Apple searching for another missing prototype left in SF bar

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple is urgently working with police to recover another missing iPhone prototype, this time left in a bar in San Francisco's Mission District.

The new prototype went missing at the end of July, according to a report by CNET.

Apple's security team scrambled to find and recover the missing device to avoid a replay of the embarrassing incident that occured shortly before the launch of iPhone 4, when a similarly misplaced advanced prototype was found and ended up in the hands of Gizmodo, which paid the finders $5,000 and subsequently published photos of the device just prior to its official unveiling.

Two of the individuals allegedly involved with finding and fencing the stolen iPhone 4 prototype last year, Brian Hogan and Sage Wallower, have been charged with misappropriation of lost property and possession of stolen property, but the San Mateo County district attorney's office decided that arguing a case against Gizmodo would be too much work.

Searching for the missing iPhone 5

Apple tracked the location of the missing prototype from the Cava22 bar on 22nd Street in the Mission (pictured below) to a house in San Francisco's nearby Bernal Heights neighborhood. Company representatives contacted police asking for help in recovering the device, which Apple reportedly described as "priceless."

Police questioned a man in his early twenties at the location, and while admitting he had been at the bar said he did not have the prototype or know anything about it. He allowed police to search the house for the device, but nothing was found.

Apple's representatives reportedly offered the man a cash reward for its recovery with "no questions asked," but the man continued to report no knowledge of the device.

Apple never filed a police report detailing the loss (which would have made any reported details of the device public), and has apparently still not recovered the phone. The report noted that the prototype may have been sold on Craigslist for $200, but neither Apple nor Craigslist would comment on the matter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 155
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Jesus, this is quite a screw-up. How many people do they have to fire before they can get rid of the careless drunks from their payrolls?
  • Reply 2 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Jesus, this is quite a screw-up. How many people do they have to fire before they can get rid of the careless drunks from their payrolls?

Exactly.
  • Reply 3 of 155
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    I hope it wasn't the same person who lost the iPhone 4...
  • Reply 4 of 155
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
  • Reply 5 of 155
    Gizmodo did say, recently, that they would do it again if they had the chance...
  • Reply 6 of 155
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    In related news, DED has lost the article about missing prototype.

edit: Now there is an article. I see what AI did.
  • Reply 7 of 155
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Story here:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20...one-exclusive/

I don't know, but Apple may want to update their usage policy for field testers to prohibit taking prototypes into bars.

Quote:

Apple electronically traced the phone to a two-floor, single-family home in San Francisco's Bernal Heights neighborhood, according to the source.

When San Francisco police and Apple's investigators visited the house, they spoke with a man in his twenties who acknowledged being at Cava 22 on the night the device went missing. But he denied knowing anything about the phone. The man gave police permission to search the house, and they found nothing, the source said. Before leaving the house, the Apple employees offered the man money for the phone no questions asked, the source said, adding that the man continued to deny he had knowledge of the phone.

I am guessing that they used FindMyiPhone to trace it and it was turned off at some point. I wonder if the prototypes might be periodically transmitting their location in the background, allowing Apple to know it's last location prior to being turned off. Relying on it being left on in order to trace it once it is discovered and reported to be missing seems like it would be too much after the fact to do much good.
  • Reply 8 of 155
    Scavenger hunt?
  • Reply 9 of 155
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    I wonder what it's a prototype of...

iPad 3?

next gen macbook pro?

iphone 5?

Look! I just wrote a longer article that DED!!!!!
  • Reply 10 of 155
    Maybe it was just a Samsung phone that looked like an iPhone.

Last year, Phone lost in April, released in June. This year lost in July, released in Sept? (fingers crossed!!)
  • Reply 11 of 155
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

Maybe it was just a Samsung phone that looked like an iPhone.

Yeah, and Apple is looking for it.
  • Reply 12 of 155
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    Apple should start requiring that only employees who do not drink should be given prototypes.

This is getting ridiculous.
  • Reply 13 of 155
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is urgently working with police to recover another missing prototype, this time left in a bar in San Francisco's Mission District.

Forget about carjacks, assaults, or missing children. This is important! Apple lost an iPhone.
  • Reply 14 of 155
    This is what happens when apple takes its time to release a product they are well prepared to have already launched.

I am angry that they allow the WS shsyters to continue to play with the PPS. I hope samsung gets this one and makes makes a copy and releases it before apple does. With the way litigation works, it will be years before apple gets compensated.

I don't understand why apple cannot just come clean as to how well iphone and ipads are selling. Instead of downplaying their sales, I believe it is their fiduciary responsibility to update sales projections if they are greater than what they reported in the last Q report.

Maybe if samsung takes the thunder out of apple, management and the BOD would be more responsive to attacks on the stock price.
  • Reply 15 of 155
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Crazy if true.

Like all large organizations, it's basically impossible to prevent people from doing stupid things, or have nefarious or unlucky things happen. It's amazing Apple is able to keep things secret for so long, and basically all the way to within a few weeks of public unveiling.
  • Reply 16 of 155
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fjose1929 View Post

This is what happens when apple takes its time to release a product they are well prepared to have already launched.

I am angry that they allow the WS shsyters to continue to play with the PPS. I hope samsung gets this one and makes makes a copy and releases it before apple does. With the way litigation works, it will be years before apple gets compensated.

I don't understand why apple cannot just come clean as to how well iphone and ipads are selling. Instead of downplaying their sales, I believe it is their fiduciary responsibility to update sales projections if they are greater than what they reported in the last Q report.

Maybe if samsung takes the thunder out of apple, management and the BOD would be more responsive to attacks on the stock price.

?????????????????
  • Reply 17 of 155
    For such a secretive company, they sure do suck at looking after prototype hardware.

Good to see the police getting involved. You know who to call next time you're inept enough to keep your cellphone secure.
  • Reply 18 of 155
    udogudog Posts: 1member
    So if it's a new prototype, and it's running iOS 5, how about a location-based reminder that alerts you to remember the device if you're XXX feet/miles/whatever away?

Oops, nevermind, that doesn't make sense...stupid brain...
  • Reply 19 of 155
    .. find my iPhone! \
  • Reply 20 of 155
    Apple was much smarter this time. They covered this iPhone prototype in a Moto Dynatac housing.