of 92
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

I had one immediate response to the 'iPad fever will recede' comment... I've wiped my eyes now but my sides are still aching.

The real concern is that those traditional notebook computers won't be Acer ones. Gasp, all those might be replaced with Macs. The horror
  • Reply 49 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

He's right iPad feaver will not last. Problem for him though is it will last around 4 years, right now it's just picking up the pace.

I reckon Christmas and next year will see a sharp increase in sales lasting a couple of years. After that it will still increase each year but at a slower rate and in 4 years time sales will level out. 6 years time they will start to drop as it become less of a must have adult toy. Bit like the iPod did.

Yeah, and in the meantime, as with the iPod, Apple will be standing still and not innovating towards the next big thing.

You perfectly encapsulate the mindset of other PC companies.
  • Reply 50 of 92
    I have never seen anyone using an Acer computer, but then again I don't travel to Indonesia.

I can just imagine what a cheap, windows bloated piece of shit it must be.
  • Reply 51 of 92
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by res08hao View Post

I have never seen anyone using an Acer computer, but then again I don't travel to Indonesia.

I can just imagine what a cheap, windows bloated piece of shit it must be.

Acer is popular in Asia because it is semi-decent for the price. But most working people know to just spend a little bit more for a HP or Dell... Especially after their experience with Acer. To Acer's credit, all PC laptops are cheap, windows bloated pieces of crap. No one is even close to the unibody design. NO ONE. After ALL THIS TIME. NOWHERE EVEN CLOSE.
  • Reply 52 of 92
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,282member
    To the extent that any fever exists for any non-iPad tablets, I agree that it will recede. But that's not much consolation to Acer.

So two of the largest PC makers in the world -- HP and Acer -- are finding that it is no longer a profitable business. I wonder if HP is going to find that they can't sell the PC business and that spinning it off will end up being unappealing, because the IPO price would have to be very low. They might decide it's best just to close the darn thing down and take a big charge. Better to do that then to end up as another Kodak.
  • Reply 53 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

The real concern is that those traditional notebook computers won't be Acer ones. Gasp, all those might be replaced with Macs. The horror

Yes I agree. Not just NoteBooks but also PCs as Steve suggested. A Mac is not a PC even though many Pee Ceers seem to now want to claim it is. PCs (i.e. Wintel Crap Boxes) are going to continue to decline (rapidly I predict) but like you, I think we will see a continued growth in Macs of all types, perhaps even new Macs which we have yet to even imagine.
  • Reply 54 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

To the extent that any fever exists for any non-iPad tablets, I agree that it will recede. But that's not much consolation to Acer.

So two of the largest PC makers in the world -- HP and Acer -- are finding that it is no longer a profitable business. I wonder if HP is going to find that they can't sell the PC business and that spinning it off will end up being unappealing, because the IPO price would have to be very low. They might decide it's best just to close the darn thing down and take a big charge. Better to do that then to end up as another Kodak.

Maybe the Samsung rumor has legs and they are stupid enough to buy HP's PC business and guarantee they continue to fail.
  • Reply 55 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Acer is popular in Asia because it is semi-decent for the price. But most working people know to just spend a little bit more for a HP or Dell... Especially after their experience with Acer. To Acer's credit, all PC laptops are cheap, windows bloated pieces of crap. No one is even close to the unibody design. NO ONE. After ALL THIS TIME. NOWHERE EVEN CLOSE.

The irony is that Apple's design of an aluminum unibody is seen as the holy grail. I am pretty sure whatever design Apple had would be seen as that. These PC makers simply have zero design or innovation ability and what ever Apple does that what they have to do. I have to think Apple deliberately deigned these things to be almost impossible to copy at a price they can afford as well as the beautiful looks.
  • Reply 56 of 92
    Quote:

I agree. The lulz were epic on this one. Tablet fever? Really. There's a slide from Steve Jobs 2010 unveiling of the iPad where he explained Apple's belief that there existed a market for devices slotted between smartphones and traditional laptops. And you know what? He was right. Tablet ain't a fever baby, it's a market. Is United Airlines equipping their flight crews with smartphones or laptops? No. iPads. Wang's thinking is exactly why Acer is where it is today: reacting to Apple instead of creating the future. If Wang wants to wait for people to get sick of their iPads and return to buying his company's trashy, cheap "netbooks" then by all means, keep building them.

And by the way, I used to own an Acer notebook back in the day. It was heavy, noisy, had a laughably short battery life, and the Acer label came off while I was cleaning the exterior. Acer will never get my money again.
  • Reply 57 of 92
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    I always have a certain respect for companies that refuses to do exactly what Apple does.
  • Reply 58 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Let me apologize in advance for poking a little fun. Did you mean paradigm or did you actually mean what you wrote (pyridine: a basic heterocyclic organic compound with the chemical formula C5H5N)?

I'm only kidding though. Peace.

I was wondering the same thing!

Maybe it's the result of a pesky auto-complete or suggestion "feature".
  • Reply 59 of 92
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    What's with the pictures, Wang? It's a parking lot!
  • Reply 60 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dullblade View Post

I think the iPad "fever" will recede also.....whenever everyone has one.

Exactly.