Steve Jobs resigns as Apple CEO

Comments

• Reply 121 of 329
    eacummeacumm Posts: 93member
    If it can be done, Mr. Jobs will invent iLife and live on forever.
  • Reply 122 of 329
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Bear in mind that:

(1) The role of CEO of the world's most valuable technology company would exhaust most, completely fit men. Fortunately, Tim Cook is up to the task!

(2) Steve is probably recognising the fact that after such an extended period of time as acting CEO, Tim would be under unreasonable pressure having to report to someone who might not, from day-to-day be available.

Hopefully, this decision will give Steve a greater opportunity to manage his health issues effectively.

Get well Steve!
  • Reply 123 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

iSad

I couldn't agree more

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

It's the end of an era that will be studied by business students for decades. Turning a near-brankrupt company into the world's most valuable one in less than 15 years. Arguably inventing the iPod and the iPad and entering a saturated cell phone market and dominating it in 2-3 years.

A remarkable man and a reminder that sickness has not the wisdom to choose its victims. I hope he can restructure his life to regain his strength. Flawed or not, Steve Jobs is the name that will always stand above all others when people look back at the birth of the personal computing age.

I have a lot of confidence in Tim Cook and wish Steve Jobs good health and a long life.

Well said. My true hope is that he will have the opportunity to spend more time with his family and have an opportunity to enjoy the fruits of his labor.
  • Reply 124 of 329
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    He knew he was not going to be there forever.

He did the right thing at the perfect time.

Now Tim Cook can have iOS 5, iPhone 5 and iPad 3 under his belt & the world will see that Apple will survive without SJ.

Best wishes Steve.
  • Reply 125 of 329
    Thanks for all the wonderful gifts Steve! Grab a girl and enjoy the rest of the ride!
  • Reply 126 of 329
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Simply put, Steven P. Jobs is a brilliant genius. The type of legend that only comes once per generation....

...or even once per century.

Fight, Steve, fight!!! Fight just as hard as you did for Apple when you rejoined 14 short years ago..... and proceeded to change the world.

I wish you well, my friend, a friend I've never met. Yet you have influenced my life, for the better, more than any person I have ever known.
  • Reply 127 of 329
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcoleman1 View Post

Thanks for all the wonderful gifts Steve! Grab a girl and enjoy the rest of the ride!

He's married with kids.
  • Reply 127 of 329
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

This move is long overdue. But how could he not know if the board wants him to stay on as chair? That part of this announcement strikes me as very strange indeed.

I would imagine that it was politeness on his part, and who knows, maybe a bit of calculation.

There would be no way that the board wouldn't want him to retain that title. It's very likely that his role in the company will remain exactly as it is. It's the role best suited to him.

Of course, we expected Tim Cook to succeed him as he said the succession plan indicated. At least now we can stop seeing all the inane articles about how the board is looking outside the company for a successor.
  • Reply 127 of 329
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member
    live long and prosper! Thanks for the many memories and the "one more thing"! You will be missed
  • Reply 130 of 329
    To all those fretting about the stock price, don't !!

Investors have known for a long time that this day would come. That is why the stock has been trading at such a low valuation. Aside from a low price to earnings ratio, Apple has cash and marketable securities on its balance sheet of $81 per share, and is adding to it at the rate of $44 per year and the rate is growing !! Now that the news is out, I would not be surprised to see the stock reach new highs in a few weeks.

Second, Steve is continuing as Chairman of the Board. So, he will still be involved and that probably means that his health is stable.

Third, he is entitled to spend his time any way he wants. He has given a lot to Apple for many years. I am sure he wants to spend more time with his family and engage in other pursuits for the rest of his life (which could very well be for a very long time).

Steve is the most remarkable entrepreneur, innovator, and businessman in the history of business. Nobody even comes close. Apple is a remarkable company and will continue to be for quite some time.
  • Reply 131 of 329
  • Reply 132 of 329
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Jackass. Don't you have something better to do, like go lob unsold TouchPads at cars on the freeway?

Would you prefer that he say something like "Just don't get cancer that way"?
  • Reply 133 of 329
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    The actual resignation letter can be viewed here if you wish>

http://nan.visibli.com/share/yQkB2o
  • Reply 134 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I suspect you are right, and this was the other implication of the announcement. The succession was probably all but done six months ago, which makes me wonder yet again why it took so long.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Cook is not charismatic in any sense of the word which is probably better for Apple right now. Trying to find another genius to replace Jobs is not going to be easy, but again I think that may also be part of the eventual succession plan. Fortunately, Apple, I'm sure, has a business plan and product pipeline several years forward, mainly inspired by Steve, so there is no rush to find a new visionary, but, I think eventually they are going to need one.

I almost don't want to post this... As this thread is about Steve Jobs.

Tim Cook has had a few public interviews and the earnings calls -- where he demonstrates confidence, succinctness, humor and total command of the situation... That is kind of charasmatic in its own way,

One question that I haven't heard asked... Who will replace Tim Cook?
  • Reply 135 of 329
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

Steve Jobs was the man (and my favorite cult leader), and Apple is going to struggle a while without him.

Rubbish. To consumers, I doubt we will see any changes in Apple or its products in the next 2-3 years because Steve is no longer CEO. Especially considering he will still be working with the company.

After Steve no longer has any input at all at Apple, it will probably take another year or two after for us to see/feel any difference.

-kpluck
  • Reply 136 of 329
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

Please God...

Let Steve have "just one more thing"

Just want to say thanks, Steve! From the 1st computer: Apple II, I helped me great deal and improved career and life alike. Glad you will be the Chairman and employee of Apple. whew! still need you to show some magic to update my G4 i-Mac. The i-pod like Mac-Pro just not cut it. With you on board, I sure can wait a bit longer. Thanks for the wonderful products you and Steve W created. It enrich life and fatted pockets a bit (brought few shares of Apple around the time you got back to Apple. brought few of BEOS too. Both are my "mad money" investment for good engineering work). Good luck and Best wishes to you Health, Wealth and Happiness.
  • Reply 137 of 329
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    Truly a sad day.....

I wish him and his family well....
  • Reply 138 of 329
    I pray that you are healed Steve first for your loved ones and second for all of us whom you have inspired and built up. Your products changed my life for the better in so many ways I can't begin to number. Godspeed. You are loved by so many.
  • Reply 139 of 329
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    I have criticized Apple lately for several things: but never Mr Jobs! Everything he has done and said has panned out! The whole industry today operates on his vision. His influence is too large to measure. The man improved a lot of lives! I tell him thanks and wish him everything golden!
  • Reply 140 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

One question that I haven't heard asked... Who will replace Tim Cook?

Yeah, and then who will replace *them*?