Microsoft again clarifies that Windows 8 tablets won't actually run Windows apps

13567

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post


    they became content and seemingly cocky...



    honestly, if I wasn't a tinkerer (turning beast into beauty) I could see myself having left Windows years ago.



    I was working with an Apple reseller for 4 years, with some breaks in between. I kept my gaming PC rig going because of PC gaming - Mass Effect 2, Dead Space 1/2, Team Fortress 2, Portal 1/2, Need For Speed, Dirt 1/2, Dawn Of War, Starcraft 2, Batman:Arkham being the notable titles off the top of my head. (XP2 Pro did the job, Vista was garbage, then Windows7 64bit was quite decent)



    I also put together some PC rigs (not from scratch, the computer shop helped) for running the CCTV for the Apple reseller shops. Thanks to choosing some quality components (Gigabyte mobo's and GPUs) and running RAID0 they seem to have lasted for at least 3 years now... remember with constant writing to the disk of at least 6 cameras in each shop. I'm proud to say the shop managers managed to review footage to catch quite a few dodgy things happening during this time.



    Over time the fledgling Apple reseller I was working for got all the office staff to switch to Macs and they had dedicated IT staff so I moved on to training and web development roles.



    Even thus, in general I thought it would be "good" to maintain my own PC rig to at least keep in touch with Windows to keep my job options open. Gaming was the nice bonus, AMD Kuma and ATI 4830 offered great gaming value for money driving a 1920x1080p monitor.



    But Dirt 2 was pretty much my last PC gaming title. Broken promises of DX10, mediocre console ports, no or faked antialiasing (one of my biggest pet peeves), endless convoluted DRM, constant connection to laggy Internet servers, not to mention unexpected CPU lags in a game, and the horrendous Games for Windows Live has made me decide to finally ditch my PC gaming for Xbox360, which I hope to get in a few months time.



    If I need Windows to keep my job options open, I have VMWare Fusion 3 on Lion which is decent, and the promise of VMWare Fusion 4 to really put the Windows-on-Mac issue to rest.
  • Reply 42 of 135
    "A variety of enterprise users are already using legacy Windows apps on the iPad, using Citrix, along with other native iOS apps. Whether Microsoft can convince them to switch to Windows 8 remains to be seen."



    That right there is a just mountain of horse shiii!te. iPad's are not running "legacy windows apps" they are running a citrix client which is nothing more than a RDP or VNC client.



    I have no doubt that Citrix will provide a client for Windows 8 ARM. I have not doubt that any Windows 8 x86 tablet will NOT need a citrix client and will run any app Windows 7 can today. How well it works with touch is a nother matter.



    DED you are the KING of FOAMING at the mouth anti-ms spin. You shame this site with your 5th grader bs.
  • Reply 43 of 135
    This site is too funny. Let Microsoft fail on it's own. If they are doing stupid things, don't waste your energy and go worry about something else; don't get yourself all wrapped up around the axel for a company that won't exist in 18 months



    Now having said that, DED is so worried about these latest Microsoft plans, that he was on WinRumors today spewing his usual garbage. Too funny!
  • Reply 44 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    It just keeps getting better and better for Microsoft. They've pretty much lost the plot at this stage.



    Microsoft has minimal traction in the cloud, mobile and tablet spaces. In fact, they've lost a lot of ground.



    They're lucky most businesses' hopeless dependency on Wintel-Office will see Microsoft through to the end of the decade.



    Minimal traction on the cloud? Hotmail/Live/Skydrive 500 million users. Office 365 etc. Compared to what mobile me?
  • Reply 45 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post


    I've been reading these windows users posts and it really is comical. What kind of moron thinks that these standard desktop apps would run on lower powered ARM tablets? Especially MSFT's own bloated Office pigs. In classic MSFT fashion, they are confusing their own users albeit with a confused strategy. Windows 8 is nothing more than Windows with neon lights.



    Before showing your ignorance in public, you should watch the keynotes.
  • Reply 46 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    I was working with an Apple reseller for 4 years, with some breaks in between. I kept my gaming PC rig going because of PC gaming - Mass Effect 2, Dead Space 1/2, Team Fortress 2, Portal 1/2, Need For Speed, Dirt 1/2, Dawn Of War, Starcraft 2, Batman:Arkham being the notable titles off the top of my head. (XP2 Pro did the job, Vista was garbage, then Windows7 64bit was quite decent)



    I also put together some PC rigs (not from scratch, the computer shop helped) for running the CCTV for the Apple reseller shops. Thanks to choosing some quality components (Gigabyte mobo's and GPUs) and running RAID0 they seem to have lasted for at least 3 years now... remember with constant writing to the disk of at least 6 cameras in each shop. I'm proud to say the shop managers managed to review footage to catch quite a few dodgy things happening during this time.



    Over time the fledgling Apple reseller I was working for got all the office staff to switch to Macs and they had dedicated IT staff so I moved on to training and web development roles.



    Even thus, in general I thought it would be "good" to maintain my own PC rig to at least keep in touch with Windows to keep my job options open. Gaming was the nice bonus, AMD Kuma and ATI 4830 offered great gaming value for money driving a 1920x1080p monitor.



    But Dirt 2 was pretty much my last PC gaming title. Broken promises of DX10, mediocre console ports, no or faked antialiasing (one of my biggest pet peeves), endless convoluted DRM, constant connection to laggy Internet servers, not to mention unexpected CPU lags in a game, and the horrendous Games for Windows Live has made me decide to finally ditch my PC gaming for Xbox360, which I hope to get in a few months time.



