Samsung pulls Galaxy Tab 7.7 from German trade show after injunction

Comments

• Reply 21 of 212
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

All I want, in terms of "competition", is for some company, other than Apple, to take the tablet idea and turn it on it's head again. Come up with some new radical idea for an interface, some new way to access data, find some new ways to use it.

Jeez you want competition? That would be it right there.

Copy-tition is not competition. Sammy and the rest deserve to be flushed down the toilet unless they come up with their own way of presenting it. Fuck them.

Exactly. These copies are not competition. They provide inferior alternatives, they do not drive innovation. I am not sure why Apple is bothering with legal challenges in the tablet market. Th marketplace is doing a good job rejecting all this trash on it's own.
  • Reply 22 of 212
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So Apple will somehow invent a successor OS to iOS from scratch in less than a year?

You're being harsh to Psych_guy . That has been Apple's MO many times over. The difference with the iPad is that they are looking to have an iPod-like domination right out of the gate. If they get HiDPI display on the next iPad I don't see how competitors will be able to catch up in the foreseeable future, but as of right now there is a chance for them to get a healthy chunk of the tablet market Apple created.
  • Reply 23 of 212
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    Quote:

[...]Come up with some new radical idea for an interface, some new way to access data, find some new ways to use it. [...]

[...]Copy-tition is not competition. [...]

Look at the other markets: computers, OSs, cars, speakers, spoons, you name it.

What's left to be invented in the very near future? Teleporting apps ?! Let them compete with whatever they can design or copy (at some degree).
  • Reply 24 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

that's too bad...

Competition is needed, even if the products are looking almost the same.

yes. Competition is good if its free.

But do something own and follow the law.

Samsung abused its position as a supplier to Apple and copied design elements. Samsung is greedy here. Apple buys components from Samsung for over 7 billion. This is Samsungs largest customer. Still Samsung have to release exact clones of Apple products.

And the Android mess.

Google management lives in the "free" internet world.

Instead of inventing something own, they bought Android. They chose to use Linux instead of Unix that leaves them open for litigation. Free software is not free.

Somehow Google and Android vendors know that they are doing something wrong. Why would 6 of 18 Android cell phone makers pay MSFT 5-15 dollar per Android device if they didn't believe that they needed the protection? Why is Google desperate and buys Motorola mobile for over 12 billion just to find some patent to swap with Apple?

Palm managed to make a legal system in WebOS.

MSFT also did it with WinMo 7x.

Why can't Google do it?

So far Android is the most expensive free OS in the world. Billions in protection fees to MSFT and tens of billions in patent hunting for Google.
  • Reply 25 of 212
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:

So Apple will somehow invent a successor OS to iOS from scratch in less than a year?

Since Apple registered the iPad design in the 1990s, it is possible they are already working on it...
  • Reply 26 of 212
    Quote:

All I want, in terms of "competition", is for some company, other than Apple, to take the tablet idea and turn it on it's head again. Come up with some new radical idea for an interface, some new way to access data, find some new ways to use it.

Jeez you want competition? That would be it right there.

Copy-tition is not competition. Sammy and the rest deserve to be flushed down the toilet unless they come up with their own way of presenting it. Fuck them.

They may need to fire those who simply wants to maintain the same way of doing things because it worked before. The industry needs new blood.
  • Reply 27 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Exactly. These copies are not competition. They provide inferior alternatives, they do not drive innovation. I am not sure why Apple is bothering with legal challenges in the tablet market. Th marketplace is doing a good job rejecting all this trash on it's own.

Legally Apple have to defend its patents. If they don't, the patent is not legal.

HP has shown how to sell out a non Apple Tablet. Just sell them at a loss. Nothing hinders Google to start subvention tablets to undercut iPad. Google would make up for the loss with its data mining and advertising.
  • Reply 28 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

This is the ad... no Android anything... anywhere. Unless I missed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMW7xDM-XXI

1) I didn't see anything about Android.

2) That's a good commercial. If I was aware of the iPad's strengths and the Galaxy Tab's shortcomings that ad would have made be very interested in the device.
  • Reply 29 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You're being harsh to Psych_guy . That has been Apple's MO many times over. The difference with the iPad is that they are looking to have an iPod-like domination right out of the gate. If they get HiDPI display on the next iPad I don't see how competitors will be able to catch up in the foreseeable future, but as of right now there is a chance for them to get a healthy chunk of the tablet market Apple created.

You're right. I apologize.