    If I need Windows to keep my job options open, I have VMWare Fusion 3 on Lion which is decent, and the promise of VMWare Fusion 4 to really put the Windows-on-Mac issue to rest.



    Hmm COD and BFBC2 run like a champ on my PC compared to my 360/PS3. I cant wait for BF3 on the PC.....64 player servers....only on the PC.



    You should have tried steam vs Games for Windows Live.
  • Reply 47 of 135
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,740member
    So the plan is to try to get people to hold off buying iPads for the next year (cough, or longer, cough, cough) and then try to sell them Windows 8 tablets that won't run Windows programs?



    I honestly don't understand why they don't release a tablet today running a variant of the Windows Phone software. With WebOS out of the picture, the Windows Phone easily has the second best touch operating system out there.



    It's like there is nobody in a position of power in Redmond with even a modicum of vision...
  • Reply 48 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    But there is a difference! The day the iPad was announced there were hundreds of thousands of apps that would run in it (1x or 2x). AIR, when the iPad was first delivered, 3 months, later, there were 50,000 (or so) native iPad apps.



    What can MS deliver, over a year from now, that can cause someone (or company) to buy a Windows 8 tablet over the then current iPad and all its apps?



    Especially when you consider that each app a user buys gives him an additional reason to stay within the iPad ecosystem.



    Android tablets don't seem to be able crack this nut after more than a year of trying -- what makes you think Windows 8 will be able to after another year or more delay.



    The Windows Phone apps?
  • Reply 49 of 135
    To hell with MS!

    The ipad showed that you can be productive without the bloat. MS unfortunately needs the bloat to justify its existence.
  • Reply 50 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post


    So the plan is to try to get people to hold off buying iPads for the next year (cough, or longer, cough, cough) and then try to sell them Windows 8 tablets that won't run Windows programs?



    I honestly don't understand why they don't release a tablet today running a variant of the Windows Phone software. With WebOS out of the picture, the Windows Phone easily has the second best touch operating system out there.



    It's like there is nobody in a position of power in Redmond with even a modicum of vision...



    If you get the Windows 8 Tablet with x86(x64), then it'll run all Metro and legacy Windows apps.



    If you get the Windows 8 Tablet with ARM, then you'll only get Metro and/or ARM compiled desktop apps.



    I am not sure how will MS market the x86 vs ARM. I can see potential for confusion when someone buys the ARM tablet version expecting full Windows legacy apps.
  • Reply 51 of 135
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post


    Can these idiots please get this right....



    Apps (short for applications) are the name used to describe the programs run on smartphones, tablets, and other mobile devices.



    SOFTWARE is what is run on a laptop or desktop computer.



    That's simply your arbitrary definition.
  • Reply 52 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post


    That's simply your arbitrary definition.



    Exactly. Personally, I use "apps" for iOS and explicitly say "applications" for OS X/other desktop OS'.



    "Software" is a much broader term that can mean 'anything that does crap that involves ones and zeroes'.
  • Reply 53 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post




    "Software" is a much broader term that can mean 'anything that does crap that involves ones and zeroes'.



    I don't know why but I lol'd to this.
  • Reply 54 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post


    I will get bashed for this BUT isnt this an apple website? Why is there a windows news story on the front page?



    having a story, here, that disparages a potential competitor to Apple products and/or services has two purposes 1) offer people the most ineffective means to bash a corporate entity and 2) give people an outlet to justify their reason(s) for siding with Apple in the tablet market. if those people are truly comfortable in their Apple purchases of choice, it shouldn't matter what Microsoft is doing. alas, there's that lingering fear that a non-Apple company will do good for the consumer.
  • Reply 55 of 135
    Look at the pictures in the link - Windows 8 tablet (x86 based) - one of the 5000 handed out by Microsoft - does run legacy x86 App DxDiag!



    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=4096360
  • Reply 56 of 135
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post


    To hell with MS!

    The ipad showed that you can be productive without the bloat. MS unfortunately needs the bloat to justify its existence.



    Now that's the most value per word on this thread so far.



    Thompson
  • Reply 57 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post


    I am shocked. The biggest selling point Windoze has is the x86 huge number of applications. Without this they are actually going to be at a disadvantage to Android and iOS.



    Wow, I am actually impressed MS had the balls to do this...



    i'm not shocked by the 'it won't run PC apps'. Makes sense really, the ARM chips aren't that strong yet.



    It's the web based app thing that has me puzzled. are they saying this is no apps at all and it's all in the browser or are they saying they are all HTML5/Javascript based.
  • Reply 58 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post


    Look at the pictures in the link - Windows 8 tablet (x86 based) - one of the 5000 handed out by Microsoft - does run legacy x86 App DxDiag!



    You just beat me to it. Over 50 posts and no one mentions that the headline is false. Microsoft did not say "Windows 8 tablets won't actually run Windows apps". They said "ARM-based Windows 8 tablets won't run Windows apps". x86-based Windows8 Tablets will support them, as was demoed. What is DED's source that there won't be x86 tablets next year?
  • Reply 59 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


    It's the web based app thing that has me puzzled. are they saying this is no apps at all and it's all in the browser or are they saying they are all HTML5/Javascript based.



    They won't be in the browser, the OS will treat HTML5 apps as native AFAIK. I think they had to do this i.e. go with an existing app platform, because developers' wouldn't embrace yet another tablet platform.
  • Reply 60 of 135
    recrec Posts: 217member
    D o a
Sign In or Register to comment.