Heck, I believed there are better ways to go about tablet OS than a straight port of iOS back before the iPad launch, and I still believe that. We'll just have to wait for Apple to show it to us.
  • Reply 30 of 212
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

What's left to be invented in the very near future? Teleporting apps ?! Let them compete with whatever they can design or copy (at some degree).

I want to see a tablet that I can write, draw like a paper. Technology will go forward. It will not end here.
  • Reply 31 of 212
    Quote:

Everything that can be invented has been invented.

. . . . .~ Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. patent office, 1899 (attributed)*
    * This fairly common attributed quote, however, there is no evidence to suggest Duell or anyone else at the patent office made such a claim.
  • Reply 32 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Instead of inventing something own, they bought Android. They chose to use Linux instead of Unix that leaves them open for litigation. Free software is not free.

Someone needs to research the UNIX tree

Essentially iOS isn't UNIX, its UNIX-like.

UNIX is just a trademark that companies have to pay alot to get now-a-days, Apple paid it for OS X.

Linux is UNIX-like, and im not going to go into the Linux/GNU naming thing.

BSD which OS X is based off, is open source and free, and thats UNIX-like.

Darwin which is OS X kernel, is also free and open.

WebKit is also free and open, and powers pretty much the browser on all smartphones, as well as having a large chunk of web browser market share with Chrome & Safari.
  • Reply 33 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

yes. [...]

I agree, but, just try to imagine the world now with no Android (maybe without WM as well), just iOS and 'touch' Symbian (rip), (great) WebOS (rip), and all the other tentatives which are more or less dead or having an extremely small market share as of now. Sounds like a nice monopoly to me, with prices reaching the sky.

Personally, I like all those copycats on the market, so I can buy whichever I want.

(PS: I use iPhone, as I can see the difference.)

PS: if any spelling mistakes, say thanks to LION's innovative and unique spelling feature, which nobody shall implement it, or it will be called copycat.
  • Reply 34 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Samsung used to copy NOKIA and RIM. These guy did nothing about it. Now it's Apple and all hell broke loose. I think all we need is Samsung to design a product of their own ..like Sony just did. Competition is good. We all want competition in design too.

Taiwan culture.

HTC/Samsung/LG started as OEM companies.

They produced for example phones to Ericsson, Nokia and so on.

Then they understood that they could sell the product themselves.

Nokia is the greatest example how to destroy a company.

They have empty factories. Instead of using them building their Win7 phones, they hire HTC to produce the phone.

Of course HTC will use this to produce their own Win7 phones.

This out sourcing madness needs to stop.
  • Reply 35 of 212
    Apple come up with technology so disruptive and innovatory that it's hard to believe that we could have ever done anything any other way. Remember back in the 1980s when MS brought out their shitty copy of the Macintosh OS ? Apple sued MS, whose (successful) defence was "well what other way of designing a PC is there ? Just like cars have steering wheels all personal computers need a mouse" etc. etc.

Not one of Apple's competitors has done anything other than offered a watered down version of Apple's products. Look at the OS design of the Galaxy S and the Tab - could you live with yourself if copying the look and feel down to the same shape and colour of the icons was the best you could do ? At least MS tried to come up with something different in the latest version of Windows Mobile.
  • Reply 36 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I want to see a tablet that I can write, draw like a paper. Technology will go forward. It will not end here.

Wacom makes those.

Heck, Wacom just started making something absofrickinglutely awesome: An ink pen that automatically translates your physical paper drawings into vector art.
  • Reply 37 of 212
    Quote:
    Everything that can be invented has been invented.

. . . . .~ Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. patent office, 1899 (attributed)*
    * This fairly common attributed quote, however, there is no evidence to suggest Duell or anyone else at the patent office made such a claim.

Can I quote myself? Ok: "in the very near future".
  • Reply 38 of 212
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Wacom makes those.

I know but it's just not consumer friendly. Something like Courier is nicer.

Quote:

Heck, Wacom just started making something absofrickinglutely awesome: An ink pen that automatically translates your physical paper drawings into vector art.

I'm not sure why but I have zero interest in that pen.
  • Reply 39 of 212
    Quote:

1) I didn't see anything about Android.

2) That's a good commercial. If I was aware of the iPad's strengths and the Galaxy Tab's shortcomings that ad would have made be very interested in the device.

It tells me that Samsung has no qualms about benefiting from the fruits of Apple's labors.

The key to success is to copy the look of the iPad and then advertise it as the same thing... but better.

Leaving out all traces of android... of course.
  • Reply 40 of 212
    Getting sick of seeing that same old AppleInsider image on Samsung devices before and after the iPhone. Never mind the bollocks that is design patents in the first place.